ADVERTISEMENT

Double Headers...

DDBasketballCoach

Special teams standout
Jan 17, 2017
Anybody understand the logic behind this?
I guess it is a cool concept, but you're gonna have these kids play at 12. Then turn back around right after a game a hard fought play off game and play a top seed?
Just sets it up easy for the higher seeds. You throw your ace in the 1st round and then you have nothing for the double header. I don't know not really a fan of the new set up.
Wont give much chances for these underdogs

I guess it is a cool concept, but you're gonna have these kids play at 12. Then turn back around right after a game a hard fought play off game and play a top seed?
Just sets it up easy for the higher seeds. You throw your ace in the 1st round and then you have nothing for the double header. I don't know not really a fan of the new set up.
It was the best alternative (in DIAA's eyes) to get more teams in the tournament. Previously it was 16 that got in. Games still have to be played in same time frame. DH games in baseball are quite common, really think they should do more on weekends during the season to add more games. Most of the other states play at least 25 games a year. Delaware is on the low end. Baseball is meant to play!

Anything can happen , Sussex tech played their way to the quarterfinals last year off a what I call a play in game , all depend on your matchups , any given day anyone can beat someone ! Pitching is the great equalizer in baseball

Reactions: soccer07 and CHS89

Real reason is because so many people complained about teams not making it in so they went to 20 to stop the crying. But it it only pushes it to the #21 #22 seeded teams. (Should they be in) It would never end no matter how many teams they let in.

Also, the higher seeds deserve the so called easier games for what they did during the season, but its not always true. Yes those lower seeds have to play 2 games that day but they lucked out this year and the weather will only be around 78 not 95. Don't count them out so easy. If i was playing I would love to have the 2 games.

Real reason is because so many people complained about teams not making it in so they went to 20 to stop the crying. But it it only pushes it to the #21 #22 seeded teams. (Should they be in) It would never end no matter how many teams they let in.

Also, the higher seeds deserve the so called easier games for what they did during the season, but its not always true. Yes those lower seeds have to play 2 games that day but they lucked out this year and the weather will only be around 78 not 95. Don't count them out so easy. If i was playing I would love to have the 2 games.
Its ridiculous to think two baseball games in a day is hard. These kids played three and even four in a day with their travel teams. Someone else can look into the stats if they care, but #12 thru #16 won how many state championships?? #17 thru #20, yeah you got in. Wanna go further? Better have more than one pitcher. Big congrats to #1 thru #4. You earned an easier road to the quarters.
The only real unfortunate thing is all the games are on one day. No other way to do it though.

Reactions: CHS89
Its ridiculous to think two baseball games in a day is hard. These kids played three and even four in a day with their travel teams. Someone else can look into the stats if they care, but #12 thru #16 won how many state championships?? #17 thru #20, yeah you got in. Wanna go further? Better have more than one pitcher. Big congrats to #1 thru #4. You earned an easier road to the quarters.
The only real unfortunate thing is all the games are on one day. No other way to do it though.

Agreed. You better have more than one or two pitchers if you want to make a run at it. Double headers are a part of baseball. They do it at every level. High schools in most states do it routinely. Plus teams that finished higher deserve an easier road. NFL and MLB do it with the wild card games.

Reactions: CHS89
2 baseball games in 1 day shouldn't be hard for high school kids.

I think it's fine. Too many teams get in though. Too watered down.

Travel teams play 4-5 games the last day of a SATB tourney, or they did 4+ years ago.

20 teams of 49 in the state is roughly 40%.

2 games shouldn't be a problem, and 20 teams were needed. Too many teams with 12-6 records and quality wins left out at 16. Even at 20 you had a Glasgow team that beat Dover, St Georges and Middletown not get enough points to get in.

This will be the first year of the true doubleheader...last year got moved to i think Monday due to weather. 2 games of tournament level baseball at the same field should be fun. I expect one of the top 4 to be taken down if they don't throw their #1's in the back end of the double header.

Glasgow got hurt by some weak non conf games as well though.

They played DAPS, Sanford, Delmarva Christian and ST More. Couple that with the loss to AI and that kind of sealed their fate.

Reactions: Bucsnot
Glasgow got hurt by some weak non conf games as well though.

They played DAPS, Sanford, Delmarva Christian and ST More. Couple that with the loss to AI and that kind of sealed their fate.
Delmarva Christian actually got them a bonus point this year. One more win against A.I., Wm Penn, of Newark would have done it.

I like the format and wouldn't change it. It gives teams that are all but guaranteed to be in the tournament with 4 or 5 games left something to play for (a top 4 seed and bye) ... which helps insure they aren't coasting and thus perhaps giving away quality wins to teams late in season. Also gets more teams in the field than before with a chance to get hot. Is it a disadvantage to be 13-20? Sure, so don't lose games in the regular season. Don't schedule cupcakes. This is baseball, the best team in State shouldn't be a one man "we have an ace" show like Hodgson was couple years back with Walter. Those teams can get in and win a game, but in baseball the best is defined by more than one pitcher. Finally, like was stated above, doubleheaders are a fact of baseball life from age 10 on and if anything we could use more of them rather then less.

Only downside is there are a ton of great 1st round Saturday match ups ... Poly & Haas v Delmar & Adkins should be intense. Two of the State's best arms. Smyrna & Carrrow v Hodgson ... Milford v Salies another game I'd love to see and it's just impossible to catch them all. But that problem just can't be avoided.

I think the way the field is determined does insure that the best team in the State is in the field. However, I am not sure it is the best 20 though when I see a team like Sussex Central left out, (as they can beat any team in the State in a first round game ... and not sure all the teams that made it in can realistically claim that) but I am sure they can look back on their early season and see too many wins they let go.

I agree Central should of been in the playoffs. 6 out of their 8 losses were to playoff teams this year. Dover beat Easton pretty well wasn't impressed with them very much. If Central beats CR they make the tourney basically. Tough start for Central starting out 0-3 against teams like Tech, Delmar and Cape is tough.

DH's are a regular part of the American Legion schedule. This year weekend DHs will be inter-division matchups (North vs. South teams) to minimize travel.

and yes, many of the kids have played travel at some point playing 2 games on Saturdays and single elimination on Sundays where they could play up to 3 games.

Not sure everyone's thoughts now that the first two rounds are done, but seemed the teams from the play in games did pretty well vs the top 4 seeds. Based on box scores, looks like Hodgson jumped on M-town and won, Poly had Conrad down 1-0 in the 6th, DMA was up 2-1 on Appo in the 6th. If i'm not mistaken all 3 of them threw their #1 guy in the play in game and were more than competitive in the next game vs the higher seed #1. St E's got beat 8-0 by Caravel is the lone game that wasn't close.

I think the new format worked well.

Reactions: TouchThemAll
I thought it was great. Glad they staggered some games with noon, 2 and 4 PM starts. I went to see 4 games this weekend.

Newark Charter vs Archmere
Sallies vs Milford
Conrad vs Poly
Appo vs DMA

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT