ADVERTISEMENT

Sportsmanship

Putting 20 om the board in the 5th is putting the hammer down. So is leaving the starting pitcher in to get the conplete game shut out. I seriously doubt a complete game shutout vs Dickinson woutd have any weight in All-State voting

Reactions: amp34
Putting 20 om the board in the 5th is putting the hammer down. So is leaving the starting pitcher in to get the conplete game shut out. I seriously doubt a complete game shutout vs Dickinson woutd have any weight in All-State voting

Kid only threw 52 pitches over 5 innings. Looks like first varsity start. I would have left him in too. In the past as a coach I have been on both ends of blow outs. It is no fun for anyone. I am sure Newark did not put the hammer down. You can't just start batting left handed or making outs on purpose either. When a game gets out of hand like this should the umpires expand the strike zone and tell the coaches?

Reactions: 84rider
39-0 buy they didn't put the hammer down ??? Your crazy the point was that's to much point blank shouldn't of happen
Here is the bottom line, because this actually happened in a little league all star game I coached when my son was 10. We beat a team 33-0. We put the subs in, we took one base on balls hit to the fence, we didn't steal. Kids were walking, and the other team was making errors. The coaches from the other team recognized what we tried to do and actually thanked us for what we tried to do. You can pull back all you want, but the other team still has to field the ball and throw strikes. You never tell a team to lay down. I know players and parents from Newark and they did not try to run up the score. It was errors and walks. I also know the pitcher from Newark and he is not a flame thrower.

I understand your point and agree a score should never intentionally be run up. However sometimes it happens no matter how you try not to.

Reactions: Nhs96
It can be very tough, especially in baseball where the other team has to get 3 outs. There's only so much you can do and sometimes, no matter what you do, you're going to upset either the opposing coach or the opposing parents.

I also saw the comment about at least 1 starter didn't come out. If you check Newark's roster, they only list 15 on the varsity roster. By my math at least 3 of the starters had to be in at the end. Not many teams carry enough players to pull all 9 starters.
Newark has several players that play both JV and Varsity, because they did not have enough kids to fill the JV roster. The picture of record from this game happens to play both as the JV has no first basemen

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT