ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Girl’s hoops season

Filmore00

Tackles too high
Jan 13, 2017
Ursuline is 3x champs and is the top team this year despite injuries and departures. Can Noonan mold the other parts of his roster to continue there control over Delaware hoops? Play a very solid schedule once again which will serve them well come tournament time.

Caravel has a deep squad with no real dominant player. It looks as though they could have anyone of there top 8-9 lead the way on any given night. Can Caldwell keep everyone happy and is there enough playing time to go around? Arguably the toughest schedule in the state.

Sanford has there top 5 players returning from last years team where they were throttled 48-16 in the Semi’s by Ursuline. I’m sure Sanford looks forward to there February 14th match up with Ursuline. Sanford had there 6th man transfer to Caravel. Another player intended to transfer but has returned. A third player was not going to play and is now playing from what I saw at Friday’s playday. Can Thompson develop a bench that can contribute? They play a weak schedule and conference is even weaker.

Conrad has there top 5 players returning and are still so young. They’ve had a lot of success with there youth over the past two seasons with extended tournament runs and look to continue. Rumors of the coach and daughters transferring out of state proved to be invalid. Can Kulesza develop a bench that can contribute? Schedule has improved a bit but new teams to there conference are very weak.

CR returns most of there starting line up minus Haith. Has had a lot of wins playing a much weaker southern Delaware schedule and getting to the quarterfinals the past two season. In those quarterfinals games they were beaten handily by St. E’s 58-36 & Conrad 60-42. Can Victory get his team to break into the top 4 teams in the state? Or will he make more excuses or make a comment that “it’s like Christmas in February” Upgraded schedule a bit.

St. Thomas More was suppose to be a bigger force at the start of last season only lose 7 games and lose in the first round to Sussex Central 50-40. They’ve added to there roster but must prove that they belong. Playing a very weak schedule doesn’t help the cause.

Hodgson has most of there team returning. Just would like to see them add more structure to what they do. Can’t seem to get even close to the top 4-5 teams. Lost to CR twice last season, Caravel, Sanford, & Conrad. One of the weakest schedules.

St. E’s has been depleted by graduation & a few transfers. Has added AI transfer. Could be in the lower half of top 10.

Sussex Central returns a solid core & should win 15-16 games this season. Also, a lower top 10 team

Last edited:
Hello everyone. The great thing about social media is everybody has a chance to say something and make a point. no matter how crazy as it sounds. I had a chance to check out ursuline at the scrimmage, and check out the big play date that was at Sanford. and with the season upon us i have not seen the dominance of what Ursuline and Sanford had in past years. Ursuline has too many injuries and players that have left to get them back to the chip. They did not get any big time players to come in this year as freshmen. They are vastly undersized. For once in my opinion your gonna get to see if John Noonan can really coach when he doesn't have the elite players to save him. The team got there butts handed to them in the scrimmage. Maggie is on an island by herself. Sanford has 5 players. if there is a foul trouble he will be in trouble. and sam gets into foul trouble very easily. Both teams have the best strength of schedule which will keep them in tournament and ranking hunt. But both of these two will not win the chip this year. It is caravels to win if they can play together. and make a run at the time.
Other teams: Conrad, St. thomas More, St. Elizabeth, Hodgson, Mt. pleasant, Howard, Ceaser Rodney, and Appo
After that everyone else is hoping to get into the playoffs..

Should be fun to watch. I'm with Jus, Caravel really looks to be head and shoulders above everyone else, but Conrad's young and talented and UA/Sanford are each very well coached. Gonna be a great year on the girls' side of things.

Couldn't make the Sanford play-day but just looking at their roster Caravel should be the overwhelming favorite. Going to see CR vs STMA scrimmage this afternoon as far as downstate teams that's it! STMA starting 5 looked very good against Appo last week, but foul trouble and no bench will be their Achilles heel. Also went to Smyrna play-day Saturday and downstate outside of the above two mentioned teams and maybe Sussex Tech will be very weak this year even by downstate standards. Polytech has some young talent coming up, they may make some noise downstate in a couple of years.

Couldn't make the Sanford play-day but just looking at their roster Caravel should be the overwhelming favorite. Going to see CR vs STMA scrimmage this afternoon as far as downstate teams that's it! STMA starting 5 looked very good against Appo last week, but foul trouble and no bench will be their Achilles heel. Also went to Smyrna play-day Saturday and downstate outside of the above two mentioned teams and maybe Sussex Tech will be very weak this year even by downstate standards. Polytech has some young talent coming up, they may make some noise downstate in a couple of years.

What was your take from CR v St. Thomas scrimmage? Can either compete with the Big 4?

No, STMA has no depth and lacks declpine but starting 5 could match the Big 4, CR will beat down state teams but teams up north that can handle the press would beat them easliy. They both have pieces but not the whole package.

Scheduling is another factor as teams that go out and play in Touraments like Girls Got Game and the Diamond State classic will be much better battled tested come Feb.

Overall I think that girls basketball in Delaware will be down this year. Some of the scores so far have been shocking!

No, STMA has no depth and lacks declpine but starting 5 could match the Big 4, CR will beat down state teams but teams up north that can handle the press would beat them easliy. They both have pieces but not the whole package.

Scheduling is another factor as teams that go out and play in Touraments like Girls Got Game and the Diamond State classic will be much better battled tested come Feb.

Overall I think that girls basketball in Delaware will be down this year. Some of the scores so far have been shocking!

I've got to disagree with you on basketball being down or exactly what you mean by "being down". There are 11 out of 15 players returning on 1st through 3rd team all-state and 20 overall including honorable mention. There are 2 players that have signed with D1 schools and 5-6 more that I'm aware have D1 offer in the class of 2019, 2020, and 2021. There will be your top 4 teams like girls basketball has always had. And there are 6-10(CR, Hodgson, Howard, Archmere, Sussex Central, Sussex Tech, St. E's, St. Thomas, Appo, Padua)teams that will compete for the other remaining spots. The bottom half of girls basketball in Delaware has certainly dropped off due to the amount of new schools in there 1st or 2nd year of playing varsity basketball. And if your a top 10 team playing any of those schools you should be ashamed unless they are in your conference and you have no choice. Sanford has Wilm. Christian and St. Andrews in there conference, Ursuline has St. Mark's and Padua, Conrad has First State Military and MOT and Caravel is a non-conference team and probably the toughest schedule in the state. If it were up to me I'd try to break it into 2 divisions based on the schools success and not on enrollment like DIAA currently does.

I've got to disagree with you on basketball being down or exactly what you mean by "being down".

No so much as in individual players but teams top to bottom overall, yes there are going to be he usual top teams and I know the 2019 class is deep and there some good talent in the 2020 to 2022 class. But even you can agree that in the past the Ursuline, Sanford and Caveral's could played with the O'hara(PA), Neumann Goretti(PA) or St. Roses(NJ) of the world and play close or even squeak out a win, not this year! Other once proud programs are down especially on the public side. After the Top 10 there is a dramatic drop off.

No so much as in individual players but teams top to bottom overall, yes there are going to be he usual top teams and I know the 2019 class is deep and there some good talent in the 2020 to 2022 class. But even you can agree that in the past the Ursuline, Sanford and Caveral's could played with the O'hara(PA), Neumann Goretti(PA) or St. Roses(NJ) of the world and play close or even squeak out a win, not this year! Other once proud programs are down especially on the public side. After the Top 10 there is a dramatic drop off.

Add St. E's to the list of top teams this year. Losing the seniors, a freshman guard, and an assistant coach who were not in it for the team, has given rise to a new group of players and a team who I would put up against the "top 4" and even the Philly teams mentioned. We'll know more once they play a team with talent. Dec. 13 they have CR at St. E's. I'm thinking St. E's by no less than 20.

Add St. E's to the list of top teams this year. Losing the seniors, a freshman guard, and an assistant coach who were not in it for the team, has given rise to a new group of players and a team who I would put up against the "top 4" and even the Philly teams mentioned. We'll know more once they play a team with talent. Dec. 13 they have CR at St. E's. I'm thinking St. E's by no less than 20.

Stop it!!! I saw St. E's last night and Wm.Penn is very limited. St. E's has played 2 teams that are no where near the top 10. Doubt St. E's will be within 15pts of any of the top 4 teams. CR is not a top 4 team neither is Hodgson. St. E's will be in a close battle with both. St. E's first real test will be Jan 4th vs Ursuline. Good luck Teamtom5655 with you predictions on there success. I kinda hope you are right with St. E's, it will add more excitement to the girls side of things. Maybe in a year or two they can compete once those girls have a chance to bond and gel.

Agreed with Filmore. It's one thing to beat a shorthanded Mount Pleasant and an undermanned William Penn by 40 points each, another thing to play well against UA/Caravel/Sanford and so on. They'll be a team to watch, but let's not get carried away.

Saw Ursuline tonight & they have dropped off BIG time. I understand the transfers and injuries but they will struggle unless they get there 2 bigs back. Connolly doesn’t have the other 3-4 D1 teammates any longer and she’ll have to carry a much heavier load. Caravel, Sanford, & Conrad are heads & shoulders above Ursuline then everyone else.

Stop it!!! I saw St. E's last night and Wm.Penn is very limited. St. E's has played 2 teams that are no where near the top 10. Doubt St. E's will be within 15pts of any of the top 4 teams. CR is not a top 4 team neither is Hodgson. St. E's will be in a close battle with both. St. E's first real test will be Jan 4th vs Ursuline. Good luck Teamtom5655 with you predictions on there success. I kinda hope you are right with St. E's, it will add more excitement to the girls side of things. Maybe in a year or two they can compete once those girls have a chance to bond and gel.
For now I agree that they are not top 4, but they're next and they will give the top 4 a game. Girls' Delaware HS Basketball needs more competition, so hopefully St. E's can provide some excitement. They did quiet the downstate hopefuls by knocking off CR.

They did quiet the downstate hopefuls by knocking off CR.

Who are the downstate hopefuls? I said:

CR will beat down state teams but teams up north that can handle the press would beat them easily.

Yes I follow girl's basketball but I try to be objective, but we do have a couple of fan boys on here of certain programs or private schools. Please stop this top 4 bull shi^%^, this year is wide open trust me Hodgson has as a good chance as anyone to knock of any of the so called top 4 because of their guard play. The difference this year is not so much talent I believe it's spread out around the state. It's coaching and the northern teams have it, but the best coached team at the end of the year will win it this year period!

Last edited:
Reactions: jackiebx3
Ber'Nyah Ward-Mayo is the truth, ain't she? 41 against a REALLY good CR team, high for boys or girls in the state so far. I still feel like St. E might lack a bit with a surrounding cast *coughandcoachingcough* but they'll be a dangerous team throughout the season.

a good coach allows his star to be just that, a star.... credit the coach for letting her loose.

a good coach allows his star to be just that, a star.... credit the coach for letting her loose.

Sorry I disagree, a star is part of a team and works as part of that team. Not someone that dribbles excessively on the perimeter just about every time down the floor and forces shots over 3-4 opponents. Here in Delaware we have players that can play but it's a team game. Those same players that over dribble and shot a ton of times never make it to the next level where they could if they had a coach that taught them how to play the game. Or didn't have all the people in there ear telling them how great they are and screaming to shoot every time down the floor from the stands like I witnessed when St. E's played Wm. Penn. Every player needs to play there part. St. E's won't be within 15-20 points of Top 4 teams. 3 of the top 4 teams have 3-4 players that can score 15-20 on any given night and any one of those 3-4 could score 35-40 if they took the same number of shots and if there coach allowed it or if it was needed. Credit to those coaches for developing the team concept and not having to rely on one player. Don't get me wrong she can score but she doesn't know how to play the game the way she needs to yet. Hopefully she'll learn by connecting with a solid AAU program or from her current coaches

How you going to lose three seniors who anchored the team for three years and you expect to be better? What asst coach isn’t there now who was not in it?

mightymik- St. e's is better. they have two sophomores there that are playing very well. one just had 41 not too long ago. they have two seniors who from last years team that are getting big minutes. they are playing very well.
And the assistant coach that they are talking about is All American Khadijah Rushdan who took a job as an assistant at Lasalle. Word is she would of stayed if her and the head coach wasn't butting heads. Now in my opinion when you have a person on your coaching staff that played at the highest level and knows what it takes to bounce back from injuries and make a mark coming out of delaware you might want to listen to her at some point. Not sure if all of the stories are true but she is now at the college ranks so that says something about her and what they lost.

To me caravel is still at the top of the list regardless of how the season goes. Conrad and Sanford are next and then Ursuline and St. Elizabeth in no order. Other schools that will make noise is St. Georges, St. thomas more, hodgson, Howard, caeser rodney,and sussex central. Everyone else is fighting to make the tournament

Diamond State Classic has some interesting matchups on tap this week. I get to see Howard vs. Conrad Thursday so we'll see how good the Lady Wildcats are.

mightymik- St. e's is better. they have two sophomores there that are playing very well. one just had 41 not too long ago. they have two seniors who from last years team that are getting big minutes. they are playing very well.
And the assistant coach that they are talking about is All American Khadijah Rushdan who took a job as an assistant at Lasalle. Word is she would of stayed if her and the head coach wasn't butting heads. Now in my opinion when you have a person on your coaching staff that played at the highest level and knows what it takes to bounce back from injuries and make a mark coming out of delaware you might want to listen to her at some point. Not sure if all of the stories are true but she is now at the college ranks so that says something about her and what they lost.

To me caravel is still at the top of the list regardless of how the season goes. Conrad and Sanford are next and then Ursuline and St. Elizabeth in no order. Other schools that will make noise is St. Georges, St. thomas more, hodgson, Howard, caeser rodney,and sussex central. Everyone else is fighting to make the tournament

Thank you. I just wanted reasoning behind the comment. I think StE is good from what I’ve seen in box scores. The Mayo girl is legit, liked her last year at AI so I know she can ball. Shame they lost a mind like that but sometimes great players don’t make great coaches

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT