ADVERTISEMENT

States

lol thanks... who is going to post the brackets so we can do a bracket challenge? chicken dinners aside if we all agree we can have a steak and beans dinner... top 50 percent gets steak and under 50 gets beans.. we can all agree to split the check? Top dog eats for free sounds fun? Maybe Benny can find it in his heart to throw in a 302 tee for the winner?

Reactions: wtc76
Just asked some coaches, they can't see brackets (unless on comittee) either but know who is in as far as at large bids go

I am new to delaware wrestling so this might be a dumb question but Why is the state champonship held at Cape? Seems like quite a hassle for all teams up state

I am new to delaware wrestling so this might be a dumb question but Why is the state champonship held at Cape? Seems like quite a hassle for all teams up state
Not Sure if any upstate schools could host it, and most who would attend are from below the canal.

Cape is a great venue mid state. Mrs and I take a weekend vacation at the beach and attend the finals. Sure it’s not beach weather but it is the beach and cheap rates for Oceanside rooms. We’re booked. Green Turtle and Cooter Browns here we come lol

A couple years ago when they had it at Dover I didn’t bother going. Nothing to do there

Reactions: sportsguy725
Cape is a great venue mid state. Mrs and I take a weekend vacation at the beach and attend the finals. Sure it’s not beach weather but it is the beach and cheap rates for Oceanside rooms. We’re booked. Green Turtle and Cooter Browns here we come lol

A couple years ago when they had it at Dover I didn’t bother going. Nothing to do there
I wouldn't characterize Cape as being "mid state". I think that is just a habit now, and falls under the category of "if it ain't broke....". Logistically, Smyrna is more mid state, and has the room. Unfortunately, states always conflicts with the "I Love Smyrna Day" annual events. Maybe the new gyms at Laurel or Woodbridge could be used as options.

Reactions: Dahammer23
I wouldn't characterize Cape as being "mid state". I think that is just a habit now, and falls under the category of "if it ain't broke....". Logistically, Smyrna is more mid state, and has the room. Unfortunately, states always conflicts with the "I Love Smyrna Day" annual events. Maybe the new gyms at Laurel or Woodbridge could be used as options.

Wut chu talkin bout YJM.? It takes me 20 mins to get to PA. 20’mins to get to Smyrna. 1 and a half hours to get to Cape and 2 and half hours to get to Delmar. it’s Middle enough and has stuff to do in the area. Stifle it YJM. keep it there.

- Gym size for 5 mats
- Gym size for seating capacity
- Personnel for planning and executing the tournament
- Provision of adequate concessions and hospitality
- Parking capacity
- Willingness to host
- Good viewing

There are not many places in the state that can meet all of those criteria.

Map don’t matter. Traffic is more congested up this way. Time matters not space. Just saying lol

- Gym size for 5 mats
- Gym size for seating capacity
- Personnel for planning and executing the tournament
- Provision of adequate concessions and hospitality
- Parking capacity
- Willingness to host
- Good viewing

There are not many places in the state that can meet all of those criteria.

Map don’t matter. Traffic is more congested up this way. Time matters not space. Just saying lol

True on all accounts. I don’t even know why this is even a complaint or argument. Silliness.

Smyrna? Cmon man what the hell is anyone going to do there? Got any food trucks there? That’s worse than Dover YJM. It would like hosting the Supebowl in Montana

Felt like i just got served dinner... I see a lot of henlopen vs henlopen first round

Last edited:
Looks like the making of a Milford / Smyrna dual meet. Think I counted like 7-8 matchups in 1st or 2nd rounds.

any surprises?

Harp at 3 seed is a bit surprising
Primo down to 5
Reagan up to 4
Knight should be higher than 9 IMO
Bernieri down to 4 tough draw for him
Mejia down to 8
Lamey up to 5
Wilson up to 3 :D
Hutt up to 4
Seda down to 12 :mad:
Winkelman should be higher than 11 o_O

Last edited:
any surprises?

Harp at 3 seed is a bit surprising
Primo down to 5
Reagan up to 4
Knight should be higher than 9 IMO
Bernieri down to 4 tough draw for him
Mejia down to 8
Lamey up to 5
Wilson up to 3 :D
Hutt up to 4
Seda down to 12 :mad:
Winkelman should be higher than 11 o_O
I think the seeding reflect several factors:
1) Perhaps too much emphasis was given to conference placement. One bad tournament shouldn't offset an entire season of work. I was surprised to see OTT at 10, Harp at 3. And the reverse is true as well. I also was surprised to see Wilson at 3. Hard to see Primo at 5, but it is also hard to justify higher other than "gut feeling". 132 is a tough wt class for a freshman, so I have no problem with Knight at 9. I don't know enough about some kids to have an opinion.
2) The Henlopen conference was given the benefit of the doubt in most cases. This ole chestnut comes up every year when someone from upstate complains that their #2 in conference is seeded 8th or so with a ton of Henlopen guys ahead of them. But the truth is that we often see 6th placers in Henlopen beat the #2 (sometimes #1) of other conferences at states. This year was especially "dodgy" in some minds since some Indy and BH weight classes had relatively few participants. Btw, special shout out to those "northern" wrestlers were "Henlopen" born and raised. :)
3) More A beat B, B beat C, but C beat A scenarios than usual. There seems to be greater parity this year. Only a few wt classes have clear favorites. Even dominant Giampietro, Schneider, and O'Connor have had a rare close match or two. Davis has been 'lights out" this year. But as many old timers can tell you, nothing is guaranteed for that last weekend of the season.

Last edited:
I think the seeding reflect several factors:
1) Perhaps too much emphasis was given to conference placement. One bad tournament shouldn't offset an entire season of work. I was surprised to see OTT at 10, Harp at 3. And the reverse is true as well. I also was surprised to see Wilson at 3. Hard to see Primo at 5, but it is also hard to justify higher other than "gut feeling". 132 is a tough wt class for a freshman, so I have no problem with Knight at 9. I don't know enough about some kids to have an opinion.
2) The Henlopen conference was given the benefit of the doubt in most cases. This ole chestnut comes up every year when someone from upstate complains that their #2 in conference is seeded 8th or so with a ton of Henlopen guys ahead of them. But the truth is that we often see 6th placers in Henlopen beat the #2 (sometimes #1) of other conferences at states. This year was especially "dodgy" in some minds since some Indy and BH weight classes had relatively few participants. Btw, special shout out to those "northern" wrestlers were "Henlopen" born and raised. .
I spoke at our seeding meeting about your #1 point. First I’ll say I appreciate the effort to improve the seeding by the SWC. It’s much better than the good ole auto populated brackets when coaches would sandbag their place matches to get into certain spots. Now I don’t agree that BH 2 for example should have to be seeded over BH3. Kids have bad tournaments and I don’t feel their state seed should be based off of one event. Just as in conferences or on a larger scale the NCAA tournament, the entire season should be considered. Things happen such as illness, girlfriend broke up with them Thursday night, dog ran away, big test Friday morning, etc. Yes some are far fetched but you get the idea. Say the Henlopen 3 was 39-0 heading into conferences, a returning state champ, 3-0 versus Henlopen 1 and 2-0 versus Henlopen 2 but gets caught by a kid that’s 12-20 on the season in a defensive pin or victim of a bad call in round 1 of conferences then wrestles back for 3rd. It happens. He now is 43-1 and has to wait for both Henlopen 1 and 2 to be seeded before he can be. If H2 has losses to BH 2 and Indy 1, he now most likely won’t be seeded until H1, Indy 1, H2, Bh1 and BH2 at the very best. Don’t we all agree he’s better than a 6th seed? Again no system is perfect and I honestly don’t know what can be done, but I’d say considering the entire season along with conference place could work. I know these guys on the state wrestling committee put in a lot of work on a Sunday to get this done and it’s appreciated. Just throwing out something for discussion. We did ask our conference rep whether it was something that would ever possibly be considered.

Last edited:
Potential finals crasher- 152 Dalton Deevy Milf as 7 seed. Lost 4-3 in conference semis to degraffinreed who is the 2 seed. Beat Currie the 3 seed 12-10 in dual meet

Reactions: BigMike52
Slim pickings at 285. Henlopen has 7 kids in. Pretty sure blue hen bracket only had 5 kids and 4 are in
106 also sees 7 henlopen kids. 113 actually put 8 blue hen kids in, surprising at first until you look at the conference brackets for Hen and Indy

Last edited:
Indy 285 only had 5 wrestlers as well.. I believe the poster is talking bout the kid who was 5th at Indy who is in States field

Scaffold at 132 has the 6th seed with the upset at conference. Could be a tough draw for Griffith in the quarterfinals.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT