ADVERTISEMENT

Post Season Games & Awards

I wish one of those three was a quarterback who could complete more than three passes a game

What the Sals really need if they want to beat these top 25 clubs on their schedule is an improved FOGO

What the Sals really need if they want to beat these top 25 clubs on their schedule is an improved FOGO

Agreed - FOGO and Goalie so important. I watched the Cape game vs Sals both times and another Sals game and the FOGO is clearly a weekness.

The Emmi kid graduates too so wonder how good the back up G is.

There are three or four GREAT FOGO's with in driving distance of Sals - need to pull one in. Kid at NXT 2022, Tristate 2022, Rising Sons 2022. All three would beat the current Sals FOG 80% of the time.

Agreed - FOGO and Goalie so important. I watched the Cape game vs Sals both times and another Sals game and the FOGO is clearly a weekness.

The Emmi kid graduates too so wonder how good the back up G is.

There are three or four GREAT FOGO's with in driving distance of Sals - need to pull one in. Kid at NXT 2022, Tristate 2022, Rising Sons 2022. All three would beat the current Sals FOG 80% of the time.

I am curious if any of these kids would consider playing at the private schools in Delaware instead of Sallies. While competition is not as great, it is a much better education and financial aid is available at these schools. It would definitely make the state more competitive as opposed to just having Sallies run the show. Kids would still get recruited with clubs and the private schools have been able to put out plenty of division 1 college talent: Pettit (Tower Hill/Lehigh), McCoy (Tower Hill/ Furman), Bloom (Sanford/UD), McNeill (Friends/Lafayette), Schluter (Tatnall*/Syracuse), Moyer (Archmere/Binghamton), Salamedo (Archmere/Colgate) among others.

Yeah they have a ton of talent and I know personally three kids from one of the better clubs in PA headed there - 2 mids and an attaack. Plus one of the better young D Poles in the state transfering there too.

No in state transfer has a chance of touching the field, especially at pole, in the foreseeable future.

I am curious if any of these kids would consider playing at the private schools in Delaware instead of Sallies. While competition is not as great, it is a much better education and financial aid is available at these schools. It would definitely make the state more competitive as opposed to just having Sallies run the show. Kids would still get recruited with clubs and the private schools have been able to put out plenty of division 1 college talent: Pettit (Tower Hill/Lehigh), McCoy (Tower Hill/ Furman), Bloom (Sanford/UD), McNeill (Friends/Lafayette), Schluter (Tatnall*/Syracuse), Moyer (Archmere/Binghamton), Salamedo (Archmere/Colgate) among others.

I would love to know which private school has the "much better education"????

The opportunity to play high quality opponents is something that interests players that go to Sals. Kids play on top level club teams in Jr high and don't want to regress in quality of opponent when they get to HS.

Sals should copy Hill Academy by having a "Prep" team and a "Varsity" team. Prep team has no limits of games and tournaments. Could start accepting PGs as well. Geico National Championship for example would be great so see a Delaware team in it. Varsity can play a 15 game in-state schedule and compete in the playoffs.

98% of Salesianum grads get into their 1st or 2nd choice school. Salesianum grads have gone on to all of the Military Academies, Ivy League schools, etc. Delaware has a great selection of private schools and some very good public schools as well. That said I am not sure where you can find a "much better education" or for that matter a school that can do a better job of preparing young men for the next stage of their lives than Salesianum.

Actually St Andrews is ranked as the 34th best private school in America with an average SAT score of 1370, compared to Sallies rank of 659 and average SAT of 1240. Just saying

Archmere actually ranks higher also, but for student athletes it’s not even close, Sallies blows the competition away. Archmere average SAT is also 1270.

I’m a huge proponent of Sallies, with a average SAT of 1270 while playing a very competitive sports schedule the student athletes there imo are very rounded and more ready when they leave High School to take on college, military academies and the away from home college experience.

Actually St Andrews is ranked as the 34th best private school in America with an average SAT score of 1370, compared to Sallies rank of 659 and average SAT of 1240. Just saying
1370 vs 1240 is not “much better” in my eyes. Especially when you are paying $17,000 more than Sallies. I am sure that Saint Andrews is a great school for the 300 kids that go there. I am sure they go to all the right Ivy League schools just like the kids from Sallies. But I dont buy the much better tag.

Look as I said, I am a proponent of Sallies but the question was referring to education. Being ranked 34th in the country means they are a better private school in regards to education and they should be for that hefty price tag. The student to teacher ratio is like 6:1. You know what they say, if you don’t want to know don’t ask. Back to lacrosse, I digress. Hopefully my Riders can make a game of it.

Last edited:
If the folks that run Sallies wanted to raise their lowly academic standards all they would need do is sharply reduce the admitted student total and of course, double the tuition. More years ago than I care to admit, I graduated from there. Today, I doubt that they would admit me with a waiting list.

Reactions: 84rider and 1987lax
1370 vs 1240 is not “much better” in my eyes. Especially when you are paying $17,000 more than Sallies. I am sure that Saint Andrews is a great school for the 300 kids that go there. I am sure they go to all the right Ivy League schools just like the kids from Sallies. But I dont buy the much better tag.

Perhaps the "much better" phrase was incorrect. However, the student bodies at these private schools are much more diverse than the all boys, athlete intensive one at Sallies. Sallies is definitely the best school for athletes, no debate about it, but most of them aren't playing past college. Excluding the Donte Divencenzos and Brian O'neills of Sallies, maybe a more well rounded education featured at the private schools would serve these students better as the prepare for adulthood. Understandably so, this is expensive and clearly not everyone agrees with the value of a private school education. My post was never intended to upset anyone, but rather to try to bring up an idea that could strengthen the state as a whole in terms of competitive lacrosse teams.

Perhaps the "much better" phrase was incorrect. However, the student bodies at these private schools are much more diverse than the all boys, athlete intensive one at Sallies. Sallies is definitely the best school for athletes, no debate about it, but most of them aren't playing past college. Excluding the Donte Divencenzos and Brian O'neills of Sallies, maybe a more well rounded education featured at the private schools would serve these students better as the prepare for adulthood. Understandably so, this is expensive and clearly not everyone agrees with the value of a private school education. My post was never intended to upset anyone, but rather to try to bring up an idea that could strengthen the state as a whole in terms of competitive lacrosse teams.
I can only assume that you really don't understand Salesianum. There are WAY more non-athletes at the school than there are competitive athletes. Many schools prepare kids for the SAT's. Sallies prepares kids for college and for life in general. If you want your kid to go to a different school...more power to you. No need to knock other people and their choices for what they feel is best for their child. Now let's get back to Lacrosse.

Reactions: FolesKnows9
Sallies should win comfortably and they'll maintain their dominance for a long time. Heard they have 3 poles coming from out of state, great size, elite travel caliber and they already have talent at the position.

I think its great that Sallies is able to attract great talent from out of state, but at what point is it unfair to continue playing for the same state championship as public schools like Cape or CR that have to count on local kids only?

Sallies is beatable but state teams have to be senior laden and play the perfect game to do it. In years past Cape and Hill kept it close and Sals got tight. It could have happened tonight. In fact I had the feeling it was headed that way. This game was great for 3 quarters. But then it got away from CR at the end.

Sallies is beatable but state teams have to be senior laden and play the perfect game to do it. In years past Cape and Hill kept it close and Sals got tight. It could have happened tonight. In fact I had the feeling it was headed that way. This game was great for 3 quarters. But then it got away from CR at the end.

Agreed they are beatable and its great to see two public schools put up a bit of a challenge the last two games. I thought CR had a chance today too but they seemed to get a little nervous at the end and made too many simple mistakes that you can't make against a team of Sallies caliber.

Reactions: 84rider
No in state transfer has a chance of touching the field, especially at pole, in the foreseeable future.

With Fowler - SR, Kennedy - JR, Marion - JR it would be tough to break through that group.

The rest beyond that are average at best, Rotura (LSM) and Dungy (4th D currently) are good but not great though figure Dungy will take over fo Fowler when he gradutates.

D I am referencing plays at the same level as those kids listed above, OOS high end club, so the rich get richer.

The opportunity to play high quality opponents is something that interests players that go to Sals. Kids play on top level club teams in Jr high and don't want to regress in quality of opponent when they get to HS.

Sals should copy Hill Academy by having a "Prep" team and a "Varsity" team. Prep team has no limits of games and tournaments. Could start accepting PGs as well. Geico National Championship for example would be great so see a Delaware team in it. Varsity can play a 15 game in-state schedule and compete in the playoffs.

Agreed thats why kids I know that play OOC club want to play there. Better competition - one quote from a kid I know that played HS this year as an 8th grader. Said "I face toughter compeition in club every weekend then anyone I faced in HS this year." The kid is staying with his current school from what his parents told me but they basically said he was bored and will focus more on club.

Agreed they are beatable and its great to see two public schools put up a bit of a challenge the last two games. I thought CR had a chance today too but they seemed to get a little nervous at the end and made too many simple mistakes that you can't make against a team of Sallies caliber.

They are beatable but not many teams will have the "guns" needed in a game You need 3+ shooters to force thier D to spread out and cover more then 1 or 2 guys. Hell CR had that - Stevenson, Longest, Cosden, etc - and still didnt beat them. Same thing on D most high end HS teams in DE might have 1 good D pole to beat Sallies you need 2 or 3 or they will just isloate on the weak one and score a ton.

Most HS teams in DE have 1 or 2 high end club players and some dont even have that. Pretty much every starter for Sallies plays top end ball, I know alot of the kids on Sallies and off the top of my head this year starting line up had HHH, Annapolis Hawks, Fusion, Mesa, Man Up, NXT, and maybe a Roughrider.

For comparison the best club option instate I would argue is 302 and all those teams I just listed above probably beat 302 by 10+ goals.

The in-state transfer might play great travel but he doesn't play at the level the next incoming group plays at. There's no comparison. There's no pole in Delaware HS right now that can transfer to Sallies and gets minute of playing time.

As far as it being unfair, Sallies is what it is. Everybody is always taking players away from someone. Delaware public schools will grab a transfer in a heartbeat. Not everyone in CR was in the CR system their entire career and if a great Dover or Poly kid decided to transfer to CR, CR would grab them in a heartbeat.

All that matters is CR had an amazing season and was within a goal or 2 almost the entire game. For about half the game I really felt like CR was going to pull the upset. CR and Cape play elite out of state teams and would play more if they could. I don't see the need to penalize Sals or diminish their accomplishments, especially since CR had a great season and played them very well the 2nd time around.

For all of their success, Sals are still beatable and CR was very close for a long time in that game. I guarantee Sals staff will work hard to fix problems they saw yesterday, not like they are just kicking their feet up and recruiting players. They put in a lot of work and probably see a lot of work that they still need to do.

On the other hand, in state parents should be aware that they are deep and at some point are just recruiting to get good players off other teams. Just because you think you are getting a ton of love from their staff doesn't mean they'll play. If they are talking to you, they are talking to 20 other parents. Are they just trying to keep you from going to a team they play against or will see in the playoffs or do they actually want you in their lineup.

The in-state transfer might play great travel but he doesn't play at the level the next incoming group plays at. There's no comparison. There's no pole in Delaware HS right now that can transfer to Sallies and gets minute of playing time.

As far as it being unfair, Sallies is what it is. Everybody is always taking players away from someone. Delaware public schools will grab a transfer in a heartbeat. Not everyone in CR was in the CR system their entire career and if a great Dover or Poly kid decided to transfer to CR, CR would grab them in a heartbeat.

All that matters is CR had an amazing season and was within a goal or 2 almost the entire game. For about half the game I really felt like CR was going to pull the upset. CR and Cape play elite out of state teams and would play more if they could. I don't see the need to penalize Sals or diminish their accomplishments, especially since CR had a great season and played them very well the 2nd time around.

For all of their success, Sals are still beatable and CR was very close for a long time in that game. I guarantee Sals staff will work hard to fix problems they saw yesterday, not like they are just kicking their feet up and recruiting players. They put in a lot of work and probably see a lot of work that they still need to do.
I thought we might see the upset too when it was 9-7 CR had the momentum. Was a great game.

Look, Sallies sets the bar for Delaware Lacrosse.... I believe they make other teams better. As I’ve said before and will always say, who cares where they get their players from, beat them if you don’t like them, practice more and get your feeder program up to par.

I think its great that Sallies is able to attract great talent from out of state, but at what point is it unfair to continue playing for the same state championship as public schools like Cape or CR that have to count on local kids only?
Dios Mio, I am so sick of hearing this. It happens in the publics too. The CH girls have won the lax title like ten times in a row and nobody cares about that.

Lastly, it would be incredible naive to assume Sal's end game is to scoop up kids from other DE schools. They are looking way beyond our area and that includes the PA area.

Lastly, it would be incredible naive to assume Sal's end game is to scoop up kids from other DE schools. They are looking way beyond our area and that includes the PA area.

Agreed Southern PA is there bread and butter - kids that live in Kennett, Unionville, etc.

Look, Sallies sets the bar for Delaware Lacrosse.... I believe they make other teams better. As I’ve said before and will always say, who cares where they get their players from, beat them if you don’t like them, practice more and get your feeder program up to par.

Agreed it’s no coincidence that Cape, CR and Appo have been the best public school teams. They have the best feeder programs - MOT, Atlantic / Beacon / Mariner, Fifer, etc

Better feeder = better team.

Exactly, there will be NY kids there as early as next season.

That’s a game changer - my son plays in PA/NJ and as I am sure you know that’s a different level beast right there. Played box against 91 from LI and I would put $ on it thier 2022 team would beat any team not named Sallies in the state and to be honest might beat them too.

I was impressed with the out of state teams that CR and Cape were able to schedule. They need to continue heading in that direction. They are both stuck playing a few very bad teams in conference but maybe they can drop games against MOT or Saint Marks (teams that CR and Cape dominate ) and schedule a few more tough out of state games. Even if it means an additional lose or two, both teams will still get in the state tournament every year. Maybe they can convince one or two of the Sals' opponents to stay an extra day and head to Camden or the beach.

I was impressed with the out of state teams that CR and Cape were able to schedule. They need to continue heading in that direction. They are both stuck playing a few very bad teams in conference but maybe they can drop games against MOT or Saint Marks (teams that CR and Cape dominate ) and schedule a few more tough out of state games. Even if it means an additional lose or two, both teams will still get in the state tournament every year. Maybe they can convince one or two of the Sals' opponents to stay an extra day and head to Camden or the beach.
Great idea. Good for DE lacrosse and will be fun for the kids

CR seems tied to St Marks for the Reynolds Festival, but I think they could both player in that event and just not play each other.

Cape doesn't have any poor out of conference opponents to replace with anything else.

Would be nice is some conferences were realigned, sussex central should move to the South, and the Middletown schools should leave Blue Hen for Cape-North.

Reactions: Tarzan79
Funny how people think Sals recruits and CR doesn't. Out of CRs 35 player roster you think they all live in the district?
Conference realignment is a great idea that will never happen.
Sals/CR/Cape NOT playing for the same state title is a JOKE, when is the last public school team to beat Cape besides CR or Appo?

Reactions: DEHSFan22
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT