ADVERTISEMENT

Pre-Season Girls Highschool basketball Team and All-State Rankings for Delaware 2021- 22 Season

Justabasketballfan

Getting reps on JV
Mar 16, 2015
Girls High school basketball Pre-season Rankings for 2021- 22 Season

Well we are back to a full high school season this year with the pandemic issues somewhat behind us. I truly hope that this year goes with out a hitch and they don’t shut down the season. I know the kids in general especially if your a senior with in the past years trying to vie for college scholarships puts a damper on some of there aspirations. Last years season seen a lot of schools not participate or did not complete there season for various reasons, but now all schools seem to be all in this season which is a great thing for our athletes trying to obtain college scholarships for the sport they play. With that being said here is my pre-season team and player All-state rankings and synopsis for the upcoming season.

1 Sanford- This team is the clear cut favorite to win it this year. Why? They have two seniors in Amiya Carroll (Monmouth commit), and Abby Meredith, they have two juniors in Azaeya Kilgoe (offered by multiple D1 schools), and Dallas Pierce (offered by many D1 schools), and a freshman in Jada Snow that have made noise this past summer during the AAU circuit. Especially Dallas Pierce who put on a show in Spooky Nook during the live period. They have a great supporting cast and have been battled tested last year by making it all the way to the championship game, losing to St. Elizabeth in a nail biter. Baring any major set backs they are the favorites to win it this year.

2 Cape Henlopen- This team I feel will be the closest team to compete against Sanford. They lost last year to feisty Woodbridge team in the second round. They have 7 seniors returning led by Mehkia Applewhite (who will also be making a run for player of the year), Morgan Mahoney, and Julia Saleur. This is there last effort to get to the title game with all the talent and experience they have this year.

3 Caravel- What can I say about this program. They have a great tradition of getting to the big dance and not winning for whatever the reason. They have last years player of the year in senior India Johnston who can score in bunches, if the supporting cast of sophomores Jasiyah Crawford, Anaya Price, and Freshman Katherine Lange be a little more consistent in there production this team could have a shot at beating Sanford.

4 St. Elizabeth- Last years state champs are back! They are led by senior Rory Ciszkowski. With a great supporting cast of sophomores Erika Huggins, and sophomore transfer from Mount Pleasant Sydney Hilliard. They will be back in the hunt to try compete for another championship.

5 Ursuline- Well, this year is going to be tough. They lost a lot of offensive power to graduation. They have Juniors Hanna Kelley, and Sophia Filipowski returning to a very young Ursuline team. And they will get younger for next years team as well. Because the youth movement is in. In the next two years based on whats at that school now they will be a nationally ranked team. But for now they will take there educational lumps.

6 Woodbridge- I love this teams scrappiness. They clawed and scrapped the way to a final four birth where they lost to Sanford in last years playoffs. They have been beating the downstate teams on a consistent basis. And they will continue there winnings ways this year. They are led by Juniors Payton Keeler, and De’Asya Jones, along with Sophomore Reghan Robinson.

7 Archmere- This team lost in the Semi finals to sanford last year. They lost a lot of fire power to graduation last year. But they are returning back Seniors Lauren Kim, Junior Lydia Scarpaci, and Lucy Oliver. The experience will keep them in the hunt.

8 Delamarva Christian- This team played there hearts out last year. Losing to Woodbridge in a close game in the Semi finals. This young team has made a mark last year and will try to repeat from the experience. They have one lone senior returning and that is Sierra Troyer, and juniors Ainsley Bell, and Evelyn Jensen who will shoulder the load in the offense.

9 Appoquinimink- This team fared well last year. They lost to Mt. Pleasant in the second round of the tournament. They lost a lot senior experience to graduation. But last years freshman and now sophomore Deja Martin will shoulder a lot of the offense. But she will have some help with St. Georges transfer sophomore Kyla Reed, along with junior Adia Jones. They will attempt to duplicate there play from last year.

10 Padua- The pandemic hurt this team very much. They finished with 13 games played and although they made the tournament. They forfeited the play in game vs DMA. Now with a full schedule and the pandemic behind us they are looking to get back on track to reestablishing themselves as high power house. They return 5 seniors led by Kate Maclennan, and Natalia Frabizzio along with super sophomore Grace Treotola. Strength of schedule will get them into the playoffs.

Other schools to watch out for: Hodgson, St. Georges, Caeser Rodney, Wilmington Friends, St. Marks, Mt. Pleasant, and Tatnall

*** Again, this is based on last years standings and rosters and what I picked up through my travels so far. A lot of teams had played under ten games before canceling there season.***

Pre-season All State:
First Team

(Player of the year) India Johnston, Senior, Caravel
Mehkia Applewhite, Senior, Cape Henlopen
Amiya Carroll, Senior, Sanford
Azaeya Kilgoe, Junior, Sanford
Morgan Mahoney, Senior, Cape Henlopen

Second Team
Rory Ciszkowski, Senior, St. Elizabeth
Dallas Pierce, Junior, Sanford
Maya Braxton- Young, Sophomore, Hodgson (I'm hearing she is transferring to a school in PA)
Julia Saleur, Senior, Cape Henlopen
Lauren Kim, Senior, Archmere

Third Team
Jada Snow, Freshman, Sanford
Jasiyah Crawford, Sophomore, Caravel
Stacey Deputy, Senior, Caeser Rodney
Abby Meredith, Senior, Sanford
Emma Brown, Senior, Wilmington Charter

Other Players to watch:
Ja’Mai BensonMount Pleasant
Sr​
Elia RichardsonSt. George’s
Jr​
Reghan RobinsonWoodbridge
Soph​
Jayde RiveraSmyrna
Jr​
Jalyne BaileyLake Forest
Sr​
Hannah KellyUrsuline
Jr​
Erin GlanzConrad
Jr​
Layla DallamBrandywine
Jr​
Emma KirbyTatnall
Jr​
Emani Lucas-DavisDelcastle
Sr​
Kate MaClennanPadua
Sr​
Myaja BynumDover
Jr​
De’Asya JonesWoodbridge
Jr​
Cherish BryantTatnall
Fr​
Heaven HendricksDover
Sr​
Maria GranitoPolytech
Sr​

Last edited:
Looks good to me. Sanford has an incredible roster of talent coming back, as does Cape and Caravel. Looking forward to seeing how the new faces and role players stepping up will mesh at St. E. Flight A looks to be a dogfight with Appo/Mount/St. G returning much of their rosters, that might be the most intriguing conference/division race of the regular season, boys or girls.

Well just like i predicted. India Johnston is the player of the year for second year in a row. And in the championship will come down to the schools i figured that would make it in caravel and Sanford. Now unless Caravel changes there style of play between now and friday Sanford will win it again by ten points or more. The last time they played them Sanford won by 20 points with India score 27. Caravel's scoring output is going to have to be a lot better. Supporting cast of Crawford and Wilkins are going to have to have a great game for them to get the upset. Other than that look for Sanford to be crown champs by the end of friday.

Well just like i predicted. India Johnston is the player of the year for second year in a row. And in the championship will come down to the schools i figured that would make it in caravel and Sanford. Now unless Caravel changes there style of play between now and friday Sanford will win it again by ten points or more. The last time they played them Sanford won by 20 points with India score 27. Caravel's scoring output is going to have to be a lot better. Supporting cast of Crawford and Wilkins are going to have to have a great game for them to get the upset. Other than that look for Sanford to be crown champs by the end of friday.
I will agree that Sanford is the favorite & the more well-rounded team but with Amiya Carroll out w/ the shoulder injury she suffered in last night's semifinal game, Caravel will come into this one thinking that they have a real shot.

It's been sad to see a number of talented young ladies on good teams go down w/ injuries towards the end of the season & during the playoffs...Chasity "Speedy" Wilson (St. Georges), Imirah Trader (A.I.), Emma Brown (Wilmington Charter) & just last night Emma Kirby (Tatnall) & Amiya Carroll (Sanford). The door opened up for Caravel last night big time.

Last edited:
Reactions: bamee123
I will agree that Sanford is the favorite & the more well-rounded team but with Amiya Carroll out w/ the shoulder injury she suffered in last night's semifinal game, Caravel will come into this one thinking that they have a real shot.

It's been sad to see a number of talented young ladies on good teams go down w/ injuries towards the end of the season & during the playoffs...Chasity "Speedy" Wilson (St. Georges), Imirah Trader (A.I.), Emma Brown (Wilmington Charter) & just last night Emma Kirby (Tatnall) & Amiya Carroll (Sanford). The door opened up for Caravel last night big time.

Those two injuries last night REALLY put a damper on the semis. Emma was having a tremendous game for Tatnall, keeping them in the game and then she has that non-contact injury.

Amiya was playing well as usual, she got a steal, went to throw a pass and next thing you know she's holding her arm. Very disappointing.

Still think Sanford has to be the favorite because moving Zoe Kashner into the starting five gives them similar shooting and rebounding, it's just a slight difference in speed between the two.

Reactions: J12
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT