ADVERTISEMENT

Dover Basketball

84rider

D1A Prospect
Feb 27, 2009
Congrats to Dover on a great season. As a CR guy I never thought I would be rooting for Dover but this team showed a lot of heart. They never disappointed, they brought that killer instinct ever night they played. They were 5 seconds away from taking down somewhat of an all star team in Sanford and winning their first ship. Good luck to the seniors and can’t wait to see Allen and Davis next season, they will learn and get better next season.

Congrats to Dover on a great season. As a CR guy I never thought I would be rooting for Dover but this team showed a lot of heart. They never disappointed, they brought that killer instinct ever night they played. They were 5 seconds away from taking down somewhat of an all star team in Sanford and winning their first ship. Good luck to the seniors and can’t wait to see Allen and Davis next season, they will learn and get better next season.
They will work harder than ever for that rematch next year. Great year Dover!

They didn't lose to an all star team.

Dover is just as good (which they just proved).

Dover needs to schedule some stiffer competition for next year. Don't go to a tournament like they did last year and not play the best team there (St. George's). Playing cupcakes doesn't teach young players how to fight through and win when faced with real adversity. Dover could have won that game yesterday by all accounts.

They didn't lose to an all star team.

Dover is just as good (which they just proved).

When you are a private and pull kids from different parts of the state or different school districts for the purpose of playing basketball, that’s an all star team imo...Dover kids live in Capital school district only.

First and foremost this was a great game. Both teams played hard and great. Great support by Sanford fans and students. Great support by the Dover community. However, I’m very disappointed in the Dover band not not bringing their Rolling Thunder and the whole band. Their student section was sad at best. I guess nothing will change with their student population attitude towards sports. They only show up for home games when they do well and still never show true support. Congrats to Sanford for winning Delaware state title with out of state talent.

Do they? https://delawarestatenews.net/sport/transfers-spencer-lassiter-play-key-roles-for-senators/

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed watching Dover this season, but it's time to forget that transfers belong to private schools only.

I know exactly where JL lives, and he could walk to East Dover Elementary school , not sure where Spencer lives, but nice try, the article didn’t state where he lives and where his family lives . People do move don’t they, that’s still a thing right ???

Reactions: 1stStateRealist
I know exactly where JL lives, and he could walk to East Dover Elementary school , not sure where Spencer lives, but nice try, the article didn’t state where he lives and where his family lives . People do move don’t they, that’s still a thing right ???
Seaford...played AAU for one of the assiant coaches I believe. 3 of the 5 AAU players are on Dovers squad.

I just want people to get their heads out of the sand about transfers. Several traditional public schools have gone deep into the transfer pool in the past few years. Pretending this is limited to non-public schools is naive.

Sounds like Spencer doesn't live in Dover. Two years ago, Mount Pleasant had a transfer from William Penn and another from McKean. Glasgow's quarterback transferred to Smyrna a few seasons ago. Smyrna basketball has been a way station for one-year stopovers.

I understand the private -- and charter and vo-tech -- schools have a wider student base. But this isn't a one-way issue as so many have portrayed it.

I just want people to get their heads out of the sand about transfers. Several traditional public schools have gone deep into the transfer pool in the past few years. Pretending this is limited to non-public schools is naive.

Sounds like Spencer doesn't live in Dover. Two years ago, Mount Pleasant had a transfer from William Penn and another from McKean. Glasgow's quarterback transferred to Smyrna a few seasons ago. Smyrna basketball has been a way station for one-year stopovers.

I understand the private -- and charter and vo-tech -- schools have a wider student base. But this isn't a one-way issue as so many have portrayed it.
I wonder how good Seaford would have been if Spencer and the other 2 players who got in trouble would have been.

They would have competed for south chip and definitely playoff bound. Sykes was about 6'2 and a killer.

LOL All Star team SMH You were doing great until that

LOL All Star team SMH You were doing great until that

damn, you saying I went to far lmao, you should of talked me off the ledge, didn’t mean a true all star team, simply meant if you live in New Castle and have skills and want to increase your odds of exposure and a ship, Sanford is a no brainer

Reactions: theWILL2WIN
I wish you would step back
From that ledge my friend
You could cut ties with all the lies
That you've been living in
And if you do not want to see me again
I would understand

Reactions: 84rider
I wonder how good Seaford would have been if Spencer and the other 2 players who got in trouble would have been.
Congrats on your season Dover and Coach Wilson! I really appreciate how you took Spencer in when others turn away from this young man that needed help. He played Great Saturday. Had a double double and had between 5 to 7 blocks. He went from Seaford to Dover and handle himself in a hostile environment. Great Job Coach Stephen Wilson and Dover for giving the young men another chance. Now I heard he is receiving offers from colleges. That is what it is all about. Great Job!

I want to say that I’m a fan of Coach Stan, he has built something special, i wasn’t trying to knock him or the program. Congrats on the ship and the many more to come. To be the best you have to beat the best, no excuses, just stating my opinion.

Congrats on your season Dover and Coach Wilson! I really appreciate how you took Spencer in when others turn away from this young man that needed help. He played Great Saturday. Had a double double and had between 5 to 7 blocks. He went from Seaford to Dover and handle himself in a hostile environment. Great Job Coach Stephen Wilson and Dover for giving the young men another chance. Now I heard he is receiving offers from colleges. That is what it is all about. Great Job!
Spencer played very well. FYI, his official stats Saturday were 8 points, 6 rebounds, and 4 blocks.

Reactions: Les61
Dover held their own despite the size advantage for Sanford. Thought Spencer played well and had a couple well timed offensive put backs

When you are a private and pull kids from different parts of the state or different school districts for the purpose of playing basketball, that’s an all star team imo...Dover kids live in Capital school district only.
Listen. Dover got bit by the same bugs that’s been biting teams up north for years. Sanford is a basketball academy. Nothing new, it just is what it is. What’s interesting to me is that this is the 2nd year in a row the south fell. It’s just last year it was to a little Catholic school. Stay humble next year and the fall won’t be so far...

Dover needs to schedule some stiffer competition for next year. Don't go to a tournament like they did last year and not play the best team there (St. George's). Playing cupcakes doesn't teach young players how to fight through and win when faced with real adversity. Dover could have won that game yesterday by all accounts.

Dover coming up short Saturday had nothing to do with Dover’s strength of schedule. Nothing about their schedule was a cupcake. Dover did not back down from the all out fight to win that game against Sanford. And although they lost, I believe they played their best game by far. That game literally came down to the last seconds, maybe even one save of the ball going wrong. Sanford did not win because they fought harder. I believe - in that game- both teams fought an equal fight. However, Sanford was in the right position at the right time.
Nevertheless, it will make for a rematch out of this world! Hopefully, the Dover/Sanford staff, and the committee working the Slam Dunk to the Beach will set up a preview game for all of us in December. That would be a money maker for sure!!!

Last edited:
And if someone was super smart and had either the Nike or Under Armour connection, they should get the core of both teams and create a super Team Delaware AAU squad and hit all the live circuits coming in May and July, Delaware would seriously be on the map! I actually believe this is how our top players end up leaving the state; because they get noticed playing with these out of state AAU programs, and other private schools in other states come knocking on their doors. I know this for a fact because I almost sent my son to St. Benedict’s this past year and even thought about reclassifying him because they came knocking after watching him play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
Dover coming up short Saturday had nothing to do with Dover’s strength of schedule. Nothing about their schedule was a cupcake. Dover did not back down from the all out fight to win that game against Sanford. And although they lost, I believe they played their best game by far. That game literally came down to the last seconds, maybe even one save of the ball going wrong. Sanford did not win because they fought harder. I believe - in that game- both teams fought an equal fight. However, Sanford was in the right position at the right time.
Nevertheless, it will make for a rematch out of this world! Hopefully, the Dover/Sanford staff, and the committee working the Slam Dunk to the Beach will set up a preview game for all of us in December. That would be a money maker for sure!!!
So by you saying they should play in Dec vs Sanford, do you agree that they should be playing a tougher schedule next year? Or are you ok with them staying complacent with an easy schedule throughout the regular season?

Reactions: jvm3
So by you saying they should play in Dec vs Sanford, do you agree that they should be playing a tougher schedule next year? Or are you ok with them staying complacent with an easy schedule throughout the regular season?
I just want to know who is really tough up state besides Sanford and don’t say St George’s

Reactions: Roddav3557
Outside of Sanford and Dover. Was anybody actually that good?
Dover went on a run in the playoffs winning by an average of 15 points each round and Sanford won by an average of almost 18.
They were the only real competition in Delaware, and we saw that in a phenomenal championship game.
Don't take anything away from Dover because of schedule. You can only play the teams in front of you and they did just that and they took care of business each and every night! 20-0 regular season. It would be easy to drop a game or two but they remained focused.
We want to see Sanford/Dover at Slam Dunk because that is a large event and if we want to see Delaware basketball on the map. Those two need to go at it!
I understand Cape hosts the tournament but they had no business being in it this past season and frankly shouldn't be again next year unless Barnes comes back to Cape.
Take J. Davis and Nana two highly scouted players
along with E.Allen, E.Davis and J.Specner who all should be getting some looks here shortly and let these teams put on in front of the competition

St. George's, Caravel, Sallies, Mount Pleasant, William Penn, Glasgow were all tough teams.

Will any of the teams you just named be any good next year? Bones will be gone from Saint Georges Tech, Ali will be gone from Mount Pleasant, I’m not sure what William pen even had this year because Dover beat them with no problem. Not to mention, Dover beat Mount Pleasant in a scrimmage, beat Caravel at the end, and beat William Penn during the regular season.

Will any of the teams you just named be any good next year? Bones will be gone from Saint Georges Tech, Ali will be gone from Mount Pleasant, I’m not sure what William pen even had this year because Dover beat them with no problem. Not to mention, Dover beat Mount Pleasant in a scrimmage, beat Caravel at the end, and beat William Penn during the regular season.
Who said we were talking about next year? @DDBasketballCoach asked, "who was actually good."

It's always good when the cupboard is full. Right now Dover is right at the top of the food chain in Delaware and that's good. The hard part for these coaches is building a program that will allow you remain at the top consistently.

It's always good when the cupboard is full. Right now Dover is right at the top of the food chain in Delaware and that's good. The hard part for these coaches is building a program that will allow you remain at the top consistently.
Your right, and the ones that are consistent year in and year out are private schools up north.
Right or wrong?

Reactions: 84rider
With all this being said Delaware won’t get put on the map by Dover and Sanford playing each other they have to play the powerhouse teams that’s going to be in the Slam dunk of the beach , because believe it or not Sanford isn’t even respected outside of Delaware and on another note Dover needs to play everybody in there conference once and try to schedule the good teams in the P.a. and Maryland area

And if someone was super smart and had either the Nike or Under Armour connection, they should get the core of both teams and create a super Team Delaware AAU squad and hit all the live circuits coming in May and July, Delaware would seriously be on the map! I actually believe this is how our top players end up leaving the state; because they get noticed playing with these out of state AAU programs, and other private schools in other states come knocking on their doors. I know this for a fact because I almost sent my son to St. Benedict’s this past year and even thought about reclassifying him because they came knocking after watching him play.
It takes more than a connection to get on these circuits you would have to have an aau team win there region and place top 5 in nationals to be considered a contract from one of those circuit brands

I disagree, Sanford will be playing in the "City Of Palms" next season and that High School tournament in December is the Biggest High School tournament in the Country... Plus quite a few D1 coaches came to Sanford before the season started during Open Gym. Some of the following schools were there: MARYLAND, VCU, UD, NC STATE, RUTGERS, MIAMI, WITCHA STATE, TOWSON, PROVIDENCE, LASALLE, ST JOE, & TEMPLE.. And this was in a three week span....

This is why 6th Man Warriors(Adidas)/Delaware’s Finest should get back in the game, with Coach Larry Bryant, Karen Waters, and Coach Hooks!

Reactions: life lessons
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT