ADVERTISEMENT

Hyland is a great player but.............

smashball22

Mascot
Jan 11, 2017
It`s was embarrassing for the players and spectators to see a coach let a player run wild on the court and do whatever he wants. That`s not coaching. If he does this in the flow of the game then that`s fantastic. But to come down the floor almost every possession and shoot 30-35 footers or throw up circus shots is not great coaching. Shame on you coach Griffin for lowering your standards to keep this young man from transferring (good chance he will leave you anyway). So coach you will have sold your soul for nothing. I`ve seen this team play enough to know this kid is only coachable when they are winning. If not he`s sulking. Griffin is only hurting this young man in the long run. Plus how about getting your other players more involved? The bench doesn`t look engaged at all. A good team will know how to stop Hyland like Frankford (not even a great squad) did in Philly last Friday. And they took the L up there because of BETTER coaching. They tried to make him give up his handle and he still tried to dribble thru the double team. And coaching staff said nothing to him(ever). Thus causing a turn over, this happened a few times. Frankford was only 3-5 but you could see there players are much better than what`s in Delaware. Is Hyland a great talent? absolutely. Not taking anything this young man. Just needs to be coached better. Although they were blown out at least Hodgson coach was coaching his players. When he would pull them out he was explaining what they did wrong on the floor. They will be fine, just very young.​

Last edited:
Reactions: soccer07
There was a college coach (Alcorn St) there. He was on his phone saying he forces most of his shots. Then he left mid way thru the 3rd. But you are correct, how is he making his teammates better. Not a lot of assists happening.

He avg 6ast per game....

That's pretty good!

They probably won't beat the better teams because those teams are simply better.

Did you say Alcorn State? lol
Kid already has official offers from Temple, St. Joseph's, Monmouth and Delaware to name a few.

Alcorn State has been over .500 once in the last 7yrs, probably because they can't see an obvious talent smh

Last edited:
He avg 6ast per game....

That's pretty good!

They probably won't beat the better teams because those teams are simply better.

Kid steady has official offers from Temple, St. Joseph's, Monmouth and Delaware to name a few.

Alcorn State has been over .500 once in the last 7yrs, probably because they can't see an obvious talent smh
Lol... Thats a good one...Did you just see him play Hodgson? ?? Everthing clear out.. One on one... Lol

Lol... Thats a good one...Did you just see him play Hodgson? ?? Everthing clear out.. One on one... Lol

I was at the game.

He shoots shots he can make, other don't have his ability to make those shots so it may look awkward.

Still shoots a high percentage.

As for the plays, those are actually sets that the coach is calling.

I was at the game.

He shoots shots he can make, other don't have his ability to make those shots so it may look awkward.

Still shoots a high percentage.

As for the plays, those are actually sets that the coach is calling.
Not hating on him.. He can definely go.. Lets be honest.. Up 30 going into 4th he still l In game shooting at a high rate. For wat???

Reactions: hoopsupstate
He avg 6ast per game....

That's pretty good!

Kid already has official offers from Temple, St. Joseph's, Monmouth and Delaware to name a few.

Just stating what most college coaches will look at. A kid who forces a lot of shots. Like I sad before a great talent but will have to become more coachable at the next level.

I disagree whole heartedly, college scouts look at potential.....skill set, abilities and education ie...grades. It sounds like sour grapes to me and I’m not sure why. I’m not gonna speculate on your reasons for this thread, only you know the real reason. I also seriously doubt a college scout would make a phone call about a player in the gym with people all around. Scouts travel and spend a lot of time on the Bluetooth while traveling. Usually their reports are done on line.

I disagree whole heartedly, college scouts look at potential.....skill set, abilities and education ie...grades. It sounds like sour grapes to me and I’m not sure why. I’m not gonna speculate on your reasons for this thread, only you know the real reason. I also seriously doubt a college scout would make a phone call about a player in the gym with people all around. Scouts travel and spend a lot of time on the Bluetooth while traveling. Usually their reports are done on line.
Lol

#1 Toughness/Competitiveness/Playing Hard/Motor
If you re-read above, you’ll notice that every coach said some version of this. Playing basketball is not easy, so college coaches need kids that are going to be tough, competitive, will play as hard as possible, and have a high motor. And the great thing about this is this is something all players have 100% control over!

#2 Skill Set
Of course, you have to be very skilled to play at the college level. A couple of the coaches naturally mentioned shooting specifically, but also talked about passing and dribbling as well. Getting your skills to a high enough level takes years and years, but it’s not all about scoring the ball!

#3 Attitude
This is a very under-rated trait that many players don’t realize coaches look for. How does a player react after a turnover or a mistake by a teammate? Does the player have energy when sitting on the bench? How does the player react to coaching or being subbed out of the game?

College coaches don’t want babies, whiners, pouters, and just generally players with poor attitudes! Again this is something that all player can absolutely control and change TODAY!

#4 Basketball IQ
If you don’t have a good basketball IQ, its tough to play at the collegiate or any professional basketball level. Basketball at that level is not simply a pick up game where it’s a free-for-all, which is one of the reasons why a lot of AAU play doesn’t translate at the next level.

Players must be able to think and run offenses and defenses, learn scouting reports, etc. Don’t forget about the mental side of the game. College coaches sure don’t!

What-College-Coaches-Look-For-in-Recruits-300x233.jpg
#5 Defense

The defense in many AAU basketball games is laughable, or rather, non-existent. Often times, players feel that they can simply focus on their offense, and the defensive side of the game doesn’t matter. False.

Players that earn a college basketball scholarship focuses on their defense as well. Remember Aaron Craft from Ohio State?

So there it is: the top 5 things college coaches look for during the college basketball recruiting period. Parents, relay the message to your child.

Players, try to implement the above 5 things in your games starting this weekend if you haven’t already. Lastly, coaches talk to your team and parents about these things. I guarantee it will help your kids be more successful on the court this spring and summer, and hopefully lead to college coaches taking notice!

#1 Toughness/Competitiveness/Playing Hard/Motor
If you re-read above, you’ll notice that every coach said some version of this. Playing basketball is not easy, so college coaches need kids that are going to be tough, competitive, will play as hard as possible, and have a high motor. And the great thing about this is this is something all players have 100% control over!

#2 Skill Set
Of course, you have to be very skilled to play at the college level. A couple of the coaches naturally mentioned shooting specifically, but also talked about passing and dribbling as well. Getting your skills to a high enough level takes years and years, but it’s not all about scoring the ball!

#3 Attitude
This is a very under-rated trait that many players don’t realize coaches look for. How does a player react after a turnover or a mistake by a teammate? Does the player have energy when sitting on the bench? How does the player react to coaching or being subbed out of the game?

College coaches don’t want babies, whiners, pouters, and just generally players with poor attitudes! Again this is something that all player can absolutely control and change TODAY!

#4 Basketball IQ
If you don’t have a good basketball IQ, its tough to play at the collegiate or any professional basketball level. Basketball at that level is not simply a pick up game where it’s a free-for-all, which is one of the reasons why a lot of AAU play doesn’t translate at the next level.

Players must be able to think and run offenses and defenses, learn scouting reports, etc. Don’t forget about the mental side of the game. College coaches sure don’t!

What-College-Coaches-Look-For-in-Recruits-300x233.jpg
#5 Defense

The defense in many AAU basketball games is laughable, or rather, non-existent. Often times, players feel that they can simply focus on their offense, and the defensive side of the game doesn’t matter. False.

Players that earn a college basketball scholarship focuses on their defense as well. Remember Aaron Craft from Ohio State?

So there it is: the top 5 things college coaches look for during the college basketball recruiting period. Parents, relay the message to your child.

Players, try to implement the above 5 things in your games starting this weekend if you haven’t already. Lastly, coaches talk to your team and parents about these things. I guarantee it will help your kids be more successful on the court this spring and summer, and hopefully lead to college coaches taking notice!
Ok @84rider. .. He get it..lol.. Enough teaching today...

that's a list of the top 5 things college scouts are looking for in a high school player, that list was comprised from scouts from the SEC,A-10,CAA & Big East

@Hoopsdownstate2 , lol, just keeping it real.....just drives me crazy when people with a negative agenda start taking shots at kids that are handling there business.......crabs, just saying
Lmao... Thought he was trying to have a little debate... Its been quiet on the board.. Everybody agreeing with each other...lol

Nah not really, Sallies vs St Marks tonight might be the best matchup...Tuesday will be good

CR twice, Sussex Tech, St. George’s...Idk those are 4 games vs Top 10 teams still left on their schedule.
Only 1 of those games on the road... But not smooth selling at all... They can easily loose 2 of those games.. If not focused... C.R and Cape always split...

There was a college coach (Alcorn St) there. He was on his phone saying he forces most of his shots. Then he left mid way thru the 3rd. But you are correct, how is he making his teammates better. Not a lot of assists happening.
Hodgson game was a joke, couldn’t beat any gd jv teams! He was there to do one thing score 50+! Now tomorrow when he scores 40+ again question what you want your favorite player isn’t as gd as him

Alcorn State hasn't been relevant since Larry Mr. Mean Smith was there, so that's an opinion not even worth mentioning.

If you don't want Hyland to drop 50 on your head - stop him. Really that simple. And if Phil Martelli comes to see you, then clearly he doesn't have a problem with the shooting. A lot of sour grapes and anonymous potshots on this board.

Y’all some hating ass old head on here! Bones is pound for pound best player in the state and put the ball in the ****ing basket!!! He is going to go to college for free!! So keep that negative shit somewhere else! Because as soon as y’all see him in person y’all all in his face!! Let that kid keep tearing this state up!! I don’t need to hide behind a user name! This Roe Burton that went to Howard!!

Y’all some hating ass old head on here! Bones is pound for pound best player in the state and put the ball in the ****ing basket!!! He is going to go to college for free!! So keep that negative shit somewhere else! Because as soon as y’all see him in person y’all all in his face!! Let that kid keep tearing this state up!! I don’t need to hide behind a user name! This Roe Burton that went to Howard!!
We could extend that pass Delaware to nationally, I would go as far as to say if rankings were legit evaluations rather than bias opinions manipulated by paid under the table by sneaker company evaluators, (Eric Bossi, Fran Frashila etc) he would be a top 50 kid in his class based on performance alone.

Reactions: Tru_basketballfan
Lol.... Great player. . but he is not best recruit. In DE.. Davis is... Just visited Duke. ...
We could extend that pass Delaware to nationally, I would go as far as to say if rankings were legit evaluations rather than bias opinions manipulated by paid under the table by sneaker company evaluators, (Eric Bossi, Fran Frashila etc) he would be a top 50 kid in his class based on performance alone.
Hard to say top 50.... Playing against talent in DE... Lets face it... Teams upstate this year are horrible this year besides Penn and Sanford.... Davis by far the best recruit out DE.. Just visited Duke... Like Hyland but in one on one jacking way deep all over court will not fly in college big difference between Davis is Davis can play in the flow of the game and Hyland forces way too many shots.. Not going work in a high D1 school... But great DE player though....

Bones would be pound for pound to you... Since he torched a jv team like Howard....only tearing up them scrub teams from upstate... But if you shoot 30 plus times a game.. Some will fall.. Thats wat we do on this forum is disagree. .. If you dont like wat we say log off... Just our opinions...

Last edited:
How Bones do tonight? ??
I didn't mean that to be negative. The kid is incredibly talented. He'll get away with that body playing HS basketball in Delaware. At the next level, he'd be best served if he he added some girth to his frame.

Reactions: 84rider
Bones would be pound for pound to you... Since he torched a jv team like Howard....only tearing up them scrub teams from upstate... But if you shoot 30 plus times a game.. Some will fall.. Thats wat we do on this forum is disagree. .. If you dont like wat we say log off... Just our opinions...
Honestly **** your opinion and i graduated from Howard in 2004. Whoever they have on that team now has nothing to do with me! Bones can flat out play!! He puts up numbers on the circuit as well. He is going to be cool. When you see him on tv killing shit don’t be talking about i knew he could do it!! They live and die with him putting shots up!

I didn't mean that to be negative. The kid is incredibly talented. He'll get away with that body playing HS basketball in Delaware. At the next level, he'd be best served if he he added some girth to his frame.
When he get to college of course they going to put him on a weight plan!! His mom is slim built and tall So it just might just be in his genes! He still can add strength

Reactions: 84rider
Honestly **** your opinion and i graduated from Howard in 2004. Whoever they have on that team now has nothing to do with me! Bones can flat out play!! He puts up numbers on the circuit as well. He is going to be cool. When you see him on tv killing shit don’t be talking about i knew he could do it!! They live and die with him putting shots up!
Honestly hope he make to the NBA. .. But you younger kids are so sensitive.. Iam from the old school... We use to love when people pick out different parts of our game that we need to work on.... You act like we said. He is sorry and cant play.. No one on here said that... We commented on the very weak teams he play and different parts of his game he need to work...By the way. Graduated Cape 76 .. Back to back state champions. .

When he get to college of course they going to put him on a weight plan!! His mom is slim built and tall So it just might just be in his genes! He still can add strength

He will fill out to where his body is meant to be. At a D1 program that will be maximized. Plenty of skinny players have thrived in college. If you can play you can play!

I can think of a few players that have the skinny gene and did alright, Rip Hamilton, Reggie Miller, Tayshaun Prince, Brandon Ingram, etc

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT