ADVERTISEMENT

Capital Classic Middle School Tourney goes to 32 Teams

CapitalGuy

Getting reps on JV
Jan 7, 2009
The Capital Classic Middle School Basketball Tournament now in its 11th year is moving from 24 to 32 teams with the below schedule. Both the boys and girls divisions will include 4 brackets based on ability:
A B C D

2016 CAPITAL CLASSIC TENATIVE SCHEDULE

February 8th Monday –Glascow High School
3:30 4:45 6:00 7:15

February 9th Tuesday- Fifer Middle School

February 10th Wednesday- Georgetown Middle School

(Former HS) 3:30 4:45 6:00 7:15

February 11th Thursday- Woodbridge Middle School

February 12th Friday- Snow Make Up Location TBA

February 13th Saturday-Woodbridge High School

9:00 10:30 12:00 1:30 3:00 4:30 6:00 7:30

February 14th Sunday-Woodbridge High School

February 15th Monday Snow Make Up Day

Say it's isn't so ... no games at Central Middle School? Sad, but I understand the show must go on. This is the best middle school tournament period! Thanks CapitalGuy for putting this on, I'm look forward to seeing the matchups this year. It's great that your are expanding up North, what you are doing is great for the future of Delaware basketball at the Middle School level. Now the top middle school teams have a chance to play each other, no more excuses, lets see who's the best!

Thanks for the input I appreciate it!! ...Capital School District had been very difficult to work with for ten years....last year when the custodians showed up at 9:30am to open the building and on Championship Day with games starting at 9am I knew it was the end. Unfortunately great middle school teams like A.I. Dupont declined again in addition to H.B. Dupont, P.S.Dupont, Talley, Friends and many others. Coach Hazzards Mariner Boys might be hard to beat this year by any northern teams as they have a shooter and a player who many say could start on any varsity team right now. First year Coach Rainford has his Dover Girls primed for any challenge as well.

Boys Teams Girls Teams

Mariner Dover

Dover Fifer

Fifer Postlethwait

Postlethwait Gauger Cobbs

Prestige Academy Seaford

Bayard Beacon

Beacon Thomas Edison Charter

Woodbridge Woodbridge

Gauger Cobbs Mariner

Chipman Chipman

Seaford Bayard

Holy Cross Holy Cross

Providence Creek Providence Creek

Georgetown Georgetown

Campus Community Campus Community

Dover Air Dover Air

I got the opportunity to see Mariner today vs Smyrna, I've seen A.I. Middle play 3x....

A.I. Middle can get them....

I know your eye is very educated and knowledgeable and A.I. seems to always have top notch squads...but under the lights and crowd of their first big event like the Capital Classic the differentiation of boys and men occur....a few years back Mariner and Bayard were in a shootout at the Classic which looked like a high caliber HS war....Coach Hazzard can get his kids fired up!! Unfortunately each year the Coach Of A.I. chooses to take his 13 game limit to other venues. Someone else in addition to myself needs to convince him he is always missing out on the undisputed title...Is anyone on his team as good as the Mariners stud? I haven't seen them play yet.

SMH.....Hype machine giving it to the kids before the kids actually earn it. Sickening

.. So sorry dnell we didn't consult you before we can have given middle schoolers adequate and deserved praise for being great student athletes. I assume you are not a teacher. I assume you have never been to the Capital Classic Championships. It retrospect, it has been proven that praise and positive reinforcement strengthen those positive and productive behaviors...This has been proven in numerous books and journals. I will be glad to forward some to you...Have you ever heard of the of the self fulfilling prophecy? We have had middle school players score over 30 points in a game with 6 minute quarters with the stands full...perhaps we shouldn't recognize this as an accomplishment until they have MOVED UP TO VARSITY to perhaps acquire some splinters. Or should we wait until the said player achieves stardom in college or in the NBA....or is that too soon for praise dnell??? Perhaps the standard for praise in entry into the NBA Hall of Fame?? Can we then please acknowledge the said player being on the right path?? Please lets us know ASAP so we may act accordingly.

I understand that High School players are generally better, but what IS sickening is when people in general including yourself and some HS athletic directors, don't give adequate praise and support for their feeder programs Why are you a middle school hater? Were you cut from your middle school team or I'm going to guess your grades or attitude made you unsuccessful there?? Have a wonderful day and just remember I love you and God loves you also!!!

Last edited:
@ capital guy - they have a player that may not project as highly as mariner's stud, because I do believe he will be really good in a few years, but in present time I do believe he can outplay mariners stud

Capitol Guy ill be very brief I'm sure theres a way to have a conversation about this issue off of this site because its not conducive to getting to the bottom of my and the ENTIRE states problem so if you would be so kind id love an email so we can talk man to man.......

EE, if you think that they can play with Mariner then while don't you call, email or speak with AI AD, Principal, coach parents etc instead of coming here to say what what team is better. The Capital Classic gives them the forum to prove it on the court, the best play the best. I wouldn't hype no team that ducks and hides from competition.

Last edited:
Well said Mr. Simmons and Ive invited TM almost every year for 11 years.....maybe they like to have that undefeated word on their shirts after the season as looks good but, if you are not playing downstates best do you really deserve to wear it when an opportunity presents itself!! So the hope then is perhaps we can encourage, motivate or embarrass A.I. into coming out of hiding and finally competing in the most competitive middle school tournament the state has to offer....whatever works.....you would think at least the kids/parents would want a challenge if he does not as much as they can smack..

Do not count out Dover Central Middle...I know that they loss to Mariner the first game of the season on the road n OT but they have the squad to redeem themselves n the Capital Classic after running the table. They have a very good 1-2-3 punch themselves in the backcourt too.

I personally haven't counted them out at all with the best middle school backcourt in the state and they are very well-coached as well....that should be the final....but you can't ever count out Fifer(4-0) with the winningest "Classic" Coach Wright...and Prestige Academy says they have their best team ever as well but has only played one game that was won by 28....should be exciting!!!!

I have seen Fifer & am very familiar w/ their team. I watched Dover blast them in a scrimmage...their guards do not match up well at all w/ Dover but they have a player in Adrian Watts. They could very well run the table w/ them not having to play Dover or Mariner this year...they do play Woodbridge though who has had some pretty good middle school teams as of late.

NEWS FLASH :The Conrad Girls Team have just joined the party and will be seeded at the top with The Dover Girls....this could be a dynamic final!!!...Conrad will be tough to beat!! They are stacked/long and well coached.. Fifer Girls have not lost yet either...

Looks like on the girls side we will have a true Champ, now let's get the boys on board......

Last edited:
Boys side will be hard w/ scheduling & no clear idea of who is the best w/ so many teams not playing each other but I will tell U Mariner & Dover are head & shoulders above all other teams down this way.

Beacon girls are back this year could finish the season with one loss , which was one point game stolen from them, beacon has a 6th grader who will be hands down the states best player in 2 years as a 8th grader

Mariner has more than one player. Yea one gets a lot of hype but if you ask Beacon and Smyrna who hurt them its more than just one player. Its a shame that A.I won't play in the tournament for fear of losing.

Has everyone counted out Prestige Academy, Woodbridge Boys and Woodbridge Girls?? Are you sure??? Woodbridge teams are well coached,always fired up and have two home games keep in mind.

Last edited:
BAYARD MIDDLE BOYS AND GIRLS JUST PULLED OUT OF CAPITAL CLASSIC BECAUSE OF LOW NUMBERS AND SEROIUS PLAYER/COACH ISSUES....If anyone knows of someone who want to play please let us know....

Educated Eye Thank you sir!! I now have hope now for finally having an undisputed championship!!! I hope it works out!!

A. I. is still pondering entry....hope they let me know soon as we need to formulate the tournament!

NEWS FLASH :The Conrad Girls Team have just joined the party and will be seeded at the top with The Dover Girls....this could be a dynamic final!!!...Conrad will be tough to beat!! They are stacked/long and well coached.. Fifer Girls have not lost yet either...

Don't count out Postlethwait girls either. They have one loss (cms) but are really playing good basketball. They play Fifer the last game of the season...maybe fifer will still be undefeated? Should be a great game!

I went at watched the Conrad girls play Brandywine Springs this week and came away impressed...they have a 6'3" center who was dominant, but their best player was the high school coach's daughter who is a point/forward...they passed the ball in the half court set as well or better than any team I have seen over the past 2 seasons...

The only question in my mind is that Conrad's strength of schedule is not as tough as the Henlopen schools like Central, Fifer, Postlethwait, Woodbridge, Beacon, Seaford, etc. who all have 1 or less losses...

The A flight for the girls will be definitely be a contrast of styles between the 4 teams that end up slotted there...

Capital Guy what is up with A.I? I desperately want to see them vs Dover, Mariner, Woodbridge and or Fifer. Great event and thanks for your vision, dedication and hard work.

Life Lessons: Thanks for the comments!!!....Unfortunately A. I. has two starters that are having academic challenges and the coach would rather not participate this year...al least he was seriously considering

TENATIVE BRACKETS/SEEDINGS

BOYS/GIRLS

Grotto's Pepsi

Mariner (7-0) Conrad (7-0)

Dover (6-1) Dover (7-0)

Prestige Academy (3-0) Woodbridge (6-0)

Woodbridge (6-0) Beacon (6-1)

Fifer Boys Could Move To A as they play Woodbridge Friday if no snow
Dover Boys could drop to B if they lose to Woodbridge the following week

Texas Roadhouse Combat Sports

Fifer(6-0) Thomas Edison (5-0)

Caravel (5-1) Fifer (5-1)

Postlethwait (4-3) Postlethwait (5-1)

Beacon (4-3) Seaford (5-2)

Med Express H & R Block

Providence Creek (5-3) Mariner (4-3)

Georgetown (2-2) Gauger Cobbs (1-0)

Chipman (2-5) Campus Community (4-0)

Gauger (1-0) Caravel (1-5)

ATI Physical Therapy PNC Bank

Seaford (1-6) Georgetown (0-4)

Campus Community (1-3) `` Dover Air (2-3)

Dover Air (0-5) Chipman (1-6)

Holy Cross (0-3) Holy Cross (1-
2)

2016 CAPITAL CLASSIC SCHEDULE

February 8th Monday –Conrad Schools of Science
4:00 5:15 6:30 7:45

February 9th Tuesday- Fifer Middle School

February 10th Wednesday- Georgetown Middle School

February 11th Thursday- Woodbridge Middle School

February 12th Friday- Snow Make Up Location TBA

February 13th Saturday-Woodbridge High School

February 14th Sunday-Woodbridge High School

Saturday February 13th 2016:

WOODBRIDGE HIGH SCHOOL

GAME 17/Girls 9:00 PNC BANKThird Place Trophy

GAME 18/Boys 10:30 ATI PHYSICAL THERAPY Third Place Trophy

GAME 19/Girls 12:00 H & R BLOCK Third Place Trophy

GAME 20/Boys 1:30 MEDEXPRESS Third Place Trophy

GAME 21/Girls 3:00 PNC BANK CHAMPIONSHIP

GAME 22/Boys 4:30 ATI PHYSICAL THERAPY CHAMPIONSHIP

GAME 23/Girls 6:00 H & R BLOCK CHAMPIONSHIP

GAME 24/Boys 7:30 MEDEXPRESS CHAMPIONSHIP

Sunday February 14th 2016

WOODBRIDGE HIGH SCHOOL

GAME 25/Girls 9:00 COMBAT SPORTS Third Place Trophy

GAME 26/Boys 10:30 TEXAS ROADHOUSE Third Place Trophy

GAME 27/Girls 12:00 PEPSI Third Place Trophy

GAME 28/Boys 1:30 GROTTO’S Third Place Trophy

GAME 29/Girls 3:00 COMBAT SPORT’S CHAMPIONSHIP

GAME 30/Boys 4:30 TEXAS ROADHOUSE CHAMPIONSHIP

GAME 31/Girls 6:00 PEPS ICHAMPIONSHIP

GAME 32/Boys 7:30 GROTTO’S CHAMPIONSHIP

Friday February 12th and Monday February 15th will be used as inclement weather day options. Coaches should check email for or contact tournament director a billardito@msn.com for schedule changes and updates.

Doesn't sound like he is doing it for grades. Sounds like they won't be at full strength come time to play. Marking period ended last week. I bet they played in the last game knowing they had issues. Hope not but in today's society I wouldn't be surprised smh

I attended the Woodbridge vs Fifer game last night w/ Woodbridge entering the game 8-0 & Fifer 9-0. Woodbridge jumped out to a 21-11 lead before Fifer stormed back & pulled away 53-39 I believe. Fifer's #32 Adrian Watts dominated the game & had to finish w/ around 20+ while the big kid in the middle #42 was too much down low for Woodbridge also. Woodbridge's #5 is a player & it seemed like he was playing the 1-5 but didn't have enough help on this night. I'm not sure how true it is but I was told that Woodbridge had 2 starters that had failed off which hurt them a lot. Dover has Woodbridge Monday, assuming they will get past Woodbridge even w/ their 1 loss to Mariner in OT I still like Dover to win the main bracket @ the Capital Classic leaning on their tough guard play.

2016 CAPITAL CLASSIC FINAL SCHEDULE

February 5th Friday- Central Middle School

GAME 1 4:00 Fifer Boys at Dover Boys

February 8th Monday –Conrad Schools of ScienceGAME 2 4:00 Providence Creek Boys at Gauger Boys

GAME 3 5:15 Beacon Girls at Conrad Girls

GAME 4 6:30 Beacon Boys at Caravel Boys

GAME 5 7:45 Gauger Girls at Caravel Girls

February 9th Tuesday- FiferMiddle School

GAME 6 4:00 Holy Cross Girls at Dover Air Girls

GAME 7 5:30 Holy Cross Boys at Dover Air Boys

GAME 8 7:00 Postlethwait Girls at Fifer Girls

February 10th Wednesday- GeorgetownMiddle School (Former HS)

GAME 9 4:00 Campus Community Girls at Mariner Girls

GAME 10 5:15 Prestige Academy Boys at Mariner Boys

GAME 11 6:30 Chipman Girls at Georgetown Girls

GAME 12 7:45 Chipman Boys at Georgetown Boys

February 11th Thursday- WoodbridgeMiddle School (Former HS)

GAME 13 3:30 Campus Community Boys at Seaford Boys

GAME 14 4:45 Thomas Edison Girls at Seaford Girls

GAME 15 6:00 Dover Girls at Woodbridge Girls

GAME 16 7:15 Postlethwait Boys at Woodbridge Boys

February 12th Friday- First Round-Snow Make Up Location TBA

Saturday February 13th 2016

WOODBRIDGE HIGH SCHOOL

GAME 17/Girls 9:00PNC BANK Third Place Trophy

Losers of Games 6 and 11

GAME 18/Boys 10:30ATI P.T. Third Place Trophy

Losers of Games 7 and 13

GAME 19/Girls 12:00H & R BLOCK Third Place Trophy

Losers of Games 5 and 9

GAME 20/Boys 1:30MEDEXPRESS Third Place Trophy

Loser of Games 2 and 12

GAME 21/Girls 3:00PNC BANK CHAMPIONSHIP

Winners of Games 6 and 11

GAME 22/Boys 4:30ATI P.T. CHAMPIONSHIP

Winners of Games 7 and 13

GAME 23/Girls 6:00H & R BLOCK CHAMPIONSHIP

Winners of Games 5 and 9

GAME 24/Boys 7:30MEDEXPRESS CHAMPIONSHIP

Winners of Games 2 and 12

WOODBRIDGE HIGH SCHOOL

GAME 25/Girls 9:00COMBAT SPORTS Third Place Trophy

Losers of Games 8 and 14

GAME 26/Boys 10:30TEXAS ROADHOUSE Third Place Trophy

Loser of Games 4 and 16

GAME 27/Girls 12:00PEPSI Third Place Trophy

Losers of Games 3 and 15

GAME 28/Boys 1:30GROTTO’S Third Place Trophy

Losers of Games 1 and 10

GAME 29/Girls 3:00COMBAT SPORT’S CHAMPIONSHIP

Winners of Games 8 and 14

GAME 30/Boys 4:30TEXAS ROADHOUSE CHAMPIONSHIP

Winners of Games 4 and 16

GAME 31/Girls 6:00PEPSI CHAMPIONSHIP

Winners of Games 3 and 15

GAME 32/Boys 7: GROTTOS CHAMPIONSHIP

Winners of Games 1 and 10

Contact tournament director billardito@msn.com for schedule changes and updates.

CAPITAL CLASSIC BRACKETS/SEEDINGS
BOYS GIRLS
Grotto's Pepsi

Mariner (11-0) Conrad (11-0)

Dover (9-1) Dover (9-0)

Fifer (11-0) Woodbridge (8-0)

Prestige Academy (8-0) Beacon (10-1)

Woodbridge(9-2) Thomas Edison (8-0)

Caravel (8-1) Postlethwait (9-1)

Beacon (8-3) Fifer (8-2)

Postlethwait (7-4) Seaford (8-2)

Med Express H & R Block

Providence Creek (5-6) Campus Commuinity (7-0)

Georgetown (3-4) Gauger Cobbs (4-0)

Chipman (3-8) Mariner (7-4)

Gauger (3-4) Caravel (3-6)

Campus Community (5-3) Holy Cross (3-3)

Seaford (2-9) Dover Air (2-6)

Holy Cross (0-5) Chipman (1-10)

Dover Air (0-7) Georgetown (0-6)

2016 CAPITAL CLASSIC FINAL SCHEDULE

February 5th Friday- Central Middle School

GAME 1 4:00 Fifer Boys at Dover Boys

February 8th Monday –Conrad Schools of ScienceGAME 2 4:00 Providence Creek Boys at Gauger Boys

GAME 3 5:15 Beacon Girls at Conrad Girls

GAME 4 6:30 Beacon Boys at Caravel Boys

GAME 5 7:45 Gauger Girls at Caravel Girls

February 9th Tuesday- FiferMiddle School

GAME 6 4:00 Holy Cross Girls at Dover Air Girls

GAME 7 5:30 Holy Cross Boys at Dover Air Boys

GAME 8 7:00 Postlethwait Girls at Fifer Girls

February 10th Wednesday- GeorgetownMiddle School (Former HS)

GAME 9 4:00 Campus Community Girls at Mariner Girls

GAME 10 5:15 Prestige Academy Boys at Mariner Boys

GAME 11 6:30 Chipman Girls at Georgetown Girls

GAME 12 7:45 Chipman Boys at Georgetown Boys

February 11th Thursday- WoodbridgeMiddle School (Former HS)

GAME 13 3:30 Campus Community Boys at Seaford Boys

GAME 14 4:45 Thomas Edison Girls at Seaford Girls

GAME 15 6:00 Dover Girls at Woodbridge Girls

GAME 16 7:15 Postlethwait Boys at Woodbridge Boys

February 12th Friday- First Round-Snow Make Up Location TBA

Saturday February 13th 2016

WOODBRIDGE HIGH SCHOOL

GAME 17/Girls 9:00PNC BANK Third Place Trophy

Losers of Games 6 and 11

GAME 18/Boys 10:30ATI P.T. Third Place Trophy

Losers of Games 7 and 13

GAME 19/Girls 12:00H & R BLOCK Third Place Trophy

Losers of Games 5 and 9

GAME 20/Boys 1:30MEDEXPRESS Third Place Trophy

Loser of Games 2 and 12

GAME 21/Girls 3:00PNC BANK CHAMPIONSHIP

Winners of Games 6 and 11

GAME 22/Boys 4:30ATI P.T. CHAMPIONSHIP

Winners of Games 7 and 13

GAME 23/Girls 6:00H & R BLOCK CHAMPIONSHIP

Winners of Games 5 and 9

GAME 24/Boys 7:30MEDEXPRESS CHAMPIONSHIP

Winners of Games 2 and 12

WOODBRIDGE HIGH SCHOOL

GAME 25/Girls 9:00COMBAT SPORTS Third Place Trophy

Losers of Games 8 and 14

GAME 26/Boys 10:30TEXAS ROADHOUSE Third Place Trophy

Loser of Games 4 and 16

GAME 27/Girls 12:00PEPSI Third Place Trophy

Losers of Games 3 and 15

GAME 28/Boys 1:30GROTTO’S Third Place Trophy

Losers of Games 1 and 10

GAME 29/Girls 3:00COMBAT SPORT’S CHAMPIONSHIP

Winners of Games 8 and 14

GAME 30/Boys 4:30TEXAS ROADHOUSE CHAMPIONSHIP

Winners of Games 4 and 16

GAME 31/Girls 6:00PEPSI CHAMPIONSHIP

Winners of Games 3 and 15

GAME 32/Boys 7: GROTTOS CHAMPIONSHIP

Winners of Games 1 and 10

Contact tournament director billardito@msn.com for schedule changes and updates.

CAPITAL CLASSIC BRACKETS/SEEDINGS
BOYS GIRLS
Grotto's Pepsi

Mariner (11-0) Conrad (11-0)

Dover (9-1) Dover (9-0)

Fifer (11-0) Woodbridge (8-0)

Prestige Academy (8-0) Beacon (10-1)

Woodbridge(9-2) Thomas Edison (8-0)

Caravel (8-1) Postlethwait (9-1)

Beacon (8-3) Fifer (8-2)

Postlethwait (7-4) Seaford (8-2)

Med Express H & R Block

Providence Creek (5-6) Campus Commuinity (7-0)

Georgetown (3-4) Gauger Cobbs (4-0)

Chipman (3-8) Mariner (7-4)

Gauger (3-4) Caravel (3-6)

Campus Community (5-3) Holy Cross (3-3)

Seaford (2-9) Dover Air (2-6)

Holy Cross (0-5) Chipman (1-10)

Dover Air (0-7) Georgetown (0-6)

Do not count out Dover Central Middle...I know that they loss to Mariner the first game of the season on the road n OT but they have the squad to redeem themselves n the Capital Classic after running the table. They have a very good 1-2-3 punch themselves in the backcourt too.

The kid from mariner.... Is a friggin man child!!!!!!! Unstoppable.. Call it like I see it and this kid is wAy advanced and his feel for the game is unreal. Best 8th grader I've seen.. In years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT