ADVERTISEMENT

D1 play-off picture final complete

aks yourself a couple questions.. 1. you would think Sals would verify with DIAA how the enrollments would be calculated prior to signing to play them. Do you really think Sallies would knowingly sign to play 3 D2 teams? 2. If Sals just assumed they would be D1 being they are AAAAA in PA than that would be on Sals but would it not be wrong for DIAA not to consider all schools that feed to the football team?

From PIAA total enrollment 2017 ( DIAA uses enrollment numbers from 9-30 2018 so it would be close these numbers)

Total enrollment boys and girls grades 9-11

Host: Pickett Mastery- 348
Coop Guest: Hardy Williams- 298
Coop Guest: Thomas Mastery- 338
Coop Guest: Lenfest Mastery- 301
Coop Guest: Shoemaker Mastery- 384

Total- 1669 easily D1

The only way they could be D2 is if DIAA refuses to count coop enrollments.. Which would be wrong in my opinion and if I were Sallies I would protest that

http://www.piaa.org/schools/directory/details.aspx?ID=13443 Pickett
http://www.piaa.org/schools/directory/details.aspx?ID=13530 Hardy W.
http://www.piaa.org/Schools/directory/details.aspx?ID=12520 Thomas
http://www.piaa.org/schools/directory/details.aspx?ID=13533 Lenfest
http://www.piaa.org/schools/directory/details.aspx?ID=13532 Shoemaker

Last edited:
Dover does have an argument though.. It's technical and against the "spirit" of counting enrollments of eligible players though, but by the exact wording in DIAA rule it could hold up. Obviousley the rules were written without the thought of coop teams in mind

Item 5. Tournament Seeding

A. Team Report

1. The last competition date for football is Saturday, November 9, 2019. It is the school’s responsibility to verify that all results listed on their team’s website4sports page are accurate and complete by midnight on the last date of competition [November 9, 2019] or the team may not be considered for the tournament .

B. Out of State Opponents:

1. A member of the Committee will be responsible for contacting the out-of-state opponents of each school in contention for a tournament berth and obtaining their state Benchmark date enrollment. Schools that play out-of-state opponents need to send that school’s contact information to the Football Chairperson, Jim Comegys, by September 30, 2019. (james.comegys@colonial.k12.de.us)

2. For out-of-state opponents, the first 10 regular season games that they play in the 2019 season will constitute their 10 game schedule for the purposes of their final record. This may include playoff or tournament games.

3. Any out-of-state opponent whose building houses grades 9-12 (boys and girls) and whose enrollment on September 30, 2018 is equal to or exceeds the 1045 enrollment number (boys and girls in grades 9-12) will be classified as Division I. All other out-of-state opponents whose building houses grades 9-12 will be classified as Division II. This is in effect for school years 2019-2020 and 2020-2021.

4. A single gender, out-of-state opponent will be classified by doubling their enrollment as of September 30, 2018. If the figure when doubled is equal to or greater than 1045 that school is classified as Division I. Schools with a doubled enrollment count less than 1045 will be classified as Division II.

5. Regardless of when a contract is/was signed the September 30, 2018 enrollment count will be used to determine classification for all schools, in state or out of state.

Last edited:
Should be quite the debate tomorrow at DIAA ..letter of the rule vs intent of the rule..? lol None the less new language should be written in next year for Coops.. Just like they did for MD play-off games counting this year when MD changed their format

I say let Dover and Sals play Monday night and winner gets in.. :p

Last edited:
WOAHHH! Just thought of something.. DIAA boss stepped down so something did come up where leadership is needed... hmm interested to see how this plays out...

http://www.piaa.org/assets/web/documents/Report_18_19_and_19_20_Football.pdf

I am not sure how to read this but if the DIAA does not count co-op, it looks as if they will be a D2 school. It’s interesting that Kennett is on the list a few spots down from Pickett but it is counted as a D1 school in DE.

Looking at the rules that BiB provided, the enrollment number has already been determined back on Sept. 30.

I would think the committee would have to overturn the decision because DIAA has let Sallies know there is an issue.

Can the coop school participate on the football team? If so, then like BiB said it would be a similar situation to Charter School of Wilmington.

That is the whole point of the coop deal with PIAA is so kids from different schools (or campuses in this case) to form 1 team.. All the schools are part of Mastery Charter they are just different campuses,

Baltimore had some coops that were two completely different schools but close in proximity. Before Northwestern in Baltimore closed they and Forest Park combined to form 1 team. Coops have been happening in a few cities where enrollments or participation is to low for one school to field a team.

Would be no different here if DIAA allowed say Christiana and Glasgow to coop to field a football team or Seaford and Laurel.. You would then add the enrollment of both schools for classification for football. But Mastery Charters are the same school just different campuses

https://www.masterycharter.org/

Last edited:
http://www.piaa.org/assets/web/documents/Report_18_19_and_19_20_Football.pdf

I am not sure how to read this but if the DIAA does not count co-op, it looks as if they will be a D2 school. It’s interesting that Kennett is on the list a few spots down from Pickett but it is counted as a D1 school in DE.

Looking at the rules that BiB provided, the enrollment number has already been determined back on Sept. 30.

I would think the committee would have to overturn the decision because DIAA has let Sallies know there is an issue.

its simple... PIAA for football classification only counts males grades 9-11.. They only count the coops enrolment at 50%

182 696 546 AAAAA AAAAA Pickett Mastery Charter 12

Host 182 males 9-11 Coop 696 males 9-11
Take 50% of the 696 which is 348 plus the 182 equaling 530 but they also as 10% to the 182 to host schools for coop for some reason.. I guess because some girls do play male sports. I don't know,, the 546 number is what they use for classification

AAAAA is male enrollment grades 9-11 387-560.. at 546 they are at the top end of the classification not to far from AAAAAA

Kennett ( no coop)

516 0 516 AAAAA AAAAA Kennett High School 1

516 males 9-11

Kennet has total male and female grades 9-11 enrollment of 1014.. add the 12th grade and they should be around 1350 to 1375 total enrollment.. D1 in DE
http://www.piaa.org/schools/directory/details.aspx?ID=11003

All this is just to determine athletic classification and in PA you can coop some sports and not others also you can be in different classifications for different sports

** DIAA when figuring classification for OOS schools uses the full male and female grades 9-12 enrollment**

Last edited:
We have something similar here with the Reach Christian Schools. Red Lion Christian Academy, Glasgow Christian Academy, Journey Christian Academy and newly acquired Tri-State Christian Academy in Elkton,Md.

Kids from those schools including their homeschool kids can play for RLCA teams. I don't think Tri-State can yet but I am sure Reach will put in for them to be able to next year, That will be an interesting decision but I don't see why they won't be able to. In that case you add the enrollment of all the Reach Schools and their Homeschool kids grades 9-12 for classification. They would still not come anywhere close to D1 though

https://www.reachschools.online/our-schools/

That's cause you're talking out of....Both sides of your mouth. In one sentence you say Sallies will beat Smyrna the second time around. Then you talk about Debo's ankles needing tape when he plays HVT. You can't have both.
What is your deal anyway? Wrestler are never yanked off the playoff football team. In what world are you hallucinating in? Come-on, dude do better.

haha!!! Peace had "by far" his worst game of the year vs Debo.. a mere 85 yds and 1 td...Umm I think Debo won that match up.. 1 good run aside and that is all Peace had was 1 good run

haha!!! Peace had "by far" his worst game of the year vs Debo.. a mere 85 yds and 1 td...Umm I think Debo won that match up.. 1 good run aside and that is all Peace had was 1 good run
10 carries for 85 yards is a bad night? Stop while you’re ahead. Passing stats were much higher for Dover against Smyrna.
YOU’RE not very bright are you? Read something you might learn something

10 carries for 85 yards is a bad night? Stop while you’re ahead. Passing stats were much higher for Dover against Smyrna.
YOU’RE not very bright are you? Read something you might learn something

hey dumdum.. Where did I say it was a bad night? I said it was "his" worst rushing game of the season and well below "his" averages oh and he caught 2 passes for 35 and no scores. reading comprehension.. It is key to understanding what is being said. They were passing more in because they realized they could not run and was behind.. duh.. Debo 17 tackles..

Last edited:
It’s fine Sallies will be in, the real question is if a D1 school loses to a D2 school they get zero points, then why do they get their bonus points??? The argument shouldn’t be Sallies or Dover, it should be wtf is Concord in? Sals and Dover should both be in if you want the 6 best teams.

Last edited:
Concord got incredibly lucky with that this year,, It won't likely happen like that ever again.. fluke

Actually I was rooting for Haverford to win yesterday. Not that I have anything against Sals I just wanted Dover to get in as they have been in win or go home mode for 4 weeks now and IMO played their way in (so did Concord for that matter) plus I want to see Peace some more. Sals seemed to be backing their way in.. JMHO

According to PIAA Pickett Mastery has a total enrollment of 348, which is AAA. In Delaware that is D2 enrollment numbers.

According to PIAA Pickett Mastery has a total enrollment of 348, which is AAA. In Delaware that is D2 enrollment numbers.

Then why does PIAA have them in AAAAA genius?

ofikg.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Firetruck445
Man the BiB had this covered back on Feb 1st on my schedule thread.... y'all just need to trust the process...

BackinBlack86D1A Prospect
Gold Member

Sallies adds Mastery Charter North (Philadelphia, PA) o_O

Open weeks to fill
SC- 1 and 2
Tech- 2
Friends 5 and 9
TH- 9
FSMA- 8

33 BackinBlack86, Feb 1, 2019

BackinBlack86D1A Prospect
Gold Member

Mastery is classified AAAAA through PIAA.. Male enrollment 342-516 ( only 9-11)

That should put them firmly at D1 ..

They are what PIAA calls a CO-OP

Host- Pickett Mastery Charter
co-op- Shoemaker Mastery, Hardy Williams High, Mastery Charter, Thomas Mastery Charter and Lenfest Mastery Charter

so you add all the enrollments up from those schools for classification

just by the numbers the minimum AAAAA 342 boys grades 9-11. double 342 to include girls 684 and add in 12th graders 228 ave 912.. but that is at the minimum

I am pretty confident in saying Mastery will be considered D1

37 BackinBlack86, Feb 1, 2019

Whichever team that doesn’t get in might want to look into the Hugo Harp situation. Like why is he at Smyrna and how in the world is eligible? Just sayin.

Whichever team that doesn’t get in might want to look into the Hugo Harp situation. Like why is he at Smyrna and how in the world is eligible? Just sayin.

Why? That has already been done at a DIAA hearing months ago and he was voted eligible to play.. what's the beef?

Why? That has already been done at a DIAA hearing months ago and he was voted eligible to play.. what's the beef?
The beef is he was a capital school district student through the summer then ends up at Smyrna living with his wrestling coach which in 99% of the cases he’d have a 90 day no competed penalty but I wasn’t aware that it was addressed, thanks. Do you know what allowed him to be eligible immediately?

Last edited:
The beef is he was a capital school district student through the summer then ends up at Smyrna living with his wrestling coach which in 99% of the cases he’d have a 90 day no competed penalty but I wasn’t aware that it was addressed, thanks. Do you know what allowed him to be eligible immediately?

No the hardship hearings are private... but whatever it was the DIAA unanimously voted to grant the waiver..

Just as a FYI if he had moved to a different school district other than Colonial he could transfer and play to any school of his choosing without the need for a waiver.. Legal residence is with your legal guardian. Changing legal guardians is the most common loophole to transferring. unless of course you are 18 then you are an adult and can live wherever you want just would have to prove residence or could get a homeless waiver

Thems the rules

Last edited:
The beef is he was a capital school district student through the summer then ends up at Smyrna living with his wrestling coach which in 99% of the cases he’d have a 90 day no competed penalty but I wasn’t aware that it was addressed, thanks. Do you know what allowed him to be eligible immediately?[/QUOTE

Uncle Rico is a naughty boy. Why are you airing this now? What’s the purpose?

Last edited:
came out just like Titanium and I had it..

1. Woodbridge vs 8. Friends
2. Delmar vs 7. Lake
3. Tower Hill vs 7. Caravel
4. Howard vs 5. Archmere (at CA)

3 Smyrna.vs 6. Sallies
4, Central vs 5. Concord

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT