ADVERTISEMENT

2016 pre season talk

urbaseballdaddy

JV stand out
Dec 23, 2014
is it to early to start talking baseball , pre season rankings , early predictions , all state potential , POY ?

Caravel should be strong as usual, especially with pitching. The one-two of Fraley and Carney as well as Silan and Marenco on the mound. Defensively strong up the middle with Adams behind the plate, Juhl and Findlay in the middle infield and Fraley/Willis in center. The hands down best player in the state is Fraley. The best outfield arm I've ever seen and an outstanding bat. Defending champions Appo returns most of their team including their one-two of Steckline and Garrett. Otto and Willett are great both offensively and defensively. When not on the mound, Steckline is a solid first baseman and can hit for power and average. They will miss leaders Kurych and Alexander. The other usual supects (St. Mark's and Sallies) will contend as well. Smyrna and Cape have good young talent. Middletown is an up and comer with loads of young talent as well. Missed the playoffs by one game last year with as many as six freshman in the starting lineup.

Appo also picked up a great defensive catcher and leader with Armstrong coming from Sanford

Last edited:
Middletown had one freshman starting at second base. One DH. Never had six in field. They used several freshman pitchers. They have a tougher schedule this year with Cape and Smyrna added.

Never said six in the field. Did have six freshman playing in the lineup including the DH and pitcher once last year. Most games had two or three in the batting lineup. Two full time freshman starters at second and DH. Four others with significant playing time, mostly on the mound. Team finished 10-7. Not bad after losing Peluse as a pitcher to injury after one game(No hitter). Almost every game but a couple were entirely pitched by freshman. Said up and comer, not contender. Very tough schedule this year for sure.

Reactions: Bucsnot
Flight A should be very competitive across the board. Appo, Middletown, Mount, Newark and Penn should all be good. Concord and AI have been historically strong, they could bounce back too. Appo is the team to beat, but I could see any of the others outside of Delcastle making the tournament.

20 teams make the playoffs this year. Will these be the schools that make it in?
  • St Marks
  • Sallies
  • Caravel
  • Appo
  • Middletown
  • Newark
  • Hodgson
  • St Georges
  • Mount Pleasant
  • Archmere
  • Conrad
  • DMA
  • Sussex Tech
  • Sussex Central
  • Dover
  • Cape
  • Smyrna
  • CR
  • Milford
  • Tower Hill

Reactions: urbaseballdaddy
CR? anyone know something I don't, Sussex central lost at least 10 seniors and don't have the pitching , Tech should remain tuff didn't really lose much , Cape should be competitive with young arms lost a lot of bats and play a really tuff out of conference schedule, dover solid as always . milford a few young live arms and not sure about Smyrna

and yes im a Henlopen Conference guy

I'll take a shot. Final standings (points).

Caravel
Appo (Flight A Champ)
Cape (Henlopen North Champ)
Sussex Tech
Middletown
Smyrna
St. Mark's
DMA (Diamond State Champ)
Dover
Salesianum
Polytech
SGT (Flight B Champ)
Hodgson
Conrad
CR
Archmere
William Penn
Friends (Independent Champ)
Milford (Henlopen South Champ)
Tower Hill

TTA, I overlooked William Penn. You are right, they should get in. I disagree about Friends and Tower Hill both getting in. I don't think two teams from the Independent conference can make the playoffs.

TTA, I overlooked William Penn. You are right, they should get in. I disagree about Friends and Tower Hill both getting in. I don't think two teams from the Independent conference can make the playoffs.
I could be wrong, but two teams did make it in 2011, and there will be 4 additional spots this year. Seems like the Independent schedules produce a lot of wins for one or two teams, and the points system really favors that. (I'm not a fan of it.)

Last edited:
Caravel should be strong as usual, especially with pitching. The one-two of Fraley and Carney as well as Silan and Marenco on the mound. Defensively strong up the middle with Adams behind the plate, Juhl and Findlay in the middle infield and Fraley/Willis in center. The hands down best player in the state is Fraley. The best outfield arm I've ever seen and an outstanding bat. Defending champions Appo returns most of their team including their one-two of Steckline and Garrett. Otto and Willett are great both offensively and defensively. When not on the mound, Steckline is a solid first baseman and can hit for power and average. They will miss leaders Kurych and Alexander. The other usual supects (St. Mark's and Sallies) will contend as well. Smyrna and Cape have good young talent. Middletown is an up and comer with loads of young talent as well. Missed the playoffs by one game last year with as many as six freshman in the starting lineup.
Defensively Caravel may be ok but will they be able to hit?

Caravel sometimes gets by with great pitching and solid fielding. They win a lot of low scoring games. That's the mark of great teams. Finding ways to win. They bunt more than any team in the state and will bunt you to death until you stop them. At times with two outs or two strikes. Play small ball, hit and run and straight steal sometimes to a fault. They have practices where you can only bunt or hit ground balls. The coaches are tough on the kids but prepare them to succeed when the pressure is on. As far as will they hit this year only time will tell. They have kids with potential to be great hitters. Fraley will for sure. The reason Caravel players don't usually have huge numbers is the fact that they see every in-state teams' number one pitcher. Some out of state schools use their number two or three but they would be one's for Delaware teams. Believe me it makes a difference. Remember the old adage, "Good pitching always beats good hitting".

Appo also picked up a great defensive catcher and leader with Armstrong coming from Sanford

Great Leader..... Has he even started a game behind the dish in High School? Don't remember hearing anything about him out of Sanford for 2 years. Because if my mind serves me correctly he was even at Caravel in 8th grade. Left there too...

Zachary Miller, Brock Nowell are not on the strongest teams but are Great Leaders

I'll take a shot. Final standings (points).

Caravel
Appo (Flight A Champ)
Cape (Henlopen North Champ)
Sussex Tech
Middletown
Smyrna
St. Mark's
DMA (Diamond State Champ)
Dover
Salesianum
Polytech
SGT (Flight B Champ)
Hodgson
Conrad
CR
Archmere
William Penn
Friends (Independent Champ)
Milford (Henlopen South Champ)
Tower Hill

He is my thoughts:

Appo
Cape
Sallies
Caravel
Middletown
St. Mark's
Smyrna
Sussex Tech
Archmere
Newark Charter
Mount Pleasant
Dover
DMA
Hodgson
Poly
St. Georges
Conrad
William Penn
Milford
Tower Hill

Last edited:
Great Leader..... Has he even started a game behind the dish in High School? Don't remember hearing anything about him out of Sanford for 2 years. Because if my mind serves me correctly he was even at Caravel in 8th grade. Left there too...

Zachary Miller, Brock Nowell are not on the strongest teams but are Great Leaders
not sure what he has done or hasn't done so far im familiar with him from my sons travel org past few years and I just like the kid

NLB, I agree that these boys are talented ballplayers. But I think you are selling their teams short. Miller and Nowell were on teams that were 15-3 and 12-6 last year. I think these are both good teams and both should be in the playoffs this year.

NLB, I agree that these boys are talented ballplayers. But I think you are selling their teams short. Miller and Nowell were on teams that were 15-3 and 12-6 last year. I think these are both good teams and both should be in the playoffs this year.
I was just making a statement that they have been on not the strongest of teams and I consider them more of a leader than Armstrong who was mentioned previously

Dover graduated majority of starters. For them to make serious push Hutchins and Lawson will need to carry them big time on the mound.

NLB, it looks like you have Newark Charter winning the Diamond State. That conference should be fun to watch this year. I love the tough schedule that NCS put together (including Appo, Caravel, Sallies and SGT).

[
NLB, it looks like you have Newark Charter winning the Diamond State. That conference should be fun to watch this year. I love the tough schedule that NCS put together (including Appo, Caravel, Sallies and SGT).
They might have to win DSC to make the tournament. That is a killer non conference slate for a young team, plus with the changes to Diamond State all 8 conference games will be tough.

I think picking Newark Charter to win the Diamond State Conference is a big stretch. They were 10-7 last year and none of their wins were against teams with a winning record except for DE Academy of Public Safety (10-8). NCS likely to finish behind Archmere, Conrad, and DMA.

Did Archmere lose a lot? I know DMA lost their ace this past year. Conrad should have a good year. I can't believe Newark Charter is a favorite over any of those teams bough.

Caravel: Strong up the middle? Adams ( Haven't heard anything about him to even know he exists). Juhl ( Committed but nothing big at SS ) Findlay ( Maybe if the coaches make up their minds where he will play). Fraley (Can't do it all himself. Will need to see a few step up).

Appo: I agree with the 4 mentioned. Steckline is the real deal but I would like to see how Garrett does this year. Otto & Willett are worth mentioning.

Sallies: School full of talent but fail to put it on the field. Seems to come up short. Miller will have to step up and be a leader.

St. Mark's: Always finds a way to compete.

Middletown: Could shock some people. Hidden sleeper that is never talked about enough.

Smyrna & Cape: you just never know game by game if they will show up.

@NEXTLEVELBASEBALL I agree with you on some of that.
Caravel- Should be interesting to watch. Have the POY in my opinion in Fraley so him alone make it worth the watch.
Appo- Otto and Willet both deserve some props good ball players. May have the best 1-2 punch this year.
Sussex Tech- May have the Henlopen POY in Bergh behind the plate. Very balanced team that could be scary in the tourney.
Dover- All they do is find ways to win and make it to the semis. Not sure if they have the firepower to as much as pervious years but again another interesting team.
Middletown- My sleeper team for upstate. With Peluse returning this year with Tomlin and Moran should be a good pitching good. Young team should make a big step this year.
Smyrna & Cape- Both are in the running for the north should be interesting to see how pitching for Smyrna does and how the offense for Cape is. Love the Gillis and Seymour kid from Smyrna. Elliot and Gelof have always impressed me too.
Polytech- My sleeper team for downstate. Offense will be sketchy but solid defense. Olshenske will have to step up if they want any shot at the north.
CR- Don't bring back up at all. As you said with Caravel having Fraley to do everything CR is relying on Ivy to the same.
Milford- Good core of seniors who should easily win the south but a lot of scrappy teams in the south may give them trouble.
Sorry for more coverage in the downstate teams then upstate. As you can see I'm a downstate guy lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT