ADVERTISEMENT

Middletown???

I know this won’t be popular and I’m fine with that. At what point do we stop talking about championships and ask ourselves what are we teaching our young men? The majority of coaches, me included, will tell you we coach because of the privilege we have to positively lead and influence these young men. I actually believe most of them, I just don’t think they know what that means or looks like…just like I didn’t when I first started.

If this were us, we would vacate the entire season, the lessons that these young men would learn from this is way more important and valuable than any championship. We must teach are young men that there are consequences for our actions! Before anyone says…why should the team pay for the actions of one? What do we as coaches preach everyday…team! Our motto is “Where one Buck goes, we all go” the meaning is simple and twofold, First, you represent us all wherever you go or whatever you do! Second, we will be there for you when you need us, now and beyond football! We have one rule…don’t do anything to embarrass yourself, your family, or your community. Notice we don’t say team, that’s because we believe that if you take care of things off the field, on the field success will become a byproduct of how we carry ourselves off it…It starts with me! Do we stumble and fail sometimes…yes! When we do we hold them accountable and remind them that failing doesn’t equal failure. Failing equals learning...Failure equals quitting. Then we love them through it!! Our hope it that the lessons learned today from their mistakes will guide them in the future BEFORE they make a bad decision. So we believe the reminder of what their decisions cost them today, will lead them to a different decision in the future. We remind them that your life will be equal to the sum of your decisions!

I hear the argument that the player in question was eligible for the playoffs and because all teams made the playoffs it didn’t matter. Well I will respectfully disagree. One thing that no one has mentioned…maybe it’s time to rethink everyone makes the playoffs? That’s not how the real world operates. These young men need to learn the lessons that come with “failing”! They won’t get every job they apply for or a date with every beautiful young lady they meet.

There’s an opportunity here…IMHO its failed opportunities like this (if they allow MT to keep the title) that has gotten us to where we are in our culture today.

The reality is that the DIAA shouldn’t have to make this decision.
Great stuff….It did still indeed effect the playoffs IMO, if the games were forfeited before the playoffs then the seeding/matchups are different..,who moves on could of been different….going from the 2 seed to the 10th seed doesn’t change much for a great team like MT but it changes the matchups/home-away etc. I personally think the player and coach should be suspended for the amount of games he was ineligible next season…if the kid graduates then 2 coaches take the fall…HC and coord in on that side of the ball. Just a thought

Reactions: FCABucks
Great stuff….It did still indeed effect the playoffs IMO, if the games were forfeited before the playoffs then the seeding/matchups are different..,who moves on could of been different….going from the 2 seed to the 10th seed doesn’t change much for a great team like MT but it changes the matchups/home-away etc. I personally think the player and coach should be suspended for the amount of games he was ineligible next season…if the kid graduates then 2 coaches take the fall…HC and coord in on that side of the ball. Just a thought
and the AD

Wow! Never knew that about Davis BiB. As usual, you are correct. This is gonna be fascinating!

* I am going to have to walk back on the video evidence statement. What I thought was a game recap of #12 playing QB after further review was a game preview and the film was of the 2016 game in which #12 was their starting Sr QB. Also in reviewing game film from that year there is a number 12 but it is not BD. They probably gave BD'S #12 to one of the two #11's after he departed

So it is very plausible BD moved to Delaware prior to entering 9th and enrolled here repeating 8th grade. CAK might just have never taken him off their roster from the summer. I don't know when he transferred here whether it was before school started or after.

Last edited:
* I am going have to walk back on the video evidence statement. What I thought was a game recap of #12 playing QB after further review was a game preview and the film was of the 2016 game in which #12 was their starting Sr QB. Also in reviewing game film from that year there is a number 12 but it is not BD.

So it is very plausible BD moved to Delaware prior to entering 9th and enrolled here repeating 8th grade. CAK might just have never taken him off their roster from the summer.
This is the number 1 issue in homeschool football. Players/parents can easily "slow down" their education to "graduate" after the football season! Drives me crazy!!

Last edited:
Reactions: BackinBlack86
My instincts are to be understanding of an error but there is a precedent set by the 2006 Glasgow forfeits. That is if you play an ineligible player in a game — even in perfect innocence ~ you forfeit that game. That was confirmed by a Delaware’s Chancery Court.

Reactions: Woody_Wood
To further this discussion on doing the right thing in response to those saying MT should get some kind of atta boy or kudos for self reporting.

Self reporting is the "expectation". It is how the system is set up not only here but all the state associations work off the honor system and depend on the schools self reporting their infractions.

They don't have investigators going around and checking everyone's stuff to make sure they are in compliance. They will however investigate if there is a legitimate complaint filed. But the expectation is the schools self report. So no MT should not get any special consideration for self reporting, it's what is expected..

Last edited:
I know this won’t be popular and I’m fine with that. At what point do we stop talking about championships and ask ourselves what are we teaching our young men? The majority of coaches, me included, will tell you we coach because of the privilege we have to positively lead and influence these young men. I actually believe most of them, I just don’t think they know what that means or looks like…just like I didn’t when I first started.

If this were us, we would vacate the entire season, the lessons that these young men would learn from this is way more important and valuable than any championship. We must teach are young men that there are consequences for our actions! Before anyone says…why should the team pay for the actions of one? What do we as coaches preach everyday…team! Our motto is “Where one Buck goes, we all go” the meaning is simple and twofold, First, you represent us all wherever you go or whatever you do! Second, we will be there for you when you need us, now and beyond football! We have one rule…don’t do anything to embarrass yourself, your family, or your community. Notice we don’t say team, that’s because we believe that if you take care of things off the field, on the field success will become a byproduct of how we carry ourselves off it…It starts with me! Do we stumble and fail sometimes…yes! When we do we hold them accountable and remind them that failing doesn’t equal failure. Failing equals learning...Failure equals quitting. Then we love them through it!! Our hope it that the lessons learned today from their mistakes will guide them in the future BEFORE they make a bad decision. So we believe the reminder of what their decisions cost them today, will lead them to a different decision in the future. We remind them that your life will be equal to the sum of your decisions!

I hear the argument that the player in question was eligible for the playoffs and because all teams made the playoffs it didn’t matter. Well I will respectfully disagree. One thing that no one has mentioned…maybe it’s time to rethink everyone makes the playoffs? That’s not how the real world operates. These young men need to learn the lessons that come with “failing”! They won’t get every job they apply for or a date with every beautiful young lady they meet.

There’s an opportunity here…IMHO its failed opportunities like this (if they allow MT to keep the title) that has gotten us to where we are in our culture today.

Well said - Young MEN! I echo that all the time. We - collective WE, are trying to help these young men become real men. Men that have to make tough decisions and deal with consequences - both good and bad. To the point FCA Bucks said -ultimately to be able to deal with it!!! That is why I personally get aggravated about this coach with this yip yap and that coach f'ing this f'ing that on the field and yelling at young men. Time and a place for everything. Dealing with the Deal is what it is about. FCA BUCKS - well done!

and the AD

What is not known is who knew what when and how it was missed. So we don't know if the player (who did play the whole season including playoffs) would have been allowed to play after being found out he was playing while ineligible or if he would have been ok to play once he became academically ineligible because we don't know what the penalty for playing while ineligible would have been for the player.

Typically that player would be suspended from playing any sports the rest of the year or at minimum for as many games as he played while ineligible which would have been 8 games in this case (if it was reported at that time) so he would not have been eligible to play once the new grades came out. Hence all games should be a FFT that the player played in. The HC possibly would have been suspended for that time period as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody_Wood
Well said - Young MEN! I echo that all the time. We - collective WE, are trying to help these young men become real men. Men that have to make tough decisions and deal with consequences - both good and bad. To the point FCA Bucks said -ultimately to be able to deal with it!!! That is why I personally get aggravated about this coach with this yip yap and that coach f'ing this f'ing that on the field and yelling at young men. Time and a place for everything. Dealing with the Deal is what it is about. FCA BUCKS - well done!

It's always been that way on every team my Son or I have been on, if one of us messes up in school or where ever we all get punished and run extra hills , bear crawls or whatever the coach decides the punishment should be.

What is not known is who knew what when and how it was missed. So we don't know if the player (who did play the whole season including playoffs) would have been allowed to play after being found out he was playing while ineligible or if he would have been ok to play once he became academically ineligible because we don't know what the penalty for playing while ineligible would have been for the player.

Typically that player would be suspended from playing any sports the rest of the year or at minimum for as many games as he played while ineligible which would have been 8 games in this case (if it was reported at that time) so he would not have been eligible to play once the new grades came out. Hence all games should be a FFT that the player played in. The HC possibly would have been suspended for that time period as well.
All should get their due process/day in court if you will. Remember ignorance is not an excuse. All AD's are aware of the rules and should know who is and isn't eligible. I did a short internship for my degree with a pubic school and the AD had the interim/quarterly grades dates marked on the calendar and as soon as there were posted we let the coaches know who were ineligible.

All should get their due process/day in court if you will. Remember ignorance is not an excuse. All AD's are aware of the rules and should know who is and isn't eligible. I did a short internship for my degree with a pubic school and the AD had the interim/quarterly grades dates marked on the calendar and as soon as there were posted we let the coaches know who were ineligible.
Keep in mind this was also a transfer from Philly, PA so who knows what the transcripts say. BUT Me, if I am a Head Coach and we get an OOS transfer come in, you can best be assured I am making sure all paperwork's, grades and residencies are all legit before I even think of putting that player on the field. Pretty sure most coaches would these days I would think.

Last edited:
NJ Article today

additional facts and others confirmed are

Principle at MT is a first year principle

Confirmed, student in question is a transfer from out of state.

Principle says the mistake was found when a college eligibility coordinator inquired about the players transcripts in Feb.

Principle blamed Covid and other confusion on the miss

player did not play vs HVT but did play all the playoff games

everything else we know

by now I believe everyone probably knows who player is

Last edited:
previous principal was DIAA board member correct?

16731021_2493369547356687_801298638_n.gif

Well.. "if" there is nothing more to this than what has been reported and after reading Dr. Layfield's and Kevin Charles' opinions I have come to the conclusion (provided there is not anything else to this) there is really not a whole lot DIAA can do past what MT has self imposed with the forfeits.

Being MT principle is willing to take the sword and it seems like an honest mistake I am guessing there will be probation and then some sort of order to come up with an oversight policy and procedure to make sure it doesn't happen again.

slap-hand-slap.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Huskerman7
Keep in mind this was also a transfer from Philly, PA so who knows what the transcripts say. BUT Me, if I am a Head Coach and we get an OOS transfer come in, you can best assured I am making sure all paperwork's, grades and residencies are all legit before I even put that player on the field. Pretty sure most coaches would these days I would think.
Really?! But….Covid. 😂

Well.. "if" there is nothing more to this than what has been reported and after reading Dr. Layfield's and Kevin Charles' opinions I have come to the conclusion (provided there is not anything else to this) there is really not a whole lot DIAA can do past what MT has self imposed with the forfeits.

Being MT principle is willing to take the sword and it seems like an honest mistake I am guessing there will be probation and then some sort of order to come up with an oversight policy and procedure to make sure it doesn't happen again.

slap-hand-slap.gif
They had to have known about his grades when he got there. He’s one of their best players and an OOS transfer. They should vacate their title just for straight up negligence of the situation. The DIAA knows what kind of precedent they would give other schools if they give Middletown a slap on the wrist.

Bravo FCA. Wonderfully said.

I wonder if the QB is involved. I brought it up on here a few years ago that he played for Christian Academy of Knoxville in 2017 as a CO 21 Freshman. He came to MT 2018 as a CO 22. So he played 5 yrs of HS ball. * There is video of him playing for CAK 2017 and he is on their roster on Hudl and MP so I am not making this up. I just figured he got some sort of waiver or something.

(edited) *video evidence is inconclusive
By the rules in DE that wouldn’t be allowed without a hardship waiver

To further this discussion on doing the right thing in response to those saying MT should get some kind of atta boy or kudos for self reporting.

Self reporting is the "expectation". It is how the system is set up not only here but all the state associations work off the honor system and depend on the schools self reporting their infractions.

They don't have investigators going around and checking everyone's stuff to make sure they are in compliance. They will however investigate if there is a legitimate complaint filed. But the expectation is the schools self report. So no MT should not get any special consideration for self reporting, it's what is expected..
Self reporting is 101 damage
Control. Its what colleges do when they know they are about to get caught.

My opinion at this point (not that any one asked for it but I will give it anyway) is the DIAA should look at it as if the infraction was reported during the season what would the penalties have been then regarding the the coach and the player who played illegally. It would be normal to suspend the player the amount of games the player played while ineligible after he becomes eligible. So in all likelihood the player would have not been available for the remainder of the season. So given that the team should forfeit every game the player played in.

There are still questions as well. Like what did the player and his parents know? Certainly a player with D1 talent and aspirations knows what is required academically to be eligible to be on the field. Players are drilled this from coaches/parents ever since they start playing the game. Certainly they knew they would be academically ineligible to play in PA (PA academic requirements are a tad stiffer than DE) So how would they think they would be eligible in DE and I would also want to know why they reclassed when transferring to DE.

The red flag for me and should have been for the MT admin and coaches would be the reclass. He was a JR on his old teams roster in 2020 (CO22) and he registers at MT as a JR in 2021 (CO23) That should send out the red flag that there may be an academic issue.

Who knew what when by all parties involved is what needs to be uncovered to appropriately impose punishment. I believe the principle is being truthful as far as what she knows but I believe there are things she doesn't know. Like how this player from Philly even came to enroll at Middletown and what if anything was done to confuse the process to skirt by whatever system they have to vet or determine eligibility. Point being somebody knew there was issues whether that be the player, parents/legal guardians, coaches etc.. Somebody knew something

Would have gotten away with it too if not for those pesky college eligibility coordinators

200.gif

Last edited:
I thought you were allowed to Reclass in high school as long as you went to a different school. It would just be repeating your class grade at a new school. What are the rules in Delaware for that?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't reclass in public schools and play 5 years?
If these facts are correct no way he should be eligible to play in 22. Which means he'll end up at a private school,,,or playing for us;)😄

My opinion at this point (not that any one asked for it but I will give it anyway) is the DIAA should look at it as if the infraction was reported during the season what would the penalties have been then regarding the the coach and the player who played illegally. It would be normal to suspend the player the amount of games the player played while ineligible after he becomes eligible. So in all likelihood the player would have not been available for the remainder of the season. So given that the team should forfeit every game the player played in.
This

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't reclass in public schools and play 5 years?
If these facts are correct no way he should be eligible to play in 22. Which means he'll end up at a private school,,,or playing for us;)😄

🤣.. In all seriousness he has the size and enough D1 offers where he could end up at St Frances. They would take him for sure.

By the rules in DE that wouldn’t be allowed without a hardship waiver

Just for educational purpose for those interested in the rule.

The 5th year hardship waiver is rare and extremely hard to get. You have to prove the hardship (illness, injury etc..) was severe enough that it made it impossible for you to do your classwork and finish high school on time. It has to have that academic tie in. I am not aware of any cases in DE that I know of that got approved. I am sure there may be one somewhere/sometime but I am not aware of it.

Also this waiver will not waive the age limit. 19 before June 15th you can't play and there is no waiver for that for contact and scoring sports

2.7.3 Waiver of the Years of Participation Rule

2.7.3.1 "Hardship" shall be defined as extenuating circumstances peculiar to the student athlete caused by unforeseen events beyond the election, control, or creation of the student athlete, the student's family, and the student’s school which (1) deprive the student of all or part of one of the student's opportunities to participate in a particular sports season; and (2) preclude the student from completing the academic requirements for graduation within the normal period of eligibility; and (3) deprive the student of all or part of one of the student's opportunities to participate in a particular sport. The waiver provision is intended to restore eligibility that has been lost as a result of a hardship situation. Injury, illness, or accident, which cause a student to fail to meet the basic requirements, are possible causes for a hardship consideration.

2.7.3.1.2 A clear and direct causal relationship must exist between the alleged hardship condition and the failure of the student to complete the academic requirements for graduation within the normal period of eligibility and the loss of all or part of one of the student's opportunities to participate in a particular sports season.

2.7.3.1.3 The burden of proof rests with the student in conjunction with the waiver process as described in Section 9.0 of 14 DE Admin. Code 1006. Claims of extended illness, debilitating injury, emotional stress, etc. must be accompanied by appropriate documentation. Evidence must be submitted to verify that the student, their parents, legal guardians, or Relative Caregiver sought assistance to ameliorate the effects of the hardship condition.

2.1 Eligibility, Age

2.1.1 Students who become 19 years of age on or after June 15 immediately preceding the student’s year of participation shall be eligible for all sports provided all other eligibility requirements are met. In determining the age of a contestant, the birth date as entered on the birth record of the Bureau of Vital Statistics shall be required and shall be so certified on all eligibility lists.

2.1.1.1 Requests for a waiver of the age requirement shall only be considered for participation on an unofficial, nonscoring basis in noncontact or non collision sports.

Last edited:
Oh I was serious about the private school part!

There really aren't that many private "high schools" that can play a 5th year reclass (reclassed after starting 9th grade) and most of these pop up gap year prep academies only take players that have graduated.

Oh I was serious about the private school part!

This also reminds me of another rule regarding 8th grade participation people often don't know.

You can't transfer in to a school as an 8th grader and be eligible to play at the HS level. You have to have been there a year prior (7th grade) and be a rising 8th grader in the same school.

So the idea of transferring to a private and repeating 8th and getting 5 years of eligibility doesn't work.

There really aren't that many private "high schools" that can play a 5th year reclass (reclassed after starting 9th grade) and most of these pop up gap year prep academies only take players that have graduated.
Where in DE? I've seen several players for wherever reasons (mostly grades) do it in and around the DMV. Wouldn't know much here because we can't play teams here.

Where in DE? I've seen several players for wherever reasons (mostly grades) do it in and around the DMV. Wouldn't know much here because we can't play teams here.

*None in DE. Only semi local programs I know of that do it are St Frances (only started doing it last year after Poggi left) Life Christian Academy in VA a football program tied to a small Christian school but most of the classes are online.

None of the WCAC or MIAA programs allow it as is against the leagues limit of participation rules which mimic the state associations rules for DC or Marland accordingly.

There is that new shady outfit Beacon Hill Homeschool that does. They really aren't a homeschool or in a homeschool league but a football program where the players take classes online from somewhere.

I believe you can at the blue blood ISL schools in DC like Bullis, Mercer etc..

Riverdale Baptist an independent school in Upper Marlboro MD but they are really bad

also you have the hybrid prep school schools like The Hun School, NJ and the others in the MAPL (MId-Atlantic Prep League) Blair Academy. The Hill School, The Peddie School etc.

*Technically the Independent Conference schools ( Tatnall, Tower Hill etc.) can but they normally don't. The player wouldn't be allowed to play vs DIAA schools, or other states NFHS affiliated schools or in the playoffs anyway.

Even IMG doesn't allow 5th year reclassers as they follow the FHSAA rules in that regard. IMG does have a post grad Prep team but you have to have graduated to be on that.,

Last edited:
*None in DE. Only semi local programs I know of that do it are St Frances (only started doing it last year after Poggi left) Life Christian Academy in VA a football program tied to a small Christian school but most of the classes are online.

None of the WCAC or MIAA programs allow it as is against the leagues limit of participation rules which mimic the state associations rules for DC or Marland accordingly.

There is that new shady outfit Beacon Hill Homeschool that does. They really aren't a homeschool or in a homeschool league but a football program where the players take classes online from somewhere.

Riverdale Baptist an independent school in Upper Marlboro MD but they are really bad

also you have the hybrid prep school schools like The Hun School, NJ and the others in the MAPL (MId-Atlantic Prep League) Blair Academy. The Hill School, The Peddie School etc.

*Technically the Independent Conference schools ( Tatnall, Tower Hill etc.) can but they normally they don't. The player wouldn't be allowed to play vs DIAA schools, or other states NFHS affiliated schools or in the playoffs anyway.

Even IMG doesn't allow 5th year reclassers as they follow the FHSAA rules in that regard. IMG does have a post grad Prep team but you have to have graduated to be on that.,
Yep LCA is one of them, here's an article on a all state QB they took. This article didn't mentioned that he was academically indelible to play at Stafford in 2018. What is really surprising, after crashing and burning at LCA in 2018 he went on to St Michaels, a catholic school in VA. We had played them twice and split with them....great competitive games. St Michaels was set to join our conference then at the last minute pulled out. We still play them in 2019 and we found out why they pulled out, their coach had gone out and recruited a few players like this...he knew they would be ineligible to play in our conference. They crushed us and went on the win the VISAA state championship . He got a scholarship to WV State but has bounced around and is in the portal now. I despise coaches who use young men in this way!!! Many other stories like this....

"And the Hurricanes allowed him to meet other players who didn’t play for him, such as quarterback Jalen Smith. Smith was a junior at Stafford High School last year and was named all-state in Class 5 after leading his team to the state semifinals.
But 2017 was his first year playing varsity quarterback, and that wasn’t enough time for him to build a résumé, he said. So he decided to transfer to a private school and reclassify to improve his chances for a scholarship.

His younger brother played for the Hurricanes, and he was familiar with Scott. The coach invited Smith to play 7-on-7 with Life Christian in the spring. Smith used the spring season as an opportunity to get a feel for the coach and the team.
By the second weekend, he was sold. He made up his mind that he would join Life Christian. He moved in with a family friend in Chesterfield to ease his daily commute, and he pushed back his graduation year to 2020.
While other private schools have put limitations on reclassifying, Life Christian has embraced it. Scott estimated that about 50 percent of the players have reclassified.
An extra year of high school helps a player grow physically and better attract college attention. But Scott says it does a lot more."

Yep LCA is one of them, here's an article on a all state QB they took. This article didn't mentioned that he was academically indelible to play at Stafford in 2018. What is really surprising, after crashing and burning at LCA in 2018 he went on to St Michaels, a catholic school in VA. We had played them twice and split with them....great competitive games. St Michaels was set to join our conference then at the last minute pulled out. We still play them in 2019 and we found out why they pulled out, their coach had gone out and recruited a few players like this...he knew they would be ineligible to play in our conference. They crushed us and went on the win the VISAA state championship . He got a scholarship to WV State but has bounced around and is in the portal now. I despise coaches who use young men in this way!!! Many other stories like this....

"And the Hurricanes allowed him to meet other players who didn’t play for him, such as quarterback Jalen Smith. Smith was a junior at Stafford High School last year and was named all-state in Class 5 after leading his team to the state semifinals.
But 2017 was his first year playing varsity quarterback, and that wasn’t enough time for him to build a résumé, he said. So he decided to transfer to a private school and reclassify to improve his chances for a scholarship.

His younger brother played for the Hurricanes, and he was familiar with Scott. The coach invited Smith to play 7-on-7 with Life Christian in the spring. Smith used the spring season as an opportunity to get a feel for the coach and the team.
By the second weekend, he was sold. He made up his mind that he would join Life Christian. He moved in with a family friend in Chesterfield to ease his daily commute, and he pushed back his graduation year to 2020.
While other private schools have put limitations on reclassifying, Life Christian has embraced it. Scott estimated that about 50 percent of the players have reclassified.
An extra year of high school helps a player grow physically and better attract college attention. But Scott says it does a lot more."

It's a lot more than 50% now then when that article was written. They are scheduling teams like DeMatha and what not now. The whole thing is a joke if you ask me. They also had an incident where a couple players got stabbed by a parent while defending one of the coaches. It really has to be a desperate last chance situation to go play there and still hardly any players ever qualify for NCAA from there. Honestly I don't understand why Life Christian Church/School stays affiliated with them.

Reactions: trapblock22

*Technically the Independent Conference schools ( Tatnall, Tower Hill etc.) can but they normally don't. The player wouldn't be allowed to play vs DIAA schools, or other states NFHS affiliated schools or in the playoffs anyway.

It’s very common with all the New England prep schools as well. A lot of kids reclassify for hockey, football and basketball up there. Their PG students are also allowed to be a year older than the prep schools in NJ and PA.

Just for educational purpose for those interested in the rule.

The 5th year hardship waiver is rare and extremely hard to get. You have to prove the hardship (illness, injury etc..) was severe enough that it made it impossible for you to do your classwork and finish high school on time. It has to have that academic tie in. I am not aware of any cases in DE that I know of that got approved. I am sure there may be one somewhere/sometime but I am not aware of it.

Also this waiver will not waive the age limit. 19 before June 15th you can't play and there is no waiver for that for contact and scoring sports

2.7.3 Waiver of the Years of Participation Rule

2.7.3.1 "Hardship" shall be defined as extenuating circumstances peculiar to the student athlete caused by unforeseen events beyond the election, control, or creation of the student athlete, the student's family, and the student’s school which (1) deprive the student of all or part of one of the student's opportunities to participate in a particular sports season; and (2) preclude the student from completing the academic requirements for graduation within the normal period of eligibility; and (3) deprive the student of all or part of one of the student's opportunities to participate in a particular sport. The waiver provision is intended to restore eligibility that has been lost as a result of a hardship situation. Injury, illness, or accident, which cause a student to fail to meet the basic requirements, are possible causes for a hardship consideration.

2.7.3.1.2 A clear and direct causal relationship must exist between the alleged hardship condition and the failure of the student to complete the academic requirements for graduation within the normal period of eligibility and the loss of all or part of one of the student's opportunities to participate in a particular sports season.

2.7.3.1.3 The burden of proof rests with the student in conjunction with the waiver process as described in Section 9.0 of 14 DE Admin. Code 1006. Claims of extended illness, debilitating injury, emotional stress, etc. must be accompanied by appropriate documentation. Evidence must be submitted to verify that the student, their parents, legal guardians, or Relative Caregiver sought assistance to ameliorate the effects of the hardship condition.

2.1 Eligibility, Age

2.1.1 Students who become 19 years of age on or after June 15 immediately preceding the student’s year of participation shall be eligible for all sports provided all other eligibility requirements are met. In determining the age of a contestant, the birth date as entered on the birth record of the Bureau of Vital Statistics shall be required and shall be so certified on all eligibility lists.

2.1.1.1 Requests for a waiver of the age requirement shall only be considered for participation on an unofficial, nonscoring basis in noncontact or non collision sports.
Yep very rare I actually only know one kid and his situation was bad he deserved it

Reactions: BackinBlack86
I had a post about it in another thread but reclassifying is actually very common - most just do it before HS because in most states once that clock starts you you are 4 to play 4.

now there are prep schools -
friends League in Philly, NE schools like Salisbury, Deerfield, etc, Culver and WRA, etc - and they all allow it. More so for lacrosse - to be transparent several I I just listed REQUIRE it when you transfer or go there. Interact and MIAA do t allow it in HS but most players do it in 8th grade.

football heavy states like TX, FL, etc it’s normal for football players to graduate at 19 for the big factories. Same for lacrosse.

it’s rare in DE but I personally know about 5 or 6 kids that did it for lacrosse and football rhat
Are playing in DE right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT