ADVERTISEMENT

State brackets

myrealname

In the weight room getting big
Sep 11, 2008
Up on trackwrestling already. Well 106 and 113 are. Guess they are putting up as they seed.

Looks like they realized it was going live and made it private. . Saw at 106 Henlopen got top 4 seeds and in the ultmate slap to update the blue hen final is a 1st round 8-9 seed match.
At 113 I don't recall all the seeds.

Did they change up the way they have done the brackets forever? Never heard of them seeding Top 4 seeds only the top seed and then a predetermined bracket.

They seeded the whole weight this year. At least that's what I think. It's not just top 4 seeded

I think you are wrong. Delaware State News has the top seeds up.
106- Harrington Cr
113- Archangelo Smy
120- Schmeusser Poly
126- Chilson St. G
132- L.McDonough San
138- Ferrazzo Caravel
145- Nelson Wood
152- Monson Wood
160- Currie Cape
170- Armstrong Hod
182-Schneider Md
195- Bennett Smy
220- Mullnack Poly
Hwt-Dooley Penn

I was told Friday night they are seeding all 16 wrestlers and heard it again when it was discussed on the live stream as well Saturday.

Would love to see it. The seeding meetings will take all week and there are definitely going to be a lot of bad feelings afterward.

For whats its worth I think they got it right in most weight classes.. of course you could flip a kid or two but for the most part they are spot on..JMHO

Originally posted by SCash:
I think you are wrong. Delaware State News has the top seeds up.
106- Harrington Cr
113- Archangelo Smy
120- Schmeusser Poly
126- Chilson St. G
132- L.McDonough San
138- Ferrazzo Caravel
145- Nelson Wood
152- Monson Wood
160- Currie Cape
170- Armstrong Hod
182-Schneider Md
195- Bennett Smy
220- Mullnack Poly
Hwt-Dooley Penn
I'm right. They seeded all 16 spots at every weight today.

With results during the season to back the seeding - Why not ? Maybe the same logic will eventually be used to send the top 6 teams to Duals.
This post was edited on 2/23 2:13 PM by oldsalt22

It will be interesting to see if the seeding holds true. I saw the brackets and some of them are crazy. Conference finalists meeting in the first round. An exciting experiment to say the least.

With all due respect to the Blue hen kids many of those finalists are not top 6 kids in the state. Seeding looks pretty good. Only thing i noticed was Marcozzi from IR at 160 beung a tough draw for the 4th seed, Going to happen when kids default to 6

I think the seeding is pretty good as well. I do understand how someone who hasn't seen kids south of the canal can feel disrespected, however. Delaware is small enough that those who really follow the kids all year (and over the years) know the relative strengths of everyone in the weight classes. Nothing jumped out as crazy to me when looking at the brackets. I did notice some conference rematches early but that is how is should be if the entire bracket is based on seeds and not on conference location or placement. A test of the new system should be 170 where an undefeated wrestler grabbed first seed over a kid generally considered top in the state all year but who had 6 losses. Those loses were at Beast, Escape the Rock, against Blair, etc. The undefeated wrestler had weaker competition by any objective measure but still could be the best wrestler. He does have some quality wins this season. Should be an interesting matchup. It does bring up the unpleasant business of strength of schedule (for each kid, and team), however. On the surface, it might seem a no-brainer to seed the undefeated wrestler first but when factoring strength of competition, there might be reason to pause. No knock on any kid and just fodder for discussion. I wish all wrestler a rewarding and, above all else, a safe State tournament,.
This post was edited on 2/24 10:16 AM by youjustme

Saw that at 170. The top seed may have a hard time with his quarter final match assuming he wins his prelim. I predict an upset there.

I haven't seen enough to be completely objective. However Not giving the 1 seed to an undefeated wrestler is always tough. It is especially so when the "top pick" has 6 losses. It looks to me that the seeding was well done based on the criteria in place.

Heard you talking food on the radio while I was rushing to get to conferences since nobody said they were going to run two hours ahead of schedule, John. Didn't know it was you at first, then you kind of mentioned how you got annoyed with the government. I was like, "OK, now the always anti-DIAA thing makes more sense."

Anyway, regarding the topic, I like the new seeding better. Gets rid of the forfeiting in conference tourneys and has made for some interesting quarterfinals matches this weekend.

Originally posted by Wrestle141:
Does anyone know the timeline for states Friday/Saturday?
Session One on Day One
Teams arrive on-site no earlier than 2:00 p.m.
Weigh-ins start at 2:30 p.m.
Preliminary Round starts at 4:00 p.m. on five mats
Quarterfinal Round starts at ~7:00 p.m. immediately following the preliminary round on three mats
The first Consolation Round starts at ~7:00 p.m. immediately following the preliminary round on two mats

Session Two on Day Two
Teams arrive on-site no earlier then 9:15 a.m.
Weigh-ins start at 9:30 a.m.
Championship Semi-finals start at 11:00 a.m. on two mats
Second Consolation Round starts at 10:30 on four mats
Quarterfinal Consolation Round starts on two mats at the conclusion of the preceding consolation round and will
utilize all four mats as they become available
Semi-final Consolation Round starts at the conclusion of the preceding consolation round on all four mats
Session Three on Day Two
Fifth Place Round starts at 5:30 p.m. on three mats
Third Place round starts immediately following on all three mats
Parade of Champions at 6:55 p.m.
Championship Finals at 7:00 p.m. on one mat

What time do the first place finals start? 7? I know the final rounds started at 5:30 but isn't that for the 3rd and 5th place matches?

Edit: NVM it's right above my post lol.
This post was edited on 2/28 10:10 AM by smack.jack99

Originally posted by spartakos:
@my

you called that one...@170

126 was surprising also. ..
Think a lot of people called that one at 170. Downside of an easy in season schedule. I'd rather see a kid with 10 losses but prepared for the level of competition at post season tournaments.

When i saw the 126 result if trackwrestling I thought it was an error. Wow! Heard after it was a questionable Td in overtime but good for the Smyrna boy. Perfect example of a kid who wrestled a tough schedule and was ready for states!

Trying to to get over there for semis.

Some of you guys are a joke. These kids have no choice in regards to their schedule and who they wrestle. Just because they're not part of the collective "Smyrna" they don't rate? Some of these schools are doing things honestly, the best they can, not collecting the best kids from the state. If a kid is good enough he'll get there no matter where he's seated. I heard the kid at 170 had one of y'all approach him about it. Yeah, so he had to fight not only his match, but all you adults, congratulations!!

@duhammer(1st seed's mom)

first of all , the kid at 170 did pick a school other than his chosen one.... WP
then the real first seed was disrespected by being giving a second seed when everyone knows the truth.
this guy and his brother wrestle year round...train with a True MMA champ year round ...and have been in the Smyrna wrestling community since a young age...and both will rise to the top!

I am definitely not a Smyrna fan , but I am a big fan of talent..

just saying

This post was edited on 2/28 3:11 PM by spartakos

Originally posted by Dahammer23:
Some of you guys are a joke. These kids have no choice in regards to their schedule and who they wrestle. Just because they're not part of the collective "Smyrna" they don't rate? Some of these schools are doing things honestly, the best they can, not collecting the best kids from the state. If a kid is good enough he'll get there no matter where he's seated. I heard the kid at 170 had one of y'all approach him about it. Yeah, so he had to fight not only his match, but all you adults, congratulations!!
A joke? So you think I'm funny? Thanks! Now, if any adult approached that kid they should be smacked. If it was my kid I assure you he would have been and I also know my kids coach wouldn't have let that go. Trust me I'm not part of the "collective Smyrna". Finally as for my opinion on schedule, some coaches chase trophies while wrestling easy tournaments all year while others chase championships while wrestling events that challenge their kid. I think you'll agree that the level of competition showed in round one at states. The kids who saw tough comp all year were ready to go. Hey if trophies from little tournaments mean more to a coach than state placers then congrats. Now I better go eat so I can get a good seat for finals. Should be some great matches.

Instead of hiding behind a fake name, my name is Ron Wuest. If you, or any of your people have something smart ass to say to me come say it too me. I never said anything negative about any wrestler just school schedules and seeding criteria thanks to padded records. In response to your "fail to rise to the top" comment, at least he placed in the states!

This post was edited on 2/28 5:08 PM by rwuest

This post was edited on 2/28 3:12 PM by rwuest

I agree competition makes kids thrive. I just hated this whole situation when it came to the kids. I agree with you it's the coach is not the kids!!

Exactly. I don't think anyone said anything negative about the young man or any wrestler. The strength of schedule was always the question. Look at the records of almost if not every state placer and you'll see losses. Those losses made those kids better wrestlers. Just my opinion.

I was extremely shocked that Ronnie Wuest didn't win a State title. I picked him to win at the beginning of the season. His brother is a future four time State Champ for sure. Every tournament i ever took my son to out of season i always saw them both their wrestling. It's obvious they take their wrestling very serious and it shows. I'm also no Smyrna fan but can recognize true talent when i see It.

The Freshman blew the roof off the place.. crazy it ended up the last match as well.. pretty awesome..glad I was there to see it... the Roosters plan on coming back next year as fans as well.. great event
happy0030.r191677.gif

One thing that I love about the sport of wrestling is that politics cant get in the way of these kids and the outcome of the matches. Some parents, coaches and fans try so hard to control what happens and who thier kid will face. At the end of the day, the truth is revealed on which kids prepared themselves for the best. I dont put too much weight on records and seedings. If the kid has done all the right things, it will show and he will rise to the top. Im not partial to any school, there were some kids that have proven that they are working hard and doing all the right things. The tournament showed that there were kids that maybe thought they were going to walk through the tournament only to find kids that worked harder and were very hungry. My hats off to all the kids that made it to states. From the champs all the way down to the ones who fell short. Keep working hard to reach your goals. Dont let anything get in your way.

This post was edited on 3/2 10:18 AM by wrestlingdad15

@wd15...well said and that's what I have told my boys ever since they were 6 & 7 years old. We will never play seeding games and try to cherry pick opponents. Only "placers" worry excessively about seeding, specifically about getting to the finals. "Champions" recognize that it means more to get first place if you face the best competition instead of hoping someone else does the heavy lifting on the other side of the bracket. To each is own...I don't judge (well, maybe a little) and things usually turn out like they should. As far as this weekend, I was especially happy to see the attitude of many wrestlers. No one respected anyone so much that they wrestled timidly, everyone had a "Why Not Me?" demeanor and that made for some exciting matches. Just like in life, some times a step here or a decision there leads to unexpected or disappointing results but it's all about the lessons learned and getting back up to face the next challenge...there will always be another one coming around the corner. I can't remember such a "wide open" field in a state tournament. I like the new seeding scheme and hope it continues to round itself into a valuable instrument for Delaware wrestling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT