ADVERTISEMENT

Delaware Athletes Playing In Colleges

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Lucas, Taylor and Washington Win Big Ten Major Awards

Lucas, Edwards, Taylor and East all take home all-conference accolades

UNIVERSITY PARK, PA.; March 3, 2014 ? Penn State Lady Lion senior guard Maggie Lucas (Narberth, Pa.) garnered her second consecutive Big Ten Player of the Year honor to headline the list of three major award winners for the Lady Lions. Fellow senior guard Dara Taylor (Wilmington, Del.) was named the Big Ten's Defensive Player of the Year, while head coach Coquese Washington earned Big Ten Coach of the Year accolades for the third-straight season.

In addition to her Player of the Year award, Lucas was a unanimous selection by both the coaches and media to the All-Big Ten first team. She takes home first team accolades for the third time in her career, making her the sixth player in program history to earn the honor three or more times. Additionally, fellow senior guard/forward Ariel Edwards (Elmont, N.Y.) was also selected to the 10-member first team for the first time in her career. The Lady Lions have 30 All-Big Ten first teamchoices, which are the most of any team since joining the conference in 1992-93 and are the second-most all-time. Edwards was also Penn State's Sportsmanship Award honoree.

To go along with her Defensive Player of the Year award, Taylor was named to the All-Big Ten second team by the coaches and media for the first time in her career. She was also a unanimous choice for the Big Ten All-Defensive team, giving her a berth on the team for the second-straight season. Senior forward/center Talia East (Philadelphia, Pa.) claimed her first career conference honor with an honorable mention bid on both the coaches and media teams.

Lucas was named the 2014 Big Ten Player of the Year by the league'smedia voters to earn her second-straight Player of the Year Award. This is the fifth time that a Lady Lion has won top honors (Helen Darling, 2000; Kelly Mazzante, 2003-04). Lucas is the seventh player in conference history to win two honors and the second Lady Lion, joining Mazzante. Among the players with multiple honors are Mazzante, Northwestern's Anucha Browne (1984, 1985), Ohio State's Tracey Hall (1986, 1987), Purdue's Katie Douglas (2000, 2001), Ohio State's Jessica Davenport (2005, 2006, 2007) and Ohio State's Jantel Lavendar (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011).

The Narberth, Pa. native, who is one of 10 semifinalists for the Naismith Trophy, is closing out one of the best careers in Lady Lion history. She is second in the conference in scoring at a 21.5 rate, which is up by more than a point per game from last year. Lucas also leads the league and the NCAA in free throw percentage with a stellar .959 mark, which is just off of the pace to break the NCAA single-season record. Lucas is the only player ever in NCAA Division I (men's or women's), WNBA or NBA history to average 20 or more points with a free throw percentage of 95.5% or better. Additionally, Lucas is among the league leaders in steals (7th - 1.9), three-point percentage (14th - .368) and three-point field goals made (7th - 2.3). Lucas needs one three-pointer to tie Mazzante's Big Ten career three-pointers record and is fourth in conference history in scoring (2,439).

Taylor is the second Lady Lion to win Defensive Player of the Year accolades, along with Tanisha Wright, who won the award three consecutive seasons from 2003-05. Taylor leads the conference in overall steals, averaging 2.9 per game. She was second in league play with 45 thefts in 16 games (2.8spg). Taylor is also fifth in the Big Ten in assists (4.9) and eighth in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.5). Taylor has jumped her production this season as she is averaging 11.6 points, 4.9 assists and 2.9 steals pergame this season, which is up from 7.0 points, 3.4 assists and 2.4 steals ayear ago. She has also increased her free throw percentage from .623 to .747 as a senior.

Washington was selected as the Coach of the Year by the media for the third-straight season. She joins Ohio State's Jim Foster (2005 (c), 2006, 2007) as the only coaches in league history to win three consecutive coaching honors. Washington was the 2012 Coach of the Year by both the coaches and media and was selected to the top honor again last season by the league's media members. Despite losing three starters, including two WNBA Draft picks, Washington guided the Lady Lions to their third consecutive Big Ten regular-season championship for the first time in school history with a 13-3 record in league play.

Edwards garners her first conference honor as she enjoys the best season of her career. She is averaging a personal-best 14.9 points per game, which is 12th in the Big Ten. She is also 20th in the league in rebounding at a 5.8 per game clip. Edwards is connecting on 83.6% of her shots from the charity stripe, which is eighth among league leaders. She has turned in an impressive jump in production, improving her scoring average by seven points (7.9 to 14.9) andrebounding average by more than two and a half boards a game (3.2 to 5.8) this season.

East is also a first time All-Big Ten honoree after leading the Lions in the post. She paces the team and is tied for ninth in the league with a 7.5 rebounding average to go along with a 7.9 scoring clip. East is also the squad's most efficient shooter with a 52.8% mark from the field, which is fifth in the Big Ten. She has also been a beast in the paint, ranking ninth in the conference with 1.4 shots per game. East has been strong in conference play, upping her numbers to 9.4 points and 8.2 rebounds per gamewith a 55% shooting effort.

The #12/11 Penn State Lady Lions earned the top seed in this weekend's Big Ten Tournament in Indianapolis for the third consecutive season. The Lady Lionswill open play against the winner of the first round match-up between #8 seed Ohio State and #9 seed Northwestern, which will take place on Thursday at noon. Penn State's quarterfinal contest will be played at noon on Friday and will air live on the Big Ten Network.

For the 15th time, Penn State will host the NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament First and Second Rounds on March 23 and 25, 2014. All-session tickets are $30 for adults and $17 for youth and students. There is also an all-session group rate for groups of 20 or more of any age at $20 per package. Fans can purchase tickets by calling 1-800-NITTANY or visiting thePenn State athletics ticket office between the hours of 10 a.m. ? 4:30 p.m.

Foul trouble plagues UCF in 79-67 loss at SMU

DALLAS, Texas (UCFKnights.com) ? The UCF women's basketball team put forth a valiant effort, but foul trouble proved to be the Knights' downfall in Tuesday morning's 79-67 loss to SMU in the regular season finale.

The Mustangs were sent to the free throw line 24 times and converted 87.5 percent of their attempts, including a near-automatic 17-of-18 performance in the second half.

UCF freshman Zykira Lewis notched her eighth-straight game of double figures, leading the Knights in scoring for the sixth-straight outing with 21 points. It marked her third 20-point game of the season.

Junior guard Andrea Hines contributed 11 points, senior Sara Djassi added 10 points and freshman Jordan Jackson matched her career high 7 points while junior Brittni Montgomery grabbed a game-high 15 rebounds.

Finally getting to tip off after inclement weather pushed the game from Monday evening to Tuesday morning, the league's leading scorer, Keena Mays, got her team off to a hot start by accounting for seven points of the Mustangs' 9-0 game-opening run.

Lewis checked in to generate some offense for the Knights but Mays was at it again, sinking back-to-back 3-pointers for a 27-15 lead with less than eight minutes to play. UCF cut the deficit down to single digits by halftime, 34-26, as Montgomery capped the half with a putback thanks to a tip from Erika Jones.

The Knights started clicking on both ends of the floor, swiping three steals in the first four minutes and bringing down with some big offensive rebounds for second-chance layups. UCF managed to cut it to 50-45 after Lewis came up with a steal in press defense and finished for a layup in transition.

Mays responded with a timely and-1 with 12:38 to go but Jones matched with one of her own. From there, the whistle repeatedly sounded to put the Mustangs on the line, where they converted 11 in a row to ice the game.

The Knights set their sights on the American Athletic Conference tournament. As the No. 9 seed, UCF will face No. 8 seed Cincinnati on ESPN3 at 6 p.m. in Friday's first round matchup at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn.

March 7, 2014

UCF WOMEN'S BASKETBALL BOWS OUT OF AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP

Knights come up short in 54-52 loss to Cincinnati in first round

UNCASVILLE, Conn. (UCFKnights.com) ? It had the potential to be a storybook ending. Trailing by 2 points with 2.9 seconds left on the clock, the UCF women's basketball team called a timeout to draw up one final play.

The ball inbounded to forward Brittni Montgomery, who tossed it to guard Andrea Hines. She put the ball on the floor, and with about three-quarters of the court left ahead of her, she heaved a Hail Mary that hit the glass and rimed out, dashing the Knights' hopes of advancing any further in the inaugural American Athletic Conference Tournament.

UCF fell 54-52 in Friday's first-round action against Cincinnati at the Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, Conn. The Knights finished the year 10-20, with a 3-15 record in conference play.

All-Conference freshman Zykira Lewis led her team in scoring for the seventh-straight game, notching 15 points. She ended the year with nine-straight games of double figures ? the best such output of any Knight this season.

Hines added 10 points and Montgomery was just short of a double-double with 9 points and 9 rebounds.

After recording a game-high and season-high 13 rebounds, senior Erika Jones ended her career with a total of 883 boards, good enough for third in program history.

"Obviously, we're not happy with the result but just happy with how our team battled," UCF head coach Joi Williams said. "Our basketball team has been through a whole lot this year and losing a senior starter as late as Tuesday morning was a big blow, but, you know, I really felt that we battled hard at the end. We had a quick turnaround to get a game plan together with a whole new lineup so I'm just really proud of how well they fought tonight."

The Knights were forced to enter the tournament without senior leader Sara Djassi, who missed the game due to medical reasons. But in the opening minutes, the Knights were clicking with energy to hop out on an 8-2 run as if they were playing for her.

Although Cincinnati was able to rally and tie the score twice through the second half, the Knights could always find a way to chip in a quick basket to reclaim their lead.

While Cincinnati was held without a field goal for the final three minutes of the first half Stephanie Taylor's offensive rebound and putback made it seem that UCF would head into the locker room with a 26-22 halftime advantage.

But the Knights picked up their seventh team foul with 37.5 seconds left and Alyesha Lovett hit nothing but net with her bonus free throws to inch it back to a one-possession game at the break.

Cincinnati used a 16-4 run to take a 10-point lead, 40-30, before Hines snapped UCF's cold spell with a jumper near the free throw line at 12:54 remaining.

UCF gradually shrank the deficit and came within 46-45 when Lewis drained the team's first 3-pointer of the game with 5:23 to go, but the Bearcats' Jeanise Randolph gave her team some breathing room with a jumper.

UCF made a final push to steal the lead in the final 30 seconds when Hines hit a jumper and stole the ball that eventually led to a Montgomery layup off an inbounds play, 54-52, but the Knights would get no closer.

MONTCLAIR, N.J. ? A buzzer-beating bucket by junior Amber Keys (Phoenixville, Pa./Phoenixville) sent the Cabrini women's basketball team to overtime but in the end, the Blue and White's historic season came to an end with today's 78-73 overtime loss at #8 Montclair State in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Keys led the Cavaliers with 21 points and 10 boards, while Annie Rivituso (Wilmington, Del./St. Mark's) matched a career high with 18 points.

Box Score: http://www.cabriniathletics.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wbball&id=3503

SUBJECT: Three Wilmington University Women's Basketball Student-Athletes Earn a Spot on CACC Winter All-Academic Team

DATE: March 25, 2014
djl

NEW HAVEN, Conn. - - The Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference has introduced its All-Academic Team for the 2013-14 winter athletic season and three Wilmington University women's basketball student-athletes earned a place on the list, which was released on Tuesday by the conference office.

There was a record total of 37 student-athletes from the 14 conference schools that earned a place on the list, which is the largest number of winter sport student-athletes named to the league's all-academic teams since the honor was established in 2004-05.

In order to be named to the CACC All-Academic Team, recipients must have participated in a CACC Championship sport in the winter. They must be at least a sophomore academically and athletically, have been a student-athlete at their current school for at least two semesters, and have achieved a cumulative grade-point average of 3.50 or higher through the winter semester.

Senior Allison McDonald led the trio of Wildcat student-athletes on the list, earning a 3.7 cumulative grade point average as a Behavioral Science major. Junior Jennifer Carr calculated a 3.63 grade point average while junior Taylor Carter tallied a 3.53 grade point average, both as Sports Management Majors.

The three led the Wildcats on the court to a 7-19 overall record and a 4-15 mark inside the CACC. Carr led the team by averaging 6.8 rebounds per contest, scoring 3.4 points per game, making 19 starts. Carter led the team with 56 assists on the season, averaging 4.8 points per game while making 12 starts. McDonald led the defense with 21 blocked shots on the year, averaging 3.0 rebounds and 2.3 points per game, making 13 starts.

Six student-athletes were named to the team for the third time in their careers, including Bloomfield College senior Kevin Udo; Dominican College senior Johnathan Brown, Holy Family University seniors Carolyne Heston and Mary Ellen McCollum, Philadelphia University senior Megan Finn and Post University senior Raven Wright-James. Eleven others student-athletes were repeat selections including: Philadelphia junior Nick Schlitzer, Chestnut Hill College senior Annie Farrow, Concordia juniors Mariah Berry and Alyssa Dawson, Felician junior Ashley Morris, Holy Family juniors Regan Jewell and Sarah Pawlak, Philadelphia senior Courtney Overholt and juniors Najah Jacobs and Monica Schacker and University of the Sciences junior Jessica Sylvester.

Former Appoquinimink High School Product Amari Clark finds success at Lincoln U-By David A. Willauer-Contributing Editor-Lincoln University-Lincoln University, PA-After a good high school basketball career record career of 61 wins and 19 under girls head basketball coach Micah Edwards at Appoquinimink, Amani Clark was a member of those Lady Jaguar squads that reached the DIAA girls high school basketball but in her senior year the Lady Jags 2011-12 basketball finished with a 19-2 record and lost to St. Marks in the semi final round.

"In the St. Marks game, I remembered it was a battle to the end that we fell short to and some of my teammates had graduated from Appoquinimink we almost defeated a very power Ursuline squad in a very close hard fought basketball game." In my first 2 years at Appoquinimink, I also lettered in volleyball but I chose to stick to basketball because I felt more comfortable playing the game. " said Amari Clark

In her sophomore year at Lincoln University where her major is finance and a minor in entrepenauership. The Lady Lions are currently 6-7 overall and 0-4 in the CIAA are riding on a 4 game losing streak. In the last 3 games vs. Mansfield, Johnson C. Smith and Winston Salem State she scored her career high points of 16, 12 and 15 points. In the game vs. Fayetteville State, Miss Clark scored 4 points with her total points after 13 games she is 3rd on the Lions squad with 103 points and 2nd in rebounds with 66.

Amari Clark: "From high school to college basketball the difference I have been a high school team player but incollege you have to battle with other individuals that are out there and competing even in practice it is a dogfight for playing you have to push each other every other day."

"In my freshman year, I start 3 games I felt that I had a rocky road from high school to college. Said Amari Clark. " While at Lincoln, I had changed my game plan whereas when I was at Appo the game was smooth sailing but when I enrolled at Lincoln they make me a stronger individual where some of the games that I had not to play but I was in the gym to work hard to improve my skills."

"Miss Jessica Kern my head coach is motivating every single day doesn't except no for options and goes with the word I she is very determined when she has a goal that is what we are achieving. " "Some of the best games were the last 3 games vs Mansfield John C Smith and Winston Salem those were the best games I played and in my gamest I hit shots well and sometimes I have to push myself to improve my skill plan and today vs. Fayetteville State my performance improved better but if your shot isn't working then you have to rebound and take control of what the defense is giving you." "My option isn't to shoot the ball all the time but I'm pleased with my defensive efforts along with the communication to my teammates that's how you CIAA is competitive there is a lot of DI transfers that are moving to D II along with a lot of good schools the struggle it is we have a hard loss this last game and the loss in the game is the baby steps we know what we have to do there is no panic this is what is going to go into the CIAA."

Lincoln University, PA - Lincoln's sophomore guard Amani Clark recorded her first career double-double posting 19 points with 12 rebounds as the Lady Lions (9-7) rallied back from a 16-point second half deficit to down the Rams of Philadelphia University (8-5), 71-58 on Thursday, January 16th in Manuel Rivero Hall. Cynthia Johnson added 16 points with eight rebounds while Zephrah Pam also had a double-double scoring 10 points with 10 rebounds to lead the Lady Lions bench production. Lincoln outscored Philadelphia 45-22 in the second half and finished with 25 offensive rebounds and scored 20 second chance points.
Philadelphia vs Lincoln (PA)
1/16/14 6:00 pm at Lincoln University, PA

Philadelphia 58
Total 3-point Rebounds
## Player p fgm-fga fgm-fga ftm-fta off-def tot pf tp a to blk stl min
15 Tori Arnao * 0-2 0-0 0-0 3-3 6 3 0 0 2 0 1 12
20 Samantha Morris * 4-10 0-0 0-0 1-2 3 3 8 3 2 0 2 29
22 Megan Finn * 3-10 0-1 4-7 0-2 2 1 10 2 3 0 2 28
23 Monica Schacker * 4-11 2-5 0-0 0-2 2 3 10 0 1 0 2 29
24 Mary Newell * 4-8 0-0 0-1 5-10 15 3 8 1 1 1 1 30
02 Bria Young - 2-5 0-0 1-4 1-2 3 6 5 3 0 0 1 18
05 Najah Jacobs - 4-13 0-2 5-7 3-4 7 1 13 3 4 0 1 33
21 Jaclyn Panichi - 0-0 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1
25 Jackie McCarron - 0-0 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
30 Alex Heck - 2-5 0-0 0-1 1-6 7 5 4 1 3 1 0 19
TM TEAM - - - - 1-1 2 - - - 1 - - -
Totals.............. - 23-64 2-8 10-20 15-32 47 26 58 13 17 2 10 200
35.9% 25.0% 50.0%
Team summary: FG 3FG FT
1st Half: 14-33 1-4 7-11
42.4% 25.0% 63.6%
2nd Half: 9-31 1-4 3-9
29.0% 25.0% 33.3%
Lincoln (PA) 71
Total 3-point Rebounds
## Player p fgm-fga fgm-fga ftm-fta off-def tot pf tp a to blk stl min
02 CLARK,Amani * 8-17 0-3 3-5 6-6 12 3 19 5 4 0 3 33
03 LUCAS,Courtney * 3-8 0-0 0-0 3-6 9 2 6 0 7 1 1 28
11 JOHNSON,Cynthia * 5-15 0-2 6-7 5-3 8 0 16 1 1 0 1 35
24 SMITH,Courtney * 2-10 2-7 0-0 0-0 0 5 6 3 0 0 0 32
53 GAINES,Mieana * 1-5 0-0 0-0 2-1 3 1 2 1 0 1 0 9
01 MURPHY,Jailen - 1-4 1-4 2-4 0-0 0 3 5 2 2 0 0 15
10 SAUNDERS,Lisa - 0-0 0-0 0-0 0-2 2 1 0 0 1 0 0 6
25 MCKELLERY,Briana - 0-0 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
32 PAM,Zephrah - 4-11 0-0 2-7 4-6 10 3 10 2 0 0 0 20
34 SEYMOUR,Chauntel - 0-0 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
40 TOLLIVER,Lashana - 0-0 0-0 1-2 1-2 3 0 1 0 0 0 0 1
50 MARSHALL,Daesha - 0-1 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
55 TAYLOR,Dejah - 2-3 0-0 2-2 1-0 1 1 6 1 1 1 1 18
TM TEAM - - - - 3-7 10 - - - - - - -
Totals.............. - 26-74 3-16 16-27 25-33 58 19 71 15 16 3 6 200
35.1% 18.8% 59.3%
Team summary: FG 3FG FT
1st Half: 11-36 1-8 3-6
30.6% 12.5% 50.0%
2nd Half: 15-38 2-8 13-21
39.5% 25.0% 61.9%

Score by Periods 1st 2nd Total
Philadelphia 36 22 58 Record: (8-5)
Lincoln (PA) 26 45 71 Record: (9-7)

Points in the paint-PHI-W 34,LUPA-W 42. Points off turnovers-PHI-W 16,LUPA-W 16.
2nd chance points-PHI-W 10,LUPA-W 20. Fast break points-PHI-W 10,LUPA-W 8.
Bench points-PHI-W 22,LUPA-W 22. Score tied-4 times. Lead changed-7 times.
Last FG-PHI-W 2nd-03:49, LUPA-W 2nd-00:58.
Largest lead-PHI-W by 16 2nd-14:40, LUPA-W by 13 2nd-00:17.

Officials: Danielle Head, Latifa Boyce, Sharlene Davis
Technical fouls: Philadelphia-None. Lincoln (PA)-None.
Attendance: 460

Lady Lions Fall to Chowan, 52-47

MURFREESBORO, NC ? Senior guard Cynthia Johnson led the Lady Lions with 10 points while junior forward grabbed a game-high 16 rebounds in a 52-47 loss to Chowan on Wednesday, February 19th. Chowan rallied from a 10-point second half deficit and held Lincoln without a field goal in the final six minutes for the victory.
Lincoln nailed three shots from long range in the opening half and grabbed 10 offensive rebounds led by Zephrah Pam's five boards. Sophomore guard Courtney Smith drilled a pair of three-pointers and sophomore forward Lisa Saunders made the other three for the Lady Lions springing their offense. Defensively, Lincoln forced 12 Chowan turnovers and led at the half 21-18.
Cynthia Johnson ignited the Lady Lions in the second half with several key baskets and helped extend their lead to 35-25 with 14-minutes left in regulation. Over the next seven minutes, Chowan remained close and cut into the Lady Lions advantage. Chowan battled back and trailed Lincoln 42-41 with 6:46 to go. Junior forward Courtney Lucas scored a bucket and was fouled on the play by the Hawks defense. She made the point after free-throw giving Lincoln a 45-41 lead. But Lincoln went cold for the remainder of the contest and failed to make another field goal as Chowan stormed back in the final six minutes.
Late turnovers and poor shooting by Lincoln down the stretch led to an 11-2 run by Chowan to close out the game at home, 52-47. The Lady Lions suffered their sixth consecutive loss and falls to 11-14 overall and 4-11 in CIAA play.
Cynthia Johnson reached double-figure scoring with 10 points and three steals. Courtney Smith followed with nine points and Zephrah Pam added eight points with 16 rebounds. Courtney Lucas finished with seven points and Amani Clark had five steals and two assists.
The Lady Lions will wrap up their season on the road against Virginia State University on Saturday before beginning their run at the CIAA Tournament next week.

Sent: [/B]Saturday, November 15, 2014 12:21:07 AM
Subject: [/B]Loyola University Maryland Men's Basketball - Texas Tech Withstands Loyola¹s Hot Start, Tops Greyhounds

Box Score Attached As PDF

Loyola University Maryland Men's Basketball
For Immediate Release: Friday, November 14, 2014

Texas Tech Withstands Loyola's Hot Start, Tops Greyhounds

LUBBOCK, Texas - Loyola University Maryland hit four 3-pointers in the game's first three minutes and led by as many as 11 early, but Texas Tech University came back to defeat the Greyhounds, 71-59, in the season-opener for both teams.

The game was a family reunion of sorts for the teams' head coaches as Loyola's G.G. Smith faced his mentor and father, the Red Raiders' Tubby Smith.

"It was great, it was a lot of fun," Loyola's Smiths said after the game. "In a way, I'm a little glad it's over; I am sure my mom is glad it's over."

Tyler Hubbard hit a pair of threes, and Franz Rassman added a third before Eric Laster hit the Greyhounds' fourth in as many attempts with 17:07 left in the first half, pushing Loyola (0-1 overall) up 10, 12-2.

Another Laster three with 15:00 on the clock made it 15-4 Loyola, and the junior guard would hit a basket in the paint 1:28 later to make it 17-6 in the Greyhounds' favor. Devaugntah Williams made a three for the Red Raiders, cutting their deficit to single digits with 12:33 in the frame, but Andre Walker scored his first collegiate points on an 18-foot jumper on the ensuing Loyola possession to push the lead back to 10.

Toddrick Gotcher and Williams made back-to-back threes for Texas Tech, cutting Loyola's lead to four, 19-15, and the Greyhounds would hold on to an advantage of fewer than five points for the next several mintues.

Norense Ordiase tied the game for the second time with a free throw at 5:00, but neither team scored for the next 1:17 until the Red Raiders took their first lead of the game, 30-29, on a Keenan Evans free throw. Evans later hit two more free throws with 52 ticks on the first-half clock to push Texas Tech up four, but Jarred Jones made two at the stripe for Loyola before the break to make it 35-33 Red Raiders at intermission.

Texas Tech used better defensive pressure and good post play early in the second half to build an 11-point lead, 49-38, on a Williams three with 14:44 left in regulation. The Red Raiders extended their lead to 16 on four occasions later in the half.

Walker led all scorers with 17 points in just 24 minutes of action for the Greyhounds, and Jones had a game-high 12 rebounds to go with nine points and two blocked shots.

Laster added 15 points, and Hubbard scored 12 for the Greyhounds, while Odiase led Texas Tech with 16 points and 10 rebounds in his collegiate debut. Denzel Brito had four assists for Loyola to lead all players.

Odiase was one of four Red Raiders in double figures, as Williams scored 13, and Evans and Gotcher each tallied 10.

The Greyhounds make their 2014-2015 home debut Sunday, Nov. 16, when they host Cornell University at 4 p.m. in Reitz Arena.

- loyolagreyhounds.com -

--
Ryan Eigenbrode
Loyola University Maryland Athletics
Assistant Athletic Director for Communications
(410) 617-2337, office
www.LoyolaGreyhounds.com

No. 24 Rutgers Women's Basketball Cruises to Season Opening Win
Scarlet Knights Down St. Joseph's, 76-52

BOX SCORE ATTACHED

PISCATAWAY, N.J. (Nov. 14, 2014) - The No. 24 Rutgers women's basketball team opened its inaugural season as a member of the Big Ten cruising to a 76-52 win over St. Joseph's on Friday night at the RAC.

Rutgers, the 2014 WNIT Champions, keeps its win streak rolling with 13 straight victories dating back to last season following the season opening victory against a Hawks' squad that reached the second round of last year's NCAA Tournament.

Last season's American Athletic Conference Freshman of the Year started off right where she ended, as sophomore guard Tyler Scaife (Little Rock, Ark.) led all scorers with 23 points on 9-of-13 shooting from the floor.

In all, four Scarlet Knights reached double figures in Friday's season opener. Redshirt junior guard Briyona Canty (Willingboro, N.J.) matched her career-best with 16 points and dished out a career-high eight assists. Senior Betnijah Laney (Clayton, Del.), who had 15 double-doubles a year ago, posted another one with 10 points and 13 rebounds. Junior Kahleah Copper (Philadelphia, Pa.) added in 14 points before leaving the game in the second half with a leg cramp.

With the score tied at 16-16 midway through the first half, Scaife connected on three free throws and Copper had a put back to give the Scarlet Knights an advantage for good. Over the course of the final seven minutes of the opening stanza, RU outscored the Hawks, 14-8, to take a 30-24 lead into the half.

While St. Joseph's knocked down two early jumpers to cut its deficit down to three to start off second half play, Rutgers would go on to shoot a blistering 62 percent from the floor in the half. After the Hawks' Ciara Andrews shrunk the Scarlet Knights' lead to 30-27, only three minute later, RU would have a double digit lead it would never relinquish the rest of the way.
Scaife, who in the second half went 6-of-6 from the field, gave RU a 40-29 edge with 15:09 to go and the Scarlet Knights' edge would only increase.

Laney collected her double-double with 3:14 left to play give Rutgers a 20-point, 70-50, cushion.

Freshman Shrita Parker (Va. Beach, Va.) sunk a pair of free throws to give the game its final margin, her first collegiate points.

Andrews finished with 19 points in the loss for St. Joseph's. Sara Fairbanks, the Hawks' returning leading scorer, added 16 in the loss. Natasha Cloud, who posted 11.5 points a year ago, was held to just three points. One of the top play makers in the country, Cloud registered 10 assists.

The Rutgers women's basketball team returns to action on Tuesday, Nov. 18 against Northeastern. Game time is set for 7 p.m. at the RAC.

KNIGHT NOTES
First starting line-up of the year was Rachel Hollivay, Kahleah Copper, Tyler Scaife, Briyon Canty and Betnijah Laney. The Scarlet Knights finished with four in double figures. RU improved to 28-13 all-time in season openers and 11-9 in openers under head coach C. Vivian Stringer. Additionally the Scarlet Knights are now 35-6 in home openers, including a 16-4 mark under Stringer.Tyler Scaife opened her sophomore season with a game-high 23 points. It was her eighth 20+ point game of her career and 29th double digit scoring effort. Scaife shot 9-of-13 from the floor and 5-of-6 from the free throw line. Briyona Canty who served as RU's "sixth woman" last year added in 16 points on 6-of-10 shooting and a perfect 4-of-4 performance from the line. Canty also dished out a new career-mark in assists with eight. Her previous high was seven in last season's loss at UMass. It was her ninth career game with five or more assists. Seven of those contests came last season.Kahleah Copper dropped in 14 points for her 36th career double-digit scoring game. Last season, Copper reached double digits in 31 of her 36 appearances. She opened last season with 11 straight games scoring 10 or more points. Rachel Hollivay swatted away five SJU shots. It was her 24th career game with three or more rejections. She currently has 154 career blocks and needs 24 more blocks to move into fourth all-time on RU's career blocked shots list. Junior college transfers Cynthia Hernandez and Natalie Parsons, along with freshman Shrita Parker all made their Scarlet Knight debuts. Parker connected on two free throws for the game's final margin, while Parson added in an assist. Parson's fed Rachel Hollivay underneath the basket to give RU a 74-52 edge with 1:49 remaining.RU, who owned the paint last season scoring 30 or more points inside last season 26 times, notched 34 in Friday's win The Scarlet Knights committed just 11 turnovers. Conversely, the Hawks had 21 miscues leading to 24 points for Rutgers.
Follow Rutgers women's basketball on Facebook (www.ScarletKnights.com.

-RU-

Sent: [/B]Saturday, November 15, 2014 6:27:06 PM
Subject: [/B]Loyola University Maryland - Loyola vs. Cornell - Sunday, Nov. 16 - 4 p.m. - Reitz Arena

Complete Game Notes Attached As PDF

Loyola Greyhounds vs. Cornell Big Red

Sunday, November 16, 2014 | 4:00 p.m.
Baltimore, Maryland | Reitz Arena | Patriot League Network

'Hounds Quick Hits

Loyola University Maryland will make its 2014-2015 home debut Sunday, Nov. 16, when it hosts Cornell University at 4 p.m. in Reitz Arena.
The game is the final of a two-game series that started last season in Ithaca, N.Y., also on the first Sunday of the year.
Loyola had a first-half lead of as many as 11 Friday night at Texas Tech, but the Red Raiders came from behind for a 71-59 win in the Smith Bowl.
Andre Walker was one of six players to make his Loyola debut in the game, and he led all scorers with 17 points.
Loyola outrebounded Texas Tech, 40-37, led by a game- and career-high 12 boards by Jarred Jones

Last Time Out

The Greyhounds hit their first four 3-point attempts Friday night at Texas Tech and led 12-2 just three minutes in. Loyola extended its advantage to as many as 11 in the first half, but the Red Raiders came back to take the lead late in the stanza and go up 35-33 at intermission.
Texas Tech went on a 14-5 run to open the second half and break open an 11-point lead that would grow to 16 on four occasions in the second half.
Walker made 8-of-8 from the free-throw line for Loyola, en route to his 17.
The Greyhounds made 9-of-19 from 3-point range, as Tyler Hubbard was 4-of-7 and Eric Laster was 3-of-5.

Home Opener

Loyola will open its 31st season of play in Reitz Arena Sunday afternoon when Cornell visits the venue for the first time. Reitz opened in December 1984.
The Greyhounds have won their last three home openers, defeating Coppin State, Binghamton and Fairfield over the last three seasons. Their last loss in a home opener came 75-72 on Nov. 12, 2010, to Drexel.
Since the venue opened in 1984, the Greyhounds are 21-9 in home openers.

Series History Versus Cornell

Loyola and Cornell will meet for the third time in series history when the teams play Sunday. Each team has won one game in the previous two outings.
Last year, Dylon Cormier scored seven unanswered points in a stretch of 54 seconds late in the second half to tie the score at 73-73, and after the teams ended regulation tied at 79-79, Cormier score eight of Loyola's 14 points in overtime to secure a 93-89 victory over the host Big Red.
Cormier finished with career-highs of 34 points and 11 rebounds for his first collegiate double-double, while Jarred Jones added 13, and Jordan Latham and Eric Laster each had 10.
Loyola's bench outscored Cornell's 30-13 in the game.
Cornell won the team's first meeting, 82-72, on Nov. 18, 2008, in Chestnut Hill, Mass.

Patriot League Network Year Two

Sunday's game will air live on the Patriot League Network with Gary Lambrecht calling the play-by-play and Jim Chivers '06 handling the analysis.
Fans can watch every home Loyola game, as well as all Patriot League road contests in free HD this season, live on the Patriot League Network.
Powered by Campus Insiders, the Network started last year and provided one of the most comprehensive digital packages of any conference nationally. Check LoyolaGreyhounds.com for links to each game.

Opening Notes

Although the Greyhounds did not come away with a win over Texas Tech in the season-opener, Head Coach G.G. Smith and staff saw several positive things in the game.
Loyola made 9-of-19 3-point attempts, and its 47.4 percent from behind the arc was its highest with 19 or more attempts since going 10-of-20 on March 19, 2013, in the College Insider Postseason Tournament to defeat current Patriot League foe Boston University. Last year, Loyola made nine threes just once (at Cornell) and it shot better than 45 percent only once when attempting 15 or more (8-of-16, 50.0, at UMBC).
The Greyhounds also finished the game plus-three in the rebound column, outrebounding the Red Raiders, 40-37.
Loyola also held Texas Tech to 39.7 percent shooting from the field and a 34.5 percent mark before halftime.

Dog Debuts

Six players saw their first regular-season action for Loyola on Friday night at Texas Tech: Chancellor Barnard, Colton Bishop, Cam Gregory, Stefano Mancini, Matt Staubi and Andre Walker.
Barnard, Gregory and Walker each played 14 or more minutes, and Bishop was in the action for seven.

Walker Posts Top Debut

Loyola freshman Andre Walker led all scorers with 17 points on Friday night at Texas Tech becoming the first Loyola true freshman to score as many points in a game since Justin Drummond tallied 22 on Feb. 13, 2010, against Canisius.
Walker's points were the most by a Loyola player in his Greyhounds' debut outing since Gerald Brown had 24 on Nov. 10, 2006, against Navy; Brown was a junior transfer from Providence.
The last Loyola true freshman to score 15 or more in their first regular-season game was Freddie Stanback who scored 16 on Nov. 19, 2004, at Virginia Tech in the first game as a head coach for former Loyola bench boss Jimmy Patsos. In the starting lineup that day for Loyola was current Greyhounds color analyst Jim Chivers; he finished the game with six points to open his senior campaign.
Walker's 17 were also the most by a Patriot League freshman on opening night.

From Way Downtown

Loyola made 9-of-19 attempts from 3-point range on Friday night, including its first four and 7-of-10 in the first half.
Tyler Hubbard hit 4-of-7 from behind the arc, matching his career-best for 3-pointers made, while Eric Laster was 3-of-5. Franz Rassman hit his only three, one in transition in the game's first two minutes, and Andre Walker was 1-of-4.

Jones On The Boards

Jarred Jones led the Loyola rebounding effort as the Greyhounds pulled down 40 boards to the Red Raiders' 37. Jones had a career-high 12 rebounds in the game, 10 on the defensive glass. His previous career-high came in his last game when he had 10 rebounds in the Patriot League First Round on March 3, 2014, against Lafayette.
The last time a Loyola player had 12 or more rebounds in the Greyhounds' first game was Nov. 29, 1993, when B.J. Pendleton had 12 at William & Mary.

A Look At Laster

Eric Laster went 5-of-10 from the field on Friday night at Texas Tech and scored 15 points for the Greyhounds in a team-best 28 minutes of action. The 15 points for Laster were three off his career-high of 18, set last year at home against Boston University, and the third-most of his career.
The junior averaged 15 points in Loyola's five games during its August 2014 Canadian Tour, and he was the team's second leading returning scorer after averaging 8.3 points per game last year.
In addition to his points, Laster grabbed six rebounds, one off tying his career-best that he set three times a year ago.

On The Bench

G.G. Smith begins his second season as Loyola's head coach after taking over reigns of the program in April 2013. Prior to his appointment to the top seat on the bench, Smith was an assistant at Loyola for six seasons to Jimmy Patsos (now head coach at Siena).
Smith's staff from a year ago remains intact with assistant coaches Keith Booth, Josh Loeffler and Dan FIcke back as assistants and Kevin Farrell returning as director of operations.

Montreal Matters

The Greyhounds took advantage of the NCAA rule that teams may partake of an off-season foreign tour once every four years when they visited Montreal and Quebec City in August.
Loyola played four games against Canadian universities - Universite du Quebec a Montreal, Laval Universite, McGill University and Concordia University - and one versus a local club team - Brookwood Elite - going 5-0 on the tour.
All 14 members of the Greyhounds' squad, including the freshmen, were able to play in the games and participate in the 10 practice sessions prior to the trip.

Eight Return From A Year Ago

Loyola returns eight players, including a senior and five juniors, who saw playing time a year ago.
Denzel Brito is the team's lone senior this year and is back after playing in 28 games and starting 10 a year ago.
Tyler Hubbard, Jarred Jones, Eric Laster and Franz Rassman form a strong junior class. Each player played in all 30 games a year ago and they had a combined 67 starts while Jones was one of the Patriot League's top sixth men. The quartet averaged a cumulative 22.8 minutes per game in 2013-2014.
Josh Forney, Nick Gorski and Sean Tuohy Jr. are sophomores that return to the program. Gorski saw the most playing time of the three, taking the court in 26-of-30 games and making three starts.
Overall, the Greyhounds return 53.3 percent (80-of-150) starts from a season ago and 59.6 percent (3.621-of-6,075) of all minutes played.

Returning Points & Rebounds

With the eight players back in the fold from a year ago, the Greyhounds return just over half (52.7 percent, 1,031-of-1,957) of the points they scored last season. On the rebounding side, players that grabbed 63.9 percent of boards (597-of-935) last year are back for 2014-2015.
Jarred Jones is the team's top returning scorer and rebounder. As the Greyhounds' sixth man off the bench - Jones played in all 30 games, starting three, and averaged 23.6 minutes per contest - he averaged 8.6 points and 4.5 rebounds per contest.
Eric Laster was just behind Jones in the scoring column, tallying 10 fewer points overall, an average of 8.3 per game. Franz Rassman was also just shy of Jones' rebounding line, grabbing seven fewer and an average of 4.3.

New Hounds

Five freshman, and junior who sat out the 2013-2014 season under NCAA transfer guidelines, will join the Greyhounds' program for this season.
Stefano Mancini is now a part of the junior class as a player who began his collegiate career at Maine and Wisconsin-Parkside.
Chancellor Barnard, Colton Bishop, Cam Gregory, Matt Staubi and Andre Walker will make their Loyola debuts officially at Texas Tech.

A Look At The New Guys

Chancellor Barnard was an All-Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association 'A' Conference All-Star as a senior at Glenelg Country Day School where he averaged 21.6 points, 6.7 rebounds and 1.6 blocked shots per game. He was the leading scorer in Howard County and was named to the Washington Post All-Met Honorable Mention.
Colton Bishop scored more than 1,350 points as a four-year letterwinner at Forsyth Country Day School, and he earned All-State honors at the 3A level in North Carolina and all-area laurels from the Winston-Salem Journal.
Cam Gregory posted 14 double-doubles as a senior at St. Stephen's and St. Agnes School in Alexandria, Va., and averaged 15.1 points and 10.0 rebounds in 26 games as a senior. He was also a Washington Post All-Met Honorable Mention player and earned All-Virginia second team recognition.
Matt Staubi graduated from Darien (Conn.) High School where he scored 1,108 points in just two seasons after transferring from Rye Country Day School before his junior year. He averaged 20.0 points and 8.0 assists as a senior after tallying 17.1 and 6.0 as a junior.
Andre Walker led Christ The King High School in New York City to the New York State Federation Tournament of Championships title as a senior in 2013-2014. He scored 25 in the title game and was an All-Catholic High School Athletic Association honoree.
Stefano Mancini was a member of the program in 2013-2014 while sitting out the season under NCAA transfer rules. The 2010 Maine Gatorade Player of the Year, Mancini scored 24.5 points per game as a senior at Falmouth High School.

Notes From North Of The Border

Eric Laster led the Greyhounds in scoring during the five-game trip to Canada in August, averaging 15.0 points per contest. Tyler Hubbard shot 45.2 percent from 3-point range on the tour and checked in at 12.8 points per game.
Franz Rassman and Laster each grabbed 30 rebounds and led Loyola with 6.0 per game.
The trio of Laster, Hubbard and Rassman, along with post players Cam Gregory and Jarred Jones were strong from the free-throw line on the tour, going 56-of-65 (86.2 percent) from the stripe in the games.
Freshmen Andre Walker and Cam Gregory averaged 8.0 and 7.2 points per game for Loyola, as well.
Denzel Brito led Loyola with 17 assists against just seven turnovers on the trip, while Walker was right behind with 15 assists.

Pro Hounds

Five former Loyola players are currently on the rosters of professional teams abroad. Dylon Cormier '14 is playing for ZZ Leiden in The Netherlands, while Anthony Winbush '12 is a member of the Saint John's Mill Rats in Canada.
Cormier was named ZZ Leiden's Player of the Month for October after averaging 15.8 points during his first professional month.
Michael Tuck '08 returns for another season with the Sheffield Sharks in England, and Shane Walker '12 will play for Lourdes in France. Andre Collins '05 continues his career with Spirou in Belgium, and Jason Rowe '00 will suit up for ASS Sale in Morocco.

Exhibition Notes

Loyola defeated Bridgewater (Virginia) College, an NCAA Division III team, 71-49, in exhibition play on Nov. 6 as five Greyhounds scored nine or more points.
Tyler Hubbard led the way with 14, while Franz Rassman added 12 to go with a team-high seven rebounds. Jarred Jones scored 11, while Cam Gregory and Andre Walked added 10 and nine, respectively.
Denzel Brito led all players with seven assists and did not commit a turnover as the Greyhounds had just 11 miscues with the ball.
Defensively, Loyola held the Eagles to 36.4 percent shooting from the field, and the Greyhounds had 11 steals and forced 18 Bridgewater turnovers.

MASN Back On Board For TV

For the ninth year in a row, Loyola will partner with MASN and the contest at Texas Tech, the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, to produce and televise several men's basketball games. The network, which can be seen from Pennsylvania to North Carolina, will broadcast three games from Reitz Arena this season starting with the Nov. 19 game against UMBC. It will also air the Dec. 6 Mount St. Mary's game and the Feb. 11 Lafayette contest.
In addition to the game on MASN, the Greyhounds will appear on network television at least four other times this year. Loyola's games at Butler (Fox Sports 2) and Syracuse (ACC Regional Network/Comcast Mid-Atlantic) will air in November, while the home game against Bucknell and date at American will be broadcast nationally on the new American Sports Network.

Patriot League Prognostications

Loyola was picked to finish ninth in the preseason poll of Patriot League coaches. Defending champion American was slotted first, followed by Army, Holy Cross, Lafayette, Bucknell, Boston U., Lehigh, Colgate, the Greyhounds and Navy.

--
Ryan Eigenbrode
(410) 617-2337, office
www.LoyolaGreyhounds.com

To: [/B]"Jill C Weigel"
Sent: [/B]Sunday, November 16, 2014 12:40:59 AM
Subject: [/B]COLLEGE MEN'S BASKETBALL: Lehman 78, Neumann 74 - 2ot

Neumann University
11/15/14

Men's Basketball
Rowan Invitational
Lehman 78, Neumann 74 - 2ot

GLASSBORO, N.J. - The Neumann University men's basketball dropped a 78-74 season opening decision in double-overtime against Lehman College at the Rowan University Invitational on Saturday afternoon.

Kevin Green (jr. Chester, Pa. / Chester) and Anthony Fuscarello (fr. Philadelphia, Pa. / Northeast) led the Knights with 16 points. Tyreek Riddick (so. Philadelphia, Pa. / Math, Civics and Sciences) (12p, 11r) and DeShawn Lowman (so. Wilmington, Del. / Concord) (11p, 13r) each picked up a double-double. James Butler (so. Philadelphia, Pa. / Vaux) added 11 points.

The Knights held the pace for the first half and built up a 36-27 lead heading into halftime.

Neumann continued to build its lead in the beginning of the second half, leading by as much as 12, 45-33. Lehman began to chip its way back into the game, tying the score at 55 with 3:25 left in regulation. Green responded with a three-pointer to take back the lead. Free throws down the stretch proved to be the difference and even though the Lightning never held a lead, they hung on enough to force the game into overtime.

The first overtime was like regulation. The Knights either held the lead, biggest coming with 1:47 left in the first OT 70-64, or the game was tied. The Lightning hit a three-pointer with one second left to tie the game at 72, and the game continued.

In the second overtime, Lehman took its first lead of the game, scoring the first basket. Neumann tied the game at 74, but Lehman was able to score the final four points of the game for the 78-74 win.

Neumann (0-1) will face Penn State-Brandywine in the consolation game beginning at 12:00 PM Sunday afternoon.

OR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 16, 2014

NEUMANN MEN'S BASKETBALL DEFEATS PENN STATE BRANDYWINE, 79-69

GLASSBORO, NJ - The Neumann University men's basketball team defeated Penn State Brandywine, 79-69 in the consolation game of the Rowan University Invitational on Sunday.

The Knights are 1-1 on the season while the Lions are 0-2 overall. In the first round on Saturday, Neumann lost 78-74 in double overtime to Lehman College and Rowan defeated Brandywine, 107-69. Lehman and Rowan play for the invitational title.

Forward Anthony Fuscarello (fr. Philadelphia, PA/Northeast) led the Knights with 23 points. He was named to the All-Tournament Team. Guard DeShawn Lowman (so. Wilmington, DE/Concord) collected 14 points and eight boards. Forward Eric Cotton (so. Philadelphia, PA/Martin Luther King) recorded a double-double with 13 points and 13 rebounds. Guards Shakeen Stevens (fr. Philadelphia, PA/Olney Charter) and Kevin Green (jr. Chester, PA/Chester) each added eight points.

For the Lions, guard James Fisher (so. Philadelphia, PA/Upper Darby) scored 21 points and guard Amir Davis (so. Philadelphia, PA/Walter Palmer Charter) followed with 19. Davis also totaled six steals and four assists. Forward Cyrie Spencer (fr. Sharon Hill, PA/Academy Park) had 11 points and seven boards. Guard/forward Marcus Turner (so. Claymont, DE/Chichester (PA)) added seven points.

The score was tied four times in the first half. The first tie (17-17) came when Turner hit a three-pointer (11:51). Stevens made a layup and a foul shot that knotted the game at 22 (8:33). Fuscarello had a free throw, which made the score 27-27 with 5:30 remaining. Fisher nailed a jump shot (4:05) for the last tie at 29. The Knights closed the half with an 11-6 run for a five-point lead (40-35) at the break. Cotton and Green each contributed with four points and Stevens had three in the surge. Fuscarello ended the period with 14 points while Cotton had 10. Davis led the Lions with 12 points.

In the second half, Spencer nailed a three (17:57) and Brandywine trailed 44-38. Neumann answered with 10 straight points for a 16-point advantage (54-38) at 15:30. Five different players made a basket in the run. Fisher's three-pointer at 13:43 pulled the Lions within 12 (56-44). With 10:01 remaining, Fuscarello made a layup and the Knights led by 21 points (67-46). Fisher cut the deficit to 11 (67-56) with a basket at 6:58. Lowman's three (3:40) put Neumann up 72-56. Brandwine followed with an 11-3 surge and was down by eight points (75-67) with 29 seconds left. Fisher scored six of the 11 points. Lowman sank two foul shots at the 17 and seven-second mark while in between Fisher made two shots (0:10) at the line.

rom: [/B]"Ryan Eigenbrode"
Sent: [/B]Sunday, November 16, 2014 8:20:01 PM
Subject: [/B]Loyola University Maryland Men's Basketball - Smith¹s Preseason Keys Come Through In MBB Win Over Cornell

Video Highlights - m
G.G. Smith Postgame Interview - http://loyo.la/1ESVXsI

For Immediate Release: Sunday, November 16, 2014

Smith's Preseason Keys Come Through In MBB Win Over Cornell

BALTIMORE - During the offseason, Loyola University Maryland Head Coach G.G. Smith was clear that two of the keys for the 2014-2015 men's basketball team would be improved rebounding and 3-point defense.

Loyola (1-1 overall) executed both well on Sunday afternoon as the Greyhounds won their home-opener, 76-71, against Cornell University. The Greyhounds held the Big Red to 3-of-19 (15.8 percent) from behind the 3-point arc, and they finished with a 43-34 advantage in rebounds.

Cornell (1-1) came into the game having won Friday night at George Mason University, 68-60, by shooting 50 percent (9-of-18) from 3-point range and outrebounding the Patriots, 46-38.

"I'm really impressed with our rebounding; that's two games in a row that we have outrebounded our opponents," Smith said. "And, it's two games in a row that we have held our opponents to 35 percent or lower from 3-point range. I like the direction we are going with that."

The Big Red pushed the tempo in the early going, scoring the first six points while forcing two Loyola turnovers in the first 2:42. Tyler Hubbard, however, hit two threes on Loyola's next three possesions, and Franz Rassman had a paint basket on the other, and Loyola tied it at 8-8 less than two minutes later.

Devin Cherry answered Hubbard's second three with one of his own at 14:54, and Cornell led 11-8, but it was the last points the Big Red would score for more than five minutes. The Greyhounds went on a 12-0 run during a span that the Big Red missed all six of its shots and turned it over four times, including on three consecutive trips to its offensive end.

Eric Laster scored five of the points during the stretch, and freshman Colton Bishop tallied his first collegiate points with a banked-in three from the top left side. Rassman then put Loyola up 20-11 with a layup at 9:32, and after Galal Cancer made 1-of-2 at the line for Cornell to momentarily stem the run, Rassman drilled a baseline 17-footer to five Loyola a 10-point lead with just under nine minutes left in the first half.

The Greyhounds stretched their lead to 13, 34-21, when Andre Walker made a top-of-the-perimeter three with 2:32 on the clock, and Chancellor Barnard had an offensive rebound and putback with 12 seconds left to make it 38-24.

Robert Hatter hit a three for Cornell with less than two seconds left in the first half, sending the teams to the locker room with the Big Red down, 38-27. Cornell cut its deficit to five, 38-33, with a Shonn Miller jumper, a Hatter fast-break layup and two Cancer free throws in the second half's first 1:17.

After a Loyola timeout, Cornell blocked a Greyhounds' shot, but Cherry missed a three and Laster hit one for Loyola. The Big Red had three offensive rebounds on their next possession, but it could not convert the chances into points, and Laster made a pull-up 12 footer from the left side at 17:03 to push Loyola back up 10, 43-33.

Just under seven minutes later, a Barnard free throw made it 58-50 Loyola, but Cornell scored the next six, and it was a two-point game after a Wil Bathurst layup at 7:10. Cancer later tied the score at 62-62, and David Onuorah made 1-of-2 at the line with 5:26 showing on the second-half clock to put Cornell ahead, 63-62.

Denzel Brito made a layup for Loyola to push the Greyhounds back in front on the next possession, and score was either plus-two for Loyola or tied until Laster made a three from the top right with 3:20 left in regulation.

It would be the Greyhounds' last field goal of the game, but they went 7-of-10 from the free-throw line down the stretch to secure the victory.

Hubbard finished with a team-high 15 points, leading four Loyola players in double figures. Laster tallied 13, Rassman had 12 and Walker finished with 11.

Cam Gregory, a freshman playing in his second collegiate game, led all players with 10 rebounds, and Barnard, another freshman, had six points and six rebounds.

"I thought Andre Walker, Chancellor Barnard and Cam Gregory gave us a great defensive effort today for freshmen being that it's the second game of their college career," Smith said. "They come in and really give us a lot of energy.

Milled paced Cornell with 20 points, but he did so on 5-of-15 shooting, and Cancer added 19.

The Greyhounds continue play in Reitz Arena Wednesday, Nov. 19, at 8 p.m. when they host crosstown rival UMBC. The game will air live on MASN, the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network.

- loyolagreyhounds.com -

--
Ryan Eigenbrode
(410) 617-2337, office
www.LoyolaGreyhounds.com

Sent: Saturday, November 22, 2014 7:30:47 PM
Subject: Loyola University Maryland Men's Basketball - Laster Posts Career-High In Men's Basketball Loss At Butler

For Immediate Release: Saturday, November 22, 2014

Laster Posts Career-High In Men's Basketball Loss At Butler

INDIANAPOLIS -- Eric Laster scored a career-high 24 points, and Franz Rassman had his first career double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds, but the pair combined for all but five of Loyola University Maryland's points, and the Greyhounds lost to Butler University, 80-39, on Saturday afternoon in Hinkle Fieldhouse.

Laster's 22 points came as he made 4-of-6 from 3-point range, besting his previous high of 18. Rassman's 10 rebounds represented a career-high, as well.

Cam Gregory scored the other five Loyola points and had four rebounds and two blocked shots.

The Greyhounds (2-2 overall) led 10-9 on a Laster jumper with 12:21 left in the first half, but the Bulldogs (3-0) scored 10 in a row and ended the half on a 33-8 run to go ahead 42-18 at the break.

Kelan Martin tallied all 13 of his first-half points, en route to a game-high 23, during that stretch.

Aside from Laster, Rassman and Gregory who went a combined 15-of-26 (57.6 percent) from the field, the rest of the team missed all 25 shots it took.

Loyola was outrebounded for the first time this season, although by a slim margin, as the Bulldogs grabbed 35 boards to the Greyhounds' 33. Loyola also committed 20 turnovers, only 11 forced by Butler steals, and the Bulldogs turned them into 37 points.

The Greyhounds continue their road swing on Tuesday, Nov. 25, when they travel to Syracuse University to face the Orange in the Carrier Dome.

- loyolagreyhounds.com -

--
Ryan Eigenbrode
Assistant Athletic Director
Loyola University Maryland
(410) 617-2337, cell
www.LoyolaGreyhounds.com

Sent: [/B]Saturday, November 22, 2014 9:29:56 PM
Subject: [/B]WBB: No. 22/24 Rutgers Tops Tigers, 64-57

RUTGERS ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS
RUTGERS, THE STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW JERSEY
High Point Solutions Stadium - West Gate Press Box • 1 Scarlet Knight Way • Piscataway, NJ • 08854-8053
P: 732-445-7028 • F: 732-445-3063 • www.scarletknights.com • @RUAthletics

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Kimberly Zivkovich (cell: 732-690-6716; email: kzivkovich@scarletknights.com)
Twitter: @RutgersWBB

No. 22/24 Rutgers Tops Tigers, 64-57
Scarlet Knights Extend Win Streak to Nine Games in First Road Victory of Season

BATON ROUGE, La. (November 22, 2014) - After 15 lead changes and eight ties, the No. 22/24 Rutgers women's basketball team was able to use a run midway through the second half for its first road victory of the season with a 64-57 win over LSU on Saturday afternoon.

Leading by four, 52-48, with 6:41 remaining, the Scarlet Knight took off on a 9-0 to keep the game out of reach for the host Tigers. LSU would not draw closer than seven the rest of the way
The victory improved RU to 3-0 on the year, while LSU fell to 2-3 overall.

A total of four Scarlet Knights finished the game with double figure scoring, as sophomore Tyler Scaife (Little Rock, Ark.) paced the unit with 16 points. Junior Betnijah Laney (Clayton, Del.) poured in her third straight double with 10 points and a career-high 16 rebounds. Backed by a 5-of-5 shooting performance from the charity stripe, Rachel Hollivay (Columbus, Ga.) followed with 13 points as did redshirt junior Briyona Canty from off the bench.

After a back-and-fourth battle on the floor, the Scarlet Knights ended the first half on a 6-0 run to go into the locker room up 32-27.

For nearly an eight minute span, neither team was able to go ahead more than a point, until 1:35 left before the intermission when Hollivay knocked two down at the free throw line, giving RU the lead at 28-27. She then secured a layup, followed by a put-back from senior Syessence Davis (Neptune, N.J.) in the final seconds to give Rutgers a five-point advantage at the half.

The Tigers took a brief lead early, outscoring the Scarlet Knights 6-2 to kick off the second half. Anne Jones capped the run to give her LSU squad a 35-34 lead with 16:37 to go.

On the next trip down the court, Canty knocked down a pair of free throw to give RU the lead for good.

The Scarlet Knight extended that lead to as many as seven, 50-43, with 8:52 remaining, however the Tigers managed to close the gap. LSU pulled to within four, two minutes later off a Jenna Deemer free throw and layup by Akilah Bethel.

Ahead, 52-48, Hollivay kicked off the 9-0 run muscling inside for two of 38 paint points for the Scarlet Knights.

Rutgers remains on the road, but with a much shorter trip. The Scarlet Knights travel to Staten Island, N.Y. to meet Wagner on Tuesday, Nov. 25 at 7 p.m.

KNIGHT NOTES
- Rutgers used its third different starting line-up of the season. Getting the starting nod against the Tigers were Rachel Hollivay, Kahleah Copper, Tyler Scaife, Syessence Davis and Betnijah Laney.
- The Scarlet Knights hold the nation's longest active win streak with nine-straight wins dating back to last season's WNIT championship run.
- RU begins the season at 3-0 for the second straight season and third in last four years.
- Betnijah Laney posted her 18th career double-double and third straight of the season with 10 points and 16 rebounds. Her 16 rebounds set a new career mark surpassing her previous career-high of 15 against Houston on Jan. 4, 2014. That was also the last time a Scarlet Knight had 15 or more rebounds in a game.
- Tyler Scaife led RU with 16 points on 7-of-18 shooting. She has led the Scarlet Knights in scoring in all three games to date and has been the Scarlet Knights leading scorer in the last five-straight games
- Rachel Hollivay, who finished with 10 points, finished a perfect 5-of-5 from the free throw line. It was her best effort from the line since going 8-of-11 (.857) in the Rutgers' win over Howard last year.
- Hollivay also captured five blocks and now has 160 career rejections. She needs 18 more blocks to move into fifth all-time.
- Briyona Canty came off the bench to add 13 points. She has scored in double figures in five of her last six games dating back to last season. Her 12 field goal attempts ties her career mark. She attempted 12 shots three other times, most recently at Temple on Jan. 25, 2014.
- A Rutgers opponent finished with 20 turnovers for the third straight game. The Tigers committed 21 turnovers resulting in 13 points for the Scarlet Knights. Through the first three games of the season, RU opponents are averaging 21.3 miscues per contest.
- Of the Scarlet Knights' 64 points scored, a season-high 38 came from the paint. RU has scored 30 or more points inside 30 of its last 40 contests, including all three games this season.
- RU had a season-high 12 steals with Betnijah Laney, Tyler Scaife and Briyona Canty each recording three thefts. Scaife's trio of steals tied her career mark, the seventh time she has done so.
- Syessence Davis and Betnijah Laney both made their 100th appearance as a Scarlet Knight in Saturday's win joining classmate Christa Evans in the century mark in donning an RU uniform.
-

Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 10:24:24 PM
Subject: Loyola University Maryland Men's Basketball - Hubbard Scores Career-High 21; Syracuse Defeats Loyola, 70-37

For Immediate Release: Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Hubbard Scores Career-High 21; Syracuse Defeats Loyola, 70-37

SYRACUSE - Tyler Hubbard scored a career-high 21 points for Loyola University Maryland, but the Greyhounds shot just 19.2 percent from the field, and Syracuse University dealt the Greyhounds a 70-37 defeat Tuesday night in the Carrier Dome.

The Orange (4-1 overall) scored the game's first 14 points and did not allow a Greyhounds field goal until Hubbard hit his first of five 3-pointers 11:28 into the game.

Syracuse led by as many as 16 in the first half, but Hubbard made it a nine-point game, 25-16, with 39 seconds left in the first half. Rakeen Christmas, however, grabbed an offensive rebound for the Orange, laid it in and made a free throw after being fouled with 1.1 seconds left, sending the Orange into the locker room up 12.

The Orange then scored 14 of the second half's first 15 points to lead 42-17 on a Kaleb Joseph jumper in transition with 14:51 on the clock.

Eric Laster, who added 14 points for the Greyhounds, made two free throws and a three of his own, and after a Christmas free throw Hubbard hit another three, was fouled and made it a four-point play with a free throw at 1:14.

That paly made it 43-26 Syracuse, but it was as close as Loyola (2-3) would draw as the Orange scored the next 13 points.

Hubbard made 5-of-14 from 3-point range, and he also was 6-of-6 at the free-throw line. Laster led Loyola with six rebounds, as Syracuse had a 40-36 advantage on the boards. Andre Walker added a career-best six assists for the Greyhounds.

Christmas led three Orange in double figures with 18 points. Chris McCullough added 17, and Trevor Cooney had 13.

Hubbard's 21 points eclipsed his previous high by one. He scored 20 in a Feb. 5, 2014, win over American University.

Loyola returns to its home court on Saturday, Nov. 29, to face Siena College at Reitz Arena at 7 p.m.

- loyolagreyhounds.com -

--
Ryan Eigenbrode
Assistant Athletic Director
Loyola University Maryland
(410) 617-2337, cell
www.LoyolaGreyhounds.com

No. 11/13 Tennessee Tops No. 17/19 Scarlet Knights, 55-45
Tyler Scaife Lone Scarlet Knight in Double Figures With Game-High 22 Points

PISCATAWAY, N.J. (December 14, 2014) - The No. 17/19 Rutgers women's basketball team fell to No. 11/13 Tennessee, 55-45, at the RAC on Sunday afternoon. The Scarlet Knights move to an 8-2 overall record, while the Lady Vols improve to a 7-2 mark on the year.

It was a low-scoring game for a Rutgers team that was putting up nearly 80 points a game and a Tennessee squad averaging 85 points per contest.

With Tennessee ahead early, 6-4, Rutgers responded with a 6-0 run and held the Lady Vols scoreless for nearly five minutes and without a field goal for nearly seven minutes.

Rutgers led 14-8 with 8:40 left in the half before going into a scoring drought of its own.

Tennessee scored 10 of the next 12 to take an 18-16 lead with 3:35 left until the intermission.
The Scarlet Knights, however, closed the half scoring seven of the final nine points to go up 23-20 going into the break.

Moving into the second half, the teams went basket-for-basket to open as Rutgers held the lead 27-24 two minutes in. Tennessee found a scoring burst, registering six straight points to take over the lead, 28-27. The Scarlet Knights were held without a bucket for nearly three minutes before Briyona Canty (Willingboro, N.J.) ended the drought, putting RU back in front 29-28 with 14:43 to go.

Trailing by three with 12:57 left, Scaife completed a successful three-point play to tie the game up, 34-34. Rutgers continued to push ahead as a Syessence Davis' (Neptune, N.J.) three-pointer with nine minutes left saw the Scarlet Knights with a 39-35 edge.

The Scarlet Knights led 43-39 before the Lady Vols rallied. A 10-0 run put Tennessee ahead for good as Cierra Burdick capped the run for a 49-43 Lady Vol advantage with 2:43 remaining.

Returning down the other end of the court, Betnijah Laney (Clayton, Del.) would lay the ball up and in to cut RU's deficit to four, 49-45, with 1:27 left, but it would the Scarlet Knights' final points of the game.

Tennessee would close out the afternoon with another 6-0 for the game's final score of 55-45.
Scaife registered a game-high 22 points as the lone Scarlet Knight in double figures. She missed out on a double-double hauling with a season-high nine rebounds in the loss.

Tennessee had three players finish the game with double-digit scoring, led by Ariel Massengale with 13. Isabelle Harrison recorded a double-double with 11 points and 13 rebounds, while Jasmine Jones added on 12 points in the win.

The Rutgers women's basketball team returns to the road for a matchup at Iona in its final nonconference test of the 2014-15 season on Saturday, Dec. 20. Tipoff is set for 2:00 p.m.

KNIGHT NOTES- The starting lineup consisted of Rachel Hollivay, Kahleah Copper, Tyler Scaife, Briyona Canty and Betnijah Laney. RU has used the same starting five in the last seven straight games and in eight of the ten contests this season.- Only one Scarlet Knight reached double figures against Tennessee. Tyler Scaife finished the game with 22 points. It was the fourth time this season she reached the 20+ point mark and 11th time in her career.- Scaife was one rebound shy of a double-double. It would have been her first career double-double. Her nine rebounds is a new career-high surpassing her previous high of seven, which she last captured in RU's win at Wagner on Nov. 25.- Rachel Hollivay hauled in a season-high 10 rebounds. Her previous high this season was seven, last captured in the Scarlet Knights' win over Colgate on Nov. 28. It marked Hollivay's fourth career game with double figure rebounding numbers.- Hollivay also swatted away three Lady Vol shots. She now has 171 career blocks and needs seven more to move into seventh on RU's career blocked shots list.- Scaife matched her career-high with three blocks. She also had three rejections at Houston on February 11, 2014.- Betnijah Laney finished with four points. Her four points give her 1,048 career points and is now four points shy of moving past Kristen Foley (1982-87) for 31st on Rutgers all-time scoring leaders list.- Laney grabbed four rebounds in the loss. She now stands at 697 career rebounds and needs four more boards to surpass Janell William (1991-95) for 13th on the all-time Rutgers rebounding leaders list.- Rutgers was outrebounded for the first time this season as the Lady Vols held a 54-42 advantage on the boards. Scaife and Hollivay combined for 19 or RU's 42 rebounds.- Both Rutgers and Tennessee netted 22 points in the paint, RU's fewest of the season.- The Scarlet Knights led 23-20 at the half and have led at the intermission in all 10 games to date.- Tennessee's 20 first half points tied for the fewest Lady Vol points at the half this season. UT also had 20 first half points as they trailed Texas, 30-20, at the intermission in its 72-59 loss to the Longhorns.

Sent: [/B]Sunday, December 28, 2014 7:58:04 PM
Subject: [/B]Loyola University Maryland Men's Basketball - Rassman¹s OT Game-Winner Gives Men¹s Basketball Win At Barclays Center

Box Score and Play-By-Play attached as PDFs

For Immediate Release: Sunday, December 28, 2014

Rassman's OT Game-Winner Gives Men's Basketball Win At Barclays Center

BROOKLYN - Tyler Hubbard saved a rebound from going out of bounds, found Franz Rassman under the basket, and Rassman laid in the game-winner with nine-tenths of a second left Sunday evening to give Loyola University Maryland a 61-59 victory over Fairfield University at Barclays Center.

After a Loyola timeout with 20 seconds left in the extra period, Eric Laster drove the right side of the lane and got off a shot that went off the rim and left of the basket. It was deflected and headed out of bounds when Hubbard jumped to save it.

He found Rassman waiting under the basket, delivered a clean pass, and the junior forward laid it in to provide the winning points.

Fairfield took a timeout after Rassman's basket, but their last ditch effort fell well short, securing the Greyhounds' win.

The win was Loyola's second buzzer-beater of the season, both coming in New York City. The Greyhounds also beat Columbia University on a last-second Laster jumper on Dec. 2.

Complete Story To Follow

--
Ryan Eigenbrode
(410) 617-2337, office
www.LoyolaGreyhounds.com

Sent: [/B]Sunday, December 28, 2014 7:58:04 PM
Subject: [/B]Loyola University Maryland Men's Basketball - Rassman¹s OT Game-Winner Gives Men¹s Basketball Win At Barclays Center

Box Score and Play-By-Play attached as PDFs

For Immediate Release: Sunday, December 28, 2014

Rassman's OT Game-Winner Gives Men's Basketball Win At Barclays Center

BROOKLYN - Tyler Hubbard saved a rebound from going out of bounds, found Franz Rassman under the basket, and Rassman laid in the game-winner with nine-tenths of a second left Sunday evening to give Loyola University Maryland a 61-59 victory over Fairfield University at Barclays Center.

After a Loyola timeout with 20 seconds left in the extra period, Eric Laster drove the right side of the lane and got off a shot that went off the rim and left of the basket. It was deflected and headed out of bounds when Hubbard jumped to save it.

He found Rassman waiting under the basket, delivered a clean pass, and the junior forward laid it in to provide the winning points.

Fairfield took a timeout after Rassman's basket, but their last ditch effort fell well short, securing the Greyhounds' win.

The win was Loyola's second buzzer-beater of the season, both coming in New York City. The Greyhounds also beat Columbia University on a last-second Laster jumper on Dec. 2.

Complete Story To Follow

--
Ryan Eigenbrode
(410) 617-2337, office
www.LoyolaGreyhounds.com

R FIRST B1G WIN: No. 17/18 Rutgers Women's Basketball Defeats Indiana, 66-51
Betnijah Laney Returns to Lineup For Ninth Double-Double of the Season

Bloomington, Ind. (Dec. 28, 2014) - In its first test in its new home in the Big Ten, the Rutgers women's basketball team captured its first victory with a 66-51 road win at Indiana on Sunday afternoon at Assembly Hall.

Rutgers, who upped its overall mark to 10-2 on the 2014-15 season, also improved to 6-0 on the road. Indiana, meanwhile, saw a five-game win streak snapped and suffered only its second loss of the year to drop to 10-2.

Returning to the starting lineup after suffering a sprained thumb in the contest against Tennessee, Betnijah Laney (Clayton, Del.) recorded a game-high 20 points and 10 rebounds to register her ninth double-double of the year. Tyler Scaife (Little Rock, Ark.) poured in 16 points of her own, while Kahleah Copper (Philadelphia, Pa.) notched 13 to round out the double-figure scorers for RU.

Indiana was led by Larryn Brooks with 13 points, six of which came from beyond the arc. She was the lone Hoosier in double figures.

The Scarlet Knights scored six straight points to open the contest, however the Hoosiers countered with seven consecutive points of their own. Rutgers would reclaim the lead on two free throws from Scaife, however, Indiana would hold the Scarlet Knights without a field goal for over six minutes.

Laney ended the drought for RU at the 9:08 minute mark, tying the score 10-10 but the Hoosiers would go on to create their largest lead of the half at 15-10 moments later.

Although the Hoosiers would find themselves with a 24-20 advantage with 3:10 left in the first half, the Scarlet Knights would go on to close the final minutes with an 8-0 run and carry a 28-24 advantage into the locker room.

Entering the second stanza, Rutgers would never lose its edge. The closest Indiana would come for the remainder of the game was within five as Rutgers held a 34-29 advantage with 15:06 remaining.

A three-pointer from Briana Cahill would bring the game within nine for the Hoosiers with 12:58 to go, but the Scarlet Knights would pull away to maintain at least a double figure edge for the rest of the way.

Coming off the bench, Cynthia Hernandez (Ventura, Calif.) drained three consecutive three pointers to give RU a 50-34 lead with 10:23 remaining.

Rutgers wraps up its three-game roadstand at Ohio State on New Year's Day. Tipoff is set for 2 p.m.

KNIGHT NOTES:- Starting line-up featuring Rachel Hollivay, Kahleah Copper, Tyler Scaife, Briyona Canty and Betnijah Laney. Laney was back in the starting five after missing the Iona game with a sprained thumb. It was the ninth time it was used. That starting five improved to 7-2 on the year.- Rutgers improved to 6-0 on the road.- The Scarlet Knights have led at the half in all 12 contests to date. RU held a 28-24 halftime edge on the Hoosiers.- Indiana entered the contest averaging 84.6 points per game, second in the league by 0.1 point behind Maryland. Their 51 points marked a season low and their fewest since its only other loss of the season - a 65-61 overtime setback against Indiana State.- The Hoosiers were ninth nationally in field goal percentage (.485) entering the game but was held to 15-of-50 (30.0 percent) by the Scarlet Knights, marking a season-low.- Indiana was averaging 18.6 assists per game, ranking ninth nationally to start the game. The Hoosiers finished with a season-low seven assists.- Betnijah Laney returned from injury for her ninth double-double of the season and 24th of her career with 20 points and 10 rebounds.- With her 20 points, Laney moved up two positions into 30th on RU's all-time scoring leaders list with 1,068 - surpassing Kristen Foley (1982-87) and Michelle Campbell (2002-06). She now needs 10 more points to move past Patty Delehanty (1978-82) into 29th all-time.- With her 10 rebounds, Laney moved up two positions into 12th on RU's all-time rebounding leaders list with 708 - surpassing Janell Williams (1991-95) and Essence Carson (2004-08). She needs 38 more boards to move ahead of LaTonya Johnson (1988-92) for 11th all-time.- Tyler Scaife added in 16 points and has reached double figure scoring in 39 of her 49 career appearances.- Scaife went 6-of-6 from the free throw line marking the seventh time she has gone perfect when connecting on three or more from the charity stripe in her career.- Kahleah Copper netted 13 points in the win and is now less than 100 points from becoming the 35th Scarlet Knight to reach the 1,000 career point mark. She currently has 908 career points.- Cythnia Hernandez finished 3-of-4 from three-point range. This season, thru 12 games played, Hernadez has amassed 11 made three-point field goals. Last season, Briyona Canty led RU with 13 three-pointers from beyond the arc.- Rachel Hollivay hauled in a season-high 12 rebounds and has reached double-digit rebounds in her last three games. In games with Tennessee, Iona and Indiana, the junior center has averaged 10.7 rebounds.- Syessence Davis finished with six assists and six steals. It was the fifth time this season and 31st time in her career she has finished with five or more assists in a game. It was also the fifth time this season and 40th time in her career she has closed a game with three or more steals.- Rutgers held a 45-33 advantage on the boards and has led its opponents on the glass in11 of its 12 games.- The Hoosiers committed 21 turnovers. Rutgers opponents have registered 20 or more miscues in nine of the 12 games played thus far.

Sent: [/B]Wednesday, December 31, 2014 6:45:01 PM
Subject: [/B]Loyola University Maryland Men's Basketball - Navy Drops Men¹s Hoops On New Year¹s Eve In League Opener

For Immediate Release: Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Navy Drops Men's Hoops On New Year's Eve In League Opener

ANNAPOLIS, Md. - The U.S. Naval Academy committed just five turnovers and shot 49.1 percent from the field Wednesday afternoon and defeated Loyola University Maryland, 70-47, in the Patriot League opener for both teams at Alumni Hall.

Worth Smith led the Midshipmen's effort with 21 points and 10 rebounds, making 9-of-15 field goals. Tillman Dunbar added 13 points and had six assists without a turnover.

Tyler Hubbard hit a three and made a free throw after being fouled with 14:08 to play in the first half, giving Loyola (4-8 overall, 0-1 Patriot League) its first lead of the game, 13-11, but Smith responded with a Navy (5-8, 1-0) three 56 ticks later to put the Midshipmen back on top.

That sequence was the only time in the game that Navy trailed as it extended its advantage to nine, 37-26, at halftime.

Loyola cut the lead to seven early in the second half as Eric Laster and Cam Gregory had layups bookending one by Dunbar, but a Smith basket at 15:52 put the Midshipmen advantage in double-digits for the rest of the game.

Hubbard scored 16 points to lead Loyola, but all of his scoring came in the first half. He took just one second-half shot. Laster added 12, and Gregory led the Greyhounds with nine rebounds and three steals.

The Greyhounds open the home portion of their Patriot League schedule Saturday, Jan. 3, at 2 o'clock when they host the U.S. Military Academy in Reitz Arena.

- loyolagreyhounds.com -

--
Ryan Eigenbrode
(410) 617-2337, office
www.LoyolaGreyhounds.com

Complete Game Notes Attached As PDF

Loyola Greyhounds vs. Army Black Knights

Saturday, January 3, 2015 | 2:00 p.m.
Baltimore, Maryland | Reitz Arena

Hits About The 'Hounds

Loyola University Maryland plays its first Patriot League home game of the season Saturday, Jan. 3, when it hosts the U.S. Military Academy at 2 p.m.
The game will be the Greyhounds' first in Reitz Arena in 28 days. They played four-straight on the road since hosting Mount St. Mary's on Dec. 6.
Loyola leads the Patriot League in 3-point percentage defense, holding opponents to 30.3 percent from behind the arc this year.
The Greyhounds are in their second season of competition in the Patriot League after playing in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference from 1989-2013.

Last Time Out

Tyler Hubbard made a 3-pointer and free throw for a 4-point play with 14:08 to go in the first half, giving Loyola a two-point lead, but it was the only time in Wednesday's game that the Greyhounds were in front.
The U.S. Naval Academy led by nine, 37-28, at halftime and then by double-digits for the last 15:52 of the contest in a 70-47 decision in Annapolis, Maryland.
Hubbard scored 16 points, all coming in the first half, to lead Loyola scorers, and Eric Laster added 12. Hubbard went 6-of-10 from the floor but had only one second-half attempt.
Worth Smith scored 21 points and had 10 rebounds for Navy.

Patriot League Network

Fans can watch every home Loyola game, as well as all Patriot League road contests in free HD this season, live on the Patriot League Network. Gary Lambrecht will call the play-by-play with Jim Chivers '05 handling the analysis.