ADVERTISEMENT

St. E’s knocks off Conrad 55-53

Filmore00

Tackles too high
Jan 13, 2017
Wow what a game!! Major props to St. E’s in this upset victory. Mayo is tough and she battled her team to a big win. Lee dominated Conrad’s big and stayed out of foul trouble. One of the best high school girls game I’ve seen in sometime. Maybe since there last game two years ago vs Conrad. Just hoping there are more games this exciting come tournament time or even in the last 5 days of the season.

Reactions: 84rider
Hey I’ll eat my words. Good job to StE for pulling out the win. Tough and hard fought.

Reactions: 84rider
I've lost count of how many girls games I've seen this season, and this was up there with any of them. Mayo was sensational, but instead of launching from outside, she drove the lane all night. Alexis Lee was a beast on the boards, and she blocked several shots. St. E nearly cost itself the game with poor free throw shooting, but they escaped.

Hats off to Conrad, which was down 12 in the first half before Julie Kulesza scored eight straight, and also down 52-43 and fought back to tie. Stefanie Kulesza hit a three while standing six inches in front of her dad, about six feet behind the arc. Jaw drops. Then she came down and swished one while her feet were in the tipoff circle. Julie came within inches of winning the game at the buzzer. And all Alyssa Faville does is impress every time out. I hope these two teams meet again at the Bob.

I've been in the camp that felt St. E was kinda overrated, but after last night, I'm singing a different tune. That was a great girls' hoops game from start to finish and hopefully they do see each other again at some point in the tournament. I still think Conrad has what it takes to win it all, but St. E can do the same if they put together more efforts like last night.

I agree, this was one of the best high school girls' basketball games I've seen. Mayo and Lee played extremely well and dominated their counterparts. This may have been Conrad's worst shooting night, but it happens. Either Coach Kulesza thought his team would dominate the man to man defense, or he didn't do his homework. John Noonan showed how to stop Mayo, by giving her the outside and packing the middle with help defense not to let her drive. St. E's entire offense was to give the ball to Mayo and let her work. The other 4 players would spread out, giving Mayo the middle of the floor. Conrad followed their players in coverage. Mayo had the entire middle to go to the basket. Big mistake by Conrad. If there were any question about he offense, when Mayo took a breather, the St. E's offense did not know what to do. They were lost. Putting the whole game on one player will only get you so far. If she's not on, or the defense packs it in (Ursuline Game & Caravel Game) the offense is broke.

Now's a good time to bring up a very good player who has been silent. Julie McCarron can be as good as anyone in the State. Bold statement, Yep. She was a powerhouse in AAU ball, playing alongside Mayo, and Brooks from Ursuline. She goes to the basket hard, can shoot, plays strong defense, and rebounds well. So why haven't we heard from her this year? When you run your offense on one player, unless your an Alpha, you accept your role and will never be heard of. Coach Cooney is missing out on something here. With Mayo, Lee, and McCarron all forces in the offense they could compete with top 3. This would also allow Hines and Henry to make their statements. 5 plaes on offense and defense, I'll take that any day.

Can hardly wait for the tournament now. This "should" be good.

Reactions: sportsguy725
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT