ADVERTISEMENT

FNL Week 2 Scores

I am still baffled by the STM RC on WB.. just cant wrap my head around it.. DID STM have a crapload of transfers come in we are not aware of or is WB just in complete disarray and coach lost this team already?
Woodbridge is not a good team this year. They lost a lot from last year and Dooley isn’t turning that team around.

Reactions: BackinBlack86
This is a perfect example of why the reclass review every two years is going to be problematic. There’s a potential for a lot of yo-yo’ing of teams every cycle.
right and in either direction. Laurel will beat up on all the cupcakes this year and then get moved up next year having lost a lot of players and get stomped. It just hasn't fixed anything it was designed to fix. There are still a lot of running clocks, still 8 TD differences, it's just going to happen.

Reactions: Huskerman7
This is a perfect example of why the reclass review every two years is going to be problematic. There’s a potential for a lot of yo-yo’ing of teams every cycle.
Yea but they’re still good enough to compete. St. Marks is likely competing for a state title so no Woodbridge is not competiting with them. I could still see it being good games with Delmar, Milford, RLCA, Lake, and I know they’re better than the likes of Newark, Delcastle, Brandywine, Concord, Mt. Pleasant, etc. I get it, the system will never be perfect but my biggest issue has always been Laurel in 1A. A program that always competed when it was D2. They weren’t always at the top but they weren’t Seaford level. Caesar Rodney has no business being as bad as they are with the amount of kids they have in that district. They’re coaching is clearly the issue.

Last edited:

With the current wishy wash DIAA yeah.. I like the new set up a lot but coaches and programs should have no input. They are always going to say but we are losing these kids or this or that. The problem is classification can only be based on history and not projection. Enrollment number and even more so football numbers is one way to identify who may be able to compete at a certain level. The other is recruiting but we aren't ready to cross that bridge yet.

There needs to be set formula and everyone will have to live with their placement. Lobbying every two years is just crazy. MIAA in Maryland has been doing this set up for awhile with their A B and C conferences only every sport is independent. Like you can be A in Lax but B in football etc.. but they have an issue with getting football teams to move from B to A. Every time a B team goes on a run for a few years whether that be Curley. St Marys, Boy Latin Pallotti whomever they refuse to go to A then of course they have a couple not so good season and it justifies them not going up.. But thats the ebbs and flows of HS football you will have good years and bad years...

There is no fix or anyway to predict the future. SO no perfect system. You just have to have a set formula and stick with that..no debate , no lobbying.. or we can just go back to enrollment like everyone else. Which would suck because there is great potential in the performance/enrollment set up.

I think having all of your kids as the assistant coaches - makes it difficult on the other coaches.

200.gif

In this data driven world I'd really like to see the break down on whether or not having 3 divisions improved the data they originally set out to improve. I don't think Delaware needed 3 and I don't think it improved anything unless you're in the Laurel district.

In this data driven world I'd really like to see the break down on whether or not having 3 divisions improved the data they originally set out to improve. I don't think Delaware needed 3 and I don't think it improved anything unless you're in the Laurel district.
I would like to see Week 0 games replaced by rivalry weekend….let the St Marks and Sallies play….Yes Sallies will prob dominate most years but so what it’s still fun….nobody complains about one sided when it comes to Middletown- Smyrna….I could be wrong but I don’t think Smyrna has ever won the harvest bowl based off of the coaches comments with Glenn Frazier….Conrad/DMA even if DMA moves up…and I’m sure you guys can name way more then me.

It has improved some. I am fine with 3 classes as there are clearly at least 3 levels of play in DE if not 4 or 5.. but lets stick with 3 and come up with a formula to determine those levels and get the right programs where they belong. We knew the first run was going to be a learning experience and the next two years with the proposed and approved changes will render what it does and then we have to take all that info and develop a formula that will work and makes sense.. it can be done

Reactions: Woody_Wood
With the current wishy wash DIAA yeah.. I like the new set up a lot but coaches and programs should have no input. They are always going to say but we are losing these kids or this or that. The problem is classification can only be based on history and not projection. Enrollment number and even more so football numbers is one way to identify who may be able to compete at a certain level. The other is recruiting but we aren't ready to cross that bridge yet.

There needs to be set formula and everyone will have to live with their placement. Lobbying every two years is just crazy. MIAA in Maryland has been doing this set up for awhile with their A B and C conferences only every sport is independent. Like you can be A in Lax but B in football etc.. but they have an issue with getting football teams to move from B to A. Every time a B team goes on a run for a few years whether that be Curley. St Marys, Boy Latin Pallotti whomever they refuse to go to A then of course they have a couple not so good season and it justifies them not going up.. But thats the ebbs and flows of HS football you will have good years and bad years...

There is no fix or anyway to predict the future. SO no perfect system. You just have to have a set formula and stick with that..no debate , no lobbying.. or we can just go back to enrollment like everyone else. Which would suck because there is great potential in the performance/enrollment set up.
You hit it right on the nose Bib. You have to have a concrete formula and stick with it. If you give schools the option of flexibility they will often be selfish and make arguments why they can't move up. Howard is the prefect example. Last year they had a "down year", even though they still made the playoffs. This year, so far, they are obliterating teams. They have a good chance at winning it all in 2A. So does one possible down year mean you should stay down? Of course not. Every team will have a down year. That's life. If you have a team that has been playing well over the last few years they should go up. No discussion. You can't, in good conscious argue the enrollment size is too small. If you have the talent move up and challenge the boys to compete against the best instead of beating up on the little guys like a bully.

Saint Frances Academy has 200 students. If they were in Delaware should they be in the lowest division? Of course not. So stop with the crap about the school only has so many boys.

The system isn't prefect. No system is. But if we kept the old system many schools in 1A would eventually be in the same situation as AI was this year, after proactively requesting to move down.

Have some compassion for the kids. Stop wanting to have your school run through the weaker schools just so you can poke your chest out!

The divisions did help even the competitive balance for the teams on the lower half of each division. For an example, with Flight A , at one time delcastle and Charter had absolutely no chance of competing in any conference game they played except the one with each other. Now although each class may have at least four teams that are better than the others, it lets the other teams play games that matter and winnable. That Trophy at Laurel looks good in the trophy case , and the kids can say they champions .

One would think striving to be moved up to the next level would be a goal and a something to be proud of. Conversely one would think being put down to the lower level would be an embarrassment.. That's just me I guess.. I have to think St Mark's is embarrassed being put in D2 and is doing what they can to get back to what they were and renew that old Sallies vs St Marks rivalry.. I happen to think they will.. My bold prediction is St Marks goes up to C3A and not DMA

I am just saying if I am a coach taking over say a 1A program one of my goals aside from winning states would be to get my program to 2A.

One would think striving to be moved up to the next level would be a goal and a something to be proud of. Conversely one would think being put down to the lower level would be an embarrassment.. That's just me I guess.. I have to think St Mark's is embarrassed being put in D2 and is doing what they can to get back to what they were and renew that old Sallies vs St Marks rivalry.. I happen to think they will.. My bold prediction is St Marks goes up to C3A and not DMA

I am just saying if I am a coach taking over say a 1A program one of my goals aside from winning states would be to get my program to 2A.
I think they should but I doubt that they will. Last year they finished a mediocre 7-3, which landed them in the lower half of seeding for the playoffs. It was also the first time they were in the playoffs in 5 + years? And they got smoked! Based on looking back at records from recent years it should be Howard or Archmere. But based on the current proposal none of the three will be forced to go up. And you can bet all three schools will have someone obnoxiously arguing why they shouldn't move up.

I think they should but I doubt that they will. Last year they finished a mediocre 7-3, which landed them in the lower half of seeding for the playoffs. It was also the first time they were in the playoffs in 5 + years? And they got smoked! Based on looking back at records from recent years it should be Howard or Archmere. But based on the current proposal none of the three will be forced to go up. And you can bet all three schools will have someone obnoxiously arguing why they shouldn't move up.
St Marks may be in the upper half of enrollment and if they run out this year they may be the one forced up.. Howard is close on enrollment also .. will have to see what the 2022 enrollment numbers are and how the in class winning % stack up

I thought when St Marks moved down they would dominate. They haven't. Not even close. The enrollment numbers have gone up but I think they are placed exactly where they should be. Moving up for them would be a mistake. They barely beat a decent Appo team in the first game. I think the Spartans are good but they have wins over a young Red Lion team and what looks to be a bad Woodbridge team. Let's see how they do Vs Archmere, DMA etc...

I thought when St Marks moved down they would dominate. They haven't. Not even close. The enrollment numbers have gone up but I think they are placed exactly where they should be. Moving up for them would be a mistake. They barely beat a decent Appo team in the first game. I think the Spartans are good but they have wins over a young Red Lion team and what looks to be a bad Woodbridge team. Let's see how they do Vs Archmere, DMA etc...
mistake why? They beat an average 3A team. Clearly they can compete in 3A. Now if we are talking winning a championship then no but that is not what should decide classification. Only 1 team can win it each year and that is usually a special team. Goin to 3A will also help them get some of the ballers that are going to Sallies because they want to play in the top division...

If you can't win a championship then why move up if you don't have to? So they should move up to be cannon fodder for the big schools? The enrollment is up but still nowhere near where it used to be. People think of st marks and think of years ago. The school is completely different now.

They (St Marks) can't compete with Smyrna, MT, Sallies, Etc.....maybe this year.

They can compete with Archmere (lost by 40 in playoffs) , DMA, Caravel.

Reactions: DelaNewb
If you can't win a championship then why move up if you don't have to? So they should move up to be cannon fodder for the big schools? The enrollment is up but still nowhere near where it used to be. People think of st marks and think of years ago. The school is completely different now.

They (St Marks) can't compete with Smyrna, MT, Sallies, Etc.....maybe this year.

They can compete with Archmere (lost by 40 in playoffs) , DMA, Caravel.
well then lets just make Smyrna and MT their own classification and they can play each other 10 times. Being able to win a championship should not be a determining factor to what class you belong in.. If that is the case we will need to go to 8 to 10 classes.. just saying if you can go ,500 in a class then you are where you belong. You get a special squad roll through from time to time and you make a run. That's HS football to me

Last edited:
Being able to compete should be a factor. Somebody said St marks should "choose" to move up. I disagree. They lost by 40 last year in 2A playoffs and they should decide to move up. That's crazy. Sure I miss the sallies rivalry but it's not a rivalry when the game is over at halftime. If they are forced to move up then I say fine.

Regarding CR and Hodgson . I have no idea. Hodgson was undefeated state champs in '19. CR no clue.

Being able to compete should be a factor. Somebody said St marks should "choose" to move up. I disagree. They lost by 40 last year in 2A playoffs and they should decide to move up. That's crazy. Sure I miss the sallies rivalry but it's not a rivalry when the game is over at halftime. If they are forced to move up then I say fine.

Regarding CR and Hodgson . I have no idea. Hodgson was undefeated state champs in '19. CR no clue.
Thats last year.. This years squad is a different animal.. I put a lot of credence in what they did this week. Going through having top players get suspended and going down south and doing what they did to WB.. I don't care if WB is down or not that tells me something about their program right now. I think they will run the table this year. They blew RL off the field and RL just beat Delmar If they get beat then I will eat my words and move to the next man up lol

All what I am saying is on the premise StM runs through 2A this year. If that doesnt happen then well.. Howard comes under the scope gain lol

Hell DMA might just be crazy enough to follow through with wanting to go to 3A and all this is moot

Last edited:
WB looks pretty bad this year though

St marks has a chance to go undefeated with only Archmere and DMA in their way until the playoffs.

In my opinion the set up of 2A is the biggest issue. Too many teams and some really bad ones as well.

St marks should be playing Caravel, Friends, Howard instead of AI (cancelled), Mckean, Conrad etc...

You could make a really competitive division in 2A if you move some teams around.

WB looks pretty bad this year though

St marks has a chance to go undefeated with only Archmere and DMA in their way until the playoffs.

In my opinion the set up of 2A is the biggest issue. Too many teams and some really bad ones as well.

St marks should be playing Caravel, Friends, Howard instead of AI (cancelled), Mckean, Conrad etc...

You could make a really competitive division in 2A if you move some teams around.
The issue is you really need 12 teams in 3A... Hell I think 14.. We had 18 in D1 before..12 is reasonable though.. and they are going down from 21 to 18 in 2A

It has been approved that 1 2A team will be going to 3A and 2 2A teams will be going to 1A...

Laurel will be going up so 3 2A teams will be going down. RLCA and CA will be redistricted up north

Last edited:
Thats last year.. This years squad is a different animal.. I put a lot of credence in what they did this week. Going through having top players get suspended and going down south and doing what they did to WB.. I don't care if WB is down or not that tells me something about their program right now. I think they will run the table this year. They blew RL off the field and RL just beat Delmar If they get beat then I will eat my words and move to the next man up lol

All what I am saying is on the premise StM runs through 2A this year. If that doesnt happen then well.. Howard comes under the scope gain lol

Hell DMA might just be crazy enough to follow through with wanting to go to 3A and all this is mute
Whoa Bib!! Your being a little premature to say they will run the table. Archmere is the defending champion that hasn't lost that much talent from last year. And they do have the state's best player. They put up 42 in the first half last week, albeit to Tatnall. Let's see what St Mark's does when they play in a few weeks.

Whoa Bib!! Your being a little premature to say they will run the table. Archmere is the defending champion that hasn't lost that much talent from last year. And they do have the state's best player. They put up 42 in the first half last week, albeit to Tatnall. Let's see what St Mark's does when they play in a few weeks.
Will be one of the best games of the year IMO

Couple of minor points for those that do not remember. ST. Marks lost 10-7 @ the Penguins place, while getting stopped at the `1 yard line as time expired. Also, had numerous players out toward the back end of the year. Just giving some background. Majority, major majority of players back (DMA lost 13 starters all seniors as a point of reference). Time, growth, effort in weight room, yada yada - you get it.

Different note - Caravel is for real. Physical, Physical, Physical.
They are my Pick

Man Smyrna got some crazy passing numbers so far for them.. They were 4-10 for 44 yds vs MT.. and some ugly passing numbers against Arundel. I have to think there is something going on with Wrights arm.. soreness or something.

Another interesting stat is Knight has 10 more carries than Holman but Holman is averaging considerably more per carry. Knight averaging 3.7 yards per tote and Holman 7.0 and Knight leads the team in receptions with 9 for 85 yds

Over 2 games Smyrna passing is 22-45 .489 comp percentage 102 yds 0 td 3 ints QBR of 34.0

That is almost unbelievable

@SmyrnaOnTop what is going on?

Last edited:
perhaps.. but I have seen him throw before and he looked a lot better than what I saw in the Arundel game. No ones saying anything so who knows what the deal is.

The QB isn’t bad, however it was my understanding leading up to the game against Middletown that Smyrna was gonna run the wildcat with Yamir the majority of the time. Middletown coaches knew that and they prepared for it. When Wright did go in at QB he had his moments but I’d like to think it was the middletowns secondary that kept him from showing off his talent, like what we saw from his tape.

Reactions: Huskerman7
Wright needs a confidence building performance. No better chance than this week against CR.

I agree. But I their gonna need to really unleash their offense because after CR, their next 5 games are 50/50 games. Sussex Central, St. George’s, MerganThaler vo tech, Dover and then Sallies.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT