ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday quarterfinals 3/2/19

BYW they announced that the Sanford - Sals was also a sellout.

Wonder if there were any issues at St George's? I didn't hear anything...
There was a line outside St. Georges and no room inside. I'm not going to criticize the DIAA without knowing the facts. They can't just call a school and say "give us your gym on Saturday."

The Glasgow-Caravel game appeared to have some space available. No lines there. Which is too bad, because that was an exciting game -- except for Caravel's free throw shooting with the exception of Keister.

12 yr old me was there and I remember that final shot. What a play!!!! They had to take it the length of the court in 3 secs. Nate Evans took the ball out and threw it to mid court where 6'6" Ron Johnson jumps high and catches the ball. Then the over the head pass to an open Floyd Evans in the corner. SPLASH! They used to let us kids right next to the court on the side where there were no bleachers. So, I had a great view of the play. Never forgot it, and always think of it when they need to go the length with just seconds left. Great win, with a great coach. Wilmington High!!!

In the over 50 years of DE HS Bball tournaments, only the Alex Karlsen shot against Wm Penn tops that as the season closer. Hey Pat, I am at least a decade older than you...

I have been all over the map with the Sanford model. I used to think it was not a good thing for DE HS Bball. I have changed my perspective on that.

First off, I have know Stan for like 30 years. He is a great person and a very good coach. He obviously has the competitive model embedded. His kids are classy.

I now support the model. I think the Big S should play them twice a year. Back in the day they played Howard and PS home and away. What the hell. (and they only played 16 games back then.)

(Don't tell Stan this but this year I will be rooting for Dover this year. Dover is long overdue and should have won the title in 1972. Dover was up by one point with less than like 8 seconds left in the game, Dover's Ty Schultz got called for walking on a layup. The basket would have put Dover up by 3 but instead WHS gets the ball back and makes a shot from the corner at the buzzer. The Red Devils win by 1 point!!! Why did Lou Moser make that call? Why did Schultz try to score? Why hasn't Dover ever won the title?)
Dover led that whole game until several of their guys fouled out. Most people who were there (including me) thought that the winning shot came after the buzzer, but there was no way the refs would have made it out of the dieldhouse if they had called or no good!

Dover led that whole game until several of their guys fouled out. Most people who were there (including me) thought that the winning shot came after the buzzer, but there was no way the refs would have made it out of the dieldhouse if they had called or no good!

Was there but after all these years you forget some things. Did I have the right ref and player involved in the call?

Not 100% agreement on that, BinB. I really think downstate still has that hometown flavor. I realize there is still choice and that the vo-techs are county wide. There still is some of that Town vs Town thing.

A few years ago there was talk of consolidating Delmar, Laurel, Seaford and Woodbridbge. It got shot down very quickly.

You are right the neighborhood feel has been lost in New Castle County...

Does the Mayor of Dover go to the Dover games?...

Was there but after all these years you forget some things. Did I have the right ref and player involved in the call?
Don’t remember the ref, but Floyd “Float” Evans hit the shot. Dover had two 6’4” guys Gary Starkey and Renie Martin (yes the baseball pitcher). Both fouled out early in the 4th quarter and WHS came back. You are correct about the way it happened, but it is hard to believe they could have done that in less than 3 seconds. Wild finish. As soon as it went in the court was mobbed with fans carrying Evans around. The refs bolted straight to the locker room, while the Dover fans fumed.

Don’t remember the ref, but Floyd “Float” Evans hit the shot. Dover had two 6’4” guys Gary Starkey and Renie Martin (yes the baseball pitcher). Both fouled out early in the 4th quarter and WHS came back. You are correct about the way it happened, but it is hard to believe they could have done that in less than 3 seconds. Wild finish. As soon as it went in the court was mobbed with fans carrying Evans around. The refs bolted straight to the locker room, while the Dover fans fumed.
The thing I remember is no dribbles. The clock doesn't start til Johnson gets the ball at half court- then the pass to Floyd and swish. I also remember seeing one go the other way for Wilm. High might have been that year. It was at Conrad with Wilm up by 1 with 1 sec left and Conrad has ball underneath their basket. They inbound to Bobby Ryan in the corner. swish! Conrad 61-60 I exited quickly like those refs.

Pat...and AP, Thanks for sharing your recollections. That game (1972 WHS/Dover) along with the Karlsen shot (1995 SM/Wm Penn) and the (2011 Sanford/Red Lion final) are championship games that have been decided at the final buzzer. I missed the Sanford/Red Lion final.

APboy, we should have a conversation about that 1972 final. I wonder if there is any video.

Last edited:
Pat, what WHS team was Marshall Washington on...1972 or 1974..?
I wanna say 74 he was a couple yrs ahead me, and I don't think he was on that
72 team. He was on the 74 Championship team I believe. A lefty who could shoot the hell out that ball.

Pat...and AP, Thanks for sharing your recollections. That game (1972 WHS/Dover) along with the Karlsen shot (1995 SM/Wm Penn) and the (2011 Sanford/Red Lion final) are championship games that have been decided at the final buzzer. I missed the Sanford/Red Lion final.

APboy, we should have a conversation about that 1972 final. I wonder if there is any video.
Yup, I was thinking the Deon Jones shot was pretty big too

All these memories y'all are sharing are fun to read. For those of us in my age range who mostly know "The Bob," the early history of the tournament sure seemed like fun.

All these memories y'all are sharing are fun to read. For those of us in my age range who mostly know "The Bob," the early history of the tournament sure seemed like fun.
Thanks- for the players today it all about "going to the Bob" our generation's goal was to "make it to the Big House" I also witnessed the greatest consolation game is tournament history there. St Mark's vs Sallies 1973- 45-44 Spartans win. I think the consolation game was done away with soon after.

Reactions: Chesdel
My first tournament was '93 and of course, Brandon Baffone breaking Sanford's hearts in the first ever semi at the Bob. Since then, I've either attended or covered most of the state tournaments except for the 4 years I spent in rural Maryland. And even from afar I still paid attention. I love our state tourney as is.

Pat, I thought we were on a friendship track. Why needlessly bring up a Sals loss? Before I forget, in the first state tourney in 1967, the Sals lost a consolation game to Milford.

Reactions: Patcomic
Pat, I thought we were on a friendship track. Why needlessly bring up a Sals loss? Before I forget, in the first state tourney in 1967, the Sals lost a consolation game to Milford.
Oh ,we are definitely on a friendship track. It was just another fieldhouse memory. Plus, I am St Mark's 76 so it is one of my favorites. Consolation games were done away with because they were meaningless. That consolation game had meaning. The brand new start-up St Mark's vs Big Boys Sallies. And future Gov John Carney and his guys ruled the day.

Oh ,we are definitely on a friendship track. It was just another fieldhouse memory. Plus, I am St Mark's 76 so it is one of my favorites. Consolation games were done away with because they were meaningless. That consolation game had meaning. The brand new start-up St Mark's vs Big Boys Sallies. And future Gov John Carney and his guys ruled the day.
Joy in Mudville that day!

Never seen or heard of any video.

Ches I was a sophomore on the Seaford team in ‘67, the first year of the tourney. We played Sallies at Dickinson in the first round. We blew a 12 point lead in the second half and lost 62-61. I didn’t play in that game - I was a JV player who made the trip. Sals had Nagle and Nepa. Our best guys were Earl Dickerson and Bill Johns.

@gate, the career center was packed back in the day. Fans loved basketball, great atmosphere. They were tough to beat at home in the early to mid eighties.

Ches I was a sophomore on the Seaford team in ‘67, the first year of the tourney. We played Sallies at Dickinson in the first round. We blew a 12 point lead in the second half and lost 62-61. I didn’t play in that game - I was a JV player who made the trip. Sals had Nagle and Nepa. Our best guys were Earl Dickerson and Bill Johns.

I was at that game. I was a senior non-athlete (scholar) at the Big S. The Big S started Gordon Slivinski, Steve Nepa, Tom Nagle, Bill Knowles and Pat Igo..coached by the late great Vinnie Scott.

Who was the Seaford player with the stellar Afro?

I was at that game. I was a senior non-athlete (scholar) at the Big S. The Big S started Gordon Slivinski, Steve Nepa, Tom Nagle, Bill Knowles and Pat Igo..coached by the late great Vinnie Scott.

Great memories Chesdel! Vinnie Scott was a coach at Conrad when I was 12. They ran a recreation for kids on Sat from 9-12. Vinnie Scott, Jim Hagan and Lou Bender were the first HS coaches I ever knew.

Great memories Chesdel! Vinnie Scott was a coach at Conrad when I was 12. They ran a recreation for kids on Sat from 9-12. Vinnie Scott, Jim Hagan and Lou Bender were the first HS coaches I ever knew.
And they didn't charge any money....

Don’t remember any Afros. We had a marine drill instructor as a principal. Nothing like that was allowed! I have a picture from the game but I don’t know how to insert it on here. Can anyone help me with that?

And they didn't charge any money....
That's right, it was some County Rec thing. There were tons of us too. All different activities. Knee football on the wrestling pads, gymnastics, races and sometimes a little hoops.

Pat, the 3 guys you named are all in heaven.
All were associated with Salesianum.

Vinnie Scott was my childhood idol and later I was his social studies student at the Big S. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him.

I can remember Jimmy Hagan originally working for Jackson Street Boys Club. I was at Brown Boys club from like 1st grade to 5th grade. Later, Coach Hagan would coach the Big S and move over to Conrad and Vinnie took his place.

Coach Bender took over after Vinnie left for Conrad. He stayed a couple of years and then moved on to Delcastle. Lou coached a lot of places and had a lot of wins. (Lou's father coached Bball at P.S. du Pont way back in the day).

Apologies for hijacking this thread with Memory Lane.

Reactions: ReturnOfTheGate
We should probably make a memory lane thread/post with all of our boys hoops memories. Apparently we've got some great stories.

Reactions: 84rider
Pat, the 3 guys you named are all in heaven.
All were associated with Salesianum.

Vinnie Scott was my childhood idol and later I was his social studies student at the Big S. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him.

I can remember Jimmy Hagan originally working for Jackson Street Boys Club. I was at Brown Boys club from like 1st grade to 5th grade. Later, Coach Hagan would coach the Big S and move over to Conrad and Vinnie took his place.

Coach Bender took over after Vinnie left for Conrad. He stayed a couple of years and then moved on to Delcastle. Lou coached a lot of places and had a lot of wins. (Lou's father coached Bball at P.S. du Pont way back in the day).

Apologies for hijacking this thread with Memory Lane.
They were the men I remember along with Jim Pletcher. I lived 3 blocks from Conrad and they were a big influence. Now let's go have a great playoff!

Just saw Angie Rossi in Florida. Told him that Sanford took it to his former squad. He was none too pleased.

Reactions: Chesdel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT