ADVERTISEMENT

Hypothetical Matchups

DEfootballFan6

Getting reps on JV
Dec 1, 2021
Everyone here seems to have been following HS for many years and have witnessed some great teams. If you could play matchmaker, give me some matchups of great teams from the past that you would have liked to see play each and why? It could even be 2 teams from the same school. Example. Last years Smyrna team had a dominant defense, I would love to see how that D would matchup with the Nolan/Will offense or one of the Newark teams vs Red Lion (Sills) team.

There has been different styles over the years . Dickinson back in the day was tough. Indian River had a good run. Caravel had some great teams years ago. Newark in the 80's. Wm Penn had some teams with lots of great players. It is a fun hypothetical question though.

Reactions: DEfootballFan6
Last year's Smyrna team was quite impressive to watch and I would love to see them go against probably the 99 Newark team. Just because that was the the one that had both Harris brothers on it. And it wasn't just them.
I believe every lineman played D2 or better and their running back was quick and tough to bring down. Hell even their kicker was able to bang in 45 yard FGs. That would be a great match up to see

Big difference between the Newark teams in the 84 and 85 seasons and any team from MT and Smyrna now. MT and Smyrna can't survive without kids transferring in. Newark did it those years without the need. I played against Newark those two years and I think one of those teams had around 11 guys go 1AA or better. One of those years they beat JFK out of Jersey.

Big difference between the Newark teams in the 84 and 85 seasons and any team from MT and Smyrna now. MT and Smyrna can't survive without kids transferring in. Newark did it those years without the need. I played against Newark those two years and I think one of those teams had around 11 guys go 1AA or better. One of those years they beat JFK out of Jersey.
That MT team was 2012. Not 2014.

Would have been a blow out. Delmar would struggle with Mtown who had Brandon Brown and Elias brothers of that same era. Newark was a different beast. That squad had 3 pros on it.
Seems like Delmar blew Middletown out during one of those years in a state final. (36-7 in 2001). Middletown had the 3 years previous 97-99 and I remember them being pretty good as well. Delmars best 2 years in that run the won they championship by 4 TD each year and were unchallenged the entire way. So, again Newark may have been too physical but id like too see it.

Could be a blow out but I'd like to see it.

Last edited:
I'm showing my age but the 1958/59 Sals teams gave up a total of 15 points over a two year span. They only played two or three DE schools at that time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT