ADVERTISEMENT

First Round Thoughts

GateKeeperRefugee

All-State
Jan 3, 2013
Had fun doing this last year, so why not again this year? Here are my insights to the first round of play and predictions to go along with it

9 Sussex Tech vs. 24 Laurel - The Ravens got missed out on a bye thanks to some unique schedules being rewarded by the points system, but Sussex Tech has a team that can go to the Final Four. Should start off with a win over Laurel, who has a great scorer in Logan Handy...and not much else. 60-24 Tech.

10 Padua vs. 23 Concord (game to be played at AI duPont) - rematch of a couple of teams that played just over two weeks ago, with the resurgent Pandas winning by double digits. Padua's paced by two seniors (Bella Julian and Camryn Scully), and their younguns can greatly benefit from the experience. Zhan'e Snow is first team all-state caliber, but not having a supporting cast hurts her chances. She should still make this an interesting game by herself. I'll take Padua 51-45.

11 St. Georges vs. 22 Sussex Central - the young Hawks who feature just two seniors will likely be a forced to be reckoned with in the future, but Ron Dukes has been here many times before with Sussex Central, so they'll be ready to play. Not sure I want to call this an upset, but I think Central's experience wins out. It'll be close, but give me Central 45-42.

12 Newark Charter vs. 21 St. Mark's - Newark Charter has talent in the Karr sisters, but Emily Ansah hasn't played in 5 games, if she can't play Wednesday, that's a big loss scoring wise against a stingy St. Mark's defense. Can St. Mark's outscore the Patriots though? Can't see it. 46-32 Newark Charter

13 Archmere vs. 20 Dickinson - Dan Pisani is one of the best coaches in the state and this Archmere team is much better than their 12-8 record suggests. Dickinson has Mimi Brown who can fill it up, but Pisani likely has a plan for her. Archmere is my sleeper pick for the final four. I'll take the Auks 56-36

14 Tatnall vs. 19 Appo - Appo has had a real tough schedule this year and with Shania Davis leading the way, Tatnall has to have big games from top guns Kennedy Brown and Shelby Bailey-Smiley. Gut says the bus ride will be tough for Appo, so I'll take Tatnall 51-46

15 Wilmington Christian vs. 18 CR - CR was my Final Four darkhorse before the season began and I still think they can do some damage in this tournament. Wilmington Christian is a great story, improving from 5 to 14 wins this season, but CR's got the talent and experience to go far. Riders win 61-37.

16 Woodbridge vs. 17 Delmarva Christian - the winner gets Caravel so they better enjoy it now. Woodbridge blasted Delmarva Christian 4 weeks ago, so they have the head to head advantage, but as we know, the tournament is a different ballgame. Still, I'll take Woodbridge 57-23.

What say you all about the 1st round?

I don’t know most of the non-top 15 teams, but I think WCS vs CR is a CR win, just closer than you expect. WCS improves a lot over the season- first game against Tower Hill won by 2, second by 27. First game against Friends won by 3, second game won by 20. First game against Tatnall lost by 18, second game against Tatnall led after three quarters before losing by 8. Don’t know CR well but Sanford is really the only team that blew out WCS.

Thanks for all your thoughts!

Reactions: 84rider
Well it looks like I'll have to redo this because late last night, Dickinson reported an ineligible player and that changed the entire first round. Unbelievable.

the information i just got is that They found out that one of there players Skipped school on 4 separate occasions on game days and still played in the game. So DIAA has given them 2 losses and has changed the brackets for the girls division. not sure if she will still be able to play for the game. I believe DIAA is checking into this.
Not sure how much the coach knew, or why this is coming out at this moment.

I'm skipping to round two. Did Cooney have an epiphany prior to the Padua game, or did he read our posts. St. E's came out with a new look, McCarron at the Point (Point-forward ala Lebron or Simmons) and Fatty at the 2. What a game changer. McCarron controlled the game on offense, scoring 21, with a good bit of assists and rebounds. Mayo worked better off the pass than bringing the ball up, so good move. If this set-up remains, I see the 3 main players from St. E's dominating in 2nd Round. Henry and Hines will supplement well. Quarter finals look to be interesting.

Updated first round:

#16 St. George vs #17 Woodbridge
# 9 Sussex Tech vs #24 Laurel
#13Tatnall vs #20 St. Mark’s
#12 Newark Charter vs #21 Sussex Central
#15 Delmarva Christian vs #18 Caesar Rodney
#10 Padua vs #23 Dickinson
#14 Wilmington Christian vs #19 Appoquinimink
#11 Archmere vs #22 Concord

St. Georges has an easier out vs Woodbridge I think this is the only change from ur original prediction. Also, by putting Archmere in the lower half of the bracket IDK if they make past the second round.

Last edited:
DIAA's already updated them on their site - only one still the same is the 9-24 game, Sussex Tech vs. Laurel.
The rest are like this:

10 Padua vs. 23 Dickinson
11 Archmere vs. 22 Concord
12 Newark Charter vs. 21 Sussex Central
13 Tatnall vs. 20 St. Mark's
14 Wilmington Christian vs. 19 Appo
15 Delmarva Christian vs. 18 CR
16 St. Georges vs. 17 Woodbridge

Woodbridge really got the raw end of the deal because they lost a home game behind this.

I’m sure several teams are steamed about the shake up with this Dickinson drama & some teams are happy. I’m just finding out the joker who is the coach is also the Athletic Director that caused this mess.

Miscommunication maybe, mistakes have consequences. Sometimes people have a heavy load. I don’t think there was malicious intent, at least I hope there wasn’t

Accountability. Dickinson ONLY has 9 players on there varsity roster & no JV. How hard should it be to monitor 9 players. If it’s a heavy load then he needs to be replaced. Not very hard to check on grades and attendance of players. Player should be held accountable as well and hopefully Dickinson & there administors use this as a teaching moment and don’t drop the ball.

Honestly. Everybody can get on here and say what they would do if it was them. But when your in that situation people's mindset seems to change. Sometimes our star players get special treatment when the school hasn't seen the play offs in 20 years. its not right. but from what i heard they made the call to make the correction on the situation which is a plus in itself.. its still not right. but I'm sure this is used as teachable moment for the school staff, student, team, and administration.

Agreed, but I can tell you Dickinson's going to have a hard time scheduling teams going forward, because nobody's going to want to deal with the mess. And that's exactly what this situation is/has caused.

Social Media is a great source of info, but you have to sift through the truths and non-truths. But overhearing players and students talking, priceless source of intel.

Wow, just heard from the locker room that an Assistant Coach made the comment to the other players if they didn't have Fatty they wouldn't have a team. Nice going. Remember last year in playoffs at the Bob when BS in the locker room caused a near brawl. Self-destruction at its finest compliments of the assistant coaching staff. So, when is St. E's ever going to hire real assistant coaches? Not since Ferrier and Cooney have they had a Coaching Staff. Watch a St. E's game, the assistant coaches remind me of the Cheer Team or Spirit Squad, not a productive coaching staff. Harsh, you bet. Hopefully, the players will unite and play St. E's Team Ball, rather than, "I'm going to get my points."

Well it wasn't the assistant coach that said that. it was the head coach. Sometimes on the outside looking in we think certain coaches are great but if get a chance to talk to the players you hear differently. and not just certain players, all of them. i hope they play well as well

Mr. Mason you might want to lay off the social media yourself, only spreading the fire. Remember your beloved Cooney hired his assistant so in fact you are talking ill on him.

I do apologize. I got caught up in something I didn't want to hear. And, I remember what happened last year. Its still high school aged kids and they all get emotional. They don't need me to get emotional, too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT