ADVERTISEMENT

Smyrna vs cape tonight

Diaa a joke
Will cape follow the lead of Red clay from last year?
It took true integrity to do what Red clay did last year with the a.i. situation
Doubtful cape will
Hopefully no problem tonight with my blue raiders

Once a high school player has been hit by a spectator in any fashion... play must be halted and the teams protected. this was a disaster from warmups.. and tremendous irresponsibility on many parts. When the teams got off the bus, they in no way were prepared to deal with spectators sitting on the same bench with them... and making contact with them. And if the parties in charge are not going to protect the players, they most likely will protect themselves..

Reactions: urbaseballdaddy
So why exactly are kids from Howard even there? To scout opponents for the playoffs.... But they won’t even be in the playoffs. All players involved should be suspended for the whole playoffs. One game isn’t nothing.
There was ONE kid from Howard there & he was there to support his boy Garnett as he is from Smyrna & long-time friend of Garnett’s.

Just seen exact full video how it started... One of the boys that was with big kid from Howard kicked Rickards in the back.. Thats why he swung on the kid.. News only got what happened on the floor... DIAA has only 4 hours to figure out what they want to do before seedings come out at 2..
If so then that kid needs to be held accountable because he caused all that craziness. As for what DIAA should do I don’t see why they would kick Cape out of the playoffs...Rickards maybe yes but other than that what did Cape do wrong by defending themselves.

Reactions: 84rider
NOTHING can excuse the behavior of those that were involved in this. Having said that, my guess is that the Henlopen Conference picked a spot right between the two schools to hold the game. Bad decision. That gym is not adequate for a game of that magnitude and the amount of people wanting to attend such an event.

Of course you would. Why would you want to risk putting Rickards in foul trouble. It's a coaching move you see at higher levels all the time but just didn't work out this time.
But you just cant allow a kid keep getting torched over and over again and not make no coaching adjustments.. The whole gym seen that...

If so then that kid needs to be held accountable because he caused all that craziness. As for what DIAA should do I don’t see why they would kick Cape out of the playoffs...Rickards maybe yes but other than that what did Cape do wrong by defending themselves.
Cape is not out of the tourney.. Dont worry they will be seeded 1.. But right Rickards is 50/50.. At first lastnight the word was he was done but this morning looking little different... Wont know until another hour... Debating 1 game or career over..

Cape is not out of the tourney.. Dont worry they will be seeded 1.. But right Rickards is 50/50.. At first lastnight the word was he was done but this morning looking little different... Wont know until another hour... Debating 1 game or career over..
He will play,,its cape.....so tired of no responsibility on kids...all the facility fault.....any coach would have pulled his team if he saw or heard this coming
Blue raiders!

Reactions: memets11
At the end of the day this falls on the adults that were responsible for managing the entire venue. The henlopen conference leaders, administration, and police. I'm sick of tired of seeing fans given the opportunity to say and do what they want at a high school event. Coach Re said it in the most politically correct way when he stated we are dealing with students who are dealing with emotional issues as it is. Then we put them in a venue in which everyone is cheering against you and expect them to control their emotions. After everything that has been occurring in our schools why aren't we protecting our children? I don't know if there were or weren't but there should have been assistant coaches sitting next to Rickards. If Henlopen leaders or police didn't deem it necessary to kick these fans out for their behavior, then they should of been sitting in the stands or standing between the fans and the Cape bench. At the end of the day the student-athletes from Cape were being disrespected by fans that felt like they can do whatever they want because they paid $5 to get into a gymnasium.

Agreed but you stated it all began when Re started Robertson on Garnett. It makes sense to start the lesser of an offensive threat on him in order to keep your guy out of foul trouble. Should have there been a switch, sure, and I'm sure Coach Re is reflecting on that amongst the million other things that happened in that game.
But you just cant allow a kid keep getting torched over and over again and not make no coaching adjustments.. The whole gym seen that...

Rickards just got suspended from Cape school.. It just happen... Until DIAA finish there investigation. . At least let Rickards finish his education at Cape... Smh

Last edited:
I forget who it was just saying last week that Robertson couldn’t stay in front of Madea & I just chuckled to myself at the time thinking it couldn’t be that bad but last night it looked as if so...LoL I would like to see a full stat line for the game because it seemed like Garnett & Veasley was grabbing all the rebounds & had a lot of blocks too. Veasley has improved a lot since the beginning of the season.

He will play,,its cape.....so tired of no responsibility on kids...all the facility fault.....any coach would have pulled his team if he saw or heard this coming
Blue raiders!
Sounds like a Cape hater from Woodbrige hoping he is not available & not wanting to see Cape of course in the tournament. You might want to worry about what Smyrna has in store for the Blue Raiders tonight.

Agreed but you stated it all began when Re started Robertson on Garnett. It makes sense to start the lesser of an offensive threat on him in order to keep your guy out of foul trouble. Should have there been a switch, sure, and I'm sure Coach Re is reflecting on that amongst the million other things that happened in that game.
Your right.. My mind still blown away what i just saw lastnight...

Reactions: _TK44
Sounds like a Cape hater from Woodbrige hoping he is not available & not wanting to see Cape of course in the tournament. You might want to worry about what Smyrna has in store for the Blue Raiders tonight.
Lol.. I needed a laugh today.. Lol

Reactions: Ikeyfbst2
Remember the days when if you acted a fool a parent whooped your ass? Those days are gone. There will be nothing but excuses and passing the blame. I was more afraid of my parents than the cops when I was 17. Sad times
Bro my brother an I
Remember the days when if you acted a fool a parent whooped your ass? Those days are gone. There will be nothing but excuses and passing the blame. I was more afraid of my parents than the cops when I was 17. Sad times
Same here bro, my brother and I were scared as heck of our pops. Never got out of line. Those days are long gone.

Reactions: listening to noise
Rickards started the fight. threw the first punch. That is a FACT, not a guess, opinion, or anything of the likes. Yes the kids should have been removed. I blame that on the henlopen conference committee members who were standing right there trying to bargain with the kids instead of getting them moved. But randy lost his temper and lashed out.

You fight in school, it’s five days. Period. You fight at a school function, same deal. That’s not a basketball decision. It a code of conduct violation. You kick someone in the face like he did, thats assault. If the other guy got charges, so should he. He wasn’t defending himself at that point. Bad move and it changed the whole storyline.

Unfortunate situation for DEHS sports. IMO, the kick at the end is what should have Rickards suspended and off the team. Everything up to that point could be argued as self defense but the kick has no excuse. You just can’t do that.

The Cape coach should have called timeout and told the refs that his players were being touched by fans behind the bench. Move em out or I'm pulling my team off the floor. Period.

Getting kicked in the back while sitting on the bench is unacceptable, but once Rickards threw a punch and then broke away from the people holding him back and kicked the kid laying on the ground, he sealed his fate.

Also, little confused on how Garnett should be suspended. He did not do anything. Whether that be by his choice or the people detaining him, you can’t suspend a kid on your opinion of what he wanted to do. And on the other side, I don’t believe you should suspend the Cape players that left the bench and did not do anything. I know the rule, but this is an unique situation that basically forced them to leave bench.

Reactions: basketball24/7
100% correct... Thats the only reason why... Nothing else... He will also be charged too... Now Rickards have to get a lawyer and try to fight charges and stay in school too because Cape will be forced to kick Rickards out school for good... Just the begining of a sad situation. ..

Rickards started the fight. threw the first punch. That is a FACT, not a guess, opinion, or anything of the likes. Yes the kids should have been removed. I blame that on the henlopen conference committee members who were standing right there trying to bargain with the kids instead of getting them moved. But randy lost his temper and lashed out.
That is so far from a fact if Rickards was indeed kicked in the back then he DID NOT start the brawl...he has a right to defend himself from those kids in the wrong or whoever kicked him. He may have been excessive & started the incident w/ Tribbett by throwing the punch at him BUT if he was never kicked then none of this would have happened. This is why I say whoever did kick him (assuming there was a kick) initiating all of this...they should receive charges before anybody.

I have received a slow-mo video of the altercation & when Rickards was trying to go back to the fight he accidentally bumped into Tribbett while trying to get to the other kids & nothing happened right away when he could have clearly threw a punch at Tribbett right then if Tribbett was the target. He didn’t throw that punch until they were pulling him away the second time...I don’t know if that was in the heat of the moment or if he felt threatened because he knew Tribbett had been w/ those other guys or what but those two were not where it all started for those who are only seeing those two fight in some of those videos.

That is so far from a fact if Rickards was indeed kicked in the back then he DID NOT start the brawl...he has a right to defend himself from those kids in the wrong or whoever kicked him. He may have been excessive & started the incident w/ Tribbett by throwing the punch at him BUT if he was never kicked then none of this would have happened. This is why I say whoever did kick him (assuming there was a kick) initiating all of this...they should receive charges before anybody.

I have received a slow-mo video of the altercation & when Rickards was trying to go back to the fight he accidentally bumped into Tribbett while trying to get to the other kids & nothing happened right away when he could have clearly threw a punch at Tribbett right then if Tribbett was the target. He didn’t throw that punch until they were pulling him away the second time...I don’t know if that was in the heat of the moment or if he felt threatened because he knew Tribbett had been w/ those other guys or what but those two were not where it all started for those who are only seeing those two fight in some of those videos.

So you’re making excuses for why he threw a punch in the second/third time he was pulled away from someone he was punching/kicking?

Excuses excuses excuses. I’m sure all of the young men involved have a demonstrated record of being angels....right?

This was an embarrassment on the henlopen conference and Delaware as a whole. This is all over regional news. Such a pathetic display.

Rickards returned to the bench from a timeout and threw a punch at another kid not tribbet. like i said i am speaking facts. no speculation needed.

So you’re making excuses for why he threw a punch in the second/third time he was pulled away from someone he was punching/kicking?

Excuses excuses excuses. I’m sure all of the young men involved have a demonstrated record of being angels....right?

This was an embarrassment on the henlopen conference and Delaware as a whole. This is all over regional news. Such a pathetic display.
No excuses made & specifically said no excuses for certain actions especially the kick at the end. I simply was trying to put some sort of logic to why the punch was even thrown at Tribbett first while people on here were making it seem like Tribbett instigated it all. You are probably just another poster not knowing the whole story...but it’s cool. The “embarrassing” incident is over now onto tonight’s Henlopen Conference Championship game & next week’s tournament.

Rickards returned to the bench from a timeout and threw a punch at another kid not tribbet. like i said i am speaking facts. no speculation needed.
As far as facts...my thing is that if Rickards was kicked in the back first then he did not start it all & can defend himself. You made it seem as though he started it all with the punch out of nowhere...if that was the case then yes he did start it. But you do not know the facts as far as was he hit first is what I’m saying.

Kids were not being kicked. they were being taunted. one of his teammates was dealing with a kid that during timeouts would place his feet on the bench and not let them sit down. during that last timeout the kid does this, a henlopen committee person tries to talk to the kid. as the rest of the cape players return to the bench from the timeout, including randy, words are exchanged and randy quickly swings at the kid putting his feet down. Issue lies in the fact that those kids were not moved. Very irresponsible

That's the bottom line for me. That tiny arse gym with those two fan bases was a powder keg waiting to explode and it did. Poor planning by the Henlopen Conference.

Agree game should have been played at Dover or CR, but Milford is half way but was not suitable for that type of game.

Last edited:
And again. There is more that factors in than where the game “should” be held. the school has to agree to host the event. And then the schedule for the facilities has to be clear. No school is going to change an event last minute to host this. You guys think things just happen. There’s a reason it was at milford. Milford was he only school to step up and say they would do it or could do it. Now nobody will want to do it in the future

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT