ADVERTISEMENT

Potter's Field No More

Uncle Bumfuzzled

D1AA Prospect
Sep 11, 2012
Got this from my son in law 10 minutes ago..

EVENTS | CONNECT | GET INVOLVED

Historic gift to Salesianum

Signing1BKRA.jpg

Salesianum is proud to announce a landmark $16,000,000 gift from Rocco A. Abessinio ’59 and the Rocco A. & Mary Abessinio Foundation. The gift will be used to fund the construction of a new stadium on the Baynard Site and also continue the Abessinio family’s commitment to the Salesianum School Endowment.

This gift is the third largest gift to a Catholic secondary school in the United States and the largest gift ever to a private school in Delaware.

In recognition of his commitment to Salesianum, the school will name the stadium in Mr. Abessinio’s honor. While the Baynard Stadium lease agreement was rightfully celebrated by the Salesianum and Wilmington communities alike, the ultimate realization of the vision set forth in that agreement was always dependent upon securing the resources to fund the proposed changes. This gift is a major step towards achieving this reality. With this gift, Salesianum is hopeful that demolition of Baynard Stadium can begin in early summer 2019, with Abessinio Stadium completed in time for the football season of 2020. Salesianum is eager to get started and confident that entire school community shares our joy in this announcement and joins us in thanking the Abessinios for their continued leadership.

Salesianum has evolved from a small, fledgling school - founded with just four students - to an institution with graduates across the globe, and a reach far beyond our corner of 18th & Broom. That journey required vision, but it also required generosity. Today, we celebrate both. We are grateful for Rocco and Mary Frances's unprecedented investment in our mission, and doing so with an understanding that the dividends will be shared by everyone in our community for years to come.

Tenui Nec Dimittam,

Bksigniturev3.jpg

Brendan P. Kennealey '94

So where is everyone playing 2019 season? Caravel and Tower Hill ? lol jk

Will DMA new stadium be ready for 2019?

The house that Rocco built... If it were a dome it could be The Rocco Dome

Broom St Mansion

Sals Mahal

Last edited:
This is going to lead to an arms race.

St. E is already plotting on Canby Park and DMA will have an on campus stadium this season, where that leaves Howard, God only knows.

But a lot of memories are tied to the Baynard name and facility for folks of a certain age and the gift is nice, but it is officially the end of an era.

Reactions: Chesdel
The current teams that play regular season games at Baynard will continue to do so for as long as they want.

Where is everyone going to play 2019 season is my question? Baynard will be rubble. Demo set to begin May 2019 wont be ready until right before the 2020 season

Good question. Over the last couple of decades the Sals have played a home game at Caravel (due to weather). Also, they have played one or 2 games at Brandywine. I think maybe there was a home game at William Penn years ago.....

As for other schools, the AD's generally have good relationships. They will figure it out....

This is going to lead to an arms race.

St. E is already plotting on Canby Park and DMA will have an on campus stadium this season, where that leaves Howard, God only knows.

But a lot of memories are tied to the Baynard name and facility for folks of a certain age and the gift is nice, but it is officially the end of an era.
St. E's plan died from my understanding

Rocco devised a type of credit card which people with rotten credit could use to repair their credit history.

My understanding is the StE project is still on. Pool demolishing within next three month. This Sallies deal only makes it easier to happen. Anyone that’s against making city land better is a fool. As for Howard my understanding is the city has given money to build a stadium for them.

My understanding is the StE project is still on. Pool demolishing within next three month. This Sallies deal only makes it easier to happen. Anyone that’s against making city land better is a fool. As for Howard my understanding is the city has given money to build a stadium for them.
I know the city was planning on fixing the pools at a few sites and turfing a field somewhere. It wasn't at St. E's to the best of my knowledge. The Howard piece seems interesting. Brandywine School District was supposed to be turfing the P.S. stadium in a deal with the city. I have heard nothing since. Might that be the Howard piece??

The city will spend will allocate approx $3 M for Eden Park. Unsure of any big investments in Canby right now.

Howard has played in the Old Wilmington Ballpark and Baynard for a long time....I am sure they will continue to play at Baynard.

Next year, I would think the Sals would play games at Brandywine and possibly one at Caravel. Could flip another home and away with someone.

Bummy is happy for the investment in a property in the city.

On a side note, Bummy officially became a Sals fan in summer of 2018 after a lengthy intervention and conversion process orchestrated by my son in law. How am I rewarded? They tear the stadium down!

The PS upgrade and stadium process met with stiff opposition from 9th Ward residents. This had been advocated by city councilman Theo Gregory.

I believe he turned his sights on Eden which isn't surrounded by 40 blocks of dense housing.

This is from the Dec 17 NCC VoTech Board of Ed Agenda

b. RFQ 1902 – Architect for Howard Athletic Fields
c. RFQ 1903 – Construction Manager for Howard Athletic Fields

Scope of Services
Kirkwood Park is currently owned by the City of Wilmington; however, the District is working with the City to redesign Kirkwood Park for expanded use of Howard High School and modification to the existing park areas for use of the general public. The new facilities would include a practice field, main game field with viewing areas, relocated playground, relocated pavilion structure, reconstructed restroom building, relocated basketball courts and new playground facilities. Additionally, the existing Clifford Brown Statue Plaza and Formal Garden Structure may be removed/relocated/reimagined in some form or combination to best suit the school and community needs.

Last edited:
The city will spend will allocate approx $3 M for Eden Park. Unsure of any big investments in Canby right now.

Howard has played in the Old Wilmington Ballpark and Baynard for a long time....I am sure they will continue to play at Baynard.

Next year, I would think the Sals would play games at Brandywine and possibly one at Caravel. Could flip another home and away with someone.

Bummy is happy for the investment in a property in the city.
Salesianum playing at Brandywine High? They don't even let their team play on the field when it sprinkles. I find it hard to believe they would let them tear their field up. Even if the AD is an alum.

With Sals coming in as favorites next year wherever they play will have to be able to handle fairly large crowds. Can TH handle that type of crowd? or would it be a no go for TH to allow Sals to play there?. Dont forget they have to find places to play for all the other sports that use Baynard as well

Never been to Brandywine but from google maps looks like they have the seating but is that field up kept enough to handle the pounding?

I am guessing Soccer, Field Hockey and Lax may be able to use Wilmington Universities complex on Pulaski some or even Kirkwood?

Last edited:

Scope of Services
Kirkwood Park is currently owned by the City of Wilmington; however, the District is working with the City to redesign Kirkwood Park for expanded use of Howard High School and modification to the existing park areas for use of the general public. The new facilities would include a practice field, main game field with viewing areas, relocated playground, relocated pavilion structure, reconstructed restroom building, relocated basketball courts and new playground facilities. Additionally, the existing Clifford Brown Statue Plaza and Formal Garden Structure may be removed/relocated/reimagined in some form or combination to best suit the school and community needs.

Heard there was a meeting at Howard last night and the community wasn't very receptive to it, which makes me shake my head as an East Side native. That neighborhood needs ANY bit of good news and positive development and people are upset about it.

With Sals coming in as favorites next year wherever they play will have to be able to handle fairly large crowds. Can TH handle that type of crowd? or would it be a no go for TH to allow Sals to play there?. Dont forget they have to find places to play for all the other sports that use Baynard as well

Never been to Brandywine but from google maps looks like they have the seating but is that field up kept enough to handle the pounding?

I am guessing Soccer, Field Hockey and Lax may be able to use Wilmington Universities complex on Pulaski some or even Kirkwood?
Soccer plays on the school grounds, no field hockey, and lax would need to find space because of baseball. Real good point on the football crowd. Maybe they just play every game away next year for football??

Soccer plays on the school grounds, no field hockey, and lax would need to find space because of baseball. Real good point on the football crowd. Maybe they just play every game away next year for football??

I was considering the other 2 schools in that Howard and St E's with the girls sports for them as well but I don't know if they all played at Baynard or where... I assume DMA is handled with their own fields for next year

Playing every game away may be an option but then the schools on their schedule may have other stuff scheduled for their field while the football team was supposed to be away... Will be interesting to see how they work it all out. CA is always seems willing to help if their field is available

I know the city was planning on fixing the pools at a few sites and turfing a field somewhere. It wasn't at St. E's to the best of my knowledge. The Howard piece seems interesting. Brandywine School District was supposed to be turfing the P.S. stadium in a deal with the city. I have heard nothing since. Might that be the Howard piece??

City of Wilmington has money from somewhere. They have bought over 50k worth of trailers from me this year as well as a crap load of new trucks from Bayshore.. I was kidding with the public works guys the last time they were here picking out trailers asked them what did you guys dig up a stash of gold under the city somewhere lol

Last edited:

Scope of Services

...was totally unaware of this. Thanks for the information. I know that Howard has practiced on the field behind the school on property that was contiguous to Stubbs Elementary School. Kirkwood Park is right behind Stubbs. It seems small for a HS FB stadium. Good stuff.

Stubbs will likely be closed as a part of Carney's Christina consolidation plan, so that means the room will exist. It's a question of whether old East Siders will get out of the way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT