ADVERTISEMENT

4 x State Champs

proudscfan

Good all around Player
Sep 6, 2010
I see that we crowned a few 4x state champs this year. So how many do we have in Delaware wrestling history? And any schools have multiple 4x champs?

I see that we crowned a few 4x state champs this year. So how many do we have in Delaware wrestling history? And any schools have multiple 4x champs?
There are now 12.
Jim Terry (StA) 1957‐58‐59‐60
Kurt Howell (N) 1983‐84‐85‐86
Randy Brown (L/DM) 1984‐85‐86‐87
Sheldon Thomas (StM) 1989‐90‐91‐92
Damien Craighton (WP) 1993‐94‐95‐96 Bruce Kelly (StM) 1995‐96‐97‐98
Andrew Donofrio (StM) 1999‐00‐01‐02
Sean Dolan (StM) 2007‐08‐09‐10
Codey Combs (SC) 2008-09-10-11
Brent Fleetwood (SMY) 2011-12-13-14
Gabe Giampietro (SMY) 2019-20-21-22
Alex Poore (Car) 2019-20-21-22

Used to be a rare occurrence but I could see a few more coming in the next few seasons with Poore, Radecki, and Stratton.

St Marks with 4. Impressive. They had such an impressive program for a period of time.

St Marks with 4. Impressive. They had such an impressive program for a period of time.
It’s crazy now that programs like them and WP are pretty much irrelevant now in terms of winning team championships while a team like DMA just comes out of nowhere. Hell, what the hell happened with Hodgson wrestling? Just crazy how things can change so quick.

It’s crazy now that programs like them and WP are pretty much irrelevant now in terms of winning team championships while a team like DMA just comes out of nowhere. Hell, what the hell happened with Hodgson wrestling? Just crazy how things can change so quick.
I agree 100%. Couple years ago St. Marks couldn't even field a team. I know they had some issues with the leadership of the school but that team was soooo dominant at one time. Also makes you appreciate the blue bloods of wrestling in this state. You know year after year these schools will produce a competitive team.

Agreed. 2010 St Marks. St Mark's also had that 98 team I believe that had like 8 state champs in 1 year. 2001 St. Mark's as well had stacked team...guys like Bobby Shaw, Donofrio, Joe Ferrera, Brian Willis, Kyle Skinner, Pat Atkinson, etc.

Other notable teams that were ranked nationally that I know of were those late 90s and early 2000s Hodgson teams with guys like the Cylc brothers, Welch brothers, Ryan Smith, Jordan Sianni, etc.

Also CR around 2005 had like 7 or 8 D1 wrestlers and I believe were top 50 nationally. Had guys like Alex Meade, Bilborough, Rigby, Matt Cathell, Chris Diaz, Ian Moser, etc

I believe the 2010 St Marks team was in the top 10 in the country or close to it. If I remember correctly SC was around 25th in the country as well. Central was still a distant second.

@proudscfan Yeah that 2010 St. Marks team definitely the best the state has seen. They ended up being ranked 13th in the nation that year. And sussex central was ranked 38th.

I also remember SC being ranked in the top 50 nationally 2 different times.

William Penn also was ranked top 50 at one point in the late 90s.

That CR team I am talking about from the mid 2000s was ranked in the 20s. My team (Sallies) was really good that year as we had 3 state champs and 5 others place top 6 in the state and they beat us something like 42-17.

This website has a bunch of rankings but only does top 25 and only starts at 2006.

They have CR ranked 17th in the nation for 2007 season too. ANd St Marked ranked 14th for 2009.

Reactions: 84rider
While 2010 STM was the best team I think Sheldon Thomas is the best individual.

Unless I missed something I believe he is still Delawares only D1 National Champion

While 2010 STM was the best team I think Sheldon Thomas is the best individual.

Unless I missed something I believe he is still Delawares only D1 National Champion
He may be the best wrestler to come out of Delaware, but I don't know if he had the best high school career in Delaware.

I still believe Alex Meade was the most talented high school wrestler from Delaware

While he only won 2 state titles and never won a national title Bobby Telford being a 2x AA in college is pretty impressive

from the web site Allheart posted i'm going to mention Jim Krapf again
Jim Krapf, Tatnall (DE): 1966 @ 183; 1967 @ 183; 1968 @ UNL (O.W.); 1969 @ UNL (O.W.) National Prep Wrestling Championships MULTIPLE CHAMPIONS & PLACE-WINNERS. For those of us who got to see him wrestle, he was amazing. A man among the boys. 2 O,W.'s at the national prep championships is outstanding.

from the web site Allheart posted i'm going to mention Jim Krapf again
Jim Krapf, Tatnall (DE): 1966 @ 183; 1967 @ 183; 1968 @ UNL (O.W.); 1969 @ UNL (O.W.) National Prep Wrestling Championships MULTIPLE CHAMPIONS & PLACE-WINNERS. For those of us who got to see him wrestle, he was amazing. A man among the boys. 2 O,W.'s at the national prep championships is outstanding.
What do you know about Al Crawford??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT