ADVERTISEMENT

Targeting

May 7, 2019
I see it every game, but I have never see it called.
Does anyone know if it has ever been called this year?

Targeting is defined in the new rules as "intentionally taking aim at the head/neck of an opponent for the purpose of making violent contact." so in theory it can happen anywhere on the field but most of the time it is committed by a player in their defensive zone. The contact does not have to initiate at the head to be targeting. If a body check slides up to the head or neck it is considered targeting. The rules are very clear. Targeting was suppose to be a point of emphasis this year, but it does not appear that has happened.

Targeting is defined in the new rules as "intentionally taking aim at the head/neck of an opponent for the purpose of making violent contact." so in theory it can happen anywhere on the field but most of the time it is committed by a player in their defensive zone. The contact does not have to initiate at the head to be targeting. If a body check slides up to the head or neck it is considered targeting. The rules are very clear. Targeting was suppose to be a point of emphasis this year, but it does not appear that has happened.

Havent seen the call, and have defunitely seen my son slide up and hit a few kids in the head. Its not intentional but you slide up the body etc.

not called onece

Just in case someone decides to actually start calling the rule, I pasted it below. It was intended to take the high hits and hits on defenseless players out of the game. So far it has failed because the refs aren't calling it and the players don't know about it.

5-3 PENALTY: Penalty for violation of Article 5 is a two- or three- minute, non-releasable foul, at the official's discretion. An excessively violent violation of this rule may result in an ejection.

5-4-4: A player shall not initiate a body check legally but slides up into or follows through to an opponent's head or neck.

5-4-5: A player shall not body-check a player in a defenseless position. This includes but is not limited to: (a) body-checking a player from his "blind side;" (b) body checking a player who has his head down in an attempt to play a loose ball; and (c) body-checking a player whose head is turned away to receive a pass, even if that player turns toward the contact immediately before the body check.

5-4-6: A player shall not initiate targeting, which is intentionally taking aim at the head/neck of an opponent for the purpose of making violent contact. This could include a check with the crown of the helmet (spearing) that targets the head or neck of an opponent. PENALTY: Three-minute, non-releasable foul. An excessively violent violation of this rule may result in an ejection.

5-4-7: A player shall not initiate targeting that intentionally takes aim at a player in a defenseless position. PENALTY: Three-minute, non-releasable foul. An excessively violent violation of this rule may result in an ejection.

Just video from a recent game where the defensive player hit a player that jumped into the air trying to catch a high pass (3 minute and possible ejection - defenseless player), with a cross check (1 minute), late (the ball was long gone long before contact was made - 1 minute), directly in the neck (3 minute and possible ejection - targeting). One ref hesitated and then threw a late flag for a one minute penalty (the other ref did not even throw a flag)... AND here is the kicker... the player and coach both complained because they thought it was a legal hit.

Just video from a recent game where the defensive player hit a player that jumped into the air trying to catch a high pass (3 minute and possible ejection - defenseless player), with a cross check (1 minute), late (the ball was long gone long before contact was made - 1 minute), directly in the neck (3 minute and possible ejection - targeting). One ref hesitated and then threw a late flag for a one minute penalty (the other ref did not even throw a flag)... AND here is the kicker... the player and coach both complained because they thought it was a legal hit.

Sounds pretty obvious penalty to me, but obviously would need to see it to confirm.

My take is that hitting is part of the game it isn’t illegal, but there are simple rules - no hitting to head, no hitting in the back, no cross checking, and no late hitting.

But my son is a D Pole and it’s never easy. He hit a kid recently and it was pretty nasty but from a rule perspective legal. Led with the head of the stick, followed through with the shoulder to the chest and hit the kid as he shot. Kid went down, ball went wide, and kid never entered the area in front of net again. Son got a 1 min unreleasable - terrible call it was clean just hard. He did exactly what he was supposed to do but they call a bad penalty then they let go your example that sounds like an execution.

Delaware refs are inconsistent at best so it really depends on the game, unfortunately it usually goes to one extreme or the other. They call a penalty for breathing on an attack man or they let kids literally kill each other.

3-minute unreleasbles have been called plenty since inception of the rule, but since it's a judgment call left to officials they often miss it altogether or downgrade it from time they blow the whistle until they decide what they are calling, too much human error involved to see a full implementation of a rule like this. It is definitely needed and officials definitely need to step their game up.

AND here is the kicker... the player and coach both complained because they thought it was a legal hit.

I watch a ton of different sports at schools all over New Castle County and occasionally beyond, and by far lacrosse has the most whining about calls.

Biggest problem in lacrosse is like that of other sports. Finding quality officials. Little pay to get yelled at by most people who know nothing about the game. I remember scouting a game where the fans where going crazy on an official about calls and the coach walked over to them with the opposing teams coach and told them to chill out that the officials weren't controlling the outcome of game that his team wasn't as good as the other team. DE is very far behind when it comes to lacrosse and they think they know it all. That goes for parents, coaches, players, and officials. Its a lose lose battle for people who know the sport. You just got to laugh at it sometimes.

The only thing I absolutely expect from lacrosse officials anymore is that they keep the health and safety of the players as a top priority. They can miss all sorts of calls but if someone gets hit in the head or neck or there is a hit on a defenseless player, I expect them to call it. Those plays are not difficult to see and it is very easy to make those calls. They do not require agreeing opinions, they are simple straight forward facts.

The only thing I absolutely expect from lacrosse officials anymore is that they keep the health and safety of the players as a top priority. They can miss all sorts of calls but if someone gets hit in the head or neck or there is a hit on a defenseless player, I expect them to call it. Those plays are not difficult to see and it is very easy to make those calls. They do not require agreeing opinions, they are simple straight forward facts.

Never that clean cut. D player hit a Attack which lowers his head into the contract - was that a illegal hit? It was on the attack player really?

I think you are basically saying ON the clear as day plays make the call and that I agree with.

I always tell lacrosse officials in DE thank you and good job when i see them. Fans truly know very little of rules and whine about everything. God bless the refs!!!!

Reactions: E-Torro
Never that clean cut. D player hit a Attack which lowers his head into the contract - was that a illegal hit? It was on the attack player really?

I think you are basically saying ON the clear as day plays make the call and that I agree with.

I actually think it is pretty clean cut. If the player making the hit starts high or raises his arms during the process of the hit it should be called. It is easy to see that live and at speed. Watch some of these plays in slow motion and you will see how easy the call is if you watch the hands of the player making the hit. Also, I am no homer. I want the call made on any player that makes such a hit regardless of team, time of the game, or position on the field because it keeps everyone safer. This is about safety, nothing else. D-poles would adjust if the call was made on a regular basis and yes I understand it might make their life more difficult but we are talking about the long term health of the players here.

I actually think it is pretty clean cut. If the player making the hit starts high or raises his arms during the process of the hit it should be called. It is easy to see that live and at speed. Watch some of these plays in slow motion and you will see how easy the call is if you watch the hands of the player making the hit. Also, I am no homer. I want the call made on any player that makes such a hit regardless of team, time of the game, or position on the field because it keeps everyone safer. This is about safety, nothing else. D-poles would adjust if the call was made on a regular basis and yes I understand it might make their life more difficult but we are talking about the long term health of the players here.

So if the D is doing a perfectly legal hit - say lead with stick head and follow with the shoulder to the chest and the attack lowers his head at the last second its a penalty?

That’s what I meant - now if the D raises his arms and cross checks hell thats a penalty and usually fairly obvious

Short answer is if you hit someone in the head you hit them in the head. The reality is that they pretty much don’t call any of these hits now so calling something/anything would be an improvement. I would like to see everything called. If you have seen someone with CTE or dementia would probably agree. With all the hits I took, I know it’s just a matter of time for me... so I will argue the point as long as I still can.

Short answer is if you hit someone in the head you hit them in the head. The reality is that they pretty much don’t call any of these hits now so calling something/anything would be an improvement. I would like to see everything called. If you have seen someone with CTE or dementia would probably agree. With all the hits I took, I know it’s just a matter of time for me... so I will argue the point as long as I still can.

Fair enough

I think there are a lot of no calls because the official can't determine if the offensive player lowered the head or if it was a legit shot a the head by the defense. The officials don't want to take away the ball from offense if the offensive player is still moving forward even if he created the contact.

I guess I don’t understand what you are trying to say. Targeting or a hit on a defenseless player usually ends the play one way or another but most of the time because the player that got hit is laying on the ground hurt. If you are describing a stick making contact with the neck or head in a non violent manner that is not targeting so it would only be a one minute penalty. Either way both would include a slow whistle so play doesn’t stop right away.
Also please keep in mind there is nothing in the rules that eliminates responsibility for head contact due to any movement made by the player getting hit. In other words a hit to the head is a hit to the head. Call it.

Last edited:
I guess I don’t understand what you are trying to say. Targeting or a hit on a defenseless player usually ends the play one way or another but most of the time because the player that got hit is laying on the ground hurt. If you are describing a stick making contact with the neck or head in a non violent manner that is not targeting so it would only be a one minute penalty. Either way both would include a slow whistle so play doesn’t stop right away.
Also please keep in mind there is nothing in the rules that eliminates responsibility for head contact due to any movement made by the player getting hit. In other words a hit to the head is a hit to the head. Call it.

Agree with the safety first was trying to get a feel for what your seeing

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT