ADVERTISEMENT

Girls High School Basketball Pre- Pre- Season for 2016-2017

Justabasketballfan

Getting reps on JV
Mar 16, 2015
The season is around the corner. And the movement has begun. So many girls will be holding different uniforms than last year, that could change the land scape of basketball for some teams. Probably one of the biggest names is 8th grader Shania Davis going to St. Elizabeth as a 9th grader from Wilmington Christian; Sasha Marvel will be going to Caravel from St. Thomas More; Amaja Mack transferring from St. Thomas more to possibly out of state; and Me- Me Brown possibly from Dickinson to Hodgson. These moves will be pivotal for the teams they are going to. I’m sure I know there are a few more moves that have been made that I have not caught up too yet

1. Ursuline: They lose three seniors to last year’s 2015-16 State Championship team. But they are still fully loaded with the freshman class from last year. They are led by last year’s ESPN top 100 freshman player Alisha Lewis, Maggie Connolly, and Kryshell Gordy. Other players that will contribute immediately are Kay Wulah, Yanni Hendley-Mccalla, Valerie Cradler, and Olivia Mason. Ursuline also has a few incoming 9th graders but none that are impactful like last year’s class. A balance scoring attack will continue to be the name of the game for this team. They lost a serviceable big to transfer this year. They will need consistent scoring from the post or forward area.

2. Sanford: This year’s team will be a lot younger in totality. They have lost so much offense. The demand will now sit on the shoulders of their four freshman from last year Lauren Park-Lane, Oliva Tucker, Kendra Warren, and the 1 player that made a surprise immediate impact was Samantha Pollich with strong her inside presence. Not having a deeper bench could hurt them down the stretch. One of the top Incoming freshman Kanisa Tucker will be a serviceable player coming in.

3. Conrad: The Cinderella team is back and for now they will stay at number 3. They are very young only losing one senior. The rest will be 8th, 9th, and 10th graders playing major minutes. Led by last year’s 8th grade sensation Julie Kulesza. They will back this year because they have new 8th graders who will make a great impact this season. One is a 6'2 player who will hold the middle down. Which was a weakness last year down the stretch. Immaturity could be there only issue. There not going to surprise anyone this year.

4. Concord: This team I believe underachieved. They had everything I believed that could of challenged Ursuline for the title. This year’s team will not be the same. They have a mixture of size, inside scoring, shooting, and athleticism to compete. They lost some key freshman to transfers that will shorten their bench. They will slip down in the rankings. Controlling the ball, chemistry, and limiting turnovers will continue to be an issue.

5. Hodgson: This year they will look like concord of last year. They have so many guards this year that they will have a hard time trying play them all. So in order to maximize this team the coach will press the whole game to hide the lack of size they are missing and to manage the minutes of all those talented guards. Kayla Braxton-Young, Jania Jackson, and rumored transfer player from Dickinson ‘Me-Me’ Brown will be the trio to run this team. They’re going to run and shoot all day. And with Me-Me on the floor she will keep the team running at a high level. Again size in the middle will be an issue. This team could be one of closest to challenging Ursuline if they have addressed there size issue.

6. Caravel: This team lost a lot of offense the year before. Last year it showed. But this team was still efficient in there game play by maximizing the pieces they had. This team was a solid defensive team. They have size, and solid gaurds, But they lacked a second consistent scorer after Maia Bryson. They have good players in Grace Lange, Kaylee Otlowski, Karli Cauley, and Ondia Brown. But if rumors are correct transfer Sasha Marvel will give them some more consistent scoring and ball handling that they need. Consistent post scoring could be the only issue.

7. St. Thomas More: This team may not stay at this number. The young team that was making big noise throughout the year fell short to the Cinderella team in the tournament. Had Conrad not make their run this would have been the surprise team that everyone would of talked about. Well that was last year. Two of their offensive players are gone. The great thing is there still young and they still have the right pieces to be more than competitive. There are so many rumors of players going to that school not sure who will end up there. Some scoring help and deeper bench will be an issue.

8. St. Elizabeth: This team will be a veteran team in ever since of the word. The team will be filled with juniors and seniors and will be very competitive. They didn't graduate anyone so they will be hard pressed to make a run this year with the talent they have. The have size and guard play with scoring from inside and out. The only thing missing was a consistent scorer from the guard position that can create their own shot. Enter transfer incoming 9th grade player from Wilmington Christian Shania "Tink" Davis. She will give this team scoring in bunches at the guard spot. They have the best balanced attack and a deep bench to contend with Ursuline this year. Look for these guys to move up in the rankings. On paper this team looks to have no real weakness. If Tink Davis fits in with the team chemistry they will be make a good run this season.

9. Sussex Central: They basically beat up on the down state teams until they met up with Hodgson in the tournament. They look to do the same thing this year until they play St. Thomas More, and Caeser Rodney. They lose four seniors from last year’s team. They will be very young. They should drop from the top ten.

10. Caeser Rodney: This team will try to make run with their main player Alissa Haith. They lost a lot of offense with the graduation of their seniors. They are a solid defensive team but there offense will struggle. They should do well with the down state teams until they get into the tournament. They need more offense to help with Haith.
The next eight

11. Howard: Na'liegha Wright and Jamail Hollis will look to take over the point guard job and add to the offense of the Blatch-Huggins sisters to get this team more wins. Turn overs could continue to be an issue for them.

12. Dover: New coach, new system, and a new philosophy. A change is coming for this program. Not sure if they will stay at the 12th spot.

13. Woodbridge:

14. Padua: Some new incoming freshman will help with the transition of a new era. Based on their schedule they will make the tournament. They need inside scoring, and rebounding on both ends of floor to compete.

15. William Penn: This team I believed under achieved. There defensive mindedness was slowed down during the course of the year. They will have to get back to that great team chemistry that had at the start of the season. Offensive identity will be an issue.

16. Mount Pleasant: The season should fare better with having 6'3 F/C Zaria Newson for a whole season. They missed the playoffs because of her mid-season injury. Rumor has it that they have some strong guards coming in to push them to the play offs. This team should move up into the top ten if there guard play improves. A deeper bench will be an issue.

17. Sussex Tech:

18. A. I. DuPont: This Lauren Griffins last year. She has carried this team for two years plus. This year she has an top incoming freshman guard Bernya Mayo, and Daniya "Mooch" Dixon that will give her instant help. Size will be an issue. And they need and inside scoring presence to compete.

End of the Season Prediction: As for teams, Ursuline looks to be the favorite to win it on paper. But The teams that will have a really good chance to challenge them is Conrad, Concord, Caravel, Hodgson, and Sanford. But the team that really has chance to beat them will be St. Elizabeth. There Veteran Leadership, size, guard play, and now a real scorer from the guard position will actually challenge Ursuline. This could be the year for St. Elizabeth to challenge if Ursuline doesn’t cement an inside scoring threat or a consistent scoring from one of their forwards like Kailyn Kempert provided last year or St. Elizabeth will have a great chance this year.

Player break outs: There is so much talent on the girls side of basketball in Delaware. The 9th grade class that has been talked about will begin to show I believe this year. The Individual break outs will be all over the board. With teams so many transfers and team needs it going to be hard to figure out who will have a good year. So consistently Maia Bryson of Caravel should show some new poise; Zaria Newson Of Mount Pleasant; Senay Clarke, of Appo, with no help on the offensive end will have a great year with her numbers; If the Logan Handy of Laurel hasn’t transferred she will put up great numbers again; Aahliyah Selby, and Zhan’e Snow of Concord should have good numbers; Lauren Griffin of A.I. will have big numbers; Alyssa Haith of Caeser Rodney; And If the rumor is true of Me-Me Brown her numbers will drop somewhat because of the talent she will have around her at Hodgson, but her assists will go up and so will the wins; And Lastly the Kulesza sisters will be playing together for the first time in high school at Conrad.

Impact incoming freshman: The most Obvious is Julie Kulesza will continue where she left off from last year as an 8th grader for Conrad. She will be competing with another 8th grader from last year Shania Davis who was at Wilmington Christian and has transferred to St. Elizabeth. Others are Kanisa Tucker at Sanford, Arrianna Henry at Padua, and Bernya Mayo, Daniya Dixon at A.I. DuPont

Last edited:
Early top 10:

1. Ursuline - young, athletic, two-time defending champs. What's not to like?
2. Sanford - gonna be hard replacing Alston's do-everything skill, but when you've got Tucker who can score, Park running the show and the twin towers of Pollich and Warren, they're definitely a favorite.
3. Conrad - can they prove that 2015-16 wasn't just a flash in the pan? Losing only one senior makes that pretty easy on them.
4. Concord - losing McLaughlin and Panchak will be rough, but they've still got Snow, Selby, Dennis and others.
5. St. Thomas More - Wild Card. Team full of underclassmen coming back after a taste of the Bob should be a team everyone watches out for/
6. St. E's - Upset by Conrad last year, can they get back on track?
7. Hodgson - Perkins-Jackson and the Braxton-Young twins did well in a trial by fire season, now they're really expected to step up.
8. Howard - Size, speed, skill. That Flight B battle between them and Hodgson is going to be pret-tay pret-tay interesting.
9. Caravel - They always seem to reload instead of rebuild.
10. CR - knocked off Howard in the tourney, got caught up in Conrad-mania at the Bob, but returns some talent.

Reactions: Simmonj4618
Good preview; here are some other downstate teams to keep an eye on:

Sussex Tech - With Hignutt, Stevens and Scott they have some size and athleticism. Can they overcome coaching?
Smyrna - They return Credle, Smith and Bennett, should be improved playing for Philly Elite AAU over the summer. Can they play under control?
Lake Forest - With Coach Shields LF will always be in the hunt for a playoff berth. With Maddox, Burrell and Scott can they find some big's that can step up?

Comments:
- 1&2 can't argue there....
- Your high on Conrad, maybe a little too high, they snuck up on teams last year, can they perform with a target on their backs?
- Hodgson plays St Thomas More early, but Marvel to Caravel will hurt, I would flop the two even with the addition of two top 9th graders Barnes and Rainford, plus their
schedule is still weak!
- Howard's bigs vs Hodgson guards, Blatch-Huggins sisters vs Braxton-Young twins, I'll go with Hodgson if they can push the tempo, but if Howard can get the ball in the
paint watch out!
- I would replace CR with Sussex Tech, just Haith alone isn't enough. This might change if Zoe fully recovers.
- Caravel transfer (see above) will bring some much needed toughness they might surprise . . .

Last edited:
Here is my way to early Top 10:

1. Ursuline
2. Sanford
3. Caravel
4. Hodgson
5. Conrad
6. St. E's
7. St Thomas More
9. Howard
10. Sussex Tech

Last edited:
I like Conrad but the big that is coming will be solid I don't think she will be that dominate to get to the chip. Although her size makes them hard to beat. but there points will still come from the sisters on that team. they will be in the top ten, but with he bulls eye on there backs can they handle the pressure of maintaining that pace..i still believe at the end of the season it will be Ursuline, and st. E

-I got a chance to check st. Elizabeth and caravel in a play day. and I am convinced that the top four teams this year are Sanford, Ursuline, St. Elizabeth, and Concord. With Caravel, Conrad, and Hodgson. I really thought St. Thomas more would hold up, Sanford was just to much for them. and Sanford doesn't have a bench. St. Elizabeth gave caravel problems with there deep bench. and inside presence while at times st. elizbeth struggled with there press. I'm sticking with my picks of ursuline and st. Elizabeth in the championship and with Sanford and concord rounding out the final four. but im not sure if concord will totally get there. senior Selby may not be playing this year due to her grades for concord.. not sure how true this is but we will see how they do.
-hodgson size will keep them from the final four as Sanford, ursuline, st. Elizabeth, and concord will beat them up in the paint.
-I though howard would fair better. they have up graded with two gaurds but for some reason they still struggle with turn overs. and its not from them. if they pound that ball to the older sister more they would fair a little better. I had high hopes for them. and they have ursuline on there schedule this year at home
-padua lost a lot offense than we thought. they are rebuilding. most of the offense will be around an incoming freshman
-st. georges was supposed to take step forward to getting better. and they took a step back with a whole new coaching staff that I hear is struggling with a team identity. not even the players know what they are doing.
- bright spot is that new coach at dover sounds like she will get her kids on the right track. we will see how they turn this program around
well here is the update so far- will keep you posted

Speaking of transfers the soph Combo guard for California Arch Bishop Molly at CR seems to be legit and will definitely help them.

Reactions: 84rider
Can't wait to see how they do against the better teams, but Conrad did what they were supposed to do to a lesser opponent yesterday led 65-10 after 3qtrs, final score 67-12.... 9th grader Julie Kulesza 15pts / 8th grader Stephanie Kulesza 18pts / 6'4" 8th grader Ja'nylah Whittlesey 11pts

They'll have a nice regular season run, but tough games are out there. They host Caravel the first Friday of 2017 and they're at Concord 13 days later, so aside from the She Got Game tourney, we'll find out a lot about Conrad during the middle part of the season.

Speaking of Concord, I don't see Aaliyah Selby's name on the roster, that's a huge blow for a team I thought would be a Final Four team this year.

Yea, I'm not ready to anoint Conrad the next best thing yet, not at least this year, Saw them in their scrimmage against Dover, they will struggle against athletic teams that get up and down the floor and who can shoot aka: Caravel, Concord or Hodgson. But their extremely young so the sky is the limit.

Speaking of Hodgson I think they will have a good early season test this week against CR and then STMA. Sussex Tech is still my downstate Henlopen dark horse.

Last edited:
Hodgson also has pretty much the Flight B championship game December 15th when they host Howard. As an aside, it's so stupid that eams only play each other once in conference games now.

Hodgson also has pretty much the Flight B championship game December 15th when they host Howard. As an aside, it's so stupid that eams only play each other once in conference games now.

you only get 20games might wanna see what else is out there besides conference teams

Notable in-state games involving the first week News Journal ranked teams:

(7) CR vs (8) Hodgson - Good test for both teams
(5) Carvel vs AI Dupont - My UPSET WATCH!!!! AI is playing well!!!!!
(9)Howard vs (6) Concord - Where is Selby ????, can Howard bigs have their way?
(8) Hodgson vs (10) St. Thomas More - STMA pretender or contender?

Last edited:
I'll be at Howard/Concord tomorrow, very interested to see how these two teams match up this year, especially since Concord made such quick work of Howard when they met last year.

AI's freshman guards look REALLY good, but that was against Tatnall and Wilmington Christian. Caravel's got a little more depth and they should win that one.

I'll be at Howard/Concord tomorrow, very interested to see how these two teams match up this year, especially since Concord made such quick work of Howard when they met last year.

AI's freshman guards look REALLY good, but that was against Tatnall and Wilmington Christian. Caravel's got a little more depth and they should win that one.

Your right thought AI/Caravel's score would be a lot closer;

Went to the Hodgson/CR game, very close throughout, Hodgson lead by 1 after 3, but CR just had a little more scoring at the end, plus some questionable calls by the ref didn't help the Silver Eagles. Both Ja-Naiah(23 pts - she's a baller!!!) and Kayla (19 pts) had good games. They need either Baskerville or Shaw or another big to step up for a third offense threat to improve on last year's success.

Last edited:
JPJ is fun to watch. She had a year alongside Mayes learning what it takes to be a floor general, so now the keys to that car are hers and she clearly knows how to drive it.

CR might be a Final Four sleeper, they've got the depth, scoring and talent necessary. They just have to work on not beating themselves, which is what happened against Conrad last year.

Conrad led 43 -1 @ halftime and coasted to a 49 - 10 victory
Competition level will increase drastically this coming weekend in DC at the Tina Thompson "She Got Game" Classsic

Concord beat Howard 63-51. If Concord had Selby to start this season, they'd easily be a top 4 or 5 team. Grant and Procak did a great job on the boards, Zhane Snow drove to the bucket at will and Jamiyah Dennis was taking and making volleyball line three-pointers. Howard has plenty of talent, but the young guards will get their trial-by-fire training this season. That game next week vs. Hodgson will tell how far they can go.

They'll have a nice regular season run, but tough games are out there. They host Caravel the first Friday of 2017 and they're at Concord 13 days later, so aside from the She Got Game tourney, we'll find out a lot about Conrad during the middle part of the season.

Speaking of Concord, I don't see Aaliyah Selby's name on the roster, that's a huge blow for a team I thought would be a Final Four team this year.

grades

STE vs CR tonight, should be a good game, if anyone goes please update score

Scoring Summary:
St. Eliz - Davis- (1 0-0 2), Metz- (1 1-2 4), McCarron-(1 0-2 2), Collins-(0 3-6 3), Speaks-(6 3-4 16), Smith-Hines-(0 0-0 0), Bromwell-(3 3-4 10), Lee-(5 1-2 11)

Totals:15 11-20 48

Caesar Rodney - Sebastian-(0 0-0 0), Scott-(0 0-0 0), Reid-(1 2-2 6), Gillette-(2 0-0 4), Kornegay-Lucas-(3 1-7 7), Brooks-(5 1-2 14), Haith-(5 2-3 12), Eaton-(0 1-2 1), Johnson-(2 2-4 6)

Totals:18 9-20 50

3-Point Goals:
CR-3 (Brooks 3)
ST E- 3 (Metz 1, Speaks 1, Bromwell 1)
Highlights:

It looks like CR's really going to be a team to be reckoned with all season long. Meanwhile, it's St. E's first game, but it seems like they have the same problem they did last year of putting teams away.

StE has really good girls but they have not gotten any better since they came in. Bromwell and Speaks both started varsity as freshmen and Metz suited up and played some. They have the experience teams dream of. But like someone said same ole song.

My sleeper is CR as well they can get it done. And Conrad will do fine this year just curious how they play the likes of Sanford and UA the real giants of DE.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT