ADVERTISEMENT

Round 2 Playoff Predictions

Thoughts:
Caravel, wins easy - too tough. They do not make mistakes. Newark will have 3 turnovers.

Archmere - beats Howard. Have had weeks to get ready, and will be just that, READY!

St. Marks - too big, and too much skill in all areas. Red Lion will be under pressure all night.

Lake in an upset: Lake will play its most disciplined game of the year and will turnover Friends multiple times. Calling for at least one Kick-off or punt return.

Smyrna too much for an overrated Middletown team. Middletown can be pounded upfront and will be in this contest.

St. Georges upsets Dover and sets up a Chip game vs. Smyrna.

Laurel wins easy.
Seaford upsets banged up St. E's team.

more to come.

Just what makes Middletown overrated? I’m curious to hear this. They are definitely the underdog vs Smyrna , but anyone else left in the field would they be? Smyrna has been more consistent all year with out a doubt, but looking closely at it ,what’s the difference in Smyrna beating the Sals 42-21 and Middletown beating them34-7? These are two best teams and will be a tight contest. But Middletown overstated is an opinion that needs clarification.

Reactions: Huskerman7
Its not overrated it is match ups. Example - I think St. Georges beats Dover. Think they will be too much for them and QB is ready to break out. IF I am correct, and Smyrna plays St. Georges, I think it is a heck of a game. If mIddletown were to beat Smyrna and Middletown plays St. Georges, I think Middletown beats them easy. Again, just on matchups.

Thoughts:
Caravel, wins easy - too tough. They do not make mistakes. Newark will have 3 turnovers.

Archmere - beats Howard. Have had weeks to get ready, and will be just that, READY!

St. Marks - too big, and too much skill in all areas. Red Lion will be under pressure all night.

Lake in an upset: Lake will play its most disciplined game of the year and will turnover Friends multiple times. Calling for at least one Kick-off or punt return.

Smyrna too much for an overrated Middletown team. Middletown can be pounded upfront and will be in this contest.

St. Georges upsets Dover and sets up a Chip game vs. Smyrna.

Laurel wins easy.
Seaford upsets banged up St. E's team.

more to come.
So here is a “What if?” Comment. What if Seaford does upset St. E and Laurel also wins - does it then make sense for those teams to both travel 180 miles (round trip) to UD to play in front of a few hundred fans? Would it make more sense for them to play at DelState or at Milford High in front of possibly 1-2,000 people? Should DIAA consider a “back up” site in an instance like that? I think many more fans would attend that game if it were downstate.

So here is a “What if?” Comment. What if Seaford does upset St. E and Laurel also wins - does it then make sense for those teams to both travel 180 miles (round trip) to UD to play in front of a few hundred fans? Would it make more sense for them to play at DelState or at Milford High in front of possibly 1-2,000 people? Should DIAA consider a “back up” site in an instance like that? I think many more fans would attend that game if it were downstate.
No. Part of the reward for playing for a state title is the opportunity to play in Delaware Stadium. Sure, it would be more convenient for the fans for the game to be closer, but it’s not about them.

pretty sure the 1a title game is scheduled for noon on championship day too. Early travel for the Laurel/seaford potential game

Speaking of schedule - my god these games are tight. 1a at noon, 3a at 330, 2a at 6. Cram the unified game in between the 1a and 3a game.

no chance that 2a game starts on time

The DIAA is not going to have football championships at 2 different sites. The soccer finalists proposed moving their games last Saturday since all 4 were from above the canal, and they were turned down by the DIAA. They had to play at Dover.

I think the DIAA should consider moving football back to Del State.

pretty sure the 1a title game is scheduled for noon on championship day too. Early travel for the Laurel/seaford potential game

Speaking of schedule - my god these games are tight. 1a at noon, 3a at 330, 2a at 6. Cram the unified game in between the 1a and 3a game.

no chance that 2a game starts on time
Unified is before the other games, but that's still a very tight schedule. I saw several games this season go over 2.5 hours.

The DIAA is not going to have football championships at 2 different sites. The soccer finalists proposed moving their games last Saturday since all 4 were from above the canal, and they were turned down by the DIAA. They had to play at Dover.

I think the DIAA should consider moving football back to Del State.
Moving it to UD was always a dumb idea. Any downstate team gets screwed while the upstate teams have what, a 5-15 minute ride? Although I think that had more to do with Del State. Same goes for wrestling.

If Laurel makes it to the championship I am not looking forward to the ride up north. I don't like going north of Milford myself. I consider anything north of Milford part of Pennsylvania. Just joking. If Laurel and Seaford make it they should play it at a neutral sight in Sussex like a Cape, Central, or even Sussex Tech. You also have the old Wesley field. But we all know that would never fly with DIAA. I understand playing at UD is a "privilege and a reward" but if you ask the kids what they think I bet most of them do not care where it is played. They just want to play the game. Just a opinion from a slower lower resident.

I agree unless I’m traveling with the family, the only reason I go north of Smyrna is to get 18 holes in.

Reactions: Woody_Wood
Question…. When was the last time a non Will K. led Smyrna team defeated Middletown ?

Not sure I agree with the Middletown is overrated comment.

Just beat Sallies, beat Smyrna earlier this year. They have one of the better QB in the state. Solid defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT