ADVERTISEMENT

Running the Table - 18-0, 0-18

8yaz

Top 100 Prospect
Mar 22, 2007
Something I enjoy tracking each year.

We're already down to only two teams who still have a chance at going 18-0.
Sally's
Red Lion

On the other side of the coin, these teams have yet to break into the win column.
My alma mater - Brandywine
Indian River
Seaford
Sanford
Christiana - The Vikings are worth keeping an eye on. In their four games, they have been outscored 99-8. They lost 31-1 to Delmarva Christian. They lost to Howard 26-2. That was Howard's first win in two years. Christiana plays Brandywine today at 11am (I'm going to skip that one), so one of those teams will come off the futility list.

Christiana still plays team like St.Georges, Glasgow, Hodgson and Polytech. All of those games could get very ugly. I guess it's a free 3 points to teams.

How many teams have run the table?

Either way...lost all or won all

1989 Sussex central undefeated

Any others?help?

Of course they could run the table , especially if they at least have decent pitching , has anyone looked at their schedule ?

In 1998 St Marks was undefeated in the regular season but lost in the playoffs.

In 2003 St Elizabeth was undefeated in the regular season but lost in the playoffs.

Zero win seasons...

1993 Howard
1996 Howard
1997 Wilm Christian
1998 Glasgow
2001 Sanford
2005 Howard
2006 Delmarva Christian
2008 Delmarva Christian
2009 Glasgow
2009 Sanford
2012 Wm Penn
2012 Seaford
2013 Seaford
2015 Howard

Of course they could run the table , especially if they at least have decent pitching , has anyone looked at their schedule ?

I see Tatnall and Friends, possible DAPPS as the only people left on their schedule that might beat them. If I had to predict, 17-1 with the L to Tatnall. But looking closer at Tatnall they have Tower Hill 2 days before so I'm sure they will throw their best at Tower Hill.

16 wins, with bonus points from possibly Tatnall, Friends, Delcastle and Tower Hill and they are most likely in the tournament. 17 wins and it's a lock.

FF....thats kind of my fear with RLCA. That they have this extremely light schedule and get into the playoffs. I'm all for them scheduling whomever they choose. If you want to go 18-0 every year...go for it. But knocking out another team that is forced to have a tough schedule like the Henlopen teams isn't fair at all. I'm willing to bet that there are at least 10 teams that will miss the playoffs this year, that all would have most likely gone 18-0 with that schedule.

Indian river has seafood n laurel left on schedule

Win those two come in 4th in henlopen south...you all know how tough the henlopen conference is...lol

And then there was one. As of games yesterday we only have one remaining undefeated team (Red Lion) as Sally's lost to The Evil Empire at Frawley last night.

Remaining winless.
Indian River is now 0-8 with their loss to Caravel yesterday.
Seaford is now 0-6 with their loss to Smyrna yesterday.
Sanford is now 0-8 with their loss yesterday to DAPSS

IR and Seaford square off Saturday so we will be able to get one of these teams off the futility list.

Reactions: spartakos
Sanford remains winless (0-9) after their 18-0 loss to Tatnall yesterday.

And then there was one. As of games yesterday we only have one remaining undefeated team (Red Lion) as Sally's lost to The Evil Empire at Frawley last night.
Wait, Sallies/St. Marks...which one is "The Evil Empire"? I forget...it gets confusing! :)
Sparty...of course, you see....there!

Nothing i hate worse than bad baseball is teams forfeiting.

Mabye i'm being grumpy, but if you forfeit games there should be some penalties involved. Maybe even so harsh as not allowing the team to suit a varsity team the following year if there are more than one forfeit???? I don't know. Hopefully it wasn't a serious issue like an emergency situation or health related somehow. But I just don't think its fair to the rest of the teams. Especially when there are only 18 games and a team like Glasgow now only has 17 games to play this year. I think it was pretty safe to bet that Glasgow was going to win that game so i don't think there would be playoff or conference considerations, but it was opportunity to get on the field for Glasgow and to probably get some younger guys some work.

Okay...rant over

Christiana (0-7) forfeited to Glasgow today
The Christiana baseball program has been leaking oil badly this season. Looks like the engine finally seized up. Sad to see.

So if Christiana doesn't have field a team for the rest of the year what do the teams that had them scheduled do? Or is it just a forfeit?g

After Thursday's games:

Red Lion 7-0

Indian River 0-9
Sanford 0-9
Seaford 0-7
Christiana 0-7

Congrats to Indian River for getting off the schneid with their come from behind win today over Seaford.

One team remains undefeated Red Lion, and three teams remain winless, Sanford, Seaford, and Christiana.

Two games yesterday.

Red Lion remains undefeated (8-0) with a win over Tome.

On the other side, Christiana lost at Lake Forest to move to 0-8.

Red Lion moves to 9-0 with a 12-2 drubbing of McKean.

Sanford drops to 0-10 after losing 18-3 to Glasgow.

Seaford drops to 0-9 after what appears to be a very competitive 12-11 loss to Sussex Tech. I see a win on their horizon.

Last edited:
Red Lion moves to 9-0 with a 12-2 drubbing of McKean.

Sanford drops to 0-10 after losing 18-3 to Glasgow.

Seaford drops to 0-9 after what appears to be a very competitive 12-11 loss to Sussex Tech. I see a win on their horizon.
Who is left on Red Lions schedule?

RL might want to cherish their wins during the regular season proudly. Come playoffs I almost will feel bad for them. I feel really bad that a team in the Henlopen North will be left out because their schedule was "too good". I don't blame RL for their schedule it just sucks better teams get left out because of their scheduling.

Christiana forfeited yesterday to fall to 0-9.
Sanford lost to Tower Hill yesterday 16-2 to drop to 0-11.

SCF, I'm guessing that RL could finish 15-2. They have only 17 games scheduled and I think they could lose 2 of 3 to Friends, DAPSS, or Tatnall. That would be around 47 points. I don't think that gets them in the playoffs, even with 20 teams making the playoffs this year.

SCF, I'm guessing that RL could finish 15-2. They have only 17 games scheduled and I think they could lose 2 of 3 to Friends, DAPSS, or Tatnall. That would be around 47 points. I don't think that gets them in the playoffs, even with 20 teams making the playoffs this year.

Its based on an index averaging your points vs games scheduled.. if they have 47 points that would be divided by 17 giving them an index of 2.77 another team with say 50 points and 20 games scheduled would have an index of 2.5.. RL would be in over that team in this scenerio

i think Red Lion gets in with 15 wins. They already beat DAPSS once pretty handily, so I really just see Tatnall and Friends as a threat. And Tatnall has Tower Hill the game before it plays RLC, and Friends is in the middle of a 3 game in 5 days stretch that includes Newark and Middletown. I really think they might get to 16 wins or maybe even run the table if those two teams don't go after them with some of their top arms.

It gets indexed like RR said, but the baseball schedule is only 18 max.

47 points on 17 wins will most likely get in. They would be higher than any 18 game schedule team with 49 points.

It will cost another school who is better a chance at the tournament, but I wouldn't say that RLC gets waxed in round one. With the doubleheader, if they get the right team looking ahead, it could be a game.

i think Red Lion gets in with 15 wins. They already beat DAPSS once pretty handily, so I really just see Tatnall and Friends as a threat. And Tatnall has Tower Hill the game before it plays RLC, and Friends is in the middle of a 3 game in 5 days stretch that includes Newark and Middletown. I really think they might get to 16 wins or maybe even run the table if those two teams don't go after them with some of their top arms.

It gets indexed like RR said, but the baseball schedule is only 18 max.

47 points on 17 wins will most likely get in. They would be higher than any 18 game schedule team with 49 points.

It will cost another school who is better a chance at the tournament, but I wouldn't say that RLC gets waxed in round one. With the doubleheader, if they get the right team looking ahead, it could be a game.

I agree with FF in regards to RLCA having a chance to win a game in the playoffs depending on matchups. RLCA has decent pitching and can hit the ball. Yes they aren't playing top notch pitchers and yes their pitchers haven't seen top notch hitting, but they are taking care of business...not just squeaking by.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying they are a really good team. Heck i just don't know.

Here is their schedule broken down a little:

Howard (record 2-6) win 18-8. needed a late 11 run inning to win? Hmmm?
Bwine (record 1-7) win 9-2. dominated them like everyone else has
Sanford (record 0-11) win16-1 dominated them just like everyone
DEPPS (record 3-5) win 12-1 dominated them like most have
Tome 5-4 (don't know anything about them, i think they are a weak team?
McKean (record 3-6) 12-2 dominated them like everyone else has

So here is where it gets a little interesting

St Andrew (record 3-7) won 10-1 RLCA dominated them!!! But Lake is a pretty good team and only beat St Andrews 3-0. Tatnall and Friends struggled to beat St Andrews and St E only beat St Andrews10-4 (but was tied going into the 6th). What am i saying....maybe RLCA is in the ballpark of Lake and St E? Better if you compare their performance against St Andrews.

Tower (record 4-6) 4-2. This was a good game, RL led the whole game. Tower Hill is no powerhouse but DMA and Milford both struggled with Tower as well and had similar close victories. So what am i saying...maybe RLCA is on the lines of Milford or DMA?

Delcastle (record 5-4) score 5-1. RLCA 3 hit Delcastle and shut them down. Again, Delcastle is not a powerhouse. But they are improved from years past. AND...Delcastle played top ten ranked Mtown very tight, losing 8-6. So what am i saying? (no i'm not saying RLCA is as good as Mtown). What i am saying here is simply that RLCA shut down a half way decent Delcastle team.

All that being said, i'm not saying that RLCA is a very good team. You can't compare how two teams played against the same team because their are way too many additional factors... But I THINK, they are an average team and i'm very curious to see them play a good team. I have them ranked around 21st in the state. IF, RLCA beats their only real competition (DEPSS,Friends & Tatnall), they will certainly be undefeated and deserve to be in the playoffs. If they win 2 of those games, i think they did enough in my opinion to be in. If they lose to two or three of those teams, i don't think they deserve to be in.

Of course this is my opinion and it will come down to points anyway.

Breaking it down like that allows people to get a better look at them all around. I don't know if they are on Lake's level yet. Not sure about St.E I'm a downstate guy don't know to much about St.E. My opinion about RL is kinda similar to a CR team.. I don't mean talent wise. I mean mentally wise they play tough against teams. Maybe during playoffs they surprise a team by just playing harder then them. Or someone over looking then. I'm just going off their schedule. If they played like like Henlopen North or even Henlopen South teams probably would guess they wouldn't be undefeated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT