ADVERTISEMENT

GAMES TUESDAY MARCH 24 -PLEASE POST SCORES

oldskool42

In the weight room getting big
Apr 30, 2012
Well its a balmy 40 degrees and overcast. Great day for baseball. Full slate of games today.

Hightlighted Games

St Georges @ Conrad. Two playoff teams from last year, both went out in the first round. St Georges won this matchup last year, 6-2 but Conrad was leading late 2-1, but gave up 5 runs in the 5th.

Mt Pleasant @ Newark. Mt P had a successful year in 2014 winning 14 games and making the
playoffs. They lost their first game though. Newark finished the season winning 5 of their last 6 games and going 11-7, just missing the playoffs. Considering 3 of Newark's 7 losses were by 1 run, they weren't a bad team. Mt P lost
to Newark mid season last year 13-2. (who was the real playoff team?).

Hodgson @ Appo. In 2014, Hodgson actually finished with the LEAST amount of wins since 2006, 13
wins. Hodgson made it to the quarter finals losing to A.I. (Hodgson lost 2 of the last 3 years in the playoffs to
A.I.) Appo had a terrible start in 2014, but finished strong at 9-9, just missing the playoffs. Hodgson beat Appo in 2014 2-1 in spectacular pitching duel DURING A SNOW STORM.

Archmere @ Wm Penn. Archmere had one of its best season ever finishing 16-2 but losing a
disappointing 14-0 in the 2nd round of the playoffs to Dover. Archmere is without its best player last
year. At 9-9 last year, Wm Penn had its first .500 or better team since 2007. This included losing 4 of its last 5 last year. Will they continue to improve? Voge tossed a 3 hitter against Wm Penn last year.

Tech @ CR. Both teams were playoff teams last year. Tech losing in the first round, CR losing in
the second round. Tech beat CR in last years opener 6-5 with Tech scoring 2 runs in the 6th to pull back
ahead. Tech and CR have played 2 straight years of 1 run games with trading wins. CR graduated all of its pitching from last year.

Dover @ Cape. Dover had a very good season in 2014, but lost a close semifinal game to eventual
champ Caravel 5-3. We all know Cape's Hawaii collapse last year, losing its final 7 games after returning home from playing in Hawaii. No trips planned for Cape this year I don't think.

Smyrna @ Delmar. Both playoffs teams in 2014. Smyrna won 14 games last year, including its first round playoff game and lost a heartbreaking quarterfinal game to Caravel 7-6 (which Smyrna was winning 5-1
going into the 6th inning). Delmar started off well last year going 5-0, but lost 6 of its next 8
games. Smyrna beat Delmar 15-5 last year and has won the last three years matchups.

Lake @ Central. Lake finished 10-8 in 2014, its first winning season 2008. Central made it to the playoffs, but got
buried by Caravel 14-3. Its been a LONG, LONG time since Lake has beat Central.

Riverdale Baptist @ Caravel. Riverdale is some serious baseball. First lets just say they are 6-1 already this season and all games in the Md/DC area. How? I don't know! Generally they play over 30 games per year,
winning more than 20 games most years (24-6 last year). Their coach has over 1000 wins. Yes, one thousand wins. Riverdale is a very good team. But Caravel beat them last year 5-3 and lost by 1 run in 2012.

This post was edited on 3/24 2:12 PM by oldskool42

Thanks Oldskool 42.

I do not post much, however, enjoy reading the breakdowns.

I am hoping 8yaz makes it down there and can give us a report on Newark.

Also, I wonder how much William Penn can improve. It will be a good test against a pitcher that threw a good game against them.

Thanks Ozzie19.

I think 8yaz will be happy today. Newark beat them up last year and Mt P lost its pitching from last year. I see Newark improving.

Everyone seems to be down on Archmere. I think they will still be a decent team. Penn is improving and should make it a good game i think and be decent as well this season.

Archmere 11
WP 0
After 5.

Final (unofficial): 13-0 in 6

This post was edited on 3/24 5:47 PM by TouchThemAll

Wow Archmere...is Archmere that good or Wm Penn that bad?

St Georges 9-2 FINAL over Conrad

This post was edited on 3/24 5:44 PM by oldskool42

Caravel won 5-4 on walk off sac fly. Were down 4-3 going into bottom of 7th. Carney and Fraley both looked good on the mound. Middletown beat Dickinson 15-3 using three Freshman pitchers.

Is this right? McKean's pitcher went 9.1 innings tonight against Glasgow? 10K's and 12 hits? On a 40 degree night in March? That box score can't be right.

Originally posted by DESPORTSFANFROMPA:
If you look on Game Changer he threw 127 Pitches too. Way to go Coach!!!
First game of the season. Hardly any scrimmages. I don't get it. If I were that kids dad I would have pulled him myself.

Colin Adams is THE catcher at CA and yes he can handle any pitcher. Zwier was great and CA misses his bat. But defensively especially Adams is an upgrade in every aspect of the position. Come watch the game under the lights Saturday at 7:00 vs. Newark Charter. Bring a coat...temps in the mid 30's at game time.

Originally posted by Ozzie19:

I am hoping 8yaz makes it down there and can give us a report on Newark.
8yaz was there but had to leave early when the score was 1-1. Stranahan pitched ok, had command issues. Third baseman was struggling misplayed several balls. I wasn't there for the 4 run 7th. McDonnell kid had two nice doubles but that was about it for Newark's offense. Not a great start for the home town team.

Nice win for St Georges, Conrad is a quality team and to run them 9-2 is pretty impressive.

Also, 127 pitches on day 1? Crazy, I'm sure the kid wanted to stay in...but c'mon coach. No need for that.

What about Adams' bat ??? I didn't hear anything about that. So I guess he is only a defensive guy without that big bat everyone talks about.

smokin.r191677.gif

Another one. Delmarva Christian's pitcher threw 124 pitches tonight according to their box score. It was a 5-5 tie and then he gave up 4 runs in the top of the 7th. I wonder why!

ACTUALLY!!!!, On game changer it is 133 pitches.
Another Coach that should be ashamed of himself to do that to a pitcher this early. Parents need to speak up, it's your son's possible future being destroyed by a High School coach that doesn't care.

chairshot.r191677.gif

Cape had their chances against Dover on Tuesday down 6-4 bottom of the 6th 2 on and no outs couldn't get a clutch hit , Dover no hit cape until the 5th and was flawless in the field compared to capes 6 errors

it's almost like these coaches are going to force a pitch count limit to be put on the books. They obviously can't control themselves.

A lot of these programs are not very strong to start with, if I had a kid coming up that was a pitcher there is no way I'd send him to a school that would do that.

Originally posted by FuriousFour:

it's almost like these coaches are going to force a pitch count limit to be put on the books. They obviously can't control themselves.

A lot of these programs are not very strong to start with, if I had a kid coming up that was a pitcher there is no way I'd send him to a school that would do that.
Unfortunately, it may take an on-the-field injury before anything is done. These guys can point to lots of kids who were put through the 100+ PC ordeal and came out of it ok. They're only looking at their own small sample size (a couple of kids each year) and concluding that they know what they're doing. But many of them are ignoring what the rest of baseball is learning about overuse, recovery time, and lack of proper conditioning.

Furious...My understanding is that a pitch limit has been introduced. I guess it would be for next season. Not sure that this is not like the Red Lion conversation. What I am referring to is that I imagine a lot of coaches monitor the pitches where a few may not or not care. Good for those that do! I did notice that some results on web (websites4sports) are showing pitch counts toward the bottom. Nice addition ...now all people can see what coaches are doing. I hope all coaches do this!

Originally posted by deball1:
Furious...My understanding is that a pitch limit has been introduced. I guess it would be for next season. Not sure that this is not like the Red Lion conversation. What I am referring to is that I imagine a lot of coaches monitor the pitches where a few may not or not care. Good for those that do! I did notice that some results on web (websites4sports) are showing pitch counts toward the bottom. Nice addition ...now all people can see what coaches are doing. I hope all coaches do this!
Days rest should be based on pitches thrown not innings pitched. Yesterday a St E's pitcher pitched 2 plus innings but threw 64 pitches yesterday. He never finished the third inning. St Marks pitcher had 64 in 5 innings. Both should be required to have the same amount of rest but that is not the case today.

DIAA Regular Season and Tournament Pitching Limitations

A. A player may not pitch in more than 16 innings in any seven calendar day period. Delivery of one pitch constitutes having pitched in an inning.

B. If a player pitches in three innings or less in a day, no rest is required before he/she pitches again.

C. If a player pitches in four, five, or six innings in a day, he/she must have two calendar days of rest.

D. If a player pitches in seven or more innings in a day, he/she must have three calendar days of rest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT