ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmages this week

I'd be curious to know how many were recruited to pay the $14,000 annual tuition. A few years back I pitched the Sals President to offer "scholarships al la St. Joe's Prep/LaSalle in an effort to gun the athletic program. Many male alumni (14,000 living) who follow winning sports might contribute to the school , right? I got nowhere . Sallies does well in sports because of a long history. Some of those kids playing today are following their fathers. grandfathers and further back than that. Just deal with it. And BTW, the last time I looked the CYO league was down to a handful of schools probably no bigger than the MOT Youth Leagues that feed Middletown.

Dude MOT is a monster and that's another reason MTown is so good. MY son plays CYM its still a great league but a shadow of what it was when I played there in the 80's.

And don't get me wrong a ton of kids go to Sallies for a good education and legacy but my point was that they recruit - that doesn't always mean pay tuition - and so does everybody else. So not picking Sallies out just used them as an example.

And I can 100% confirm this - they are reaching out to me constantly about my son for lacrosse. Not in a creepy or bad way but just proactively keeping communication and selling the program. Any good coach would do it IMO

RR gr
All private schools offer some sort of financial aide.. And in almost every case the need is determined by an outside source like SSA or whomever.. Sallies on their website says they give out approximately 800k plus per year in financial aide... as long as the need is legit and the school has the funding .. Thats great and great for the families ..

Hell if St Andrews wanted to they could become a football power in no time.. They border and can bring kids from anywhere.. Their tuition is over 40 k and their average financial aide award is 30k.. Suppose they hired a big time coach and build an nice stadium and started scheduling up...

Not sure what St Marks has in aide but I would guess not much with the numbers they are getting..

RR great point. A lot of kids do pay full time but all private schools have financial aide and are open about it. A good football player from a lower economic bracket is going to get significant aid.

[QUOTE="

And I can 100% confirm this - they are reaching out to me constantly about my son for lacrosse. Not in a creepy or bad way but just proactively keeping communication and selling the program. Any good coach would do it IMO[/QUOTE]

DNole that is a huge accusation and definitely against the DIAA recruiting rules.. Coaches , Boosters,AD's or even Parents( at the bequest of the coaches) are not to reach out and sell athletics to anyone.. That is pretty clear in the DIAA handbook...

[QUOTE="

And I can 100% confirm this - they are reaching out to me constantly about my son for lacrosse. Not in a creepy or bad way but just proactively keeping communication and selling the program. Any good coach would do it IMO

DNole that is a huge accusation and definitely against the DIAA recruiting rules.. Coaches , Boosters,AD's or even Parents( at the bequest of the coaches) are not to reach out and sell athletics to anyone.. That is pretty clear in the DIAA handbook...[/QUOTE]

They all do it - camps, club lacrosse and they are there for other things, etc. Lacrosse is an interesting sport - tons of schools involved with the clubs allowing them access to kids all the time. There are clubs in Philly like Mesa Fresh which are coached by Haverford HS coaches! I have heard Soccer is the same way but dont have any insight into it. Football seems to be watched closer.

So to be fair it might be better to say they take advantage of contact opportunities when they arise. I am sure its a gray area but trust me they all do it.

RR gr

RR great point. A lot of kids do pay full time but all private schools have financial aide and are open about it. A good football player from a lower economic bracket is going to get significant aid.

Their is nowhere on the aide questionnaire that asks if you play sports nor do the coaches have any say..It all done by an outside source whom requires bank statements and tax returns.. . You cant even apply for aide until accepted into the school.. Aide is offered solely on financial need,, A tuba player from the same economic background as a football player will get awarded the same amount..

I am sure they all do it.. but schools like Haverford are allowed to do it,, Same as MIAA ... Not so for DIAA member schools..

Here is the rule.. what is not clear is if it only pertains to current High School students but the same rule appears in the middle school handbook so I would have to assume not

10.2 Illegal Contact with Students, Student’s parent(s), legal guardians, or a Relative Caregiver

10.2.1 A school employee or Board approved volunteer may not initiate contact or request that a booster club member, alumnus, or player initiate contact with a student enrolled in another school or his/her parent(s), legal guardian(s) or a Relative Caregiver in order to persuade the student to enroll in a particular school for athletic purposes. Illegal contact shall include, but not be limited to, letters, questionnaires or brochures, telephone calls, and home visits or personal contact at athletic contests.

10.2.2 If a coach or athletic director is contacted by a prospective athlete or his/her parent(s), legal guardian(s) or a Relative Caregiver, the former must refer the individual(s) to the principal or headmaster or school personnel responsible for admissions.

Last edited:
Their is nowhere on the aide questionnaire that asks if you play sports nor do the coaches have any say..It all done by an outside source whom requires bank statements and tax returns.. . You cant even apply for aide until accepted into the school.. Aide is offered solely on financial need,, A tuba player from the same economic background as a football player will get awarded the same amount..

Agreed and nothing wrong with that.

I am sure they all do it.. but schools like Haverford are allowed to do it,, Same as MIAA ... Not so for DIAA member schools..

Understood just used Haverford as an example. And true to form I can confirm that the two clubs in DE are NOT run by HS coaches. They all seem to play on one or the other team but in DE the clubs are not run by HS coaches.

Here is the rule.. what is not clear is if it only pertains to current High School students

10.2 Illegal Contact with Students, Student’s parent(s), legal guardians, or a Relative Caregiver

10.2.1 A school employee or Board approved volunteer may not initiate contact or request that a booster club member, alumnus, or player initiate contact with a student enrolled in another school or his/her parent(s), legal guardian(s) or a Relative Caregiver in order to persuade the student to enroll in a particular school for athletic purposes. Illegal contact shall include, but not be limited to, letters, questionnaires or brochures, telephone calls, and home visits or personal contact at athletic contests.

10.2.2 If a coach or athletic director is contacted by a prospective athlete or his/her parent(s), legal guardian(s) or a Relative Caregiver, the former must refer the individual(s) to the principal or headmaster or school personnel responsible for admissions.

Thats an interesting question. Wonder if there is a loop hole there.

Coud be a loophole.. As per the middle school rule.. If you are only a HS then then you wouldn't be contacting a kid enrolled in a different school... If you are school that has a middle school then you would be...

Every kid I see in my town, my friends kids, neighbors, etc, i ask where they want to go to school. I live in PA. Slim pickings in delco. Public schools stink, and parents are finding away to send kids to good schools, and Sallies is actually closer than the archdiocese high schools. So, I always mention Sallies, and they always say we know about it, or we are considering it. I can tell anyone I want to consider it. I can talk up all the sports I want with them, i can do what ever I want to convince them to go there. I graduated in 1987, and will always, talk up. Promote, and brag; about academics, athletics, how tough it is, how hard it is to make teams, how great an education I received, how going there helped me get scholarships for college, how many friends I made, how great the tradition is, among other great things. If they decide to go there, i hope I helped to convince them to make thst choice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT