ADVERTISEMENT

Newark Charter Selects Jody Russell as 1st FB Coach

Uncle Bumfuzzled

D1AA Prospect
Sep 11, 2012
I think they got a good one. Interesting article in today's Delawareonline. I am happy for Coach Russell. He is a good person and a good FB coach. This coming year is up in the air as to scheduling and their actual level of play. I wouldn't be surprised to see them play a couple of bigger schools JV clubs.

On another thread, I predicted that NCS would be in the D2 playoffs in 5 years. I'll up that to 4 now and right on target. Wait to see, how that hurts St. Marks, my other prediction.

I'll be interested in seeing how he navigates Charter's admission policy
There are a lot of kids that live within a 5 mile radius of the school. I think he will have access to some very good student athletes. It ought to be interesting if they actually play varsity games next year. He said in the article that 60 kids came to a team meeting.

There are a lot of kids that live within a 5 mile radius of the school. I think he will have access to some very good student athletes. It ought to be interesting if they actually play varsity games next year. He said in the article that 60 kids came to a team meeting.
It’s a true lottery system, so his “access” to kids is extremely limited.

Reactions: GUMCITY238

HB 238 would remove the 5-mile radius rule for NCS. The bill was introduced to committee on 6/16/2023. Not sure of the current status or future plans

Was his record sub .500 - yet everyone speaks of how great a job that was done. Realize things change, however they had talent. Also - don't think there was one playoff win in there. I guess if you are in the right loop you are in the right loop. May not win anything but at least you are liked. So that's a good thing.

Was his record sub .500 - yet everyone speaks of how great a job that was done. Realize things change, however they had talent. Also - don't think there was one playoff win in there. I guess if you are in the right loop you are in the right loop. May not win anything but at least you are liked. So that's a good thing.
Russell went 27-22 with the Yellowjackets, including a 2022 playoff victory.

Pretty sure Rice was HC at Charter when they made the playoffs in the old D1/D2 system. I believe they started the season 7-0. Can’t remember who beat them in the playoffs that year

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT