ADVERTISEMENT

Middletown???

The way I look at the schedule…they won their last game against Hodgson. Did they correct a problem and therefore credited with a win.? Then all teams qualified for the tournament. They won. To me that means they are still the ‘21 state champs. Maybe that will be changed. Am I crazy?

That is weird...what rumors happen to be swirling because I'm sure they are full of 100% truth
Ineligible player(s). Someone in the know at Middletown said that’s why he believes they have marked those regular season games as losses. There is concern about what could potentially happen to the program. Of course it could all be bogus and nonsense. But we’ll see

The one thing that is obvious is a number of games were switched to a FFT loss. That much is fact. Usually that would indicate an ineligible player played in those games. What DIAA does from there is anyone's guess. Maybe a fine. Coaches also tend to get fired after something like this as well. So I guess we will see.

It is a weird dynamic with everyone getting in the playoffs and how that factors in. It certainly would change the seedings and byes though as well as MT would have been on the road first 3 games of playoffs. I would guess DIAA would have to strip the title but again it will be interesting to see what they do.

Last edited:
The one thing that is obvious is a number of games were switched to a FFT loss. That much is fact. Usually that would indicate an ineligible player played in those games. What DIAA does from there is anyone's guess. Maybe a fine. Coaches also tend to get fired after something like this as well. So I guess we will see.

It is a weird dynamic with everyone getting in the playoffs and how that factors in. It certainly would change the seedings and byes though as well as MT would have been on the road first 3 games of playoffs. I would guess DIAA would have to strip the title but again it will be interesting to see what they do.
To my knowledge the player he was talking about also played in their playoff games so I would assume the all teams makes the playoffs rule would not matter for which games would be forfeited.

So I wasn’t gonna say anything to this on here until the final penalties were out but to help settle some of the speculation from the ones who don’t know……

first it wasn’t multiple players…it was a single player. He was academically ineligible for the first few games of the season and then became eligible the week of the Hodgson game so every game he played in from there on would have been fine.

Anyway the school found this somehow because of spring sports and notified the DIAA about the situation who will now have it on their agenda in next months meeting. The school then penalized themselves by forfeiting every game the athlete was ineligible hoping DIAA would accept those. However it’s Up to DIAA whether there shall be more penalties, fines, suspensions or more forfeitures up to stripping the playoff wins and title….

this is something I personally haven’t seen before so couldn’t tell you how DIAA handles it. I have seen Ineligible players play during the season and the DIAA Forfeits those games but during the season not when the entire season has been finished.

So I wasn’t gonna say anything to this on here until the final penalties were out but to help settle some of the speculation from the ones who don’t know……

first it wasn’t multiple players…it was a single player. He was academically ineligible for the first few games of the season and then became eligible the week of the Hodgson game so every game he played in from there on would have been fine.

Anyway the school found this somehow because of spring sports and notified the DIAA about the situation who will now have it on their agenda in next months meeting. The school then penalized themselves by forfeiting every game the athlete was ineligible hoping DIAA would accept those. However it’s Up to DIAA whether there shall be more penalties, fines, suspensions or more forfeitures up to stripping the playoff wins and title….

this is something I personally haven’t seen before so couldn’t tell you how DIAA handles it. I have seen Ineligible players play during the season and the DIAA Forfeits those games but during the season not when the entire season has been finished.
I heard he was ineligible because of his residency not grades. The player was living in PA while going to Middletown. I heard there were a couple players in that situation.

Interesting.. I guess the big questions are how does an academically ineligible player find his way on the field to begin with and exactly when did Middletown figure it out?

I can't imagine the DIAA will allow the play-off games and championship to stick. Typically if an ineligible player plays then he is suspended from playing the rest of the school year up to a whole year whether he gets eligible or not. Will be interesting to see how DIAA handles this.

Last edited:
Reactions: trapblock22
I heard he was ineligible because of his residency not grades. The player was living in PA while going to Middletown. I heard there were a couple players in that situation.

Why would a player or parent from out of state think they could go to a public school in another state? That's weird.

This is the kind of shit that happens when programs or coaches get that "National" bug. just saying of course.. not saying it's the case at MT just in general but it wouldn't surprise me if it's true

Last edited:
To my knowledge the player he was talking about also played in their playoff games so I would assume the all teams makes the playoffs rule would not matter for which games would be forfeited.
Except that forfeits are not games played. Therefore, they’d have been ineligible for playoffs

Except that forfeits are not games played. Therefore, they’d have been ineligible for playoffs

For playoff points etc. FFTs do count as games played (cancelled games don't count). Doesn't matter really if an ineligible player plays in a game then that player is suspended from play for the rest of the year would be my understanding

Last edited:
Why would a player or parent from out of state think they could go to a public school in another state? That's weird.

This is the kind of shit that happens when programs or coaches get that "National" bug. just saying of course.. not saying it's the case at MT just in general so it wouldn't surprise me if it's true
Anything to win games nowadays. The punishment of the team will really depend on how many people in the school knew and when did they know about it. It would be such a shame to the kids on the team that won a championship and their opponents if this is true.

Reactions: DMA_302TakeOver
For playoff points etc. FFTs do count as games played (cancelled games don't count). Doesn't matter really if an ineligible player plays in a game then that player is suspended from play for the rest of the year would be my understanding
I stand corrected. You’re right. I wonder in hindsight if Middletown would have been eligible if this had been known when the bracket was set.

I stand corrected. You’re right. I wonder in hindsight if Middletown would have been eligible if this had been known when the bracket was set.
At worse that player would have been ineligible for at least the season and the playoff points and seedings would have been redone after the FFT's. Looking at it. It would have changed a lot of spots. Central would have got a top 5 and a bye, St G would have bypassed Sallies and been 2 seed.. just to name a couple things.

It was grades from the previous spring (4th semester) so he wouldn’t have qualified to play in the fall. It wasn’t until the 2nd semester started this past year that he was eligible. It has nothing to do with “out of state players” everyone can speculate all they want on that it’s just not true. It’s already a shitty situation….so I’m just addressing it to stop everyone from making up their own lies about what’s going on.

I also wanna state that I’m not defending what happened. Its going to fall on someone for dropping the ball whether it was done intently or mistakenly, but no matter what DIAA decides to do you can bet there’s going to be a change in how grades are monitored from here on out.

St Georges is now the 2021 3A District 1 Champion.. order the banner! 😁

Class 3A - District 1​

School​
District
Record
District
Percentage​
Overall
Record
Win
Percentage​
St. Georges Tech HS
(5-0)​
1.000​
(8-2)​
0.800​
253​
25.3​
128​
12.8​
Salesianum School
(3-1)​
0.750​
(7-2)​
0.778​
259​
28.8​
160​
17.8​
Appoquinimink HS
(3-2)​
0.600​
(6-4)​
0.600​
204​
20.4​
204​
20.4​
William Penn HS
(2-3)​
0.400​
(5-5)​
0.500​
230​
23.0​
204​
20.4​
Middletown HS
(1-3)​
0.250​
(1-7)​
0.125​
43​
5.4​
30​
3.8​
Hodgson Vo-Tech
(0-5)​
0.000​
(2-8)​
0.200​
96​
9.6​
305​
30.5​

I hope Smyrna fans arnt throwing stones in this situation. They are notorious for doing this with kids that live a lot farther down state than Smyrna, DE. They’ve had a revolving door in their wrestling room for some time now. So let’s pump the breaks here.

• Haha
Reactions: BackinBlack86
I hope Smyrna fans arnt throwing stones in this situation. They are notorious for doing this with kids that live a lot farther down state than Smyrna, DE. They’ve had a revolving door in their wrestling room for some time now. So let’s pump the breaks here.
And not for nothing. I know for a fact Middletown ain’t the only school in DE changing grades or putting pressure on teachers to change grades… I give them a lot of respect for self reporting. Unless their hand was forced, than it ain’t that impressive.

Personally I think playing an academically ineligible player is a bigger infraction than if a parent or student falsified their address to go to a school. The latter happens often all over the country. I see teams get dinged for that all the time.

You don't see teams getting hit for playing an academically ineligible player very often. Not even sure how that can even happen today. I think this one falls under the old "lack of institutional control" deal and gets hit hard. MT should consider themselves lucky if they get out of this without being ruled ineligible for this years playoffs, which is what happens sometimes in these cases.

Last edited:
I believe Glasgow got dinged for an ineligible player in 2007. It was discovered before the end of the season. Glasgow had to forfeit games in which the player had played and as a result got bumped out of a tournament spot by Newark. In that case I believe there was a falsification of a transcript of the student who transferred to Glasgow. Glasgow was innocent but got dinged in any event. Glasgow parents asked Chancery Court to hold up the tournament but were denied an injunction.

Last edited:
I believe Glasgow got dinged for an ineligible player in 2007. It was discovered before the end of the season. Glasgow had to forfeit games in which the player had played and as a result got bumped out of a tournament spot by Newark. In that case I believe there was a falsification of a transcript of the student who transferred to Glasgow. Glasgow was innocent but got dinged in any event. Glasgow parents asked Chancery Court to hold up the tournament but were denied an injunction.
It was 2006, and it was a bad year for DE HS football
-Glasgow forfeits all 10 games
-Delpercio suspended for giving out advance test copies
-Lake Forest forfeits final 3 games for misuse of pain meds by players
-Glasgow/Delcastle fight results in 22 suspensions

It was grades from the previous spring (4th semester) so he wouldn’t have qualified to play in the fall. It wasn’t until the 2nd semester started this past year that he was eligible. It has nothing to do with “out of state players” everyone can speculate all they want on that it’s just not true. It’s already a shitty situation….so I’m just addressing it to stop everyone from making up their own lies about what’s going on.

I also wanna state that I’m not defending what happened. Its going to fall on someone for dropping the ball whether it was done intently or mistakenly, but no matter what DIAA decides to do you can bet there’s going to be a change in how grades are monitored from here on out.
Appreciate the info. I know when I asked it came across as cheeky but I was generally interested and glad you were able to clear up. It usually goes that kids play the first marking period and then fail and missnthe end of the season, weird to see it the other way. Overall it will be interesting to see where the DIAA comes down on this. Hopefully this upcoming season won't have these issues and each team will be playing at full strength and may the best team come out on top

This is the kind of shit that happens when programs or coaches get that "National" bug. just saying of course.. not saying it's the case at MT just in general but it wouldn't surprise me if it's true
That’s why any “national” team
Has to be a private school -
No public tax Funding, no boundaries etc

That’s why any “national” team
Has to be a private school -
No public tax Funding, no boundaries etc

You see publics in Tex, Fla, Georgia and teams like the one from Washington Bellevue reach National status (by national I mean top 25 in the nation or top 50 consistently) but almost always they end up getting busted down by the associations for cheating, recruiting, ineligible players etc.

Even most the "National" privates it only last for awhile before the board or whomever has enough and puts an end to it or has it scaled back. Particularly if the private starts to get a reputation as a football factory or diploma mill. The old alumni typically don't like that but only after the excitement of having a national team wears thin and then the problems rack up in the school. Happens to them all, Don Bosco, Gilman, Calvert Hall, Shiloh Christian, Trinity Texas, the list is long... WCAC is no rules so they seem to keep on keeping on..lol

Last edited:
And not for nothing. I know for a fact Middletown ain’t the only school in DE changing grades or putting pressure on teachers to change grades… I give them a lot of respect for self reporting. Unless their hand was forced, than it ain’t that impressive.
My original account I posted this thread on stopped me from posting earlier today so I had to create another account. I talked to some more people about the situation and grades was brought along with residency issues among the player in question. My apologies for saying grades had nothing to do with it. However my question is how did the player's grades just get noticed after almost a year later. This is something that absolutely should have been known right after the school year last year or right before the season started. The player (who I also heard lives out of state) was also a very good starter for the Cavs this season it would have hurt them greatly if he did not play at all this year. Sounds like Middletown is trying to cover their wrong doings by self reporting so nothing happens to the program or the coaches. I find it hard to believe this was a mistake that was just found out a couple weeks ago.

I’m thinking someone’s head is going to roll if it was known the player lived outside the district.

Forget districts. It’s out of state players for a PUBLIC SCHOOL

Dude, you do know Smyrna had a Philly kid transfer as well don't you?.. LB4 school. Or what about the Sr QB transfer from Glasgow? Newark not OOS but a long way from Smyrna. just saying Smyrna is the last program that should be chucking rocks.. lol

There is more to this player in question. "Seems" like not only did he come to DE to avoid academic ineligibly in Philly but also trying to reclass. Dude played rostered as a JR in Philly (Overbrook) Fall of 2020 2 games (covid) as well as the spring games they played March and April of 2021 (make up for covid) Fits also as he was listed Soph class of 2022 the previous school KIPP DuBoise (2019-2020). He won't be eligible in DE this year either time is up. You can't reclass after starting High School. This kid got some bad advice and info. Maybe you can hide in DE but you can't hide from Hudl.. just saying SMH

Not going to say this is Middletowns fault either. There is a good chance they got some fudged up transcripts and was hoodwinked.. Not saying I know anything on that (the transcripts) just would not surprise me looking at the evidence available and the posted history of said player.

Last edited:
Dude, you do know Smyrna had a Philly kid transfer as well don't you?.. LB4 school. Or what about the Sr QB transfer from Glasgow? Newark not OOS but a long way from Smyrna. just saying Smyrna is the last program that should be chucking rocks.. lol
You can been in a different Schools district and Choice In which is allowed. However get kids from a whole different state is not allowed for a public school

You can been in a different Schools district and Choice In which is allowed. However get kids from a whole different state is not allowed for a public school
Certainly I am aware of that BUT have to transfer before Jr year. SR transfers are ineligible unless you get a waiver or move into another school district. Did the QB really legally move is the question? .. LB4 is and always was a Philly kid but that is history and it's in the books.. giddy up 🤠

There is more to this player in question. "Seems" like not only did he come to DE to avoid academic ineligibly in Philly but also trying to reclass. Dude played rostered as a JR in Philly (Overbrook) Fall of 2020 2 games (covid) as well as the spring games they played March and April of 2021 (make up for covid) Fits also as he was listed Soph class of 2022 the previous school KIPP DuBoise (2019-2020). He won't be eligible in DE this year either time is up. You can't reclass after starting High School. This kid got some bad advice and info. Maybe you can hide in DE but you can't hide from Hudl.. just saying SMH

Not going to say this is Middletowns fault either. There is a good chance they got some fudged up transcripts and was hoodwinked.. Not saying I know anything on that (the transcripts) just would not surprise me looking at the evidence available and the posted history of said player.
I thought you were allowed to Reclass in high school as long as you went to a different school. It would just be repeating your class grade at a new school. What are the rules in Delaware for that?

Reactions: FCABucks
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT