ADVERTISEMENT

Girls Basketball State of the Union part 2

Filmore00

Tackles too high
Jan 13, 2017
Wow where to start???...ok All State

All-state- Players that take 30-40 shots a game and put up big #'s vs very bad competition are deserving of honorable mention at best. I've seen the girl from Laurel and Dickinson and neither should any better than honorable mention. Laurel and Dickinson both play very very weak schedules. I constantly hear people making these girls out to be way better than they are. My question is where would they fit with the likes of Sanford or Conrad? Both players would be the 5th or 6th best player on those teams. Both Conrad and Sanford probably deserve at least 3 players on all state and wouldn't argue with each having a 4 players make all state. Ursuline, Caravel, or St. E's all have at least 2 players deserving of all state as well. I just don't like the fact that we reward the individuality and selfishness vs bad competition and bad coaching to go with it.

Fan behavior and complaining to officials- Only continues to worsen. Boys games have always been bad but it's happening more and more at girls games. Athletic directors and administrators need to police there fans better. I feel that they allow it and are afraid to confront those people that are the big problems. I was at the Carvel vs Conrad girls game and the AD and administrators allowed the Caravel fans to scream and curse throughout the game. I watched the AD and principal and they did nothing. Not sure if this is there way of trying to intimidate the officials??? I've also witnessed Ursuline, St. E's, and Red Lion fans berate officials this year at a few of there games. I don't think that's very Christian or Catholic :-(

Ursuline- As one of there fans said to me "Ursuline finally has Ursuline girls" and I asked what that meant and they said " we don't have all the girls that were recruited here for basketball, we are a school which should focus on academic first and foremost." "Here at Ursuline we've had a much bigger focus on athletics over the last 10-15 years and have allowed it to be ahead of academics, that is not what a high school education should be about"

Sanford- I was wondering why Sanford didn't have St. E's or Conard on there schedule and I was told that St. E's has a beef with how Sanford coach has recruited several of there St. E's players over the years and Conard won't put Sanford on there schedule due to an incident from last years state tournament where a Sanford player went into Conard's huddle.

2 Divisions- In girls basketball there really needs to be 2 division. With the number of schools opening up in Delaware and some of the talent being spread out. There are more and more blowouts.

Blowouts/Running up the score- I've witnessed 3 games this season where a top 10 team beat another team by 50 or more. Do I blame the coach for running it up? No, I blame the opposing coach for not coach there team and not trying to make them better. When you are down by 30, 40, or 50 you shouldn't be pressing the other team, use your time-outs to teach your team, don't just sit there doing nothing. Each game I witnessed the coach of the losing team and they did nothing to help there team at all. Disgraceful!!

State Tournament- Delaware needs to put together a committee of former coaches, players, officials. One that actually goes to the games and watches the teams then puts together a tournament bracket that is fair to all teams. I continue to witness teams like St. E's, Hodgson, St. Thomas, Sussex Tech, Laurel, Dickinson, and Newark Charter put together the weakest schedules they could. My top seeds would be as of today:

1 & 1A Conard/Sanford- go to strength of schedule or have them play each other
3. Caravel
4. St. E's
5. Ursuline
6. Howard
7. CR
8. Hodgson
9. Sussex Tech
10.Padua/ St. Thomas

Why do people keep saying Ursuline recruits players for basketball? I personally know 4 girls who played at Ursuline 2 at St.Es 3 at Archmere 1 at St.Thomas More and 1 at Concord Christian the past few years and NONE of them were recruited by Noonan or anyone else on the coaching staff. In fact they all tested well in all the schools they applied too such as Ursuline,Padua, Sanford, St. Es,Archmere,Concord Christian and St.Thomas More in every case the individual family pick the school based on their own reasons. of them are now in College, 5 playing ball D2, D3 and JC, 3 are attending top D3 schools 2 are seniors in high school,and 1 transferred out of Dware. One of the 2 remaining seniors also transferred out and recently received a Scholarship to the Navel Academy. So the parent might be right about having UA girls but I'm not to sure about the recruiting.

Last edited:
That "UA girls" comment by the parent sounds rather coded. Possibly shots at the girls who transferred out, which would be silly considering they won championships with those girls.

Also among the weak schedules is Delmarva Christian, who plays majority out of state schools who are mostly terrible and they get invited to the DIAA tourney every year. They're going to take a bye from a deserving team this year and promptly get bounced.

Ursuline will never have to recruit, parents with kids that can play want their child to attend there.

Woodbridge can't help the Henlopen South is weak. They also lost to a pretty solid St. Mark's team and unlike Delmarva Christian, they've played in-state opponents for the bulk of their schedule.

All-state- Players that take 30-40 shots a game and put up big #'s vs very bad competition are deserving of honorable mention at best. I've seen the girl from Laurel and Dickinson and neither should any better than honorable mention. Laurel and Dickinson both play very very weak schedules. I constantly hear people making these girls out to be way better than they are. My question is where would they fit with the likes of Sanford or Conrad? Both players would be the 5th or 6th best player on those teams. Both Conrad and Sanford probably deserve at least 3 players on all state and wouldn't argue with each having a 4 players make all state. Ursuline, Caravel, or St. E's all have at least 2 players deserving of all state as well. I just don't like the fact that we reward the individuality and selfishness vs bad competition and bad coaching to go with it.

Fan behavior and complaining to officials- Only continues to worsen. Boys games have always been bad but it's happening more and more at girls games. Athletic directors and administrators need to police there fans better. I feel that they allow it and are afraid to confront those people that are the big problems. I was at the Carvel vs Conrad girls game and the AD and administrators allowed the Caravel fans to scream and curse throughout the game. I watched the AD and principal and they did nothing. Not sure if this is there way of trying to intimidate the officials??? I've also witnessed Ursuline, St. E's, and Red Lion fans berate officials this year at a few of there games. I don't think that's very Christian or Catholic :-(

Ursuline- As one of there fans said to me "Ursuline finally has Ursuline girls" and I asked what that meant and they said " we don't have all the girls that were recruited here for basketball, we are a school which should focus on academic first and foremost." "Here at Ursuline we've had a much bigger focus on athletics over the last 10-15 years and have allowed it to be ahead of academics, that is not what a high school education should be about"

Sanford- I was wondering why Sanford didn't have St. E's or Conard on there schedule and I was told that St. E's has a beef with how Sanford coach has recruited several of there St. E's players over the years and Conard won't put Sanford on there schedule due to an incident from last years state tournament where a Sanford player went into Conard's huddle.

2 Divisions- In girls basketball there really needs to be 2 division. With the number of schools opening up in Delaware and some of the talent being spread out. There are more and more blowouts.

Blowouts/Running up the score- I've witnessed 3 games this season where a top 10 team beat another team by 50 or more. Do I blame the coach for running it up? No, I blame the opposing coach for not coach there team and not trying to make them better. When you are down by 30, 40, or 50 you shouldn't be pressing the other team, use your time-outs to teach your team, don't just sit there doing nothing. Each game I witnessed the coach of the losing team and they did nothing to help there team at all. Disgraceful!!

State Tournament- Delaware needs to put together a committee of former coaches, players, officials. One that actually goes to the games and watches the teams then puts together a tournament bracket that is fair to all teams. I continue to witness teams like St. E's, Hodgson, St. Thomas, Sussex Tech, Laurel, Dickinson, and Newark Charter put together the weakest schedules they could. My top seeds would be as of today:

3. Caravel
4. St. E's
5. Ursuline
6. Howard
7. CR
8. Hodgson
9. Sussex Tech
10.Padua/ St. Thomas

If a beef exist between St. Elizabeth's and Sanford, it is definitely because of a misunderstanding. Sanford did not recruit Lauren Park or Olivia Tucker, both who previously attended St. E. Lauren was originally slated to attend Ursuline, but her family made the Sanford decision because it was best for their family. They wanted both their children (they have a son to attend the same school). Olivia joined Sanford the following year, perhaps because of Lauren, but not because of being recruited.
The Conrad incident is a definite prefabrication. Final minutes of game, Conrad player was on the line shooting a foul shot. Coach called one of his players, (Faville) to more than likely set up a play, no official timeout was called. Faville went to get instructions from Coach, she was being guarded by Lauren Park, player was only guarding her man,who fell back with Faville. There was no official timeout or HUDDLE. Heads up play by Lauren, who knew that Faville was capable of making the shot and extending the game and shame on the individual who deliberately would lie about the incident. What kind of example are we setting for our youth?????

Last edited:
That "UA girls" comment by the parent sounds rather coded. Possibly shots at the girls who transferred out, which would be silly considering they won championships with those girls.

Also among the weak schedules is Delmarva Christian, who plays majority out of state schools who are mostly terrible and they get invited to the DIAA tourney every year. They're going to take a bye from a deserving team this year and promptly get bounced.

To be fair, Delmarva Christian beat a Wilmington Christian team that is 4-1 against Independent Conference foes not named Sanford. WCS probably finishes 14-6, no worse than 13-7, and also appears in-line for a state tourney berth. The top 10 or so teams are really far ahead of most of the rest so I think a school like WCS is solidly in the top 24.

3. Caravel
4. St. E's
5. Ursuline
6. Howard
7. CR
8. Hodgson
9. Sussex Tech
10.Padua/ St. Thomas
I am not sure how you determined it was Caravel fans that were cussing. I was at that game and the Conrad fans were cursing at the Caravel Girls and giving them the finger, which is totally unacceptable. I think that parents on both sides of each team yell at the refs, not just certain schools. It is sad when Delaware is know for having the worst refs, so much it is hard to get out of state teams to play teams in Delaware, and to be honest I don't blame them.

Reactions: moneyballforme

3. Caravel
4. St. E's
5. Ursuline
6. Howard
7. CR
8. Hodgson
9. Sussex Tech
10.Padua/ St. Thomas

As a spectator at the Caravel/Conrad game, it was Conrad parents using obscene language, giving the players the middle finger and saying derogatory names to Caravel fans. It was an extreme poor show of how people should act! These are children doing their best.

Let’s also address the broader referee issues. I get we are all human and are going to make mistakes. My question is, do the referee’s have to watch film of the games they referee to learn from? If not, I highly suggest that be implemented. Out of state games are much more fluent and in control, thanks to the refs.

Many changes need to be implemented for the sake of the players and the sport

Reactions: DEGirlsBballFan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT