ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting question I saw posted on Facebook: Why are 0 players from Delaware in NBA?

Lil ole Chester has 4, Philadelphia plenty, Jersey plenty, Maryland/DC plenty, why 0 for us?

instead parents helping kids work on their game to play for big aau programs to get exposure (wer1, team final, south jersey jazz) parents rather make their kids feel good by making there own aau team where they play in meaningless tournaments

A lot of it to me is we don't have a lot of kids going to mid-major/major D1 programs, I think that has to do with a small-state bias. Chester's much closer to Philly, NJ has the NY connection and of course the DMV is a metro area all its own.

Those scouts also look at the competition here in DE and say "Well how good can the kid be?" It's unfair, but all it takes is one or two kids getting to NBA to change a few minds.

Reactions: basketball24/7
It's all due to the lack of competent coaching. Through the years there have been several players with enough talent to make it to the league, but failed to develop to their full potential. The one exception I would say is Stan Waterman. He has a really special player right now in Connor Rufo and I'm really excited to see what he has in store for the rest of his career.

Reactions: hoopsupstate
It's all due to the lack of competent coaching. Through the years there have been several players with enough talent to make it to the league, but failed to develop to their full potential. The one exception I would say is Stan Waterman. He has a really special player right now in Connor Rufo and I'm really excited to see what he has in store for the rest of his career.
Honestly if the NBA doesn't work out for him, he could have a career as a bodybuilder... those arms my goodness

Profit went to the league because he had size at his position. When he played there was multiple players in DE that were as gd or better but they weren't 6'6". I believe that sums it up. Height is the #1 factor I believe

For the most part, it is the coaching that players get in college that gets them to the NBA. The guys that have the talent, get the D-1 scholarships. It is what happens after that which will get them to the NBA, if they are good enough. Also don't discount the influx of foreign born players, that are decreasing the number of slots for Americans in general. These players are coming here with more well rounded games, a result of a different style of play. That is something to think about.

Most kids with talent in DE are pampered resulting in them lacking the skills and work ethic to make it through a few seasons on a good D1 program.

Simply put, if you are 6'3 to 6'4 in Delaware you play power forward or center. A lot of these kids don't learn how to dribble with both hands and if they do they dribble it's with their head down. They are told in Delaware to stay around the paint instead of learning to shot the ball from outside. They are mismanaged by coaches that want to win now they are not cultivated to be guards and that's what they really should be, just my opinion

Simply put, if you are 6'3 to 6'4 in Delaware you play power forward or center. A lot of these kids don't learn how to dribble with both hands and if they do they dribble it's with their head down. They are told in Delaware to stay around the paint instead of learning to shot the ball from outside. They are mismanaged by coaches that want to win now they are not cultivated to be guards and that's what they really should be, just my opinion
Its all about the coaches are so slow and behind time its starting to get hard to watch... So scared to change up offenses ... Watched alot teams run same old plays year in year out... Until the coaches get better might get 1 in NBA evey 12 -15 years ..

Kids don't play enough basketball here in Delaware. There are very few outside courts to play in and very few gyms that allow kids to come and play on a regular basis. Kids lack true skill on the court and very few have that competitive drive and mentality. If there was somewhere to play 10 years ago when I was coming up we were there. Even if it was at 7am outside we played. These kids for the most part won't even be awake at that time. So the few who are dedicated to their craft are the one's who stand out and the rest may have potential but no work ethic.

DIAA archaic restrictions, poor coaching, terrible weak game officiating, closed minded ass backwards institutions. Coaches that only care about Delaware success even if that means a kid doesn't develope skillsets to go further. To better the game in this state & produce that level talent requires vision & unselfishness, unfortunately the climate down here by design resist any kid of progressive change. The talented kids who leave have the best shot @ making it.

This thread is dumb Delaware is the second smallest state just look at other small states like Rhode Island and Maine they are in the same boat more people equals more chances of one being a NBA players ... which is why they will come along 1 at a time and likely far apart i.e. Trey duval anybody who says he doesn't have the best chance is crazy

Reactions: Lazertron
Kids don't play enough basketball here in Delaware. There are very few outside courts to play in and very few gyms that allow kids to come and play on a regular basis. Kids lack true skill on the court and very few have that competitive drive and mentality. If there was somewhere to play 10 years ago when I was coming up we were there. Even if it was at 7am outside we played. These kids for the most part won't even be awake at that time. So the few who are dedicated to their craft are the one's who stand out and the rest may have potential but no work ethic.
Big reason big city's like New York and philly are successful there surrounded by courts and kids with a need for something to do

This thread is dumb Delaware is the second smallest state just look at other small states like Rhode Island and Maine they are in the same boat more people equals more chances of one being a NBA players ... which is why they will come along 1 at a time and likely far apart i.e. Trey duval anybody who says he doesn't have the best chance is crazy
Agreed. You can't teach/coach someone to grow taller. If you don't have hyper speed, hyper strength, or extra-ordinary size, you can't be special. Whose special? Go to Slam Dunk and you will see special. It jumps out at you plain as day. Coaches, rules, DIAA, and don't forget PARENTS blowing smoke up every kids azz, please. Who has had the most tools of late to come out of Delaware? AJ English. Special? I thought so. Hadn't happened. Like someone else, getting school out of it is an amazing accomplishment.

Agreed. You can't teach/coach someone to grow taller. If you don't have hyper speed, hyper strength, or extra-ordinary size, you can't be special. Whose special? Go to Slam Dunk and you will see special. It jumps out at you plain as day. Coaches, rules, DIAA, and don't forget PARENTS blowing smoke up every kids azz, please. Who has had the most tools of late to come out of Delaware? AJ English. Special? I thought so. Hadn't happened. Like someone else, getting school out of it is an amazing accomplishment.
Those schools offer incentives to those kids & see them as an investment in their brand, name me a Delaware school that shares the same philosophy. They represent what sallies, Sanford, St. Marks etc can develop but that requires vision & forward progressive thinking. Muhammad bamba, Nazi Reid, Cameron Reddish are not going to those schools without an incentive. That incentive is great free education, great coaching, more national exposure all supported by a motivated parent/investor/fan. Delaware does not have this at our privates. Our privates are more concerned with keeping certain people out and remaining elitist colonies.

It's all about feeding out kids negativity, if it comes from the top then the top needs to stop

Not a good thread!
How many kids that play basketball in DE go on to be professionals in other careers? Better question!!!
You would have to start a business thread but I think the focus here is basketball & growing the game. Why do basketball threads get twisted into kids not achieving in life? Never see this with soccer, lacrosse or baseball. I think sucess in sports, academics, business work together so I don't see the negative. The lessons of discipline, hard work, team play, overcoming challenges, determination I think are assets to have in business, especially marketing. Good student athlete's are usually more well rounded individuals & I enjoy hiring them.

Those schools offer incentives to those kids & see them as an investment in their brand, name me a Delaware school that shares the same philosophy. They represent what sallies, Sanford, St. Marks etc can develop but that requires vision & forward progressive thinking. Muhammad bamba, Nazi Reid, Cameron Reddish are not going to those schools without an incentive. That incentive is great free education, great coaching, more national exposure all supported by a motivated parent/investor/fan. Delaware does not have this at our privates. Our privates are more concerned with keeping certain people out and remaining elitist colonies.
Up front - I have always respected and enjoyed reading your views and thoughts on high school athletics.
Now - Just about everything you mentioned is absolutely what is wrong with inter-scholastics athletics. High school student/athletes are just that. Students first. At the college level yrs. back it was about degree and move on the the pro's if able, life with an education. The new college experience is 1 and done Kentucky. Now its the "Branded" high school, incentives etc.. is better now??
It seems everyone is out to make money off kids backs from AAU to Mark Sills. Yes, the Salesianum player was held to an academic standard and left for softer pastures and lives with his AAU coach in Jersey now. These kids are treated like cattle with everyone around them waiting to hook onto the next Iverson. How many kids get grades changed, have a gpa below 2.0 and can't go anywhere and become the next "Hood Hero" with their best days behind them.
As for the privates, Friends is riding a minority, Sanford goes without saying, St. Andrews just graduated a few, Salesianum tried, Caravel yes.. Poor attempt of a race card play.
SCHOOL-EDUCATION. You can't wash out with a torn ACL.

You would have to start a business thread but I think the focus here is basketball & growing the game. Why do basketball threads get twisted into kids not achieving in life? Never see this with soccer, lacrosse or baseball. I think sucess in sports, academics, business work together so I don't see the negative. The lessons of discipline, hard work, team play, overcoming challenges, determination I think are assets to have in business, especially marketing. Good student athlete's are usually more well rounded individuals & I enjoy hiring them.
Because most of those sports don't have people around them pushing Pro's/Pro's/Pro's. I've been around a lot of baseball kids who, at the age of 7-12, talk about going pro someday. By the time they are in high school the game has taken on a new meaning, a vehicle to get you into a college. When all is said and done they get a degree and job. I have heard 16/17 kids say they're going pro(basketball). I tell them they better get good a school quick, because they would already be identified and at Sanford....

Philly has 23 Cramers to put this in basic terms. You have to be TALL, athletic & get good enough as a wing before a Delaware high school pins you on the block & makes you a 6"4 center, that's a pg in the NBA. You don't even have the ball handling to be an undersized 3.

Reactions: 84rider
Philly has 23 Cramers to put this in basic terms. You have to be TALL, athletic & get good enough as a wing before a Delaware high school pins you on the block & makes you a 6"4 center, that's a pg in the NBA. You don't even have the ball handling to be an undersized 3.
agree

Not sure, read somewhere he was born in Florida but it ain't where you're from it's where you're at!

Reactions: soccer07
Up front - I have always respected and enjoyed reading your views and thoughts on high school athletics.
Now - Just about everything you mentioned is absolutely what is wrong with inter-scholastics athletics. High school student/athletes are just that. Students first. At the college level yrs. back it was about degree and move on the the pro's if able, life with an education. The new college experience is 1 and done Kentucky. Now its the "Branded" high school, incentives etc.. is better now??
It seems everyone is out to make money off kids backs from AAU to Mark Sills. Yes, the Salesianum player was held to an academic standard and left for softer pastures and lives with his AAU coach in Jersey now. These kids are treated like cattle with everyone around them waiting to hook onto the next Iverson. How many kids get grades changed, have a gpa below 2.0 and can't go anywhere and become the next "Hood Hero" with their best days behind them.
As for the privates, Friends is riding a minority, Sanford goes without saying, St. Andrews just graduated a few, Salesianum tried, Caravel yes.. Poor attempt of a race card play.
SCHOOL-EDUCATION. You can't wash out with a torn ACL.
B.s if salesianum kid wanted softer pastures academically he wouldn't be going to Ranney who has perhaps tougher academic standards than Sallies. Let's face reality sports is a business. Education is a business. All those schools you mention are in the business of making money. The goal is to teach kids how to use the game to get a good education & don't let the game use you. To make the assumption that u make is based upon the assumption that these institutions have some higher purpose than money. We like to hold kids to the highest standard & pretend we live in some moral utopia where adults don't have responsibility. I never hear u hold the people who profit off the system to the same standard. Lastly hood hero's is racist, its base on the assumption that kids like Ingraham are from the hood. Just like the political assumption that most black people live in the inner cities.

Before I get off topic, nothing wrong with kids wanting to be professional athletes. Something is terribly wrong with kids not performing academically. I tell kids u can have all the professional dreams u want as long as grades are good. As soon as black kids and parents get Smart and start using the system to their advantage now they're doing something wrong. We get words like "Hood Heros" and all these non factual assumptions. Most of Delaware basketball players don't live in hoods.

B.s if salesianum kid wanted softer pastures academically he wouldn't be going to Ranney who has perhaps tougher academic standards than Sallies. Let's face reality sports is a business. Education is a business. All those schools you mention are in the business of making money. The goal is to teach kids how to use the game to get a good education & don't let the game use you. To make the assumption that u make is based upon the assumption that these institutions have some higher purpose than money. We like to hold kids to the highest standard & pretend we live in some moral utopia where adults don't have responsibility. I never hear u hold the people who profit off the system to the same standard. Lastly hood hero's is racist, its base on the assumption that kids like Ingraham are from the hood. Just like the political assumption that most black people live in the inner cities.
"Let's face reality sports is a business."
Not for the kids on the play grounds. They play to have fun. Adults "f" it up. Play time used to be play time. Now it structured and controlled by adults. Hell, they're even called by different names - Rec Leagues and Developmental .....
Go deeper, it's all about economics. The problem is the stop/go sign turner most likely didn't have that as a goal for his life. Somewhere, someone wasn't pushing the NEED for an education. Note: I didn't say anything about basketball.
"Hood Hero". Racist? My azz. Thing is you know exactly what I'm talking about and can name some too.
Push books. Even tall kids need to read.

Last edited:
Because most of those sports don't have people around them pushing Pro's/Pro's/Pro's. I've been around a lot of baseball kids who, at the age of 7-12, talk about going pro someday. By the time they are in high school the game has taken on a new meaning, a vehicle to get you into a college. When all is said and done they get a degree and job. I have heard 16/17 kids say they're going pro(basketball). I tell them they better get good a school quick, because they would already be identified and at Sanford....
Baseball is synonymous with pushing kids in this direction & if u are a talented athlete the dream should be to go pro. Go to Dominican Republic, Cuba, etc. Entire communities built around baseball sucess. Baseball is still a predominantly white Sport so it doesn't have a dark cloud over it. It is my belief that many socio economic factors have to do with the success and failure of kids, so I look at each kids individual situation. I don't assume black basketball or baseball player are from hoods. That's like the assumption people made about Christian Lathener at Duke & Chris weber at Michigan. Weber was the the privileged kid.

Let's face reality sports is a business.
Not for the kids on the play grounds. They play to have fun. Adults "f" it up. Play time used to be play time. Now it structured and controlled by adults. Hell, they're even called by different names - Rec Leagues and Developmental .....
Go deeper, it's all about economics. The problem is the stop/go sign turner most likely didn't have that as a goal for his life. Somewhere, someone wasn't pushing the NEED for an education. Note: I didn't say anything about basketball.
"Hood Hero". Racist? My azz. Thing is you know exactly what I'm talking about and can name some too.
Push books. Even tall kids need to read.
Your comment are racist u make these assumptions about kids, do u have facts? U make the negative case against a kid, how do u know what the academic situation is for any kid. Do u know this as a fact or is this speculation. Most of these kids don't go to private schools for easy rides there parents send them there to get a good education, so I applaud many parents who use their kids talents to get them a good education. Why do u want these kids to fail so badly what's your motive?

Last edited:
liberalshout-racism.jpg

Reactions: soccer07
Baseball is synonymous with pushing kids in this direction & if u are a talented athlete the dream should be to go pro. Go to Dominican Republic, Cuba, etc. Entire communities built around baseball sucess. Baseball is still a predominantly white Sport so it doesn't have a dark cloud over it. It is my belief that many socio economic factors have to do with the success and failure of kids, so I look at each kids individual situation. I don't assume black basketball or baseball player are from hoods. That's like the assumption people made about Christian Lathener at Duke & Chris weber at Michigan. Weber was the the privileged kid.
Yeah and they don't go to school either because they are trying to get off the island... Countries doing well economically....

Reactions: 84rider
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT