ADVERTISEMENT

Friday scores

smackjack continues to down the Lake coach for some reason but he continues to follow Lake. It must be killing him that Lake find ways to win, coach must be doing something right! Keep it up Lake coach, let smackjack keep losing sleep every Friday night. Keep doing what you do, you are impacting kids and shaping lives.

smackjack continues to down the Lake coach for some reason but he continues to follow Lake. It must be killing him that Lake find ways to win, coach must be doing something right! Keep it up Lake coach, let smackjack keep losing sleep every Friday night. Keep doing what you do, you are impacting kids and shaping lives.

I sleep just fine thank you. I follow Lake because I graduated from there. Seeing them win on Friday nights makes my weekends much more enjoyable. I know the team is capable of more if the offense is just opened up a little. I'm not asking for some dramatic scheme change. When he has the athletes like he has in the past(Bryant, Flamer, Cornish), it works. That is of course until he makes it to the playoffs and faces teams who know what's coming.... Teams will stack the box. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I have nothing against Johnson as a person just the scheme/play calling at times. Nothing wrong with criticism at all. That's what message boards are for. He's a great guy as are the rest of the coaches on the staff, but me much like much of the parents in the stands know the offense needs to be opened up. You can say, "well if it's not broke, why fix it". Well too many times this season, games have been decided by close scores due to the offense not doing much all game because he's stubborn with his offense. He doesn't need to completely scrap it and run a spread or whatever but it would be nice to see some slants/WR screens/HB screens/use of the TEs in the passing game, etc. Passing the ball will open up the run game and get some of those LBs and safeties out of the box. That's common sense. Nothing wrong with criticism, lighten up people.

Reactions: ravensrooster2
From what I've seen of Lake they are running the veer which isn't an offense conducive to passing the ball. They've been successful doing it the past few years. Being down 19-0 Friday night and coming back the way they did was impressive.

But I respect Smacks opinion and he's entitled to it.

Read an article in the news journal this week regarding #7 from Lake, great article. He makes us feel like we are a family. My old coach has changed the culture at Lake, at times we wanted coach to throw the ball more but he has his philosophy, we respected it and stuck to it. We don't always have alot of athletes or the best athletes at Lake, but he has kept us competitive for the past 7 years. If you are a true Spartan you would understand the Spartan way. Lake has always run the football and played tough defense. Running the ball has kept them in games when the other team was obviously more talented and better. Real Spartans football players understand "One Team, One Family" I hope coach continues to run the ball, teams know it's coming and they still have success. He knows how to get those kids to play Spartan football. He always said "everybody can't be a Spartan!" Run it coach, run it.

Fan the veer is a very good passing formation based on triple option. If you have an athletical QB can very hard to defend! Carson Newman University runs to perfection.

Lake and Carson Newman. Totally different .

The Lake QB is a good runner . Not sure he is a guy you wan't throwing the ball much .

Lake and Carson Newman. Totally different .

The Lake QB is a good runner . Not sure he is a guy you wan't throwing the ball much .

Not every play no but there's no reason they shouldn't pass at least 5 times a game. Give the kid repetitions at throwing the ball so he's somewhat comfortable when he does have to pass.

I am not a Lake fan but have been to several of their games over the last few years. I do know the kids believe in the coach. Lake runs the Delaware wing-t not a veer and the wing-t can be a passing and open offense if run properly. Their offense is very predictable. Smack makes good points about the offense. The coach refuses to use the plays action passes available in the offense that would allow them to drag guys out of the box. They seem to have under utilized weapons that could help open up their running game. The qb is a good runner obviously he is playing to his son's strengths but he has to be able to take the training wheels off and allow him throw to win a state championship. Imo, Lake had the best D2 team in the state last season. Hodgson had the best player and a coach who badly out coached Johnson. Obviously Johnson does a great job of getting kids out and developing them but his offensive scheme and play calling are not his strong suit.

the offense they ran Friday night was more veer than wing t and there is no question who was the better team last year and that was Hodgson.

The offense they ran Friday is the same offense they have run for at least the last 2 years and the offense is the wing t.

As a Lake fan who has been to almost every game for the past 20 something years let me start by saying I have to agree with smackjack on this one. We are realistic fans and we know on friday nights we're not going to be throwing the ball 15 -20 times but when you have fast play makers like Ben Moore #7 you have to find ways to get him out in space with the ball in his hands. I personally like Johnson as a person and coach he just drives us nuts in the stands when we have 3rd or 4th and 3 and run the ball up the middle when we're averaging negative yards up the middle on the night. Like smackjack said were not on here to bash Lake hell I love watching Lake win and the last couple of years have been an awesome ride. SPARTAN PRIDE!!!

Remember this: It's a lot easier to coach from the stands, you're never wrong.

You guys are good fans though. I enjoy the convo. I think you have a good team and it would probably help to develop a better passing game. Especially for the playoffs. Good luck.

HaHa there's no doubt about it we can all make all the right calls from the stands. Just good to see Lake competing again. We had our share of rough times and that's never fun. Iv'e heard grumbling in the stands for years with people wanting to air it out every down. That's just not realistic. And believe me I'm one of the loudest most vocal people in the crowd. Love Friday night football.

I think you have to be what you are and Lake is a running team. From the sound of it however, they need to develop the passing game to keep other teams honest. Remember, the foundation of the team is running and controlling the clock, there is only so much time you can devote to developing a passing game to compliment that. Hopefully by the time the playoffs roll around, Freddie will have it in place.

Reactions: fanoffootball123
I like to see some of you all coach a team. Especially a high school team, that would be funny. You guys don't know veer or wing t. wing t pulls guards, traps, sweeps, misdirection, counters. Veer is a type of play, inside veer, outside veer, veer can be run out of split, I, Flex, wishbone, T set, ect. coach Johnson can teach you guys a thing or two, or three about football and life. Run it coach run it, let them yell and lose sleep.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT