ADVERTISEMENT

Hyland is a great player but.............

Charles Rayne years?
No he was 80 and 81... We would of smoked Indian River then..lol . I had the 2 best players to ever play highschool basketball on the same team in DE... Bishop and Ayers... Purnell just made it to Hall of Fame De.. Which was a crime. Bishop and Jimmy Allen already in baskstball hall of fame... Thats 3 players made the hall of fame in De.. That played on same team.. We had a dream team..lol

Reactions: Can_you_feel_me
My 84 chip team was good but not even close to that Cape team, we went 25-3 and would of lost to that team 10 times out of 10 imo

Reactions: Can_you_feel_me
It`s was embarrassing for the players and spectators to see a coach let a player run wild on the court and do whatever he wants. That`s not coaching. If he does this in the flow of the game then that`s fantastic. But to come down the floor almost every possession and shoot 30-35 footers or throw up circus shots is not great coaching. Shame on you coach Griffin for lowering your standards to keep this young man from transferring (good chance he will leave you anyway). So coach you will have sold your soul for nothing. I`ve seen this team play enough to know this kid is only coachable when they are winning. If not he`s sulking. Griffin is only hurting this young man in the long run. Plus how about getting your other players more involved? The bench doesn`t look engaged at all. A good team will know how to stop Hyland like Frankford (not even a great squad) did in Philly last Friday. And they took the L up there because of BETTER coaching. They tried to make him give up his handle and he still tried to dribble thru the double team. And coaching staff said nothing to him(ever). Thus causing a turn over, this happened a few times. Frankford was only 3-5 but you could see there players are much better than what`s in Delaware. Is Hyland a great talent? absolutely. Not taking anything this young man. Just needs to be coached better. Although they were blown out at least Hodgson coach was coaching his players. When he would pull them out he was explaining what they did wrong on the floor. They will be fine, just very young.​
I agree with you about the coach I'm not particularly a fan of his for many reasons but as far as the kid goes lets get a few things straight. Unless your a blind man you can see that he makes plays for his team mates on drive and kicks for jump shots or penetrations and drop offs to the big man and 8 out of 10 times they lose the ball or miss lay ups and shots. Hodgson's coach was brain dead cause he didnt switch defenses up so he allowed Bones to destroy the guy in front of him thats the coaches fault. Next good coaches have thrown a box and one on him please sir tell me the other player on the team that is actually a ball handler? Oh thats right none of them are ball handlers they can't handle pressure so Bones has to dribble through double teams. Am I saying thats right? No I'm not but sadly the team is that bad that he has to do bad things and pick up bad habits for them to be successful. Now as far as this lie about him being un coachable and sulking when he is losing. He was having a horrible game against Newark and he was cheering his teammates on and passing them the ball telling them that they would hit the next shot that is a good team mate. If he perfect? No! can he snap on a team mate from time to time of course IT HAPPENS but he is a sweet kid who is always smiling and joking and ALL the kids love him. The fact of the matter is this Bones isn't bad for basketball here basketball here is bad for Bones. The talent level is terrible the IQ level is terrible and the coaching is terrible but we want to blame the good players for that. Its not their fault they are playing in a BAD environment.....

Bones would be an animal in all 50 states. The kid can just flat out play and in my opinion based on performance alone, he is the best talent in the state. Seen him on under armour, high iq, floor general that makes everyone around him better. I can only imagine how good he's going to be once he starts putting on some muscle.

Bones would be an animal in all 50 states. The kid can just flat out play and in my opinion based on performance alone, he is the best talent in the state. Seen him on under armour, high iq, floor general that makes everyone around him better. I can only imagine how good he's going to be once he starts putting on some muscle.
He is going to be fine especially when he gets around other players who play at a high level. As far as his body because of his build he will never be a muscle man lol but he can build strength to deal with the punishment of going to the rim

In all honesty Hyland has to literally do it all for that team to be anywhere near competitive. I’m actually impressed that he’s a willing passer in most occasions. Does he force shots from time to time? Sure! But every legitimate scorer (at any level) will force shots. No disrespect to any kid in St. George’s roster, but if you take Huland off that team they wouldn’t win 5 games! The don’t have anything that’s even remotely close to a ball handler on that team. I think what folks are failing to realize is Hyland isn’t a point guard! But he has no choice on that team. Which makes it even more tragic that they couldn’t seal the deal last year when their point guard was POY (Kyson Rawls). That was their shot at a title! I’m actually impressed with the confidence he shows in his teammates this season. He gets the most out of them without question! I do like the skill set of the big fella they have. Could the coach draw up a few more plays for him? Run more of a 2 man game with him n Hyland... I think so. But that coach is doing the exact same thing that any high school coach in DE would do with St. George’s roster! Any of the better teams in the state will game plan to get the ball out of Hylands hands and make someone else beat them. It’s not brain surgery. So instead of killing the coach/kid, how about we address the lack of common sense coaching going on in this state! I’d be willing to bet that Hyland is top 5 in the state in assist. But let’s remember. It’s only an assist if your teammate makes the shot! I see Hyland as being highly productive in college in a system where he can run off screens. But him handling the ball as much as he is this year will only help his game at the next level! Let’s appreciate a kid that’s averaging probably 30pts n 6-7 assist and probably 8 rebounds! And puts the work in to become a better player. That’s pretty dam impressive!!! But maybe I’m crazy? Just my 2 cents... What do I know.

#1 Toughness/Competitiveness/Playing Hard/Motor
If you re-read above, you’ll notice that every coach said some version of this. Playing basketball is not easy, so college coaches need kids that are going to be tough, competitive, will play as hard as possible, and have a high motor. And the great thing about this is this is something all players have 100% control over!

#2 Skill Set
Of course, you have to be very skilled to play at the college level. A couple of the coaches naturally mentioned shooting specifically, but also talked about passing and dribbling as well. Getting your skills to a high enough level takes years and years, but it’s not all about scoring the ball!

#3 Attitude
This is a very under-rated trait that many players don’t realize coaches look for. How does a player react after a turnover or a mistake by a teammate? Does the player have energy when sitting on the bench? How does the player react to coaching or being subbed out of the game?

College coaches don’t want babies, whiners, pouters, and just generally players with poor attitudes! Again this is something that all player can absolutely control and change TODAY!

#4 Basketball IQ
If you don’t have a good basketball IQ, its tough to play at the collegiate or any professional basketball level. Basketball at that level is not simply a pick up game where it’s a free-for-all, which is one of the reasons why a lot of AAU play doesn’t translate at the next level.

Players must be able to think and run offenses and defenses, learn scouting reports, etc. Don’t forget about the mental side of the game. College coaches sure don’t!

What-College-Coaches-Look-For-in-Recruits-300x233.jpg
#5 Defense

The defense in many AAU basketball games is laughable, or rather, non-existent. Often times, players feel that they can simply focus on their offense, and the defensive side of the game doesn’t matter. False.

Players that earn a college basketball scholarship focuses on their defense as well. Remember Aaron Craft from Ohio State?

So there it is: the top 5 things college coaches look for during the college basketball recruiting period. Parents, relay the message to your child.

Players, try to implement the above 5 things in your games starting this weekend if you haven’t already. Lastly, coaches talk to your team and parents about these things. I guarantee it will help your kids be more successful on the court this spring and summer, and hopefully lead to college coaches taking notice!

Also add being unselfish...every college coach I speak with says yes the ability and skill set but more importantly being unselfish as a player. This is a top team in college who coach told me that. In college you can't run a successful team if you have a player thinking he hasn't shot the ball enough. The best shot might be one pass away! Therefore, being unselfish is more important than your individual ability.

We could extend that pass Delaware to nationally, I would go as far as to say if rankings were legit evaluations rather than bias opinions manipulated by paid under the table by sneaker company evaluators, (Eric Bossi, Fran Frashila etc) he would be a top 50 kid in his class based on performance alone.

As someone who travels dealing in H.S basketball...no he wouldn't be top 50.

St. Georges coach is horrible. If he could coach and draw up plays they could be a much better team. Bones is a point guard and a very good one if I might say. I love his disposition on the court against Sanford. If you really think about him being a jr and still having another year (or two) to get better and stronger it should be scary. I just need him to leave Delaware. Yea yea yea say what you wish but the coaching and competition is terrible. Proof was against Sanford...they prolly would've lost the game but not by 20 plus. If the coach could've drawn up a play to where there were screens on the ball and off...however, it didn't happen and Bones was left to try to create something. He can go to Jersey or he can go to PA. Go across the bridge and try to get on with Gonzaga! They have a few D1 seniors leaving and a great sophomore in Terrance Williams. Bones just can't keep wasting his talent with this coach and lack of competition! For those saying Bones is a SG....you're stuck living and watching Delaware basketball. He's what a legit 6'3? With good handle and good passing ability and he can score. That's a combo that will get you nice offers. He just needs to be with a program that will maximize his talents not stump his growth as a player.

As someone who travels dealing in H.S basketball...no he wouldn't be top 50.
Then u know Rankings are 50/50 @ best. Ficticous and political for many but there are legitimate kids who deserve it. The ranker ranks or evaluates kids based on who pays them majority of the time. Biancardi, Bossi are owned by Nike others are owned by Adidas and under armour. The name of the game is to find kids who would one day be able to market their shoes. Basically rankings are political, so bones or any talented kid can be top 50. Other than obvious undeniable elite talent most rankings are paid opinions.

Then u know Rankings are 50/50 @ best. Ficticous and political for many but there are legitimate kids who deserve it. The ranker ranks or evaluates kids based on who pays them majority of the time. Biancardi, Bossi are owned by Nike others are owned by Adidas and under armour. The name of the game is to find kids who would one day be able to market their shoes. Basically rankings are political, so bones or any talented kid can be top 50. Other than obvious undeniable elite talent most rankings are paid opinions.
He's not top 50...I like him...don't like him playing here any longer...but not top 50

Reactions: J12
He's not top 50...I like him...don't like him playing here any longer...but not top 50
Neither do I, think delaware will destroy him. We can disagree on the rankings because at the end of the day nobody that matters like the college coaches or nba scouts take that shit serious. Most i talk to think its laughable. Nobody is giving away money based on an opinion not verified by themselves or their experts.

Davis already has offers from Miami,Florida, and St. Johns... Not likely take any of those... He is a lock to go North Carolina, Duke, or Kentucky. . Where ever he wants to go... Davis is perfectly fine with Stan... Stan has name out there loud and clear... Sounds real crazy to leave Sanford and you have a coach is part of USA team staff...

Reactions: jvm3 and J12
Davis already has offers from Miami,Florida, and St. Johns... Not likely take any of those... He is a lock to go North Carolina, Duke, or Kentucky. . Where ever he wants to go... Davis is perfectly fine with Stan... Stan has name out there loud and clear... Sounds real crazy to leave Sanford and you have a coach is part of USA team staff...
Davis is fine at Sanford. Bones is the one that needs to split. Davis however sits bench at the schools u mentioned, north Carolina, duke, Kentucky because, however talented, he does not play hard especially on defense.

Reactions: J12 and theWILL2WIN
Davis is fine at Sanford. Bones is the one that needs to split. Davis however sits bench at the schools u mentioned, north Carolina, duke, Kentucky because, however talented, he does not play hard especially on defense.
We going revisited this question in 3 years...lol.. Easy fix to play defense.. He still got 2 years left. He definely wont be sitting on bench..

We going revisited this question in 3 years...lol.. Easy fix to play defense.. He still got 2 years left. He definely wont be sitting on bench..
Not in the current environment of youth sports. Today when kids show promise they become surrounded by enablers, yes men trying to get a buck or become somebody of the backs of kids. Rarely do they get blatant honesty which keeps them hungry. Parents also start believing the praise and become arrogant. Hopefully this is not the case with him for his sake.

Not in the current environment of youth sports. Today when kids show promise they become surrounded by enablers, yes men trying to get a buck or become somebody of the backs of kids. Rarely do they get blatant honesty which keeps them hungry. Parents also start believing the praise and become arrogant. Hopefully this is not the case with him for his sake.
100% agree...

Like he said only Cape can beat Cape including those 4 games!
U can literally say that about any team that is competitive. I don’t see Cape sweeping those 4 games even if your are a Cape fan...Henlopen North just too competitive this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 84rider
St. Georges coach is horrible. If he could coach and draw up plays they could be a much better team. Bones is a point guard and a very good one if I might say. I love his disposition on the court against Sanford. If you really think about him being a jr and still having another year (or two) to get better and stronger it should be scary. I just need him to leave Delaware. Yea yea yea say what you wish but the coaching and competition is terrible. Proof was against Sanford...they prolly would've lost the game but not by 20 plus. If the coach could've drawn up a play to where there were screens on the ball and off...however, it didn't happen and Bones was left to try to create something. He can go to Jersey or he can go to PA. Go across the bridge and try to get on with Gonzaga! They have a few D1 seniors leaving and a great sophomore in Terrance Williams. Bones just can't keep wasting his talent with this coach and lack of competition! For those saying Bones is a SG....you're stuck living and watching Delaware basketball. He's what a legit 6'3? With good handle and good passing ability and he can score. That's a combo that will get you nice offers. He just needs to be with a program that will maximize his talents not stump his growth as a player.
If he would have left Delaware after last year & reclassed repeating his sophomore year this year like Eric Ayala (who is committed to Maryland) then I think he would go big time. People around here sometimes frown upon the “reclassing” but that’s the way it is done all around our surrounding states...you mentioned Gonzaga’s nationally ranked sophomore Terrance Williams over there in D.C. who is a reclass himself. Hyland would have gotten that extra year of recruitment, stronger, would be going head-to-head w/ other big time recruits on his team instead of practicing everyday w/ his inferior teammates at St. George’s & his exposure would be A LOT higher playing against other top ranked players during the season. Say what you want but when our top players leave DE their recruitment widens...only a very select few that stick around go to the big schools.

Last edited:
Mr. Jordon said when people re class... Simply cheating your way threw basketball.. I 100% agree.. I can see if you wanted to move up and graduate early like Bagely 3rd at Duke.. Then i agree but get held back a year to play against lesser talent... Please.. Makes them all weak and afraid of competition. .. Imo

Mr. Jordon said when people re class... Simply cheating your way threw basketball.. I 100% agree.. I can see if you wanted to move up and graduate early like Bagely 3rd at Duke.. Then i agree but get held back a year to play against lesser talent... Please.. Makes them all weak and afraid of competition. .. Imo
So you believe Eric Ayala and Trey Duval are weak and afraid of competition? Thats what your saying right?

No he was 80 and 81... We would of smoked Indian River then..lol . I had the 2 best players to ever play highschool basketball on the same team in DE... Bishop and Ayers... Purnell just made it to Hall of Fame De.. Which was a crime. Bishop and Jimmy Allen already in baskstball hall of fame... Thats 3 players made the hall of fame in De.. That played on same team.. We had a dream team..lol
My memory is failing me. I thought Rayne was a Cape guy. He went to Indian River?

So you believe Eric Ayala and Trey Duval are weak and afraid of competition? Thats what your saying right?
Yes 100%.... Both 4 years in college.... Just imagine if they was with there original class.. Smh.. Same with Gonzaga Williams... I can see if its for grades failing but to re class to make it easier. .please.. Iam from the oldschool.. Thats cheating.. Period. That means you dont trust your skill level at all.. Get in the gym and put in the work. Dont take the easy way out... Weak move... Imo

If reclassification is cheating then take away one of your 2 state titles bc Purnell was 2 years older than his class (wasn't eligible to play as a senior).

No matter what cream rise to the top. Another year just gives a kid the chance to grow and mature mentally, physically and emotionally.

Reactions: basketball24/7
If reclassification is cheating then take away one of your 2 state titles bc Purnell was 2 years older than his class (wasn't eligible to play as a senior).

No matter what cream rise to the top. Another year just gives a kid the chance to grow and mature mentally, physically and emotionally.
That had nothing do with it.. He played the 3 years he was elible.. He wasnt that smart earlier in his school years and failed twice... You better get your facts straight. . Big difference in just holding a kid back for getting an edge in sports... No your facts son.. I was there...

Read rule book... Smh

My fault.. I forgot.. We in a whole different generation.. Guess its cool when you play aau and play higher level competition and realise your skills aint there yet.. We going re class to get a better edge... Smh.. Guess thats the cool thing now of days...

Dont matter. He was 19 playing as a jr my man. Thats facts. So he in essence was a reclass just not by choice. Still a great player. Just kills your logic.
Guess you slow now.. No such thing not reclass by choice... He wasnt brain smarts like that in the books.. You can try and explain all you want about re class all you want... To get hold back on purposes and not for grades is very weak and dont trust your skills...

If reclass can save a family $.01 - $180,000
then reclass they should. It's a very smart play and within the rules.

After all a 19 yr old jr lead you to the promise land. Maybe you should have reclassed and you might have gotten some play

both of you are making solid points, I understand where Can_you_feel_me is coming from, if basketball is your shot at a free education, then work the system....I'm from the same era as Hoopsdownstate2 and that just didn't happen back in the day. you worked your tail off to get a scholarship. its just a generational issue lol

both of you are making solid points, I understand where Can_you_feel_me is coming from, if basketball is your shot at a free education, then work the system....I'm from the same era as Hoopsdownstate2 and that just didn't happen back in the day. you worked your tail off to get a scholarship. its just a generational issue lol
Yea you right... Nice debate though.. Lol.

Reactions: 84rider
If reclass can save a family $.01 - $180,000
then reclass they should. It's a very smart play and within the rules.

After all a 19 yr old jr lead you to the promise land. Maybe you should have reclassed and you might have gotten some play
Him and Bishop... But that was a good one... Lol...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT