ADVERTISEMENT

Excessive Celebration

Celebrating your wrestler and carrying him around the mat is different than the wrestler acting like someone he saw in the NBA because he thinks self promotion is what winners do. Same with the defensive tackle who gets up after a sack and beats on his chest for ten yards behind the play to make sure everyone knows that it was HIM. Be original and genuine. Things like that irk me. But so does someone driving a Mustang or Jaguar and having Mustang or Jaguar as their vanity plates. Maybe I'm just weird like that.

Sorry, running around the mat with ur wrestler is not original! Nothing wrong with beating your chest if you've built that "chest" up(see what I did there) as long as your not trying to show up your opponent by doing it in their face. That wrestler has obviously worked for it.

Might be old for you and your kid who has to watch other kids win (which is a shame) but it's probably never going to get old to the kids that Howell does it with

There's 7 year olds that hope one day Coach Howell will run them around the mat in triumph!!!!!!! So yes go hug a tree .... haters gonna hate hate hate!!!

Celebrations after wins and signs of disapproval after losses are all normal . If someone gets offended by either then it is excessive to that person. Class acts will do the excessive celebrating or crying out of sight of the public .

Last edited:
There's 7 year olds that hope one day Coach Howell will run them around the mat in triumph!!!!!!! So yes go hug a tree .... haters gonna hate hate hate!!!

I highly doubt many people on this thread are tree huggers/democrats. On the whole democrats are better educated and not nearly as fat/sloppy so I would guess they are doing stimulating things (mentally or physically) and not staying tuned to DEPreps.

Just saying. I'm a republican but I gotta speak the truth since the "tree hugger" zing is popular on here.

I highly doubt many people on this thread are tree huggers/democrats. On the whole democrats are better educated and not nearly as fat/sloppy so I would guess they are doing stimulating things (mentally or physically) and not staying tuned to DEPreps.

Just saying. I'm a republican but I gotta speak the truth since the "tree hugger" zing is popular on here.

"Hug a tree", really! No my 7 year old is not going Howell runs him around! I'm actually not going to change districts and everything else involved, state champs don't just come from the school of Howell! To be honest, those kids are formed way before that! By the way I am a proud Democrat. I don't know why I come to listen to some of y'all, other than I love wrestling.

There are also 7 years olds that want to act like Dez Bryant after he scores a touchdown. Still doesn't make it acceptable. It's rubbing a win in the opponents face. If my coach grabbed a kid after a dual meet win and ran him around the circle it would be an unsportsmanlike. These Delaware officials are scared to call it on Smyrna. It's played out just like someone else said. Maybe when it was spur of the moment it was nice. Now it's a pre planned celebration that should be penalized.

I think it's kinda funny how people are complaining about excessive celebration after a kid wins a state championship while on mat . In every other sport after one team or person wins a championship they celebrate on field or stadium where the won their championship, but when a kid bust his tail all season long and wins the biggest title an individual can win he's supposed to walk off and celebrate somewhere other then where he won his title . Crazy . Doesn't sound like any one kid celebrating dissrespected anyone other then the people in the crowd . Jmo.

There are also 7 years olds that want to act like Dez Bryant after he scores a touchdown. Still doesn't make it acceptable. It's rubbing a win in the opponents face. If my coach grabbed a kid after a dual meet win and ran him around the circle it would be an unsportsmanlike. These Delaware officials are scared to call it on Smyrna. It's played out just like someone else said. Maybe when it was spur of the moment it was nice. Now it's a pre planned celebration that should be penalized.

Penalized how so? It's the individual meet and all the duals are over. Are you going to penalize them for the 2018 season?

If your kid was good enough to get a Howell ride you'd be loving it. But he's not. Bad genes.

The 120 finals match- I'm assuming we are all talking about, right? I wasn't even focused on the celebration, I was actually looking for the ultimate meltdown which I figured was coming.. After seeing the semi-finals match where he was taunting the CR coach, I can't say I was too upset about seeing Natarcola win that match.. Now, I will say I was tickled to see how Dean reacted after winning..cool, calm and collected- as if he knew he'd win the whole thing.. Congrats to all the champs, and to the runner-ups who worked just as hard to get there.. for those sour about losing- don't worry, I'm sure your school will have a "safe-place" for you to go.

I think its safe to say a very large amount of fans were rooting for Natarcola even though they were not Smynra fans. The taunting in the semi finals was disgusting. If those boys wrestled 100 times, Hayes wins 95 of them. The best can get caught from time to time and thats what happened. Another cape wrestler told the opposing coach at conferences "ill see you at states" after taking the 3rd loss of the season to a certain wrestler. Some of these young men are too focused on the wrong things. They need to just focus on wrestling the opponent in front of them. Focus on scoring and wrestling well. Not trying to show off for mom and dad or the fans. Just go out and do what you have been trained to do. As far as Dean goes, he did what he was trained to do. He believed in himself and his coaches. He trusted the process. He went out and did his job which was to wrestle well. When the job was done he walked off the mat. True proffesional. I do have to say this was one of the most competitive state tournaments that i have seen as of late. There were several weight classes that any of the semi finalists could have pulled off a big win. Congrats to all that wrestled.

Felt bad for the Caruso kid he acted like a dickhead in his Semi Finals match but he took 10 shots vs 0. I was surprised there was no stalling calls assessed to the other side.
In the finals that was

Last edited:
As long as the kids are celebrating and not demeaning the opponent in any way I don't see an issue. Fisher from Dover had every right to celebrate with the Dover flag in his home gym being the 1st winner from Dover in over 10 years. Great achievement by a great kid. Watch any professional sport, the winner of the finals just celebrate they don't go shake hands or do anything. Yeah sportsmanship comes first but put yourself in their shoes. Winning a state title 15-18 years old, that's a lot of emotion and excitement. Those coaches are some of those kids inspirations.

As long as the kids are celebrating and not demeaning the opponent in any way I don't see an issue. Fisher from Dover had every right to celebrate with the Dover flag in his home gym being the 1st winner from Dover in over 10 years. Great achievement by a great kid. Watch any professional sport, the winner of the finals just celebrate they don't go shake hands or do anything. Yeah sportsmanship comes first but put yourself in their shoes. Winning a state title 15-18 years old, that's a lot of emotion and excitement. Those coaches are some of those kids inspirations.
Exactly, Not to mention this is something most of these kids have been working for since they were four years old.. all the years of busting their ass, cutting weight..the ups, the downs...this is their ultimate reward for that work. Let them have their moment- they earned it.

I don't think any of it was excessive or taunting. I love the pure joy the boys show in the win! Loved Fisher with the flag. I just think the Howell carry around is premeditated and played out.

Reactions: Dahammer23
Carrying a champion around the mat is something that has been a Smyrna tradition for years. It wasn’t something I was fond of just because I’m not from Smyrna and jealousy kicks in. As far as I am concerned, this tradition is carried out after the opponent has shaken hands and has left the mat so it is not taunting or disrespectful. However, I do remember years ago listening to Dan Gable speak. He said the best way to get in your opponent’s head after a match is to simply shake and hands and walk off the mat like it was no big deal. He said to make them think that you knew all along you were going to win and fully expected it so there is no reason to celebrate. I think back to some of my favorite football players like Walter Payton and that was how they handled things. They didn’t let emotions take over. I have a much bigger issue with the wrestlers who refuse to shake hands (a total disrespect to the opponent, referee, and sport), pull away from and/or push into their coaches, throw head gears, taught the opposing coaches when they have their wrestlers on their back, throw head gear, etc. (all things I saw this weekend). I feel that behavior needs to be dealt with more than celebrating a win.

Carrying a champion around the mat is something that has been a Smyrna tradition for years. It wasn’t something I was fond of just because I’m not from Smyrna and jealousy kicks in. As far as I am concerned, this tradition is carried out after the opponent has shaken hands and has left the mat so it is not taunting or disrespectful. However, I do remember years ago listening to Dan Gable speak. He said the best way to get in your opponent’s head after a match is to simply shake and hands and walk off the mat like it was no big deal. He said to make them think that you knew all along you were going to win and fully expected it so there is no reason to celebrate. I think back to some of my favorite football players like Walter Payton and that was how they handled things. They didn’t let emotions take over. I have a much bigger issue with the wrestlers who refuse to shake hands (a total disrespect to the opponent, referee, and sport), pull away from and/or push into their coaches, throw head gears, taught the opposing coaches when they have their wrestlers on their back, throw head gear, etc. (all things I saw this weekend). I feel that behavior needs to be dealt with more than celebrating a win.
agreed..and it's been going on all season.. one team (Really just one kid) in particular needs to address it more so than others IMO

I 100% agree with the one you are referring to but he is not alone on that team. There is one or two more that have issues as well.
You're right about that. How about the one who face rakes, twists ankles, eye gouges, and is unecessarily rough when he's losing- has received numerous unsportsmanlike conduct calls against him. Doesn't change anything. I think HammersWrestling's suggestion above is excellent.

Reactions: MatMiracle
You're right about that. How about the one who face rakes, twists ankles, eye gouges, and is unecessarily rough when he's losing- has received numerous unsportsmanlike conduct calls against him. Doesn't change anything. I think HammersWrestling's suggestion above is excellent.
I also agree with hammers and they should keep track of which schools have repeat offenders and punish the coaching staff as well for not addressing the issue .

Here is all I will say about kids that act like jerks on the mat...and yes there are some that do! They only act how their coaches and in some respect, how their parents, allow them to act! If I did some of the things I saw some kids do the last two weekends when I was a kid, my coach would have killed me (thanks coach K) and my dad would have kicked my ass!

Reactions: MatMiracle
Felt bad for the Caruso kid he acted like a dickhead in his Semi Finals match but he took 10 shots vs 0. I was surprised there was no stalling calls assessed to the other side.
In the finals that was
Felt bad did u see how he behaved in semi final? It not ok..... Complaining about not being called for stalling? Really???? Champions don't make excuses ... IMO

Here is all I will say about kids that act like jerks on the mat...and yes there are some that do! They only act how their coaches and in some respect, how their parents, allow them to act! If I did some of the things I saw some kids do the last two weekends when I was a kid, my coach would have killed me (thanks coach K) and my dad would have kicked my ass!
AMEN !!!!!!!

Reactions: concord87
Felt bad did u see how he behaved in semi final? It not ok..... Complaining about not being called for stalling? Really???? Champions don't make excuses ... IMO
That semi final match is on youtube now. Take a look at it. The stare down/smile of the CR coaches is unreal. Zero respect in sport that demands respect.

Reactions: concord87
That semi final match is on youtube now. Take a look at it. The stare down/smile of the CR coaches is unreal. Zero respect in sport that demands respect.
yes it is.. I thought Hayes handled himself really well after the match.. not sure why he felt the need to taunt the opposing coaches but it was pretty obvious that's what he was doing.. My father would have given me the beat down of the tournament if I acted that way..most likely right there for the whole gym to see..

Look at what the superintendent of A.I is doing right now.. that's a class act, taking a stand like that and canceling the remainder of the season sends a message to the rest of the district that those kinds of issues will not be tolerated.. a couple of these teams could learn a lesson from that..but as mentioned before- the kid is not only to blame, The parents and more importantly-the coaches.

And what did the coaches do after he stared them down. Nothing gave him a big hug and said good job shame all coaches don't react like AI coach did

Reactions: 1st takedown
I was wondering why people were booing during the parade of champions. Shame to see, just hope he learns his lesson and becomes a better person for it.

Very well said.

Look at what the superintendent of A.I is doing right now.. that's a class act, taking a stand like that and canceling the remainder of the season sends a message to the rest of the district that those kinds of issues will not be tolerated.. a couple of these teams could learn a lesson from that..but as mentioned before- the kid is not only to blame, The parents and more importantly-the coaches.
I don't agree with that. You have seniors who have worked hard that's getting punished for other people's actions!

My father would have given me the beat down of the tournament if I acted that way..most likely right there for the whole gym to see..

That's one way for a father to react. Another might be to pay a bunch of money for a personal live-in coach... In all seriousness, when I heard about all of this it wasn't at all shocking. The kid has been running his mouth to Cam all season. You'd think an adult would put a stop to it, but...

I don't agree with that. You have seniors who have worked hard that's getting punished for other people's actions!
If you read the different articles, particularly the letter to the editor from someone on the inside- they claim that the incidents the led to the decision was not actually what happened at the game and had nothing to do with DMA..They claimed there was a bigger issue at play that happened later, but wouldn't disclose what it was..whatever the case may be, it was bad enough to cause him to make that decision BUT that's life..lesson learned.. I'm sure they'll still get participation certificates though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT