ADVERTISEMENT

Games Today

oldskool42

In the weight room getting big
Apr 30, 2012
Looks like 4 games today: game time temp @ 40 degrees. Unfortunately the games aren't the most intriguing or worthy of shivering while you watch baseball. Good luck to all the players and teams for a great 2015 !!!!!

Newark Charter @ Sussex Tech. Probably will be a tough one for a first game for Newark Charter.

St Marks @ Indian River. IR was 4-14 last year.

Red Lion @ DE Public Safety. Last year this game was the opener for both and it finished 21-11

Christiana @ Delmarva Christian. Neither team had more than 3 wins last year.

INTERESTING GAMES THIS WEEK:

Tues
St Georges @ Conrad
Hodgson @ Appo
Tech @ CR
Smyrna @ Delmar
Riverdale Baptist @ Caravel

Wed
St Marks @ St E

Thurs
Ai @ Mtown
Caravel @ Sallies
CR @ Dover

Fri
St Marks @ Hodgson

Sat
CR @ St Marks

Anyone notice St marks has 4 competitive games this week.

Originally posted by oldskool42:
Looks like 4 games today: game time temp @ 40 degrees. Unfortunately the games aren't the most intriguing or worthy of shivering while you watch baseball. Good luck to all the players and teams for a great 2015 !!!!!

Newark Charter @ Sussex Tech. Probably will be a tough one for a first game for Newark Charter.

St Marks @ Indian River. IR was 4-14 last year.

Red Lion @ DE Public Safety. Last year this game was the opener for both and it finished 21-11

Christiana @ Delmarva Christian. Neither team had more than 3 wins last year.

INTERESTING GAMES THIS WEEK:

Tues
St Georges @ Conrad
Hodgson @ Appo
Tech @ CR
Smyrna @ Delmar
Riverdale Baptist @ Caravel

Wed
St Marks @ St E

Thurs
Ai @ Mtown
Caravel @ Sallies
CR @ Dover

Fri
St Marks @ Hodgson

Sat
CR @ St Marks

Anyone notice St marks has 4 competitive games this week.
St Marks has 4 games because Saturdays game got moved to Monday and next week is Easter week. They can not play sports on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

St Marks 6 - Indian River 0
IR started freshman Myles Clark on the hill who went three innings and score was 2-0, IR then put in freshman Brandon Hoffman who pitched 3 innings and score was 4-0 after 6. They both pitched well and only had one walk each. Another IR pitcher gave up 2 runs in the 7th for a final of 6-0. Errors and late walks / hit batters killed IR, could have easily been a 1 or 2 run game. SM pitched #6 for 5 innings and #20 for 2 innings. Defense and pitchers were flawless for SM, no walks and no errors. IR also had a freshman shortstop. St Marks did not look like the same team from last year. Neither team hit very well, which is understandable considering the weather.

I'm a down state guy and went and watched the St Marks IR game. I was thinking St Marks pitching woulda been a little suspect but I was impressed with both kids they threw. The first kid out there had to be throwing 83-85 and was in control most of game. The second kid was just as much in control and was probably 80 - 82. He was only a Sophmore. St Marks left a lot of guys on base, score coulda been worse. St. Marks will be just fine.

It will be tough the first 2 weeks to judge anything unless someone looks really bad. Northeast weather kills baseball...

April will bring better baseball. It looks like a lot of games will have to reschedule with the rain coming later in the week.

mad0012.r191677.gif

I believe St. Marks threw a lefty, Andrew Reich. He throws pretty hard with some decent off-speed stuff. Sounds like IR is pretty young.

On another note, Red Lion lost to D.A.P.P.S.?? What has happened to that program?

Originally posted by HSBaseballFanDE:

On another note, Red Lion lost to D.A.P.P.S.?? What has happened to that program?
They're a tiny private school who's trying to do things the right way?

They're a tiny private school who's trying to do things the right way now?

Polytech - 10 IR - 5
Each team had 7 hits. IR gave up 4 runs in bottom of 7 and Polytech gave up 4 runs in top of 7. Starting pitcher for Polytech was decent going 5 innings giving up one run. Chasanov for Polytech did well at the plate and in the field. IR highlights - Eddie Hogan had 3 hits, Zane Richard had a double, Billy Murray had a double and Ryan Engh had a triple. Catcher Andrew White threw 2 out at second. IR needs to limit walks and hit batters and their games would be much closer.

Originally posted by TouchThemAll:

They're a tiny private school who's trying to do things the right way now?
I understand the football situation went over the top BUT if "by doing things the right way" means just having a team and doing nothing to attract athletes to the school then and as I have said before a small Christian school will fail as it pertains to keeping kids there for High School.. I am not even talking about kids choosing RL as a High School as that won't happen but more so talking about keeping kids who attend elementary thru middle school there. If they have kids who are serious about playing High School sports they will leave and attend other High Schools if RL doesn't offer competetive sports programs.. I have seen it happen everywhere... RL will need to do something to attract kids there and quality sports programs is a huge magnet as well as poor sports teams will drive kids out as they reach High School age

This post was edited on 3/25 8:28 AM by ravensrooster2

Agreed ravensrooster. Is the implication that the RL Baseball Program previously wasn't doing things "the right way"?? I think all of the other sports programs got lumped into guilt by association and, in fact, ran respectable, successful programs. The baseball program with Pusey and Marenco were always competitive and respected. In fact, Pusey is now back at the helm there. So I do not quite understand the "doing things the right way" comment. Might want to check your facts....

I think this is called thread highjacking...
smile.r191677.gif

I don't know the inner workings of RLCA, that's why my comment was in the form of a question. The mission and philosophy statements on their website don't mention athletics, so I can only assume that it's no longer a top priority at the school. All of the Christian high schools ("in the biblical sense of this term") in Delaware are relatively small and have trouble fielding competitive teams for most sports. RLCA's first attempt to attract athletes and build competitive programs while staying true to their Christian mission did not end well. I can understand if they are proceeding with caution on the sports front.

HS, I didn't mean to imply that the other programs were guilty of anything, but didn't they benefit from the significant capital investment in sports facilities at RLCA during the '00s and early '10s? Turf fields, weight rooms, etc. Did the glamor of a big-time football program and facilities attract student athletes to the school for other sports?

@Touch, Valid points made. I am not privy to that information, but I don't recall any of the baseball players in the football program. I believe the basketball team benefited as well. They made it to the State Finals?? Certainly the parties involved significantly improved the facilities at RL which, in turn, the other sports programs would have reaped the benefits.

On another note, looks like the rain has POSTPONED a couple of games today already. Haven't heard of any makeup dates yet. Please post if you have heard.

I don't remember any football players playing baseball other than the ones that were at Red Lion prior to the influx of football players.. like LeNoir. ect.. One football player (Pressley) played baseball one year but pretty much only as a pinch runner... As for the basketball team none of the Island kids played football but the football team did convert some bball guys like Blackson, Isiah Johnson, and there were a few dual sport guys like Watson and Bradley but for the most part the guys that came in for football just played football and trained the rest of the year.. A few tried to play Lax but that didn't work so well... a couple also tried their hand at wresting but were not factors.

The baseball team drew guys due to the fact Red Lion let Bear Little league use their feilds as well as Marenco was very involved with the LL.The LL kids were on campus all summer so logically they knew the coach and knew the school had great fascilities and training . I believe Marenco coached the Bear team that made it to the Cal Ripken World Series as well..

Like others have said any Coach who is serious about building a solid program that attracts serious players they have to be involved in the youth leagues and be visible.especially ones in you feeder zones...

This post was edited on 3/26 2:15 PM by ravensrooster2

I believe Marenco had a lot to do with the Delaware Viper travel program as well. Quite a few players excelling at various high schools right now have come through that program.

Hopefully the weather cooperates tomorrow and some of these games get played. Been a difficult winter for all teams and now they can't even get games in on a 60 degree day! Saturday temps look brutal for baseball....

rr2, cant believe you still sit here and defend the old RL regime!!! Sills and his groupies almost destroyed that school. to sit there a still defend them is beyond idiotic. BTW, you have said you are leaving depreps at least 3 times only to return!!! leave already, or is that just your cry for attention......what a tool

Originally posted by rizzo2005:
rr2, cant believe you still sit here and defend the old RL regime!!! Sills and his groupies almost destroyed that school. to sit there a still defend them is beyond idiotic. BTW, you have said you are leaving depreps at least 3 times only to return!!! leave already, or is that just your cry for attention......what a tool
You sir are a first class asshole.. I wasn't defending anything.. so maybe its just time to go F yourself or show yourself.. keyboard cowboy..

Lets be honest... its delaware high school baseball... nothing to get this heated about. RR is simply expression his knowledge of different situations, as is everyone else. Schools go up and down with athletics in a state like delaware. Red lion might be trying to get the academic/Christian aspect of the school entirely settled, and then extend their athletics. It would be a disservice to all the students and the student's families to emphasize athletics before the rest of the school has a solid foundation that is proven itself over a period of time.

I was kidding with Sparty hence the lol. Sparty is a big boy he can take it.

This post was edited on 3/27 8:13 PM by ravensrooster2

Damn! I thought I was the only Ahole on this board! Glad to have company!

@1superfan

thanks Coach....
I actually like RR...Yaz is a good sport too

8Yaz we are all A-Hole's from time to time.. 8Yaz is at least consistent in the hate for privates and that is OK.. 8Yaz is entertaining and that is what we are mostly here for anyway... besides Carl Yaz is one of my top 5 favorite MLB players all-time (George Brett being my favorite) .. YAZ could hit and was consistent...great ball player.. Sparty cracks me up as well.. love his sense of humor...

This post was edited on 3/27 8:31 PM by ravensrooster2

wow, nice mouth, rr2, I guess this means you will not be leaving the board and you do need the attention. just remember, the oldtimers know your true sills colors. mostly kool aide colors...... keep drinking. BTW, stay away from red loin, they are doing just fine. they kicked you and sills out once, so stop trying to "fix them" on here. They don't want your or sillis advice, but they will take you turf fields and you weights, if you would like to make some more donations.....lol

Originally posted by spartakos:
@Rizzo

ouch
Stop instigating! lol... besides the moron doesn't have a clue what he is talking about.. No one kicked us out that is nonsense...nor did I have anything to do with the the inner working of things and I certainly didn't donate any weights or fields... Just a parent of two kids that attended the school.. I really don't even know Sills all that well other than the occasional hello and handshake.. Honestly I don't even think he liked me all that much to tell the truth.

This post was edited on 3/30 7:50 PM by ravensrooster2

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT