NC State Wrestling Release

dawrestling

Top 100 Prospect
May 20, 2007
Fallbrook, CA
www.302sports.com
---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Sat, May 1, 2021 at 7:15 PM
Subject: NC STATE WRESTLING: Wolfpack Wrestling Clubs Claims Three National Titles at Senior Nationals
To:

Press Release Header Template copy copy.jpg

Wolfpack Wrestling Clubs Claims Three National Titles at Senior Nationals
Gwiazdowski named Most Outstanding Wrestler Winning 125kg

Coralville, Iowa – The Wolfpack Wrestling Club claimed three national titles at the 2021 U.S. Senior Nationals, and all six wrestlers that competed brought home podium finishes.

Jakob Camacho was first up in the finals, and captured the Pack’s first title. At 57 kg, Camacho used a pair of third period takedowns, after the score was tied 3-3, to score an 8-6 win over Wisconsin’s Rotondo. Camacho was 3-0 for the tournament, outscoring his foes 32-7.

“A lot of ups and downs this year, I just wanted to put it all on the line this weekend,” said Camacho. “I wanted to have fun, and it was a hard fought battle (in the finals).”

In a low-scoring championship bout at 74 kg, Hayden Hidlay brought home top honors with a 2-1 win over former Missouri NCAA Finalist Lavallee, 2-1. A second period step out for Hidlay proved to be the match winner. Hidlay was a perfect 4-0, outscoring his foes 42-4.

“I tried my best and that is all that matters. It wasn’t the best that I’ve wrestled,” said Hidlay. “These last few weeks were stressful. I feel like I’m getting better and making gains and results like this help see the progress.”

Nick Gwiazdowksi closed out the Pack’s title run, claiming top honors at heavyweight. Gwiazodwksi used a pair of four-point moves, and came away with a 12-0 tech fall win over Iowa’s Cassioppi in the championship bout. Gwiazdowski pitched four straight shutouts in winning the title, outscoring his foes 41-0.

“This doesn’t full fill the feeling after the Olympic Trials, but this helps the mood,”said Gwiazdowski. I enjoyed today. I didn’t give up any points, and I think I focused on some things to get better. I’m happy for how this tournament worked out.”

Trent Hidlay brought home a second place finish at 86 kg, falling to former national champion Mark Hall in the finals, 5-4. With the score tied 4-4, Hall got the winning push out with 26 seconds left. To advance to the finals, Hidlay scored a gut wrench in the final five seconds to take down former national champion Foster of Northern Iowa.

Isaac Trumble came away with a fifth place finish at 97 kg. He advanced to the semifinals, then scored a first-period pin in the fifth place bout.

The top five finishers at each senior weight class qualify for the World Team Trials in September.

Nick Reenan placed sixth at 86 kg.

In the UWW Junior Nationals division, the Pack advanced one wrestler to tomorrow’s best-fo-3 finals, which determines the 2021 Junior World Team.

Fr. Ed Scott won all five of his bouts at 70 kg, and advanced to the finals where he will face Virginia Tech’s Andonian. Scott started with back-to-back techs (12-1, 10-0) before a 15-8 win and then 11-7 in the quarterfinals. In the semifinals against Penn’s Revano, Scott’s takedown in the first, followed by a pair of pushouts in the second, proved to be enough for the 4-2 win.

The Junior finals will take place at 1 p.m. tomorrow.

In Greco-Roman action on Friday, a pair of Pack wrestlers captured podium finishes at the Junior National level. Hunter Lewis (67 kg) and Isaac Trumble (97 kg) both came away with third place finishes.

Lewis avenged a loss in the quarterfinals (5-13), with a 10-1 tech in the third place bout. Trumble advanced to the semifinals before he fell to the eventual champion, but scored a 10-4 win and 9-7 victory in the third place bout.
--
Brian Reinhardt
Director of Athletics Digital Communications
(919) 819-8317 (cell)
bcreinha@ncsu.edu
@BCReinhardt
Visit www.GoPack.com

"All electronic mail messages in connection with State business which are sent to or received by this account are subject to the NC Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT