ADVERTISEMENT

Excessive Celebration

coach carrying his wrestler around the mat is an incentive to work harder to achieve that goal so one day they are the one carried around the mat

coach carrying his wrestler around the mat is an incentive to work harder to achieve that goal so one day they are the one carried around the mat
So where is the line drawn? Does a coach get to celebrate anyway he wants? Take a bow to all corners of the gym. There is an opponent that just lost that match as well, why should they have to watch that? Why can't a wrestler slam their headgear on the mat if they win a State title? I understand that it is not intended to show up the opponent, but it does. IMHO, it needs to stop. If not, let anyone that wins do what they want.

Wow this is STATE FINALS these kids deserve to be honored it's a huge thing winning a title it has nothing to do with taunting. It's a great feeling of accomplishment that is so very special guess u don't get it..

Reactions: wrestling123
I think the excitement for the individual accomplishment is alittle bigger than the team win. I personally dont have an issue with carrying a kid around the mat. For some it was their final match in front of the home crowd. Now Rashad Stratton did almost get run over by the coach carrying a wrestler. That could have been bad if they fell on him and an ankle was twisted or something. They just need to make sure that wrestlers for the next match are not out there to get in the way. Congrats to all of those young men. Congrats to the seniors who went out on top. And congrats to the couple upperclassmen on their big wins. What a great night of wrestling!

Wow this is STATE FINALS these kids deserve to be honored it's a huge thing winning a title it has nothing to do with taunting. It's a great feeling of accomplishment that is so very special guess u don't get it..
No, I do get it. But my question is, where is the line? What is too much? That is more my point.

shut up IKEY its individual state championships have nothing to do with team..any celebration is OK they are celebrating their hard work and it is in no way showing up the other.. The other would celebrate the same way if they won.. Go hug a tree lol

Last edited:
2786498571_cd6b6294d5_b.jpg

Come on man they just accomplished a goal some have set out to do since they probably started wrestling. It's okay to show some emotion it's the state finals man!!!!

Reactions: wrestling123
I'm cool with the celebrations. The kids deserve to celebrate. Howells act is just tired at this point. It was cool when it was spontaneous, now its old.

Might be old for you and your kid who has to watch other kids win (which is a shame) but it's probably never going to get old to the kids that Howell does it with

Reactions: 1st takedown
I think a more notable observation instead of the celebrations is in those past two days the amount of temper tantrums that were thrown after a loss. The refusal to shake hands, throwing the head gear and yelling at others and running out of the gym while running into spectators looks really bad. And I commend a few coaches that wouldn't tolerate it.

Reactions: Dahammer23
Sportsmanship is important and not taught enough today as it was in the past.. Welcome to the age of entitlement. "where's my trophy I am special"?

Reactions: wtc76
Are they supposed to shake hands and be done with it? These kids have dedicated thousands of hours to to wrestling, God forbid they show some excitement. If they were in kids faces after winning I'd understand but they got a lap around the mat. Since you had a problem with the Smyrna wrestlers did you have a problem with a Dover champ taking a lap around the mat with the flag???

Reactions: GateKeeperRefugee
Let's face it. There's going to be a winner and a loser and both sides have a responsibility to show some class. The finals match I get it. It's the last match of the season. The ultimate prize and for some their last career match. The celebrations were not taunting or belittling. On the flip side prior to the finals way too many tantrums. You have to learn to lose with some class too because life is going to knock you down many times over and you have to deal with it.

Can someone explain to me why team points can be deducted during a dual match for excessive celebration and yet DIAA allows a coach to carry a victorious wrestler around the entire mat ?

Good idea, losing a team point would have been disastrous:

Team Scores1.
A.I. Dupont 0.0
Appoquinimink 0.0
Archmere Academy 0.0
Brandywine 0.0
Caesar Rodney H S 0.0
Cape Henlopen H S 0.0
Caravel Academy 0.0
Charter School of Wilmington 0.0
Christiana H S 0.0
Concord H S 0.0
Conrad School Of Science 0.0
Delaware Military Academy 0.0
Delcastle H S 0.0
Delmar Junior-Senior H S 0.0
Dickinson 0.0
Dover 0.0
First State Military Academy 0.0
Glasgow H S 0.0
Hodgson Vo Tech School 0.0
Howard H S 0.0
Indian River H S 0.0
Lake Forest H S 0.0
Laurel H S 0.0
McKean H S 0.0
Middletown 0.0
Milford Senior 0.01
Mt Pleasant H S 0.0
Newark H S 0.0
Polytech 0.0
Salesianum 0.0
Sanford H S 0.0
Smyrna H S 0.0
St Andrews H S 0.0
St Marks H S 0.0
St. Georges Tech Hs 0.0
Sussex Central H S 0.0
Sussex Tech H S 0.0
Tatnall H S 0.0
Tower Hill Hs 0.0
William Penn H.S. 0.0
Wilmington Christian School 0.0
Wilmington Friends H S 0.0
Woodbridge H S 0.0

Are they supposed to shake hands and be done with it? These kids have dedicated thousands of hours to to wrestling, God forbid they show some excitement. If they were in kids faces after winning I'd understand but they got a lap around the mat. Since you had a problem with the Smyrna wrestlers did you have a problem with a Dover champ taking a lap around the mat with the flag???
As long as its a U.S. flag, I'm good with it!! Ooo Rah

I think a more notable observation instead of the celebrations is in those past two days the amount of temper tantrums that were thrown after a loss. The refusal to shake hands, throwing the head gear and yelling at others and running out of the gym while running into spectators looks really bad. And I commend a few coaches that wouldn't tolerate it.
Couldn't agree more! My kids will always shake the other coaches hand and then ours. I've seen some kids do it multiple times. It's disprectful to our sport, their coaches and the opponent. Take your loss like a man and with some class! I get it, you're disappointed, but it's no excuse. It only happens if the coaches allow it.

As for the coach carrying the kid around the mat, I'm fairly certain that former Smyrna coach Dulin started it and Coach Howell just carried on the tradition.

Couldn't agree more! My kids will always shake the other coaches hand and then ours. I've seen some kids do it multiple times. It's disprectful to our sport, their coaches and the opponent. Take your loss like a man and with some class! I get it, you're disappointed, but it's no excuse. It only happens if the coaches allow it.

As for the coach carrying the kid around the mat, I'm fairly certain that former Smyrna coach Dulin started it and Coach Howell just carried on the tradition.
Agreed. Could it have been Harry Blendt he did it with first?

True they all do it now.. Its a tradition now and a coach and wrestler celebrating all the hard work... Must suck for the coach if the 285 wins though lol

Well, I have had three boys circle the mat with Coach Howell and I look forward to a fourth. It's after the handshakes between wrestlers and wrestlers and coaches so I have not problem with the Smyrna tradition. I do take exception to the pulling on Jersey to show team name or any look at me gestures but I'm a gray hair so maybe that's just me. Nothing wrong with Dover flag lap...Especially a senior in his home gym. HATE the tantrum run out of the gym thingy. Oh, look how passionate I am about winning! It starts as little kids, goes unchecked, and gets silly in high school. Even the non running tantrums could have been nipped in the bud early in the wrestling career. Well, I'd rather see him freak out over a lost then not care... said by the nine year old throwing gears Dad. I don't like lung time outs and I don't like indicating injury when on back to avoid pins. Oh, I don't think that Dads, uncles, brother's, cousins, or other spectators should come on the mat to celebrate or anything else. Sets a very bad precedent, IMO.

Well, I have had three boys circle the mat with Coach Howell and I look forward to a fourth. It's after the handshakes between wrestlers and wrestlers and coaches so I have not problem with the Smyrna tradition. I do take exception to the pulling on Jersey to show team name or any look at me gestures but I'm a gray hair so maybe that's just me. Nothing wrong with Dover flag lap...Especially a senior in his home gym. HATE the tantrum run out of the gym thingy. Oh, look how passionate I am about winning! It starts as little kids, goes unchecked, and gets silly in high school. Even the non running tantrums could have been nipped in the bud early in the wrestling career. Well, I'd rather see him freak out over a lost then not care... said by the nine year old throwing gears Dad. I don't like lung time outs and I don't like indicating injury when on back to avoid pins.

That was a hard read.. What are you saying?

I saw nothing wrong with any of the celebrations. The Smyrna post win carry is tradition, I think most longtime DE wrestling fans appreciate it whether a Smyrna fan or not.

Now Rashad Stratton did almost get run over by the coach carrying a wrestler. That could have been bad if they fell on him and an ankle was twisted or something.

If anyone here is Facebook friends with the Cape Gazette's Dave Frederick, he has a great photo of Stratton's panic dodge to avoid this.

I don't know how anybody defines an excessive celebration. Some of the things I see I don't like and some of the things I see don't bother me. I'm a long time wrestling fan that is raising a baseball player. I tell my son that when your shaking anybodys hand it's eye contact and a firm grip. No exceptions. Win or lose, you be respectful. No slapping hands in haste just to run away and hide. He is 12 and developing him into a respectful young man has already started........What does bother me is the coaches that can't handle a call. They jump up and down and scream when they don't like a call. No names mentioned. Learn from the seasoned coaches. Shultie and Kurt Howell simply walk over to the table or referee and state their case. Also the reactions of some wrestlers that lost and show poor sportmanship. Don't slap hands on the other coaches and run. Shake their hands and run/walk off. Don't throw anything. What does that prove? As for celebrations, nothing better than a few tears between wrestler and his family. We are all human and we all understand how much goes into this sport. It's nice to see true emotion take over.

Reactions: youjustme and wtc76
So where is the line drawn? Does a coach get to celebrate anyway he wants? Take a bow to all corners of the gym. There is an opponent that just lost that match as well, why should they have to watch that? Why can't a wrestler slam their headgear on the mat if they win a State title? I understand that it is not intended to show up the opponent, but it does. IMHO, it needs to stop. If not, let anyone that wins do what they want.
I lost in the state finals last year and I didn't care what the winner did cause he won fair and square he has the right to celebrate to an extent but coach carrying a wrestler around the mat is not excessive

My point is, that one mans celebration can be another mans taunt. Carrying a wrestler around the mat doesn't bother me. However, my question was and still is, how do you draw a line between what is allowed and what isn't? I honestly don't know, is there a rule that discusses this?

Let them celebrate they deserve it, however when the caravel wrestler won and im assuming his dad ran out of the bleachers onto the mat and picked him up i thought that was a little excessive. But I mean these wrestlers work so hard for those moments.

Let them celebrate they deserve it, however when the caravel wrestler won and im assuming his dad ran out of the bleachers onto the mat and picked him up i thought that was a little excessive. But I mean these wrestlers work so hard for those moments.
But this is exactly my point. There had to be more than one person that took exception to the celebration by the Caravel wrestler. I was right there sitting in the section where the family was, it was all genuine and honest. I had no problem with it, but others did. If you allow a coach to carry his wrestler around the mat, why not his father? I can assure you the father has a much greater emotional investment, than any coach would ever have.

Well, I have had three boys circle the mat with Coach Howell and I look forward to a fourth. It's after the handshakes between wrestlers and wrestlers and coaches so I have not problem with the Smyrna tradition. I do take exception to the pulling on Jersey to show team name or any look at me gestures but I'm a gray hair so maybe that's just me. Nothing wrong with Dover flag lap...Especially a senior in his home gym. HATE the tantrum run out of the gym thingy. Oh, look how passionate I am about winning! It starts as little kids, goes unchecked, and gets silly in high school. Even the non running tantrums could have been nipped in the bud early in the wrestling career. Well, I'd rather see him freak out over a lost then not care... said by the nine year old throwing gears Dad. I don't like lung time outs and I don't like indicating injury when on back to avoid pins. Oh, I don't think that Dads, uncles, brother's, cousins, or other spectators should come on the mat to celebrate or anything else. Sets a very bad precedent, IMO.

You don't have a problem with a coach running around the mat, although he's a grown man... But you have a problem with a kid tugging on his singlet! Come on man!!

Smyrna has been carrying their State Champs around the mat since at least back to the 80's when Mike Dulin was the head coach. TRADITION

You don't have a problem with a coach running around the mat, although he's a grown man... But you have a problem with a kid tugging on his singlet! Come on man!!
Celebrating your wrestler and carrying him around the mat is different than the wrestler acting like someone he saw in the NBA because he thinks self promotion is what winners do. Same with the defensive tackle who gets up after a sack and beats on his chest for ten yards behind the play to make sure everyone knows that it was HIM. Be original and genuine. Things like that irk me. But so does someone driving a Mustang or Jaguar and having Mustang or Jaguar as their vanity plates. Maybe I'm just weird like that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT