ADVERTISEMENT

Sills headed to CA

....and I wish young Mr.Sills all the best. He is a great talent. I hope he gets an opportunity to play QB in college somewhere. Look at the great QBs that have come out of 1AA and conferences like the MAC.

Reactions: Dropping 3's
One of the points of discussion in previous years, was the fact he didn't look like he had all the tools to step into D-1. Taking a step back, re-focusing on the position he really wants to play could be the best thing for him. The fact that he will be forced to compete is even better. Did he burn a season last year?

One of the points of discussion in previous years, was the fact he didn't look like he had all the tools to step into D-1. Taking a step back, re-focusing on the position he really wants to play could be the best thing for him. The fact that he will be forced to compete is even better. Did he burn a season last year?

Yes he burned his red shirt by playing WR ,, He has 1 yr eligibility at JUCO then 2 more after he transfer back to a 4 year school

From the article:

-------------------As for all the attention and scrutiny he has received and lessons learned, Sills said, "Honestly, it's working hard and focusing on you and not focusing on what other people are saying about you."---------------

Amen, young man.

Reactions: ravensrooster2
He has to land right then, even if he sits out a year. Find the right spot.

Well he has to win the starting job at El Camino and produce huge results...otherwise the fat lady has sung on any thoughts of a NFL career which is what this is all about,,

Last edited:
I don't blame him for leaving WVU. I guess he should have gone to a JC where he was handed the QB job. Then again, he hasn't played QB in a year. I hope he succeeds in JC. Maybe we will end up back here in DE.

I don't blame him for leaving WVU. I guess he should have gone to a JC where he was handed the QB job. Then again, he hasn't played QB in a year. I hope he succeeds in JC. Maybe we will end up back here in DE.

One of the articles out of WV I read interviewed his Dad and it sounds like if it doesn't work out at QB he may end up back at WVU to play WR

http://www.thedpost.com/Sills’-window-with-WVU-closes

Well written article.. not so sure about the writer casting the blame on Kiffen for the situation though.. sure he was nuts to offer a 13 year old but its not like Sills and family couldn't have said were flattered but he is too young for this and gone about the business of being a middle schooler... They went on ESPN and didn't have to so as for the opening line in the article "he didn't ask for this" I say well yes he did by committing and going on the media tour .. just saying they accepted the spotlight and it cuts both ways so ... what is the right way to handle the situation is not for me say but you get my point..

Coaches throwing offers out to middle school kids to throw their hat in the ring in case one pans out is one thing but the kid verbally committing to that offer is another. taking the media tour is another. of course hindsight is 20/20 so maybe the lesson here is to keep your options open and don't throw your eggs in one basket.. allot can change in a few short years and usually does.

Last edited:
the whole college recruiting thing and the media tee shirt and shorts ratings is all a circus. It has all gotten ridiculous.. but everyone is going to the bank exploiting these kids..

Last edited:
Ran across this very good post on the subject in another forum. Pretty thought provoking.. I am not sure any of can truly say what we would do if our kid was put in this situation. Maybe this story can help others make the right decisions for their kid..

"Who's at fault in this situation?

1. Grandfather (David 3) recommends to son to send 12 year old grandson to QB camp in CA
2. David 4 (father) allows his son 13 year old son to "commit" (non-binding) to USC; allows 8th grade son to be swallowed up by media; buys equipment and builds gym and football stadium for Red Lion Academy; creates ECA, a "school" whereby 90% of its student population are ballers.
3. Steve Clarkson continues to take family's money even though the experts (Sarkisian, Holgorson) have explained that the QB position is no longer in the cards for David 5.
4. Lane Kiffin for using D5 from day one for his own personal attention and gain.

In a perfect world:

5 stays on the down low, plays his high school football locally without any fan fair. He plays at a local, regional Hs with a good football program (St. Marks, Salesianum, SJP, etc). Dominates, gets recruited and plays QB at the level fate has determined.

Instead, his enablers (mainly D4 and Clarkson) continue to adversely affect his life robbing 5 of what were supposed to be the best 8-10 years of his life. When all is said and done, kids dreams are crushed when he finally comes to the realization of what the experts told him years prior. Depression takes over, then he spirals out of control in a variety of ways. Distraught family doesn't understand how this happened. The End."

Last edited:
Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
Ran across this very good post on the subject in another forum. Pretty thought provoking.. I am not sure any of can truly say what we would do if our kid was put in this situation. Maybe this story can help others make the right decisions for their kid..

"Who's at fault in this situation?

1. Grandfather (David 3) recommends to son to send 12 year old grandson to QB camp in CA
2. David 4 (father) allows his son 13 year old son to "commit" (non-binding) to USC; allows 8th grade son to be swallowed up by media; buys equipment and builds gym and football stadium for Red Lion Academy; creates ECA, a "school" whereby 90% of its student population are ballers.
3. Steve Clarkson continues to take family's money even though the experts (Sarkisian, Holgorson) have explained that the QB position is no longer in the cards for David 5.
4. Lane Kiffin for using D5 from day one for his own personal attention and gain.

In a perfect world:

5 stays on the down low, plays his high school football locally without any fan fair. He plays at a local, regional Hs with a good football program (St. Marks, Salesianum, SJP, etc). Dominates, gets recruited and plays QB at the level fate has determined.

Instead, his enablers (mainly D4 and Clarkson) continue to adversely affect his life robbing 5 of what were supposed to be the best 8-10 years of his life. When all is said and done, kids dreams are crushed when he finally comes to the realization of what the experts told him years prior. Depression takes over, then he spirals out of control in a variety of ways. Distraught family doesn't understand how this happened. The End."

Raven, Nice Piece of Analysiis.......

Raven, Nice Piece of Analysiis.......

I didn't write it.. someone else did from another forum.. I also just said it was thought provoking but I don't necessarily agree with all of it particularity the last part.. I have no idea how the young man will handle it when football is over I assume like everything else he has handled during this saga with humility and grace but who knows..

ok I think IC your point.. research I have done seems like Clarkson is a snake oil salesman... how does a guy who played QB at Santa Clara U and become a Steakhouse chain district manager become a QB guru?

"Clarkson was featured in a CBS "60 Minutes" segment by Morley Safer. The segment aired on a December 22, 2013 episode. During the segment, Safer featured the potential moral implications of creating a business such as Clarkson's "Dreammaker" quarterback camps. Those implications included the question of whether children as young as seven should be intensively training to become college quarterbacks and whether the parents of young children should be investing large sums of money in Clarkson's tutelage. In the segment, Clarkson admitted he did not want his own 10-year-old son to play football. While many of Clarkson's successful former students were featured, none of Clarkson's unsuccessful students were interviewed or even mentioned.

Mike Forcier, the father of a former student Tate Forcier, alleged that Clarkson "was more into promoting than coaching... It's like a big cattle call. That's what it is. It's all about promoting his guys and himself.

Clarkson at one point had fifty kids in private group training that cost $7,400 a year, although add-ons often took the tabs into five figures. He also works with more than 200 other players through camps and semi-private clinics. Clarkson will do a full 12-hour session over two days for an out-of-state QB that costs $3,000 plus expenses.

Clarkson is also self-styled as a recruiting middle man. Forbes Magazine quoted Clarkson as saying “Kids are on the cusp of getting scholarships before high school and it is all because of the Sills story, I guess I’m the person who started this whole madness."

So this begs the question If Sills has been paying this guy since his kid was 10 and his kid couldn't crack more than 4th on the depth chart at WVU and has to transfer to a JUCO to have a chance to play QB.. WTF are you still paying this guy? Clarkson's rep is based on cherry picking.. The dude sent some young guy from Hawaii named Frog to DE to work with D5 and thats when the "hitch" started.. Too many cooks in the kitchen is the story.. sometimes you just have to let the kids play and do whats natural... You can't buy tallent.. You cant train speed or arm strength.. Kids are just born with it or not.. Sure mechanics can help accuracy but its not gonna turn a 85mph fastball into a 90 and its not gonna turn a sprinter from 4.5 to 4.3 .. a couple of tenths maybe

Last edited:
This is without a doubt, the slowest train wreck I have ever seen. I said it from the very start and will say it again, I honestly hope this kid turns out ok.

Reactions: spartakos
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT