ADVERTISEMENT

DIAA Board Meeting

MTownCavs09

JV stand out
Sep 11, 2007
Looks like as far as waiver claims being discussed for the upcoming meeting

Caravel, Red Lion, and Newark all has 1 request, A.I. DuPont has 7, and Sussex Central has 4.

the board will also discuss the plan moving forward of teams changing classifications as well as the counteroffer from the Delmarva officials degree association.

and of course if they don’t lose quorum (who are we kidding) they will shine light on the NIL topic.

Looks like as far as waiver claims being discussed for the upcoming meeting

Caravel, Red Lion, and Newark all has 1 request, A.I. DuPont has 7, and Sussex Central has 4.

the board will also discuss the plan moving forward of teams changing classifications as well as the counteroffer from the Delmarva officials degree association.

and of course if they don’t lose quorum (who are we kidding) they will shine light on the NIL topic.
Only the Red Lion and Newark waivers look to require an executive session. The others have been approved on an interim basis by the executive director, and unless someone has a prioblem with letting the AI kids play football elsewhere, they should go quickly. I'm not sure what the deal is with Sussex Central's four.

This is the fourth time the complaints about Middletown have been on the agenda. Let's see how close the board gets to that part of the agenda. I'm thinking the quorum is long gone by then.

Keep in mind these aren't always for football could be any sport..

Newark is 2.7 waiver of years of participation
RLCA is 2.4 transfer hardship waiver

The granting of interim waivers

Caravel 2.4 transfer waiver
AI's 7- 2.3 (eligibility, enrollment and attendance) we know what that's about
Central's 4- 1 is 2.4 transfer waiver 3 are 2.1 age eligibility waiver.

We can assume the age eligibility waiver request are not for football

2.1 Eligibility, Age

2.1.1 Students who become 19 years of age on or after June 15 immediately preceding the student’s year of participation shall be eligible for all sports provided all other eligibility requirements are met. In determining the age of a contestant, the birth date as entered on the birth record of the Bureau of Vital Statistics shall be required and shall be so certified on all eligibility lists.

2.1.1.1 Requests for a waiver of the age requirement shall only be considered for participation on an unofficial, nonscoring basis in noncontact or non collision sports.

Last edited:
Keep in mind these aren't always for football could be any sport..

Newark is 2.7 waiver of years of participation
RLCA is 2.4 transfer hardship waiver

The granting of interim waivers

Caravel 2.4 transfer waiver
AI's 7- 2.3 (eligibility, enrollment and attendance) we know what that's about
Central's 4- 1 is 2.4 transfer waiver 3 are 2.1 age eligibility waiver.

We can assume the age eligibility waiver request are not for football

2.1 Eligibility, Age

2.1.1 Students who become 19 years of age on or after June 15 immediately preceding the student’s year of participation shall be eligible for all sports provided all other eligibility requirements are met. In determining the age of a contestant, the birth date as entered on the birth record of the Bureau of Vital Statistics shall be required and shall be so certified on all eligibility lists.

2.1.1.1 Requests for a waiver of the age requirement shall only be considered for participation on an unofficial, nonscoring basis in noncontact or non collision sports.
Correct on the age waiver. It’s for soccer.

Reactions: Woody_Wood
Has anyone looked at the proposed realignment pdf on the agenda?

for 2023, Class 3A will be 12 teams (Not 11), Class 2A will be 18 teams (Not 21), and Class 1A will be 16 teams (Not 14) with all 3 playoffs moving to an 8 team format.

the bullet points make it seem like they wanna get rid of the Week 0 games and the bye weeks caused by it.

so this leads to speculation….who would be the team that moves UP to 3A, and who are the 2 teams Moving down to 2A?

they want 3A District 2 to be 6 teams not 5…in order to do that you’d have to move up Woodbridge. If you move up a team like DMA who’s been pleading to move up, you’d move them to District 1 and then probably move St. George’s to District 2.

for teams moving down I’d move A.I. DuPont and probably Glasgow

any thoughts on this?

Scratch that, later on in the pdf it says they will asks all schools in 2A if there is one team who wishes to voluntarily move up….looks like DMA just might get there wish lol

Reactions: BackinBlack86

for 2023, Class 3A will be 12 teams (Not 11), Class 2A will be 18 teams (Not 21), and Class 1A will be 16 teams (Not 14) with all 3 playoffs moving to an 8 team format.

the bullet points make it seem like they wanna get rid of the Week 0 games and the bye weeks caused by it.

so this leads to speculation….who would be the team that moves UP to 3A, and who are the 2 teams Moving down to 2A?

they want 3A District 2 to be 6 teams not 5…in order to do that you’d have to move up Woodbridge. If you move up a team like DMA who’s been pleading to move up, you’d move them to District 1 and then probably move St. George’s to District 2.

any thoughts on this?
where this pdf link?

Scratch that, later on in the pdf it says they will asks all schools in 2A if there is one team who wishes to voluntarily move up….looks like DMA just might get there wish lol
DMA may decide to hold off on going up if the season continues the way it started last week.

Archmere may have to go up, if they win the 2A championship again this year. Which they are favored to do. That would make 2 championships in a row, 3 championship appearances in a row and at least 5 playoff appearances in a row. If I remember correctly the original calculation to place teams was partially based on the teams record for the past 3 and 5 seasons. Unless they try a Howard move and insist they stay down. Which would be not a good move imo.

any thoughts on this?
Based on the proposal there should be at least 3, 2A, teams that should go down. Because Laurel will need to go up this year. It may be best for St E's to go up a well.

AI should have no problem moving down. They've requested it for months and we see how that turned out.

There is a case to bring Woodbridge up but it would make more sense to bring up Archmere and move St Georges over to 3A 2.

Hopefully the DIAA considers moving Red Lion to a northern district to reduce travel.

a lot can happen between now and the end of the season. The overall revision to the structure does seem to make sense. Talking about who moves up or down is premature IMO

There is a good chance that this is a down year for DMA. They lost a lot of seniors and don't really have many on the team now. But there is a good crop of juniors and sophomores and a few good freshmen now so if this season is mediocre the next couple of years should be better. And even though they were scrimmages they looked like they could hang with SC and St. G. So a move up probably puts them in the the middle of the pack at first. And I can't see St. G moving down because technically with Middletowns forfeits last year they were district Champs and that would look weird if they moved down so quickly after

There is a good chance that this is a down year for DMA. They lost a lot of seniors and don't really have many on the team now. But there is a good crop of juniors and sophomores and a few good freshmen now so if this season is mediocre the next couple of years should be better. And even though they were scrimmages they looked like they could hang with SC and St. G. So a move up probably puts them in the the middle of the pack at first. And I can't see St. G moving down because technically with Middletowns forfeits last year they were district Champs and that would look weird if they moved down so quickly after
I don't think they should move down. I was saying they could move over to the southern district instead of Woodbridge moving up.

Reactions: Longagoplayer
Movement/Waiver Process

3A In order to determine which team from 2A will move up to 3A the following steps will be taken

1. District 2A schools will be contacted to see if any team is interested in voluntarily moving up. The interested team will need to complete the application for reclassification

2. If no team is interested in voluntarily moving up, we would use data from the first two seasons of the current re-alignment (combining enrollment and record over the two year period) to identify potential teams for moving up. The proposed formula would be 50% enrollment and 50% record.

3. Once teams are identified, a final team will be selected to move up.

4. No team who is the bottom half of enrollment amongst the 46 teams would be forced to move up. They may however apply to move.

Last edited:
2A

In order to determine which teams from 2A will move down to 1A the following steps will be taken

1. Combining the final regular season records from 2021 and 2022 the teams with the lowest in classification winning percentage will be identified.

2. The two teams with the lowest in classification winning percentage will be suggested to move down.

3. If a team from 1A is interested in moving up to 2A, the team with the third lowest winning percentage would be suggested to move down.

4. No teams who have an above .500 winning percentage or have qualified for the playoffs will be considered to move down.

Last edited:
1A

In order to determine any teams from 1A who want to move up to 2A the following steps will be taken

1. 1A teams wanting to move up a classification will need to complete the application for reclassification

2. If more than one team is interested in moving up we will evaluate the teams and movement of classes to find the best fit

I don't think they should move down. I was saying they could move over to the southern district instead of Woodbridge moving up.
My bad I thought I saw someone say move down and if I misread you I'm sorry. If Woodbridge moved up it would work out nicely but if it is a northern team you have to figure out which team do you place in the south considering you have Appo, Mtown, HVT and St. G all in a relatively close area and all of them would have roughly the same drive south for all of them

There is no chance St. Elizabeth moves up. The enrollment has suffered since the pandemic. There's a better chance of Laurel moving up, especially if they win again this season.

Caravel further north than RLCA.. Just saying
I think Red Lion would technically be further north since. Caravel is on what rd. 72 or something like that and Red Lion is like a half mile north of 72. Red Lion can just get on 1 faster lol

I think Red Lion would technically be further north since. Caravel is on what rd. 72 or something like that and Red Lion is like a half mile north of 72. Red Lion can just get on 1 faster lol

RLCA to Delmar HS 87.9 miles
CA to Delmar HS 89.1 miles

I rest my case 🤣

305957174_10159846811920743_2928533913264418414_n.jpg

Last edited:
As far as air miles, Caravel and Red Lion are about the same. But yes, from the rt. 1/ rt. 72 exit Red Lion would be closer

Archmere may have to go up, if they win the 2A championship again this year. Which they are favored to do. That would make 2 championships in a row, 3 championship appearances in a row and at least 5 playoff appearances in a row. If I remember correctly the original calculation to place teams was partially based on the teams record for the past 3 and 5 seasons. Unless they try a Howard move and insist they stay down. Which would be not a good move imo.
you're proposing a school with roughly 250 boys enrolled should be moved up to 3A?

There is no chance St. Elizabeth moves up. The enrollment has suffered since the pandemic. There's a better chance of Laurel moving up, especially if they win again this season.

Odessa may want to go up . They will have a full 4 classes next year and approx 1200 enrollment

Last edited:
For 3A

4. No team who is the bottom half of enrollment amongst the 46 teams would be forced to move up. They may however apply to move.

So based on the 2020 enrolments the cutoff off would basically be under 900 or close to it. Howard would skate again..lol

23. Seaford HS 897
24 Howard HS 875

306085177_10159846822965743_7538284744238978513_n.jpg

you're proposing a school with roughly 250 boys enrolled should be moved up to 3A?
Can't happen. Archmere will never be near the top half of enrollment (upper 800 range) so they can't be forced to move up under this proposal.

Last edited:
So close lol

doesnt matter when Laurel comes up and they go to 6 teams per district

2A D3 will look like this

Delmar
Woodbridge
S Tech
Lake
Milford
Laurel

So RLCA and CA both will be redistricted.. if RLCA does bad again this year they could go down.. probably not though

It’s been 4.5 hours and I can already tell you this board will also lose quorum once again.

whoever this one dude is, everything that has been presented to him, he keeps recommending another committee or suggesting they point someone else to do this or do that.

YOU ARE part of the committee that oversees everything, and you keep pushing everything onto someone else. “What are you gonna do to fix it? “I wanna see someone make a plan!” …….What a joke this whole this thing is. Lol

So lets look at 2A D1 and D2

2A D1

DMA
St Marks
(either one of those two could go up)
Concord
Delcastle
Newark
(those 3 not going anywhere)
McKean
Conrad
(both candidates to move down)

2A D2

Howard
(could be candidate to move up)
Archmere
Mt Pleasant
Tower Hill
Friends
(should stay put)
Brandywine (makes their 6)

AI (will go down)

SO RLCA and CA should move into the slots vacated by those going up or going down

Keeping in mind there will be two teams from 2A moved down (possibly 3 if any 1A teams wants to go up) and 1 team from 2A moved up..

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT