ADVERTISEMENT

Appoquinimink

oldlaxguy

Tackles too high
Apr 2, 2010
Is there any need to score 28 goals against a team that has scored 7 goals in 6 games?

Not at all. I guess it just makes them feel better about playing a weak schedule. Looked at their recent years and anytime they play any team that is halfway decent they loose.

Appo has actually a good team this year and they are force to play conference teams. However after the first quarter you could throw the ball around and work your sets and develop younger players. That is crazy to score that many.

I know that they can only play who is on their schedule, but something should be done to make this right. You see these scores across the state on a daily basis 15/1, 14/0, 21/4 etc...In my opinion, it did not help either team to play that game and although Appo. won the game they lost some respect dropping 28.
This post was edited on 4/15 4:29 PM by oldlaxguy

The NJ box score indicated that they scored 13 in the first period but that number is not reflected in the final score.

Sadly Appo's coach has a very long history of running up a score to pad his players stats. No there is no point in allowing them to score 24 in the first half of a game against a program that is barely hanging on.

It's an embarrassment to appo's program to do that. There's a lot that a team can do offensively without running up the score like that. Guess their coach has never heard of the "high and wide" shooting theory. It says a lot about the coaches and programs like Sallies who play weaker teams and you never see them take it above 20 goals in the games they win handedly.

A few years back when Sallies played more Delaware teams the coaches would not allow the team to shoot once the game got out of hand. For Appo to put 28 up on Glasgow is really rubbing Glasgow's nose in the defeat. I think its classless. But hey, maybe the Appo coaches are trying to teach some lesson that is obviously way over my head.

Also, any results from tonights games?

Just a little info for you all, Appo starters were pulled after the 1st quarter. there was a 10 pass rule and then 20 pass rule put in place. Don't know how you play your subs and ask them not to shoot. The score wasn't run up as a means to disrespect anyone or the Glasgow squad.

I believe if you tell your players not to shoot and hold the ball, that is more disrespectful to your opponent.

I have the utmost respect for all programs that show up every game and play hard knowing that in most cases they will be on the other end of a lopsided score.

This post was edited on 4/16 10:57 AM by jopdn

Must be the sign of the times because you have
Brandywines 21 to Christianas 0 and
Capes 21 to SC 0

so hate on these if your going to hate on Appo....

I like the 10 pass then 20 pass edict vs the no shoot strategy. Also I recall CR beat someone by 31 last year and we were having the same conversation.

You seem to miss my point JOPDN....I don't care if they had to make 40 passes, I don't care that they pulled their starters after the first quarter and I don't care if they pulled their little brothers out of the stands to play the fourth quarter. I believe that dropping 28 on an overmatched team is poor sportsmanship. The game was ever in question, there were no makings of an upset, yet I am supposed to believe that all measures were taken to keep the score from getting out of hand.

How about.... a voice from the sideline that says DON'T SHOOT. In my opinion in a strong program, every kid on the roster would understand why that was the directive and fall in line.

As for the other teams you have mentioned, I believe that too is poor sportsmanship.
This post was edited on 4/17 1:57 PM by oldlaxguy

With numbers like this, it is obvious there needs to be a mercy rule. If a team is up by more than 10 after the half, that's it, game over. Please don't even pretend that a team down by 10 can possibly come back. If they were that good in the first place, they would have never fallen that far behind.
Then in the true spirit of sportsmanship which Lacrosse professes to engage, the coaches could conduct a scrimmage if they both agree to it, or go their separate ways if either one is so inclined.

I don't know if there is a really good answer here because there is so much difference between the good teams and the bad teams, really the High and Wide adage is the only reasonable answer. I have been watching Milford this year and they have made a huge leap in the past couple of seasons. Last night they beat Newark 19-3 and it could have been much, much worse. Lacrosse in Delaware is on the verge of really taking off and Milford is one of those up and coming programs, but from season to season it's hard to schedule good competitive games throughout because programs vary so much from year to year and many teams are tied to Conference games. Last nights game was a perfect example. Last year Milford beat Newark 9-8 in overtime in a very good, competitive game. Newark and Milford actually scrimmaged in the preseason and it was also a very competitive matchup, however last night it looked as though Newark had taken a few steps backward (not sure why), and Milford came out on fire and clicking on all cylinders and before you knew it, the score was 15-1 at the half. I just think that when the better teams get into games like this, the coaches really need to have a plan to somehow throttle back and not make the game an embarrassment. I am not a believer in shortening the games with a slaughter rule, but the Coaches need to use some discretion.

Milford has indeed taken some big steps the last few years. The youth program has paid dividends and I hope it continues to help the sport grow at the school. The fact that Vavala left and the program has continued to improve under Faulkner is something that is great to see. Faulkner has a great passion for the sport and the players seem to really like him.
To take the next step Milford will have to upgrade their schedule. I think getting Tech and Dover on their schedule for next year should be on their to do list. I know they are getting closer, but I still think they have a little way to go before they are ready for the CR and Cape big boys down here.

A stiffer schedule is definitely the direction to go, but I don't think Tech and Dover help Milford. They would be better off to pick up teams like Appo, Brandywine, Friends or DMA.

FBLAX: I agree that a stronger schedule will only make Milford better and I agree that adding teams such as #3 Appoquinimink, #4 DMA and #9 Friends is the right direction, but why #21 Brandywine?

They are rebuilding a once proud program, they have solid coaches in place, have some nice players and are headed up, but what is your thought behind that selection?

What would be an appropriate goal differential? Do you stop shooting when you're up by five? Winning by twenty goals is a slap in the face, but maybe the DIAA will make some changes to prevent these mandatory conference games if they get that badly.

Here's a thought...

The sport has not developed to a consistent level throughout the state at the youth level. Youth success fuels HS success. Until the quantity of players develops to the point where more competitive HS teams emerge, I'd eliminate the conferences for lacrosse and break the schools into two divisions. Div 1 plays only Div 1, 2 plays 2. The top two teams in Div 2 move to Div 1, bottom two in 1 move to 2., annually.

According to Laxpower, there are 44 HS teams in Delaware. Of that total, there are 20 that are competitive. Div 1 is made up of that 20. State championship will be played in Div 1. Div 2 playoffs will occur to allow the advance to Div 1 - top two teams.

Pennsylvania has 1 tourney...no divisions...are you saying that a state with less teams and less competition needs more divisions?

Given the opportunity the small schools would push for a separate title....because none want to face the SALS....

Of the top 10 teams in DE (according to laxpower) only 3 play the SALS...Cape/CR/Friends....why did the other ones stop? they used to play SALS....and dont say it cant fit on their schedule. each team 15 games....most conferences are no more than 6 teams deep so that leaves 9 games. Teams are locked for two year contracts - home/away so get them on the schedule.

Congrats to Coach Reynolds of St Marks for having the courage to play a real schedule....the rest of the "TOP 10" who dont't play the SALS should be embarrassed and ashamed. But keep running the score on weaker teams. Just don't complain when the golden helmets put 20 on you.....

In addition to CR, Cape, and Friends, Saint Marks plays the Sals as well. Twice last year and two scheduled for this year. Also I would think that the Sals would prefer "not" to play most of the other Delaware schools. Except for Cape there have really been no competitive games against Delaware schools in the last few years. The Sals play a national schedule and win most of their games anyway so except for playing Cape, there is not a lot to be gained by playing the other Delaware schools.

With the way the playoff point system works in Delaware, loosing to Salesianum will get you two points, the same as a 21-0 win against a sub .500 team. So hats off to those who play Sallies on a regular basis, to those who have kept them on their schedule and to those who have beaten them.

The remaining top 10 that does not play Salesianum are #3Appoquinimink, #4DMA, #5Archmere, #7Tower Hill, #8Milford and #10Sussex Tech.

Last edited:
Sals have their work cut out for them in the next game. They have scheduled Hill Academy of Ontario Canada. They are an absolute powerhouse in Canadian H.S. lax and have beaten a number of top 10 U.S. programs most recently Calvert Hall. Hill is a major feeder program for all the top lax colleges.

Yeah getting rid of conferences would be best. I do like the English premier league idea where top two teams in D 2 move up after the season.

No, you don't. Div 2 is an aspirational division. The two leaders who advance to Div 1 then have the opportunity to compete for the state title in the next and future years - as long as they remain in Div 1.

Last edited:
No, you don't. Div 2 is an aspirational division. The two leaders who advance to Div 1 then have the opportunity to compete for the state title in the next and future years - as long as they remain in Div 1.
and thus is why it will never happen.

As long as competitive programs are forced to play noncompetitive programs this will continue to happen. This issue is above head coaches. Its hard to tell a kid who practices hard all week to miss on purpose when he doesn't get regular playing time.

But how do you determine what's a non-competitive program? Yeah, I know SC and Glasgow aren't but I think it's fair to say that St. Marks and Poly can't really be considered competitive this year and possibly not next year although St. Marks always has been in the past. Do you use Laxpower's computer ratings? There's obvious issues with that; for instance CR is ranked higher than Sals at the moment but their schedule isn't as competitive so is that a true reflection? Dividing it based on the top 20 / bottom 20 as suggested sounds good but I could see that turning into basically 4 teams swapping places year after year.

The other problem is that this is bigger than Lacrosse. It involves other sports as well. So it won't work to blanket put schools in Division 1 or Division 2, because for instance Sussex Central is fairly strong in football, but is definitely not competitive in Lacrosse. Do you base it on the football or the Lacrosse?

The other problem is that this is bigger than Lacrosse. It involves other sports as well. So it won't work to blanket put schools in Division 1 or Division 2, because for instance Sussex Central is fairly strong in football, but is definitely not competitive in Lacrosse. Do you base it on the football or the Lacrosse?

Base it on the sport.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT