ADVERTISEMENT

Semifinal Previews

ReturnOfTheGate

All-Conference
Mar 13, 2018
1) St. E (19-3) vs. 5) Caravel (14-8):

The Vikings took care of the Bucs 70-60 on January 29th, but Caravel seems to always find their way to the Final 4 or the title game. To do it again, they have to deal with a diverse St. E offense that can hurt you many different ways. Caravel is similar in having perimeter/slashing threats (Sasha Marvel, Karli Cauley, Miranda Porretta) and post players capable of scoring (Kendra Warren, Ondia Brown). While everyone is looking forward to Sanford/Conrad, this game could be equally as dynamite. Caravel 56, St. E 52.

2) Sanford (18-4) vs. 3) Conrad (17-5):

You want storylines? You got em. Marcus Thompson and John Kulesza were teammates on the earliest successful Sanford boys teams in the early-mid 1980s. Both teams have D1 talent. Can Conrad start their dynasty in earnest with a repeat? Can Sanford finally get over the hump after going the previous 4 seasons without a title? The key is Sanford's post players (Samatha Pollich and Allie Kubek) must neutralize Ny Whittlesey and keep track of one of the Kulesza sisters (odds of stopping both are slim and none). Lauren Park is the best point guard in the state and if she has a POY-type game as she's capable of, that might tip the scales in the Warriors' favor. Sanford 67, Conrad 66.

After watching Sanford play Caravel and Hodgson, I would say Olivia Tucker’s defense on the higher scoring Kulesza will be another key. She held Marvel to 8 points and Braxton Young to 6, way below their season averages. That’s something no other team has been able to do.

I think both games will be exciting to watch!

Reactions: pksundevil
What was the final score of the Caravel v ST E's game?

Caravel spent the evening driving to the hoop, getting easy shots inside and shooting free throws. Unlike their boys team, the Bucs were deadly from the line. They missed just one until the fourth quarter and finished at 82% from the line. St. E's shot under 30% in the first half, and while they stayed close, they just could not make enough stops to get back in the game.

Caravel has 7 seniors, and this is the 3rd straight final for 6 of them (Porretta transferred in this season). They have a tough task ahead of them on Friday, but I believe it will be a great game.

I think it'll be closer than it was February 18th, but Sanford seems to be just a step ahead of everyone. Would be nice to see Caravel and Kristin Caldwell get that title game monkey off their back though.

Reactions: Hoops330
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT