ADVERTISEMENT

3-game final

8yaz

Top 100 Prospect
Mar 22, 2007
I see where the final of the College Basketball Invitational Tournament is a best of three game series. I actually like that idea for baseball. Wonder what everyone else thinks of that idea for High School baseball in Delaware?

I actually like the idea of double elimination as another option. Problem is the 9 week baseball season is way too short. Weather makes earlier starts impossible. This year the final game is May 30th. Most seniors are out of school before the championship game. Graduations usually occur during the last week of May through the first week of June. Proms, senior week. Just too much going on to extend the season.

Would love to see either option, but unfortunately changes are slow to come in Delaware High School sports. Also would like to see field expanded. A lot of teams with 11 or 12 wins get left out.

Would need to incorporate double headers to expand the field or go double elimination. But for best of three, just play the early round games on back to back days to free up a couple days at the end. I think everyone would love to see it, and I know the players would love to play in it.

The only way to get in more games is to play doubleheaders on the weekends.

Then the fear is one Saturday with rain and you have to make up two games.

7 weeks with 4 games gives you a 28 game season, but that's a lot of extra money and a lot of strain on a pitching staff for any one high school.

Regular season should be 20 games.

I personally think the field should be smaller, 12 teams.

6 auto bids and 6 at large.

Top 4 with current point system get a bye.

Seeds 5-12 play a one game play in.

5-12, 6-11, 7-10, 8v9.

This year for example all the one game play ins would be May 20th. (Rain May 21).

Then you reseed the remaining in a double elimination 8 team bracket starting May 23rd.

Could have it done by May 30 depending on how many days in a row you want to play.

Most (not all) feel that more teams would make the tournament better, I disagree I think more games with quality teams would make the tournament better.

If you really wanted to see baseball develop in state, then let the kids play more than 18 games. I'd like to see them play 4 games a week. Play from March 21st to Memorial Day weekend. Thats roughly 8-9 weeks @ 4 games/ week. It forces you to develop pitching and allows the kids to get the same number of games as some of the other states.

You could have a 16 team tournament, split up by "regions" where top 4 teams each host a 4 team regional on a Saturday. Play the first 2 games, and winners advance and play a second game on the same day. In 1 day, you cut the field from 16 to 4. Then you have plenty of time to get in a championship before the first weekend in June.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT