ADVERTISEMENT

Blue Hen Confrence Championship

Yeah I'm not sure if that is official but that just doesn't seem right.

The AI site congratulates the team for winning Flight B. That's official enough to me.
Yeah common sense/logic tells me that if both teams are tied at 6-1 in Flight B & AI beat Glasgow then AI gets the nod. Head-to-head is always the first tie-breaker & I'm not sure why Glasgow would be treated any differently espcially after the past couple of weeks.

Is Glasgow really that much better an AI though? I haven’t seen Glasgow just saw that they had that 10-point loss at home to an AI team that has a number of losses to Flight A teams.

I would put Glasgow right behind Sanford and Dover of the teams I've seen. I think one of three will win it. Any combination would be a good final.

I would put Glasgow right behind Sanford and Dover of the teams I've seen. I think one of three will win it. Any combination would be a good final.
Oh OK. I got Sussex Tech w/ a healthy Kane & St. George’s w/ a healthy Hyland right behind those Sanford & Dover. The brackets should make it interesting.

My issue with St George is relying too much on one player.

Only saw Tech the odd game against Penn. I'd put them and Glasgow pretty close. I think Glasgow might have more coming off the bench. Penn beat Tech on the boards and Glasgow is better inside than Penn I would say. But pretty even....

My issue with St George is relying too much on one player.

Only saw Tech the odd game against Penn. I'd put them and Glasgow pretty close. I think Glasgow might have more coming off the bench. Penn beat Tech on the boards and Glasgow is better inside than Penn I would say. But pretty even....

I saw St. George’s come as close as you can to beating Sanford early in the year up like 6/7 w/ under a minute left w/ that one player so I have to toss them in there. They have also won a very tough Flight A.

With Kane Tech only brought one kid off the bench against CR so I know they are not deep at all. They usually make up for their lack of size w/ pressure defense, creating turnovers & getting more possessions than the other team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chill44
Glasgow has the best 5-6 guard rotation in the state with Mark Bradshaw, Deoddrick Purnell, David Nichols, Trey Green & Damon Hancock but they lack chemistry at times...Sanford has the most complete team, Dover has the team with best chemistry & St Georges has the best player in the state...

Having this depth at guard also gives them a pretty effective press. I'd like to see the coach use it more.

Dover pressed right from the tap last night and never let Newark get any rhythm. Nice job by the Dover coach.

Having this depth at guard also gives them a pretty effective press. I'd like to see the coach use it more.

Dover pressed right from the tap last night and never let Newark get any rhythm. Nice job by the Dover coach.

Dover pressed right from the tap last night and never let Newark get any rhythm. Nice
Pressing will work in all the games leading to the Bob on the little high school courts. Once you get there that court is way to big if you don't have the size or wing span it will cost you. I've seen to many teams try to use the press and not work at the bob. Dover in 2003 tried to press when Pat Kelly was there didn't work. Dover in 2007 tried it didn't work. Polytech in 2015 against Donte didn't work and Poly had depth and was long. You will have to hit some jump shots against Sanford or Dover to win. Dover has 2 of the best guards who don't get any recognition in Wanya Wise and John Lassiter.

Only difference between HS and NCAA courts is NCAA is 10 feet longer both are the same width. I can't imagine the 5 feet length difference per half court makes it that much harder to press. If there was a width difference then yeah I could see that.. JMHO

Reactions: J12
Dover pressed right from the tap last night and never let Newark get any rhythm. Nice
Pressing will work in all the games leading to the Bob on the little high school courts. Once you get there that court is way to big if you don't have the size or wing span it will cost you. I've seen to many teams try to use the press and not work at the bob. Dover in 2003 tried to press when Pat Kelly was there didn't work. Dover in 2007 tried it didn't work. Polytech in 2015 against Donte didn't work and Poly had depth and was long. You will have to hit some jump shots against Sanford or Dover to win. Dover has 2 of the best guards who don't get any recognition in Wanya Wise and John Lassiter.

Dover's court looks longer to me than the other high school courts & a few Newark guys at the game Tuesday were saying the same thing...I'm not sure if that is because the size of the actual gym makes it seem like that or not. Either way Dover's press still works for them on that court but they also have the athletes & guards to make it work. Yes, Dover has a stable of guards & it's not just Davis & Allen...Wise is the best on-ball defender that I have seen along with #3 from Sussex Tech. Lassiter missed some games because of injury but he is very aggressive & athletic.

Lake's Vasquez will have his hands full going up against that pressure tomorrow night in Dover.

Reactions: 1stStateRealist
Only difference between HS and NCAA courts is NCAA is 10 feet longer both are the same width. I can't imagine the 5 feet length difference per half court makes it that much harder to press. If there was a width difference then yeah I could see that.. JMHO
It matters ask anyone who has played there its a little different.
Dover's court looks longer to me than the other high school courts & a few Newark guys at the game Tuesday were saying the same thing...I'm not sure if that is because the size of the actual gym makes it seem like that or not. Either way Dover's press still works for them on that court but they also have the athletes & guards to make it work. Yes, Dover has a stable of guards & it's not just Davis & Allen...Wise is the best on-ball defender that I have seen along with #3 from Sussex Tech. Lassiter missed some games because of injury but he is very aggressive & athletic.

Lake's Vasquez will have his hands full going up against that pressure tomorrow night in Dover.
I agree might be A long night for the Spartans, but I seen funnier things happen in a conference championship game. Lake in 97 shocked a overly matched Cape team Lol

It matters ask anyone who has played there its a little different.

I agree might be A long night for the Spartans, but I seen funnier things happen in a conference championship game. Lake in 97 shocked a overly matched Cape team Lol
Now you know I remember that down at Sussex Tech after Cape had beat Lake by 25-30 during the regular season. Cape was loaded that year yet Seaford went on a run to win the Chip w/ Andre Matthews & Company.

This gap is even wider between these 2 teams though in my opinion & even though Kimbrough-Roach is good in his sophomore year he’s not the monster that Stevenson was that year as a sophomore for Lake.

Reactions: SPARTAN00
Now you know I remember that down at Sussex Tech after Cape had beat Lake by 25-30 during the regular season. Cape was loaded that year yet Seaford went on a run to win the Chip w/ Andre Matthews & Company.

This gap is even wider between these 2 teams though in my opinion & even though Kimbrough-Roach is good in his sophomore year he’s not the monster that Stevenson was that year as a sophomore for Lake.
I totally agree Stevenson was a beast. I know this for a fact if you have the horses and the understanding of a game plan as a whole a triangle and 2 is the best defense to run against Dover. Match up on Davis and Allen and play the triangle behind them.Sort of what Kansas did to North Carolina in the Elite 8 in 2012.

Longer court makes a difference for transition minded teams. Some teams get fatigued quick pushing the ball too much at the bob. Or on the other side of the ball

Reactions: SPARTAN00
I totally agree Stevenson was a beast. I know this for a fact if you have the horses and the understanding of a game plan as a whole a triangle and 2 is the best defense to run against Dover. Match up on Davis and Allen and play the triangle behind them.Sort of what Kansas did to North Carolina in the Elite 8 in 2012.

Just about every “good team” has tried this plan this year against Dover and it hasn’t worked.

Just about every “good team” has tried this plan this year against Dover and it hasn’t worked.
Are you familiar w/ the Triangle and 2 defense? The best teams that Dover has played were CR (twice), Tech (twice) & William Penn...I went to 5 of those 6 games only missing Dover at Tech & nobody played the Triangle and 2 on them those games. They played straight man, pressed & a little zone. Even Newark who was supposed to be a "good team" came out in straight man then switched to some zone. I doubt it would work against Dover but I just haven't seen anyone try it yet...those 2 guys aren't Dover's only weapons which I think some people fail to realize sometimes.

Reactions: DDBasketballCoach
Are you familiar w/ the Triangle and 2 defense? The best teams that Dover has played were CR (twice), Tech (twice) & William Penn...I went to 5 of those 6 games only missing Dover at Tech & nobody played the Triangle and 2 on them those games. They played straight man, pressed & a little zone. Even Newark who was supposed to be a "good team" came out in straight man then switched to some zone. I doubt it would work against Dover but I just haven't seen anyone try it yet...those 2 guys aren't Dover's only weapons which I think some people fail to realize sometimes.

Not only am I familiar with the triangle and 2 defense from a coaching standpoint, but I went to every game, and recorded every game watching the defensive strategy. The very first game game between Dover and Cr, they played a triangle and 2 and backed off of it when EA got hot.

And if you could tell me how to send a picture on here, I can show you that CR absolutely played Triangle and 2 the last game.

Not only am I familiar with the triangle and 2 defense from a coaching standpoint, but I went to every game, and recorded every game watching the defensive strategy. The very first game game between Dover and Cr, they played a triangle and 2 and backed off of it when EA got hot.
I was at that game also & I remember CR playing strictly man & some zone...let alone any other good teams trying it. I was always told that the Triangle and 2 is not too much different than man as long as you don't over penetrate where the triangle is waiting for you then you are still only working on one defender just like a man to man. Now I have seen some teams use their 2 to defend one player to simply take them out of the game but then you are basically playing 3 on 4 w/ your triangle.

And if you could tell me how to send a picture on here, I can show you that CR absolutely played Triangle and 2 the last game.
It's not that serious...I mean it's possible, but like I said I don't remember anyone trying it & if so it was not for long & not something just about every good team attempted. Dover has too much for that to work unless you maybe have the bigs that Sanford has to protect the basket.

Reactions: Roddav3557
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT