ADVERTISEMENT

Dover Basketball

This thread is why Delaware is messed up. Dover gave the game away they had plenty of opportunities to win the game and they didnt simple and plain. Now what you should be teaching the kids is accepting the loss like a man, giving credit where credit is due and going back to the gym to get better. Kids are going to college out of Delaware left and right so stop crying. And get out of the dark ages all this up state down state mess at the end of the day all these kids are from DELAWARE and we should support them all and wish them well no matter what they do.......

Your right, and the ones that are consistent year in and year out are private schools up north.
Right or wrong?
Yes, the privates up north are consistent but some of the larger publics (with school sizes of 2K plus kids) should be able to build programs sustainable enough to compete with these privates.

I disagree, Sanford will be playing in the "City Of Palms" next season and that High School tournament in December is the Biggest High School tournament in the Country... Plus quite a few D1 coaches came to Sanford before the season started during Open Gym. Some of the following schools were there: MARYLAND, VCU, UD, NC STATE, RUTGERS, MIAMI, WITCHA STATE, TOWSON, PROVIDENCE, LASALLE, ST JOE, & TEMPLE.. And this was in a three week span....

Yo SWAT, I think Virginia Tech and Villanova too!!!

Telling everybody right now .. Cape will be very , very, good next year.. With Corey Barnes and D.C. crew coming to Lewes. Same crew that beat Bones and St.Georges by 37 in Maryland ... I hope Nobody leaves Dover or Sanford and Sussex Tech ... Cape will be ready for all 3 easily. Can't wait for next season...already.. Guarantee won't be no rematch next year.. You heard it here from me first.. Lol

Cape fans talked trash about Smyrna and there transfers. They dogged Sussex Tech when S. Johnson transferred and now looky looky lol. If you can't beat'em I guess you join them.

Reactions: 84rider
Telling everybody right now .. Cape will be very , very, good next year.. With Corey Barnes and D.C. crew coming to Lewes. Same crew that beat Bones and St.Georges by 37 in Maryland ... I hope Nobody leaves Dover or Sanford and Sussex Tech ... Cape will be ready for all 3 easily. Can't wait for next season...already.. Guarantee won't be no rematch next year.. You heard it here from me first.. Lol

Easily? Yeah you been spot on all year.

I just need to remember to bring a sweater next year for the parade in Hockessin. Was a bit chilly today.

You don’t need a 1000 you only need 2-3 guys who can score and 1-2 to defend and rebound. Public schools compete in every major sport ie..basketball, baseball, football, wrestling and soccer. Private’s are usually specialize in or focus on one sport only. The only exceptions are Sallies and Caravel. St Marks isn’t what is used to be unfortunately. Kids that concentrate on one sport tend to go to the private school upstate that fills that need. Delaware public schools are late to the party with the exception being Smyrna and CR for wrestling. School of choice for Tech schools is now regulated downstate, it’s not as easy to switch to a tech school unless you start applying while your child is in middle school.

Last edited:
Dovers JV team only lost three games this year
Roddav3557.. Please make sure You on here next year..lol... I enjoyed debating
Easily? Yeah you been spot on all year.

I just need to remember to bring a sweater next year for the parade in Hockessin. Was a bit chilly today.
Joke about it now .. We will revisit this again next year.. Just remember I said easily too..

Roddav3557.. Please make sure You on here next year..lol... I enjoyed debating

Joke about it now .. We will revisit this again next year.. Just remember I said easily too..

No worries. I’ll be here and remember. It just gets hard typing with all these rings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patcomic
Cape fans talked trash about Smyrna and there transfers. They dogged Sussex Tech when S. Johnson transferred and now looky looky lol. If you can't beat'em I guess you join the
mm.
Oh no we ain't crying.. Lol.. You can have S. Johnson.. You can have Reynolds and Kane at Tech too.. Still won't have shot against Cape next year.. Yea you right can't beat them join them.. Cape will have the last laugh.. Haha..

This thread is why Delaware is messed up. Dover gave the game away they had plenty of opportunities to win the game and they didnt simple and plain. Now what you should be teaching the kids is accepting the loss like a man, giving credit where credit is due and going back to the gym to get better. Kids are going to college out of Delaware left and right so stop crying. And get out of the dark ages all this up state down state mess at the end of the day all these kids are from DELAWARE and we should support them all and wish them well no matter what they do.......

I agree...Dover gave the game away!

I never like the stall ball because it seems like while one team is stalling the other team is pressuring & gets the turnover. W/ that being said say what you want about Dover’s coaching that specific game but that staff had those boys in position to win that game against a very good Sanford team. I mean he can’t go out there & shoot the free throws for the kids. I wouldn’t blame that loss on coaching though, or not even the players cuz they are just kids but whether you liked Steph’s coaching throughout the year or not he wasn’t to blame there. Dover shot 30-32 from the free throw line in the semis then 7-15 in the Finals w/ a number of those misses coming in the 4th quarter during crunch time w/ a couple minutes left. It’s easy to play the blame game when people don’t like the results but I gotta disagree here, not to mention there was obviously some people who were already going to blame Steph (Coach Wilson) if Dover lost before the game even started. Congrats to Sanford & to Dover along w/ that entire coaching staff this year on a nice run.

That’s what I agree on. The stall ball killed the momentum when Dover got hot. I’m not discrediting the coaching to that point. They did a great job all year. However I’ve never liked stalling with that much time left and against a great team.

That’s what I agree on. The stall ball killed the momentum when Dover got hot. I’m not discrediting the coaching to that point. They did a great job all year. However I’ve never liked stalling with that much time left and against a great team.
Dover's run came when Perkins was on the bench with 4 fouls...I really thought he was the difference for Sanford. Bottom line as someone already mentioned, if Dover hit 60% of their FT's they win, a lot of those missed FT's were on the front end of a 1 and 1. Hard to blame the coach for that...Coaches always get to much credit for winning and to much of the blame for losing.

Dover's run came when Perkins was on the bench with 4 fouls...I really thought he was the difference for Sanford. Bottom line as someone already mentioned, if Dover hit 60% of their FT's they win, a lot of those missed FT's were on the front end of a 1 and 1. Hard to blame the coach for that...Coaches always get to much credit for winning and to much of the blame for losing.

Once again I’m not blaming coaching for the loss. All I’m saying is that I’ve never liked trying to eat up the clock with more than 5 minutes on the clock, when your team is hot at that moment, when you are outmatched in size, but have the speed advantaged. Yes, we all know foulshots could have one the game for them, that unbelievable 3-point foul call could have one them the game, and other decisions looking at it in hind sight. Even with the missed foul shots (and let’s not fail to mention that Sanford missed more foul shots than Dover), they still found themselves up by 1 point. The game Came down to being at the right place at the right time when Dover saved a ball going out of bounds which would have probably been Dover’s ball in the first place.

Congrats on your season Dover and Coach Wilson! I really appreciate how you took Spencer in when others turn away from this young man that needed help. He played Great Saturday. Had a double double and had between 5 to 7 blocks. He went from Seaford to Dover and handle himself in a hostile environment. Great Job Coach Stephen Wilson and Dover for giving the young men another chance. Now I heard he is receiving offers from colleges. That is what it is all about. Great Job!
Who was Seaford's basketball coach this year...

Once again I’m not blaming coaching for the loss. All I’m saying is that I’ve never liked trying to eat up the clock with more than 5 minutes on the clock, when your team is hot at that moment, when you are outmatched in size, but have the speed advantaged. Yes, we all know foulshots could have one the game for them, that unbelievable 3-point foul call could have one them the game, and other decisions looking at it in hind sight. Even with the missed foul shots (and let’s not fail to mention that Sanford missed more foul shots than Dover), they still found themselves up by 1 point. The game Came down to being at the right place at the right time when Dover saved a ball going out of bounds which would have probably been Dover’s ball in the first place.
Well Mr.Davis it really sounds like it when you have to reiterate that your not blaming the coach for the loss in your first sentence. I have a question for you. Where have you coached at and how many years have you coached? In my opinion it seems like we are trying to blame someone or something.

What did you think about Stan's decision to foul with over 3 minutes to play down by 3?

Reactions: jvm3
Well Mr.Davis it really sounds like it when you have to reiterate that your not blaming the coach for the loss in your first sentence. I have a question for you. Where have you coached at and how many years have you coached? In my opinion it seems like we are trying to blame someone or something.

I’m saying that Dover gave the game away that’s all I’m saying and have been saying it from the beginning. I’ve coached Holy across, Campus middle school boys/girls, and 6th Man Warriors/Delaware’s Finest.

What you are really doing is questioning the coaching AND insinuating that a certain kid that saved a certain ball could be to blame for the loss basically.. Then of course we all knew that you would call the foul on the 3-point shot bogus considering who committed the foul after they missed the front end of a 1 and 1. You should chill w/ the subliminals that have become more & more obvious throughout your posts & just let the kids play...ALL of the kids played hard, left it out on the floor & should be proud as a TEAM.

Reactions: jvm3
What did you think about Stan's decision to foul with over 3 minutes to play down by 3?

When I saw it I was shocked. I was like what is Stan doing. Then missing the free throw and getting a fouled 3 point shot on the other end make him look like a genius! its all about how the ball falls with coaching.
Both coaches put their teams in positions to win and the kids all of them played their hearts out and left it out on the court Saturday. Just all came down to how the ball fell and when.

Reactions: FCABucks and J12

Sanford missed quite a few FTs themselves, bottom lines Sanford was the better team that Day. Sanford was up for most of the game until E.Davis hit a 3 to put them up 1 point at the end of the third. NaNa was hurt, Cperk was in foul trouble, or E. Davis could've had a better offensive game. These are all excuses. If, If was a fifth we would all be drunk.....

Reactions: Roddav3557 and J12
What you are really doing is questioning the coaching AND insinuating that a certain kid that saved a certain ball could be to blame for the loss basically.. Then of course we all knew that you would call the foul on the 3-point shot bogus considering who committed the foul after they missed the front end of a 1 and 1. You should chill w/ the subliminals that have become more & more obvious throughout your posts & just let the kids play...ALL of the kids played hard, left it out on the floor & should be proud as a TEAM.

If you guys can’t read English, go back to school.

Sorry, but I took a gig in DC without realizing it was Championship weekend. I only have the semi final recaps. From all the comments I missed a great game. I would love to be going over the it. My apologies.

This is stunning, you have both mentioned Delaware City. The last good basketball players from DC were the Hamans back in the 70's. Pat, what kind of gig did you get in Delaware City? I didn't know much was going on there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT