ADVERTISEMENT

Mid-Season Update . . . . .

Simmonj4618

Getting reps on JV
Nov 17, 2011
Delaware
With the mid-season point closely approaching I would like to get some feedback from our resident experts Justabasketballfan, GateKeeperRefugee, EducatedEye and 84rider. Over the next couple of weeks there are several games that will set the table for playoff runs for teams that don't get the pub or we don't talk about as much. I would like to hear opinions on teams other than Ursuline, Sanford, CR and Caravel because we all know they will be there in the end. Here's mine:

1) Big week for St. E's can they get over the hump? Caravel then Cardinal O'hara or do they end mid season at 3-7?
2) They don't have nowhere near the same schedule as the top teams but Laurel could finish 19-1.
3) Keep an eye on Wilmington Friends a well coached team that could sneak up on someone.
4) St. Thomas More adjusting to playing without Marvel and Pool, Concord next test in MLK Tournament.
5) Dover looks like their slowly turning it around and will give CR a closer game next time.
6) AI good win over Hodgson, last 4 games Concord, Mt Pleasant, Archmere and Conrad they will be ready for playoffs.
7) Concord next three games Archmere, STMA and Conrad will clarify the rankings of top second tier teams.

These are just some story lines that makes this part of the season so fun!

Your thoughts and other teams to watch?

Last edited:
Simmonsj4618

Stop drinking the CR gatorade. They are not a very good team and play one of the weakest schedules of all the top 10 teams. You are constantly blowing there horn. They are not even in the top 6 teams. They showed last year and they'll show it again this year. Ursuline, Sanford, Caravel, Archmere, Concord, Conrad, and St. E's will beat them come playoffs. History has shown the upstate teams dominate down state in girls hoops annually. They lucked up and beat St. E's in 1st game of the season and beat a below average Hodgson team. Caravel fell asleep vs Damascus in their late loss. This will be a wait and see come playoff time. But I'll be sure to remind you of this post. And you can do the same if CR proves me wrong. Ursuline is proving to be a tough beat but as we found out last year anything is possible. Ursuline is definitely beatable. They have the horses but there are some good solid coaches that will continue to improve there team as the season goes on and Ursulines "Hunt for 17" won't be as easy as everyone thinks. Archmere is one of the top defensive teams in the state. Concord is playing better and will only improve. Sanford continues to improve and will be tough. Conrad is very young and has shown it at times but they too will get better as the season goes on. St. E's is playing one of the top 2-3 schedules in the entire state and will only win 12-13 games but will be tough despite there hiccup last year. Caravel is deep and experienced.

I would like to hear opinions on teams other than Ursuline, Sanford, CR and Caravel because we all know they will be there in the end.

Ok @Filmore00, so take CR out of the picture although at this point of the season I think the consensus is they're are the top four team as of now. You must don't follow my posts because I'm not a CR fan, just post what I see just like everyone else.

BTW; I see this is your first post do you have anything else to bring to the discussion?

Last edited:
I know from experience,you can never count St.E out. They will put it together and cause havoc come playoff time.

No one is counting out St. E's, just as I detailed their remaining schedule in another post based on how they do this week their road to the playoffs is not smooth sailing. Saying that their going to run the table and win 13+ plus game is fine with me, it's just not going to be a walk in the park like some suggest just because their St E's.

Last edited:
Reply was not directed toward you, I was just speaking on a team other than the four mentioned above!

Big win for StE tonight over Caravel. That impressed me. Didn't think they could do it.

St. E beating Caravel shocked me and it just shows that after Ursuline and Sanford, it's really anybody's guess as to who gets to the final four. Still think CR has a good chance as does Conrad and Concord has finally found a third scorer to go with Dennis and Snow. Add St. E and Caravel to that mix and it should be interesting. I get to see St. Thomas More and Sanford on Monday, so I'm looking forward to having a better grasp on both of those teams.

Reactions: big-picture
Ok- So I will attempt to not talk about the main schools that should be at least in the final four this year for the girls. Which are Ursuline, Sanford, Caravel, maybe St. E or conrad depending on how the teams fall in the brackets. First Dover high school is years away of being relevant even if they have WNBA Morgan Tuck’s sister coaching them. Now this is the funny part out of all of this with this team. The dover principle’s daughter is supposed to be one of the top 8 graders in the state this year. She has been going to all of these camps and is starting to get recognized. She is a solid player. The mom is the cousin of the coach. And yet the principle of dover who is the dad is looking to send his daughter to Ursuline?!?!? How strange is that. If anything I would have tried to push the kids in the district to go to dover high school. Since they have the sister of a WNBA player coaching them, and family. Laurel is playing subpar talent. They just lost to st georges, and that team is not good because they have a soccer coach coaching them. They have one girl logan who is a solid scorer, but everybody has just been box and 1ing her and they will continue to lose. I thought hodgson would fared better. But the injury to one of the twins has hurt them with balance scoring. So now you have the two guards as there only scorers. And they don’t have an inside presence to score. They have an undersized Baskerville girl who does a solid job for her height. St. Thomas more was going to be the toast of the town 2 years ago. With all those freshman, the size they had, and people was really taking a look at them. Then three girls left. One is at life center in new jersey, one is at caravel, and not sure where the other went. But that was some of their scoring and defense they had. They do have another freshman there. But an impactful one just yet. Conrad look like they was going to make a run this year. until they ran into caravel who beat them really bad at home. They was out of the game by the end of the first quarter. Conrad is good but they not part of the top tear teams yet. Concord I was really high on them coming into the season. but they had a couple of players transferred out and one of their main players has failed off the team! Not good. They still have some solid pieces there. But one of the main pieces has been in and out of lineup due to a concussion. Not to mention there not getting some of the top tear girls in the past year like in the past. So the future isn’t looking good for them. Now this last team was but wasn’t a surprise as to how they are playing. They quietly been getting girls in there program that can play. And the reason is that PS dupont has a gifted program. And the girls over there are playing with the inner city girls but are going to the private school. Word has it that they was able to snag a couple solid players with heart that have been coming into their program. I knew they would be solid. But not this early. Now I’m not saying there going to win it. but they are going to be competitive. And that school is archmere.

Now I’m a little biased to the upstate teams because honestly history has shown that the talent upstate has just fared better by average. CR is solid. I love Alissa haith’s game. But she isn’t enough to carry them to a chip. It will be four of the upstate teams in the final four. I wish you could add a down stated team. But it won’t go that way sorry.

Reactions: Simmonj4618
@Justabasketballfan, the biggest misnomer with CR is that everyone thinks they are a one trick pony when in reality they are far from it, point and example, there last game against Poly
aesar Rodney HS 24 23 7 23 77
Polytech HS 12 8 15 13 48

Scoring Summary:
Caesar Rodney - Finfinger-(0 0-0 0), Sebastian-(3 0-0 7), Scott-(0 0-6 0), Reid-(8 6-8 24), Adams-(0 0-0 0), Gillette-(0 0-1 0), Kornegay-Lucas-(11 2-7 24), Brooks-(7 2-2 17), Johnson-(2 1-2 5)

Totals: 31 11-26 77

definitely is a team effort this season, previous game before that against sussex central reid 23, kornegay-lucas 12, sebastian, brooks 6 & haith 6

my point is these girls are stepping up with no egos, if i'm not mistaken they have had 5 different girls lead the team in scoring this season, just sharing

Hey I know that team is not a one trick pony. the only reason I mentioned her is because I know her. I first got a chance to see her at a show case in spooky nook with the other player Jordan. And I had a chance to talk to her and she met some of the players I had with me up there as well. she is a good kid and plays really hard. but she isn't enough to take down those other main schools in order to get to the chip.. they can make a nice run

Reactions: 84rider
As far as the girl going to Ursuline. She probably will not play until her Jr. or Sr. They have 4-5 girls on the bench and several other player on JV. They only graduate one starter this year and her playing time will go to the big currently coming off the bench and then they have another big on JV. Also, Ursuline has about 7-8 guards. So any way you look at it, it's not a good situation for a girl coming in next fall. Inside source has told me each year there are a lot of unhappy parents/players because they are so loaded and he only plays 6 or 7. There were only 6 or 7 that played in the Diamond State Classic. Be ready to sit, If you go. I really think people are mesmerized by the Delledonne factor at Ursuline and they(coaching staff) tries to sell it to players/parents. Sorry not a fan of Delledonne. If you are a skilled player and want to play at a solid program in New Castle County you should look at Sanford or Conrad. Both schools have spots and playing time for guards and bigs. Neither has much of a bench and each could use another player that could in all likelihood bump out a starter that is currently there.

Your belief in her, isn't here belief in herself.... Even if you're right, nowhere else will she receive that high level of coaching and skill development locally, it's a win win, plus she probably is with a high level AAU considering they won't mind the commute.

When you get some of the best talent year in and year out it makes you look like a great coach. Would like to see how Ursuline coach fares with average talent or let him build a program from the ground up. Doesn't look like that's gonna happen. But good to great players make coaches look good. Catholic school dominated for years because they had CYO feeders and the public school kids had than 10 game middle school seasons. Now AAU is helping the public school kid. But I don't know of many public school kids going outside of Delaware playing for some of the upper level AAU teams, like girls from Ursuline and Sanford do year in and year out.

Sanford doesn't have a bench, but once they get a lead, it really doesn't matter. The only other team I've seen this year that makes the extra pass at the right time and gets out on the break by causing havoc on defense is Ursuline. Should be a fun state title game between those two.

I think @Justabasketballfan was pretty good with his/her observations. I have seen every team in the top 10 and many others, and I think CR is where they deserve to be. They have several weapons and are well-coached. The win over St. E was early on, but the Riders looked lost in the first half and were disciplined and determined in the second. There are no real challenges on the schedule the rest of the way, and that, perhaps, could hurt come playoff time. I watched St. Thomas More for the second time yesterday, and I just can't see them doing too much damage. They are not deep, and the roster includes six freshmen and a few sophomores. Dah'Naija Barnes is the only junior. She's a pretty dynamic player. I was impressed with Concord. Snow is getting over an illness and lit it up yesterday. I also like Dennis, and Grant provides a presence inside. They don't have much of a bench, however. I think Friday's game vs. Conrad will be a good one. Conrad is also very young, and if the shots aren't falling early, those girls can be easily frustrated. They don't have much in the way of height. I've been more impressed with A.I. this season than in previous years. They finally have scoring options other than Griffin. As for Hodgson and Friends, I've seen both more than once, and I just don't see deep playoff runs in their futures.

(Filmor00)- I know two girls that go to that program of Ursuline. Both struggled there first year there. They have system that takes time for some girls to adjust to, and learn how to score in the system because they have to learn there system and adjust their games to fit. It takes some time adjust. Most of those girls had their time sitting at one point. I can at least vouch for that. Even Adrianna had her time to sit. But Adrianna didn’t sit long!! She confident that what she wanted out of the program and how to make the program fit her. Then the rest of the team followed her. Elana went through the same thing in the beginning. But (Educatedeye) if you’re a good great player. They will make that offense fit you in some way. There was a time< and I know for a fact that this happened< when the father of Elana told that coaching staff that they better not have her in the post. They wanted her to play the 3 or four in the offense. If they put her at the five the father was going to pull her out of that school and go to another school. So the rest was history. That school will find a way to make you fit if your and elite player. There isn’t another elana coming to that school anytime soon so they making those girls fit into the program. I’ve sat through their practice with-in the last year. and they do nothing more special than other elite program. In actually they do a lot less than most elite programs as far as practices. Now the one advantage that all the private school have over the public or conference schools is that they have a chance to play more out of stated games or tournaments because they only are mandated to play ten games in state. And most of the times that’s there in conference games. Which would equate to like 6 or 7. Then they will play some other teams in the state just to make 10 games, and then there free play whomever they want. that will allow some more exposure. The public or votech schools have conference games that they are mandated to play. So if you have 8 teams in your conference 16 games are gone and now you have 4 game to work with. That only gives you two tournaments at best. The is bad in some ways. We need more games for the season. and optional of home and away games for the conference teams. Now some of these schools can play more out of state games. These are just my thoughts

Elena had 3 different coaches in the 5years she was there. Each was hired and fired by her father Ernie. She started from day one and did not have to have a year transition as your indicating. Hahn was slowing transitioned and didn't start her freshman year because there was parental kick back from the older kids parents that were in the program. I specifically remember Ursuline parents complaining that Hahn was aloud to play the first few summer league games before she was pulled off the team going into 8th grade. There system is not that difficulty and players sit because of the kick back from players parents. I have seen over the past 15years or so of kids that go there only to sit and either stop playing or sit on the bench with limited playing time there entire playing career because other younger players that are better then them come in. Where those players could have gone to a Padua, Archmere, or St. Mark's and had a solid playing career. There entire roster could start for one of the teams listed above. But hey kids keep going there and parents allow it, so they must be good salesman. If I had a daughter I WOULD NOT send her there.

Elena had 3 different coaches in the 5years she was there. Each was hired and fired by her father Ernie. She started from day one and did not have to have a year transition as your indicating. Hahn was slowing transitioned and didn't start her freshman year because there was parental kick back from the older kids parents that were in the program. I specifically remember Ursuline parents complaining that Hahn was aloud to play the first few summer league games before she was pulled off the team going into 8th grade. There system is not that difficulty and players sit because of the kick back from players parents. I have seen over the past 15years or so of kids that go there only to sit and either stop playing or sit on the bench with limited playing time there entire playing career because other younger players that are better then them come in. Where those players could have gone to a Padua, Archmere, or St. Mark's and had a solid playing career. There entire roster could start for one of the teams listed above. But hey kids keep going there and parents allow it, so they must be good salesman. If I had a daughter I WOULD NOT send her there.

I am not disagreeing with you at all. all of those things happened. I told those girls. If you’re going to go there be aware that your gonna fight an uphill battle your first year of earning time on that team. I told them that if you not going at those girls every day and proving that your better than them, Your gonna have a problem. I wanted one of the girls to go to padua or tatnal. But Ursuline offered a nice financial packet for the parent before any of the other schools and they didn’t want to miss out by maybe waiting to hear from those other’s one. The girls felt that they can come in there and be better than those other ones there. So they were warned well before going there. The problem Is when reality sets in and they have a hard time dealing with it. I tell them they have to keep fighting. But the lime light of playing for Ursuline and all the championships they have won, the teams they play, and the amount of exposure they are supposedly getting is bigger than the reality at times. But on a FLIP side: it give these players an understanding of fighting for your time. Like in college. It gives them a reality check of playing hard practice, work outs, aau, fall league games, And pick up games they have there. Some parents and children don’t understand that. It’s not CYO, the Y league or AAU where you pay and your required to play because you paid your money. The reality is if you want that spot you better go take it and earn it and get better each year because someone is coming to get your as well.

Last edited:
I think @Justabasketballfan was pretty good with his/her observations. I have seen every team in the top 10 and many others, and I think CR is where they deserve to be. They have several weapons and are well-coached. The win over St. E was early on, but the Riders looked lost in the first half and were disciplined and determined in the second. There are no real challenges on the schedule the rest of the way, and that, perhaps, could hurt come playoff time. I watched St. Thomas More for the second time yesterday, and I just can't see them doing too much damage. They are not deep, and the roster includes six freshmen and a few sophomores. Dah'Naija Barnes is the only junior. She's a pretty dynamic player. I was impressed with Concord. Snow is getting over an illness and lit it up yesterday. I also like Dennis, and Grant provides a presence inside. They don't have much of a bench, however. I think Friday's game vs. Conrad will be a good one. Conrad is also very young, and if the shots aren't falling early, those girls can be easily frustrated. They don't have much in the way of height. I've been more impressed with A.I. this season than in previous years. They finally have scoring options other than Griffin. As for Hodgson and Friends, I've seen both more than once, and I just don't see deep playoff runs in their futures.

That was my second time seeing Concord yesterday and they really are limited without Selby and of course McLaughlin and Panchak, but Snow/Dennis/Grant make for a pretty good trio when they're on and if Sharif can give them consistent scoring, they'll be a threat.

Hodgson, as much as I like those two guards, don't have anyone else to back them up. Same thing with St. Thomas More - young, talented, very little depth.

Nice win for Conrad last night against a veteran and equally talented Concord team. Their three toughest games left are against Charter, a rematch against Archmere and the season finale vs. A.I., so it looks like their road to a first round bye is nice and smooth.

Very impressed with Conrad Friday at Concord. I was most impressed how the older sister locked up Snow, rebounded, blocked shots, frustrated Concord and was very unselfish throughout. She is very tough for only being a freshman. It also amazes me at how young they are and doing the things they do. Overheard another high school coach of a top team at the game say "you don't wanna play this team come tourney time" I totally agree with that coach. Ursuline is gonna be tough to beat but come tournament time anything can happen. There are 6-7 teams that could compete depending on how they develop & how they are seeded.

Reactions: 84rider
Ursuline and Sanford to me are still head and shoulders above everyone else, but Conrad might push their way into the conversation. I'd like to see them against Caravel again because that could easily be a Final Four match-up.

C.R look like they might end the regular season 20-0. Are they a strong contender for final four?
And can anyone provide feedback on why St.Elizabeth is ranked higher than them in this weeks poll?

C.R look like they might end the regular season 20-0. Are they a strong contender for final four?
And can anyone provide feedback on why St.Elizabeth is ranked higher than them in this weeks poll?

because st Elizabeth plays teams along the lines of an ursuline. cr needs to play a tougher schedule.

doesnt matter CR beat ST E 2x this season and CR beat the team that beat Caravel,Damascus, justbasketballfan has been hating on CR from day one....if he was just a basketball fan he wouldnt say nonsense like ST E is ranked higher cause they play a harder schedule. that maybe true if not for the head to head wins, just stating the obvious

Last edited:
I'm new to posting, but I'm learning real fast you have to answer your own questions on here or better yet don't ask any at all.

1.Ursuline
2.Sanford
3.Ceasar Rodney
4.St.Elizabeth
5.Caravel
6.Conrad
7.Concord
8.Archmere
9.A.I.Dupont
10.Mount Pleasant

@big-picture, you will learn that there are a lot of haters on here. CR has never really been a girls basketball powerhouse that's why the coaches and ad didn't get a tougher schedule. No one picked CR to win anything so instead of giving the young ladies props they hate. CR played in the diamond state classic with 3 pre season top 5 teams St E, Caravel & Hodgson and won their bracket. They won the bracket by beating Damascus, a out of state opponent. CR will shock some teams this season with good chemistry and they have bought into the system by a very good coach.

Why do you say beat StE 2x. They only played once and won by 2. Not exactly a blowout. Great win on a team in my opinion is 4th best in state. But that doesn't say much about the state. Two team race as most are saying here. Hell I'm an Armstrong fan too but until StE can beat UA or Sanford they haven't proved anything yet either.

Hey, I am a fan. im also wise enough to know that people are blinded by there teams success. I get it. its cool.
doesnt matter CR beat ST E 2x this season and CR beat the team that beat Caravel,Damascus, justbasketballfan has been hating on CR from day one....if he was just a basketball fan he wouldnt say nonsense like ST E is ranked higher cause they play a harder schedule. that maybe true if not for the head to head wins, just stating the obvious

84rider- I get it. Your repping the school and all. Hence the screen name. But I have no reason to hate. I told you I know some of the players on that team. I like how they play. But come on the schedule just by looking at it doesn't match. Cr has played on Hodgson (win), and that school is not in the top 10. They played one out state school and won. And they played St Elizabeth who is in the top ten. The rest of the schedule is not worth mentioning. They should run the table against the down state teams. Now look at st e. They play Ursuline twice. They play four teams out of state. Win or lose you get max points for playing an out of state team. They play caravel a top 10 team. They play mount pleasant who just made the top ten. And Howard. The schedules don't match. St e will still get a higher seed come playoff time, unless they lose every game. but cr is undefeated and st. e has lost 6 games yet cr is 3rd or 4th and st e is ranked right behind them. that should say something about the schedule case there not ranked number 1. Cr has to do a better job of scheduling games. It has nothing to do what I or anyone else thinks of the team. The point system will clean all of it up. Strength of schedule accounts for something. And there is just no comparison.. Again no need to hate just stating the facts

Last edited:
I like Sanford there very young this year.. With no seniors.. They just don't have the depth after there 6th player..of the seeding pans out for them they could slip to the chip. I still think there a year from contention. But stranger things could happen

Caravel is missing something. I can't put my finger on it.. They have the talent, size, and experience.. But they struggle against the Sanford and Ursuline. I think they have st E number .. But not the others..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT