ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmages this week

I don't really see the big deal. I don't like it but all the big schools up north have been doing this for years. I mean how do you think Red Lions little run was built lol. Who knows if it was legal or not but teams like Middletown, Hodgson, Caravel, Sallies, St. Marks, etc. have probably done things just as shady if not worse. It's not right but it's been happening for years now and it's not going to be ending anytime soon.
I'm sure it happens across the state, no doubt! Its just to bad that it comes down to recruiting kids in their senior year, programs that at the top benefit for a year or two. How about long term, grow the program! How about the kids that went through 4 years of sacrifice and are loyal to their school, their time to get their shot in senior year only to take the back seat to the transfer player who has no history in the program and is just committed for 4-6 months. I done with this topic we are beating a dead horse!! It happens, its going to continue to happen, so good luck to all players this year!

Seems extremely Coincidental WP gets RB and LB tranfers, after losing 2 all staters in those positions. Wonder how many kids transferred into WP school district other than football players? Good question for DIAA.
I'm sure it happens across the state, no doubt! Its just to bad that it comes down to recruiting kids in their senior year, programs that at the top benefit for a year or two. How about long term, grow the program! How about the kids that went through 4 years of sacrifice and are loyal to their school, their time to get their shot in senior year only to take the back seat to the transfer player who has no history in the program and is just committed for 4-6 months. I done with this topic we are beating a dead horse!! It happens, its going to continue to happen, so good luck to all players this year!
Dooley did build a program Penn Started all 10 graders 3 seasons ago the were 7-3 made Tournament and won it last year don't worry your Cavs will have a good year

Kids were Appo graduates / but I have connections to MT, several friend's sons!! I'm believe they will too!!

I heard last year that Nelson wasn't happy at Conrad and wanted to leave. From what I gathered from the Conrad people last season was: it was no secret that he was leaving and wouldn't be returning for his senior year.

Dooley did build a program Penn Started all 10 graders 3 seasons ago the were 7-3 made Tournament and won it last year don't worry your Cavs will have a good year

you are correct...one of the fastest turn arounds in recent history!

...also noticed that's when you jumped on that bandwagon ...just say'n

Seems extremely Coincidental WP gets RB and LB tranfers, after losing 2 all staters in those positions. Wonder how many kids transferred into WP school district other than football players? Good question for DIAA.
Kids were Appo graduates / but I have connections to MT, several friend's sons!! I'm believe they will too!!
you are correct...one of the fastest turn arounds in recent history!

...also noticed that's when you jumped on that bandwagon ...just say'n
Not on bandwagon I just like good coaching his staff does and reading all the post people like you put on here hating everybody

Not on bandwagon I just like good coaching his staff does and reading all the post people like you put on here hating everybody

say what you want-but you joined Oct 2013...same time WP started winning....truth stings huh?
...and I do not hate WP-just don't like em' But they deserve credit for what they have accomplished.

I also enjoy good coaching and they have done a nice job and nobody can debate that

say what you want-but you joined Oct 2013...same time WP started winning....truth stings huh?
...and I do not hate WP-just don't like em' But they deserve credit for what they have accomplished.

I also enjoy good coaching and they have done a nice job and nobody can debate that
I joined way before that I just changed names I messed my account up we've been on this topic to long let's enjoy the season.Good Luck to all teams

I don't really see the big deal. I don't like it but all the big schools up north have been doing this for years. I mean how do you think Red Lions little run was built lol. Who knows if it was legal or not but teams like Middletown, Hodgson, Caravel, Sallies, St. Marks, etc. have probably done things just as shady if not worse. It's not right but it's been happening for years now and it's not going to be ending anytime soon.

I rarely post on here anymore and take no position on all the transfers into successful public school football programs. Reality check on Sallies.....I have followed the program closely for 40 years and during that period 2 kids who were decent players transferred in. One was a 185 lineman from the old Claymont High in the mid 80's. Around 2006 a kid from Tower Hill transferred in, presumably because the tuition was less at Sallies.

I could name at least a dozen players who transferred from Sallies to public schools. There were many more than that. At least 3 went on to be All State at Newark. One was lineman of the year his senior year at Newark

I rarely post on here anymore and take no position on all the transfers into successful public school football programs. Reality check on Sallies.....I have followed the program closely for 40 years and during that period 2 kids who were decent players transferred in. One was a 185 lineman from the old Claymont High in the mid 80's. Around 2006 a kid from Tower Hill transferred in, presumably because the tuition was less at Sallies.

I could name at least a dozen players who transferred from Sallies to public schools. There were many more than that. At least 3 went on to be All State at Newark. One was lineman of the year his senior year at Newark

Another famous Sallies transfer out was Cody Hall in the early nineties. Hall was good player who somehow did not fit into Brazil's system (no suprise given the number of exits during his time there). Hall later surfaced at Berwick PA and went on to quarterback them to a AAA state Title.

joe farren --claymont kid

That's right. He was a good player but at 185 pounds he was a bit small for a d-lineman even back then. Him transferring in caused a bit of a stir.

Ravensrooster likes to point out Sallies lack of team speed. That is a valid observation and begs the the question if Sallies were recruiting how come they don't have a bunch of team speed? How come the school rarely graduates someone who ends up at a big time college program?

The top teams in the Philadelphia Catholic League like Archbishop Wood always have top public school players transfer in. That is a legitimate gripe for public school teams who lose their star players. It just not happen in Delaware --- at least not at Sallies.

I can understand the concerns about all the public school to public transers occurring in Delaware but I have no comment beyond that.

I can concur with BT on this one... The privates in DE rarely have or even accept transfers maybe a Sophomore here or there..Like I said earlier there are many kids trying to transfer into CA each year for very limited spots and most don't get accepted.. as opposed to to whats going on in other states... as far as I am concerned middle schoolers are fair game, particularity in a state with school choice... poaching kids in HS like whats going on in Jersey is ridiculous but I don't think that is going on in DE.. Sure kids will transfer to winning programs or what they perceive is a better situation for them but its the kids and parents doing it.. I don't believe its coaches trying to poach at all...

As it pertains to CA or Coach Reed... I can only speak on my experience.. When we decided to consider transferring to CA I called Coach Reed.. Not to get my son anything but to see what kind Coach he was.. He would only talk to me in very general terms about the philosophy of the school and that he runs a clean program and directed me to the admissions office... Actually that helped make my decision particularity after what we went though at Red Lion

. Now that is not to say once we applied and tested in he and his staff weren't very excited and inviting to me and my Son.. They watched his film and was very happy to get him and made it known to us but that was "after" he was accepted to the school.. On another note when my Son tested there were about 8 or 9 other Red Lion or ECA players trying to get in... most of them did not get in.. Badson applied later and got in. Badson also graduated National Honor Society.. . I didnt even know he applied it until my Son came home from school said he saw him at school.. He sat his 1 year though...

Last edited:
Hey Mobhits dont know why your hating on WP just so you know since you think you know it all I personally know of 4 transfers from other schools this year of kids to WP and they dont even play football so just saying. Dooley is doing a great job there and has the staff to do it . I guess it's true when you win see how many friends you have . By the way my top 3 teams this year are WP, MT , and Sallies .

Never made claim of knowing it all, Just pointed out what looked obvious or suspicious to me , I stand corrected, didn't have all the facts on Titus transfer.I really don't care! No skin in the game. I came from Pa.years ago , it was common place there, Malvern prep raided Norristown HS for years paying players ways. Dooley is a very good coach , has his guys ready to repeat!

Never made claim of knowing it all, Just pointed out what looked obvious or suspicious to me , I stand corrected, didn't have all the facts on Titus transfer.I really don't care! No skin in the game. I came from Pa.years ago , it was common place there, Malvern prep raided Norristown HS for years paying players ways. Dooley is a very good coach , has his guys ready to repeat!

Look's like the Slowskys will be in for a long year. I think that Middletown and Penn are head and shoulders above the clones. The Slowskys should never have gotten into the tourney last year. Middletown rested a lot of players that last game and the Slowskys snuck into the tournament only to be embarrassed by the highly athletic Sussex Tech team which then got thrashed by Middletown.

Look at the hype below. Slim pickins for the traditional Slowsky fans. I am working on my city rankings now. I think Charter jumps up this year.
11781717_1458713734457191_4619291703370374502_n.jpg

Pretty neat graphic for what might be a special year. Sals return a lot of key players Cannon, Reeder, Cathers, Whittelsey, etc and the nucleus of an undefeated freshman team.

I'm not there but I understand that MT is taking STM out to the woodshed in their scrimmage.
Watched MT/STM last night , MT looks like they are firing on all cylinders,very good speed both sides of the ball, O scored on 5 of 6 positions, several weapons this year a much more balanced team than last year, D looks good didn't give up a score, actually scored on 93 yd INT for TD. Injuries may be their only obstacle to the ship!! Need to stay healthy not a lot of depth!

Smyrna 42 WP 0

WP Missing players or not...

That's impressive on Smyrna's part...

That is far more concerning then who looked better in the scrimmage...
Smyrna is a program on the rise. Mike Judy is a young head coach that has a bright, bright future. He is a Delaware guy playing high school and college ball in Delaware. Very smart and brings a "tough guy attitude" to the program. He holds kids accountable in the classroom, weight room and in the off season. He is doing it the right way. It is not by accident this is happening at Smyrna. Smyrna will be a force to deal with this year and for years to come. He is building a program and will have them strong for years to come. No surprise to hear the score of the scrimmage. The days of teams thinking Smyrna is an easy win or scheduling for homecoming will end very soon.

DIAA wouldn't let my son leave a charter school to go to private ( and not sallies) and play football for his senior year. Things don't add up
Nelson doesnt live with dad/stepmom, . He's also a junior again as he was last year at conrad . The kid is good but has the same issue that has plagued many good wm penn players....grades.

not what I heard... But if you got a dog in the fight.... so be it..

Like I said.. Smyrna will be a good program for many years to come. It is what it is... Looks like next years scrimmage will be very big.

not what I heard... But if you got a dog in the fight.... so be it..

Like I said.. Smyrna will be a good program for many years to come. It is what it is... Looks like next years scrimmage will be very big.
They are tough but I was there if Penns whole team plays they win by 30 easily

DIAA wouldn't let my son leave a charter school to go to private ( and not sallies) and play football for his senior year. Things don't add up
Nelson doesnt live with dad/stepmom, . He's also a junior again as he was last year at conrad . The kid is good but has the same issue that has plagued many good wm penn players....grades.

FF74... DIAA is public school entity... As I have said before just about any kid can transfer back to public school and play if they are academically eligible... Transferring to a private always comes under scrutiny..Its just the nature of DIAA being a DOE entity..

Dude Sallies has an entire football league - CYM - going there. They don't need to transfer in, and the reason they are transferring out is because of the 160 kids sallies already has so they go else where to get on the field.

And to act like they don't recuit for football, lacrosse, etc you are kidding yourself. They, meaning the private schools and most big public schools, all do. I know several lacrosse players that play big time club and all of them have already been in contact with Sallies, Tower Hill, etc. It happens get over it. And yes the public schools do it to.

FF74... DIAA is public school entity... As I have said before just about any kid can transfer back to public school and play if they are academically eligible... Transferring to a private always comes under scrutiny..Its just the nature of DIAA being a DOE entity..

Yep - you can always claim you don't want to pay the $ and go back to public. Switching to private last minute will get questioned.

One other comment is that the environment changes and that leads to the the dynamics you see in HS football:

1) Choice. This has been huge for 20 years with kids transferring to winners. Been going on for 20+ years. Butter Pressey anyone? You don't think all of Middletown's players all should go there? A bunch of Appo Jaguars in that team. Pretty well known down here that if your good at football choice to Middletown and every other sport choice to Appo. The results at both show its working. Penn is getting it now and look at Smyrna wrestling.

2) Winners follow the population. People are moving south and the teams get better as it happens. Used to be Newark, Christiana, etc. now it's WM Penn, Muddletown and Smyrna. Cape, Sussex Tech, Central, etc are next as beach becomes more year round. It's simple math - more people = bigger player pool = winners. Usually takes 15 years or so.

Throw in the rise of Votechs, end of busing etc and you can see the influences that drive a lot of what you see on the field.

Obviously Dooley, Dinardo, etc are great coaches but don't kid yourself if you think it is all "coaching" your wrong.

Dude Sallies has an entire football league - CYM - going there. They don't need to transfer in, and the reason they are transferring out is because of the 160 kids sallies already has so they go else where to get on the field.

And to act like they don't recuit for football, lacrosse, etc you are kidding yourself. They, meaning the private schools and most big public schools, all do. I know several lacrosse players that play big time club and all of them have already been in contact with Sallies, Tower Hill, etc. It happens get over it. And yes the public schools do it to.

I'd be curious to know how many were recruited to pay the $14,000 annual tuition. A few years back I pitched the Sals President to offer "scholarships al la St. Joe's Prep/LaSalle in an effort to gun the athletic program. Many male alumni (14,000 living) who follow winning sports might contribute to the school , right? I got nowhere . Sallies does well in sports because of a long history. Some of those kids playing today are following their fathers. grandfathers and further back than that. Just deal with it. And BTW, the last time I looked the CYO league was down to a handful of schools probably no bigger than the MOT Youth Leagues that feed Middletown.

I'd be curious to know how many were recruited to pay the $14,000 annual tuition. A few years back I pitched the Sals President to offer "scholarships al la St. Joe's Prep/LaSalle in an effort to gun the athletic program. Many male alumni (14,000 living) who follow winning sports might contribute to the school , right? I got nowhere . Sallies does well in sports because of a long history. Some of those kids playing today are following their fathers. grandfathers and further back than that. Just deal with it. And BTW, the last time I looked the CYO league was down to a handful of schools probably no bigger than the MOT Youth Leagues that feed Middletown.
I know several people who went to Sallies and didn't pay a dime they couldn't afford it and couple of them just happen to be some of the best to come out of CYO and I'm sure are some know but you still have to play the game.Food Luck To All Programs

All private schools offer some sort of financial aide.. And in almost every case the need is determined by an outside source like SSA or whomever.. Sallies on their website says they give out approximately 800k plus per year in financial aide... as long as the need is legit and the school has the funding .. Thats great and great for the families ..

Hell if St Andrews wanted to they could become a football power in no time.. They board and can bring kids from anywhere.. Their tuition is over 40 k and their average financial aide award is 30k.. Suppose they hired a big time coach and build an nice stadium and started scheduling up...

Not sure what St Marks has in aide but I would guess not much with the numbers they are getting..

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT