ADVERTISEMENT

Smyrna vs cape tonight

Was anyone taping the game? DIAA is pretty clear that fighting will get players ejected and suspended. BUT, NO FAN SHOULD EVER TOUCH A PLAYER. If the Howard students were out of bounds, Cape had the right to ask the referee and/or security to move the group.
we got it taped...but Rickards might be done... No excuses. ..

we got it taped...but Rickards might be done... No excuses. ..
I was saying that somebody has to have footage of it. Rickards was already out of his game, pissed & hadn’t played in the 4th qtr so I’m sure it didny take much more for him to snap. I hate to see any team (let alone the #1 seed) not at full strength for the playoffs no matter what the reason was.

Also, I will say this for those fans of Cape’s Coach Re...he saw Garnett being held back by like 4/5 people tackling him literally holding him on the ground to keep him away from that brawl so he wouldn’t be in danger of being done for the Conference Championship game &/or playoffs then as the kid is going to the locker room he goes up to him to say something to him knowing he was already on the verge of exploding. I don’t know what his intentions were but I felt like he may have been trying to provoke him after everything was over & that is not the kid that you want to do that w/. Other people & coaches were yelling to Coach Re “Leave him the f*** alone!!!”. Wildest night of high school basketball that I have ever witnessed...smh

Last edited:
Reactions: 84rider
Disappointed in Rickards. . Should of just took the ass whooping... Now you career might be done at Cape.. ..feel real bad for the young fella... Sad...

If AI was kicked out of playoffs the ruling should be the same for cape.

Wait until the facts come out. If the player was on the bench and was pushed by someone from the crowd, I’m not sure why you would assume the team would be kicked out of the playoffs.

Disappointed in Rickards. . Should of just took the ass whooping... Now you career might be done at Cape.. ..feel real bad for the young fella... Sad...
I do as well. It seemed like he had done a good job not being suspended or anything like that compared to what I had seen from him last year.

Had to be 100 plus people videoing the mess. What a disaster. I have to say before the game even started, I commented to multiple people that the bench situation at that Milford venue was a mess. (For both teams) No reserved area for the teams. When opening shoot around was completed, players literally had to ask fans to move. Not saying it's an excuse, but in a expected high emotion game to not have a safety zone from hostile fans to players is asking for unneeded problems. It seemed like those fans were looking to instigate. If there is a fault of coaches in the thing, if they are aware a fan is sitting on top of one of your players chirping to an excessive extent, it should be demand a stop, get DIAA involved and insist fans are removed. Again not making excuses but being a player does not mean you are fair game to take all types of unlimited close contact verbal abuse. Shame because DIAA is going to have their handful now looking at all that video and Cape is going to get crushed with multiple player playoff suspensions. Horrible way to end a season. In my mind DIAA is not without some responsibility for what appeared to be a less than ideally run venue.

I saw Sean Greene posted a clip of what happened. WTF was the big fella from Howard doing there anyway?! I know people are pissed with Rickards, but it seemed like he was provoked. These kids today, man...

I do as well. It seemed like he had done a good job not being suspended or anything like that compared to what I had seen from him last year.
This whole thing is both stunning and sad.

I saw Sean Greene posted a clip of what happened. WTF was the big fella from Howard doing there anyway?! I know people are pissed with Rickards, but it seemed like he was provoked. These kids today, man...
Just looked at video... Just speachless.. Smh .. Iam diehard Cape Viking until i die... But see that happen to the school i love to death.. Just really painful to watch... Not going comment about this anymore..

Garnett and Tribbett where together at the Cape / CR game Monday night, so they are definitely boys, a lot to digest here....Tribbett was out on the court throwing blows....at some point from the video Rickards has to defend himself, you may not like it but the reality is when being run up on like that you imo have to buck up and throw some back...if the adults, police or whoever are protecting you then obviously you gotta get yours...

note: get yours didn’t mean kick the guy in the face after the police had him face down on the ground. I didn’t see that until I saw the delawareonline video .

Last edited:
Let’s get some facts straight. A LOT of blame lies with the Milford’s administration, the Milford cops and the DIAA. First, before the game started a DIAA rep everyone knows made the whole Cape bench move to the end of the bleachers and sat these kids next to the Cape bench between them and the scorers table. The kids that could not fit there were told to sit right behind the Cape bench. And this included Smyrna kids in Smyrna gear. There’s no reason to jam anyone behind either team at a game like this. And this ain’t the NBA where people pay big $ to sit between the bench and midcourt. Then in the third quarter, the Milford administration had to be called over to remove a kid from behind the Cape bench. The Milford cops only reluctantly came over to deal with that. The kid from Howard who started it up with Randy was still there and moved in closer. And before anyone says that was random, the Howard kid was sitting with Garnett at the Cape/CR game. But, even though the Milford cops knew -KNEW- there was an issue behind the Cape bench, they went back to the other side of the gym. The DIAA was still in the Cape corner along with the Milford administration while the kids and the Howard kid behind the Cape bench were talking s*** to the Cape bench, putting their feet up on the Cape bench during timeouts and not moving at the end of the timeouts, and putting their knees/feet into the Cape players on the bench. But the DIAA did nothing to stop it, Milford Admin did nothing to stop it, and the Milford cops KNOWING there was already an issue behind the bench were happy clear on the other side of the gym. The whole thing was a mess that would not, and should not, have happened if people were doing their jobs. That Howard kid and the others were out to start something, whether with Randy or someone else. It’s an embarrassment on the authorities. The Howard kid was finally arrested.

Wouldn’t even be shocked if this was “staged” to some extent, for lack of a better word. Hate that such a thought even comes to mind, but clearly JG was trying to sprint over and assist his friend from Howard who instigated RR and I’d imagine the entire incident. Pathetic.

Suspensions are inevitable for Cape, but IMO JG should internally be suspended for showing his you know what in what I saw on the film. Doubtful though. Winning today seems far more important to most than building a culture.

Reactions: DDBasketballCoach
Had to be 100 plus people videoing the mess. What a disaster. I have to say before the game even started, I commented to multiple people that the bench situation at that Milford venue was a mess. (For both teams) No reserved area for the teams. When opening shoot around was completed, players literally had to ask fans to move. Not saying it's an excuse, but in a expected high emotion game to not have a safety zone from hostile fans to players is asking for unneeded problems. It seemed like those fans were looking to instigate. If there is a fault of coaches in the thing, if they are aware a fan is sitting on top of one of your players chirping to an excessive extent, it should be demand a stop, get DIAA involved and insist fans are removed. Again not making excuses but being a player does not mean you are fair game to take all types of unlimited close contact verbal abuse. Shame because DIAA is going to have their handful now looking at all that video and Cape is going to get crushed with multiple player playoff suspensions. Horrible way to end a season. In my mind DIAA is not without some responsibility for what appeared to be a less than ideally run venue.
EXACTLY...we sat courtside & even asked the refs where the players going to sit & they told us that the team only had from the coach’s box down. I heard multiple people mention how Milford was too small to have this game & I agreed.

Reactions: Can_you_feel_me
Wouldn’t even be shocked if this was “staged” to some extent, for lack of a better word. Hate that such a thought even comes to mind, but clearly JG was trying to sprint over and assist his friend from Howard who instigated RR and I’d imagine the entire incident. Pathetic.

Suspensions are inevitable for Cape, but IMO JG should internally be suspended for showing his you know what in what I saw on the film. Doubtful though. Winning today seems far more important to most than building a culture.
Suspended for attempting to get to the melee but never getting there?...get real.

Garnett and Tribbett where together at the Cape / CR game Monday night, so they are definitely boys, a lot to digest here....Tribbett was out on the court throwing blows....at some point from the video Rickards has to defend himself, you may not like it but the reality is when being run up on like that you imo have to buck up and throw some back...if the adults, police or whoever are protecting you then obviously you gotta get yours...
Yes Tribbett is a Smyrna kid that moved upstate & him & Garnett are boys so that is why Garnett was trying to get over there. I just saw another video & Tribbett didn’t throw a punch until Rickards swung at him w/ the left hand first but I can’t blame Rickards neither for that because he had already swung on a few people that was w/ Tribbett so when he came out of the bleachers he had to figure that Tribbett was gonna swing on him too & he was being held back too so he has the right to defend himself.

Suspended for attempting to get to the melee but never getting there?...get real.

Correct. He looks like a complete fool rushing an all out brawl between solely Cape players and the instigating fans.

Smyrna had zero involvement except his desire to partake/back up his boy(s).

Reactions: jvm3
Correct. He looks like a complete fool rushing an all out brawl between solely Cape players and the instigating fans.

Smyrna had zero involvement except his desire to partake/back up his boy(s).
Great idea...start suspending these kids for wanting to do something.

Great idea...start suspending these kids for wanting to do something.
Fight? Lol - yes.

He was going over there to break it up?

Regardless, have to know better. Rules are rules. Society struggles to understand that though so pretty par for the course!

Fight? Lol - yes.

He was going over there to break it up?

Regardless, have to know better. Rules are rules. Society struggles to understand that though so pretty par for the course!
Now that you say that in a court of law his defense would be “Yes I was going over to assist in breaking it up” & he would not be charged w/ anything...LoL

I’m watching multiple videos now & just saw one where the cops had the Tribbett kid down on the ground, left him there then Rickards was let go & went over & kicked Tribbett right in the face which is how his mouth got busted. People are sending me these this videos & I don’t even have social media like that so I know DIAA is gonna be all over this stuff...sucks for the kids that could end up suffering who had nothing to do w/ this craziness.

Just got word Randy Rickards career at Cape is over.. Smh.. God bless him.. Smh
That didn’t take long but was kind of obvious. Crazy ending to a crazy year that will no doubt effect the end result of State Champions this year.

It wasn't a DIAA event. Henlopen people screwed this up.

Rickards and Cape getting humiliated by Smyrna. Rickard's provoked by Garnett and fans, Rickards unable to control temper, Rickards throws first punch, Cape bench clears. Garnett tries to enter fight, held back by Coach. People try to finger point and blame refs, DIAA, the gym, police, and Administrators.....I am not hearing it......stick to the facts.

Now that you say that in a court of law his defense would be “Yes I was going over to assist in breaking it up” & he would not be charged w/ anything...LoL
Very true. My point/opinion is just meant to go beyond basketball. There should be bigger moments and memories for such talented kids. It’s sad and disgusting and I always wonder if these types of moments could be potentially avoided by previous lessons taught, rather than the talented kids being bailed out over and over because of - you guessed it - their talent. At some point life smacks you in the face and the decision between right/wrong has to be made.

Just my opinion. One thing that we can all agree on is this is a sad day for not just DE Hoops but DE athletics as a whole. More youth thanks to social media will find this to be entertaining rather than embarsssing.

Where did you get that word? Is it official? Doubt if it could be official yet without an investigation by school and police authorities.
No need trust me its over... Straight from Cape HOF crew.. Just cant go back and kick him when on the ground like that.. Right in the head... Smh.. His career at Cape is over. 100% sure..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT