ADVERTISEMENT

Teams of the past com paired to today

Iowa hawk fan

Towel boy
Jul 18, 2012
Will we ever see teams like in the past? 1998 St. Marks with 8 champs, 9 in the finals and a 3rd. 1999 Hodgson with 3 champs, 6 in the finals. 2000 hodgson with 3 champs and 4 in finals. That same year St.Marks had 5 in the finals. 2003 St. Marks 4 champs 6 in finals.
2004 it was CR with 3 champs and 5 in the finals.
There always seems to be talk about upstate wrestling being on a downturn, it's true from years past. Hodgson and St.marks certainly had their time in the spotlight in years past, it's unfortunate that they fell off the face of the earth.
Now with sallies and Caravel this year with I think 3 champs each, I hope the blue hen can turn it around.
What teams and years am I leaving out, CR, Smyrna and Hodgson all had stellar teams and wrestlers as well in recent history,

Teams back then in the late 90s early 00s got away with recruiting to private schools a lot more than they do today... those teams were made by getting kids to come to their school and recruiting isn’t as big today in high school because of rule changes... overall it’s good for the state though puts good kids all around different schools and makes the competition better

I agree with that for the most part. My son had a choice between St. Marks and Hodgson, call it recruiting if you want. Seen it going on at Smyrna and CR as well. Today I'm not sure as I've been removed for about 10 years. With the population explosion going on around Middletown there are now has multiple high schools. Further watering it down. My point being, I guess, those teams could field a JV team that could beat a lot of teams in dual meets today. It wasn't unusual to be a JR, SR, to crack the lineup. Watching Milfords team win the d2 for like the 6th time in a row Im just amazed. Not much crisp, great wrestling going on. We would have mowed right through their lineup. Maybe I just have blinders on or remember things differently in my old age, LOL.

I agree with that for the most part. My son had a choice between St. Marks and Hodgson, call it recruiting if you want. Seen it going on at Smyrna and CR as well. Today I'm not sure as I've been removed for about 10 years. With the population explosion going on around Middletown there are now has multiple high schools. Further watering it down. My point being, I guess, those teams could field a JV team that could beat a lot of teams in dual meets today. It wasn't unusual to be a JR, SR, to crack the lineup. Watching Milfords team win the d2 for like the 6th time in a row Im just amazed. Not much crisp, great wrestling going on. We would have mowed right through their lineup. Maybe I just have blinders on or remember things differently in my old age, LOL.
yea when we were younger the world was bigger stronger faster, more technically sound...in our memory anyway. i think a dominant team is somewhat a function of luck and timing, however technique evolves right? the training techniques and methods i used powerlifting in the 90s would be laughed at today. i do believe mental toughness is on the decline with todays youth.

Memory is a tricky thing. There are some really good kids and teams right now. Talent and depth are cyclical . Its a good time for DE wrestling

I agree with the mental toughness part. Coaches like Lamey, Dooley and a ton of others have the ability to have young men WANT TO work hard for them. I'm sure CR, Smyrna, SC as well. Take a tough kid and teach them to wrestle. It's something some coaches can get out of their wrestlers. Lamey took guys that never wrestled before high school and churned out State Champs. Alot has to do with tradition as well.
Up north here the loss of the CYO programs was a big loss. Downstate as well. Tyrants filled that void up north when running out of Red Lion, and pumped out good wrestlers to several upstate schools. Smyrna has always fed the high school with quality wrestlers. Team Delaware was doing a crazy amount of tournaments fielding good teams, both Freestyle and schoolastic. Today I see guys that have trained hard and gone the extra mile to achieve individual results. But schools as a hole are not dominating.
This year congrats to Sallies, they have school size, extensive coaching staff of past wrestlers willing to give back. Caravel as well. Top notch coaches that were great wrestlers. I look forward to watching some off season wrestling.

I guess I comparing the likes of, Aaron Jester Conner McDonald, Jordan Sianni Ian Moser, Bruce Kelly Alex Meade, Brian Welsh Pat Atkinson, Mike Welsh Pete Lucirica, Luke Rebutus, Andrew Donofrio Paul Antonio, Damien Creighton Mike Miller, Jamell Jones, John Testa, Bryan Robinson. The list could go on. The lower weights were just technically sound. The upper weights were men in size and attitude. These upper weights would mow right through the competition.
I hope leverage is right and the cycle is coming back around. I did see some good wrestling and hope for multiple state champions to come out of this group of young men,

1985 CR had 4 champs and 5 in the finals.

IMO, the wrestlers today are superior to the past. They wrestle way more, coaching is superior and there are far more kids wrestling offseasons. I had no idea there was such a thing as offseason wrestling. The season was long enough. That was the 80s and my experience.

Reactions: wtc76
1985 CR had 4 champs and 5 in the finals.

IMO, the wrestlers today are superior to the past. They wrestle way more, coaching is superior and there are far more kids wrestling offseasons. I had no idea there was such a thing as offseason wrestling. The season was long enough. That was the 80s and my experience.
You are exactly right but with all that being said I think with the increase of year round wrestling we see a decrease in multi-sport athletes... not sure how that will effect the sport but I’ve seen many studies suggest multiple sports are beneficial. Many more opportunities, clinics and clubs and such today.

The decrease of multi sport athletes certainly hurts wresting particularly in the upper weights.....football players wrestle where I grew up it was just what you did not so much anymore

If i was to rank the decades
2000s
2010s
1990s
1980s
1970s
The 70s and 80s had tough kids but limited training and extras
90s was start of training. The 2000s had it all, old school tough and training. 2010s are a different time but still good.My two cents from 40+ years of wrestling.

Lev the HS I went to in Kansas had kids going to Iowa, Oklahoma, Iowa State, Oki State etc.. every year.. Wrestle offs for the varsity was 6 to 9 kids deep every week,, I didnt wrestle there I played basketball but damn those matches were tough... My buddy Ronnie did and never got past 3 or 4 He did get to wrestle sophomore team a couple times... Just saying

not trying to make any point just talking

Mazz I'd have to disagree, the names I mentioned are not from recent years, care to do a matchup, PFP from this years tournament?
Leverage I'd have to agree with your decades ranking, spot on. Today's lower weights as I said above are technically sound. The upper weights are lacking.
To BIB point. Multi sport athletes, wrestling benefits all other sports. Today's football players not wrestling I just don't get it. It would benefit them greatly, in many ways. The only other sport that taxes you mentally and physically like wrestling is cross county running, and then only if you are in the top tier. The mental toughness to push on when all is hurting and your lungs are about to explode is real.
How would this years team match up at say Disney Duals? Some would do good, some the best part of the trip would be the theme parks,

It’s a tough comparison because of how different technique is today versus even 10-15 years ago. For instance, years ago kids never wanted to be put underneath- that was considered bad positioning- today some kids make a living there- attacking the elbow and what not...same thing with funks (especially down in Milford) Very very different style today, though for sure

Mazz I'd have to disagree, the names I mentioned are not from recent years, care to do a matchup, PFP from this years tournament?
Leverage I'd have to agree with your decades ranking, spot on. Today's lower weights as I said above are technically sound. The upper weights are lacking.
To BIB point. Multi sport athletes, wrestling benefits all other sports. Today's football players not wrestling I just don't get it. It would benefit them greatly, in many ways. The only other sport that taxes you mentally and physically like wrestling is cross county running, and then only if you are in the top tier. The mental toughness to push on when all is hurting and your lungs are about to explode is real.
How would this years team match up at say Disney Duals? Some would do good, some the best part of the trip would be the theme parks,
Pick a year and we can do a duel projection
2019 vs an early 2000 or late 1990s team

Lev the HS I went to in Kansas had kids going to Iowa, Oklahoma, Iowa State, Oki State etc.. every year.. Wrestle offs for the varsity was 6 to 9 kids deep every week,, I didnt wrestle there I played basketball but damn those matches were tough... My buddy Ronnie did and never got past 3 or 4 He did get to wrestle sophomore team a couple times... Just saying

not trying to make any point just talking
Flo just named Kansas as a target to try to get d1 wrestling. Most amount of HS teams in a state without a D1 team. What area were you from. I wrestled a kid from goddard by Wichita who was decent

Last edited:
Ill start off by taking the 2005 State champs Vs. this years in a dual. Down low all points go to CR's heavy hitters and the upper weights spread out would win out as well.
You got McDonald at 103 moser at 112, Meade at 119 Burgos at 125, Diaz at 130, ribolla at 135, cathell at 140, mike Miller at 171 was huge, Jamel jones at 189 had cat like moves, Dj Singletary 215, and Aj. Brooks, Hwt.
I have 2005 for the win, And I'll take the 2004 team, 2003 team, the 1998 team the 1997 team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leverage1991
103 Conner McDonald v Giampietro
112 Ian Moser (CR) v zach spence
119 Alex Meade (CR) v natorcola
125 Jeremy Shaw (StM) v a poore
130 Mike Degliobizzi (SAL) v caruso
135 Andrew Lazartic (SAL) v latch
145 Andrew Bradley (StM) v dean
152 Nick Dominelli (SAL) v hall
160 Andy Bokinski (IR) v o connor
171 Mike Miller (B) v schinder
189 Jamelle Jones (D) v jt davis
215 DJ Singleterry (IR) v hugo harp
275 AJ Brooks (ST) v hudson

2019 wins 113 119 debatable130 135 145 160 215
2005 wins 103 great match 125 152 170 189 hwt

Alot closer than what i thought. Switch to a meade win and it comes down to bonus. My favorite part of 2005 finals was the match between 1st cousins and how cool they were.

Last edited:
Question? Is 119 debatable or are all these debatable 130,135,145,160,215?
I’ll give this years State team, 135, 145 even though Bradly was a senior and 160.
I’ll take 113,119 even though both were Jr’s.
Toss up 130, 215
Have you thought about the possible scores?

Natarcola over Meade? That’s cute. Joey is very good but Meade was another level of wrestling.

Reactions: 84rider
in my opinion, the upperweights have always been lacking skill wise. the rare occasion, the outlier, upperweights with high skill are remarkable. that same skill level at like 152 is like standard. i never ever recall a time when upperweights were highly skilled. its so diluted now, when i wrestled it went 71 89 then heavyweight. now 70 82 95 220 and hvywght. you can pick your spot.

Reactions: Leverage1991
Connor 3
Spence 3
Meade 3
Shaw bonus
Caruso 3
Latch 3
Dean 3
Dominelli 3
O connor 3
Miller 3
Jones 3
Harp 6
Brooks 3

2005 24
2019 21
Just a guess though
Tons of good matches obviously

Natarcola over Meade? That’s cute. Joey is very good but Meade was another level of wrestling.
I remember that 2005 match vividly. Meade was a freshman if I'm not mistaken. I saw cr 3 times that year. I'm going tossup lol. The 2nd time i ran it i went meade, first i went joey.

Reactions: myrealname
Well, lets see your predictions. Youve been around awhile also it seems like
Real always has something smart to say but never puts his predictions. Just like he loves to talk about other schools attitude but hush hush on capes

Last edited:
Mcdonald 3

Moser and Spence toss up...ee forget moser was a 3 time state champ and a 2 time beast placer when bbeast was number 1 tournament in nation so Im giving 3 to Moser

Meade gets 3 or 4

Shaw gets 3 or 4

Degs gets 3...Degs majored Chris Diaz in this finals when Diaz was sophomore.

Latch gets 3

Bradley gets 3...remember Bradley was also 3 timer who placed 3rd at Beast

Myself (Dominelli) gets 3...bias of course

Oconnor gets 3

Miller gets 3

Jones gets 3 or 4

Harp gets 3

Brooks gets 3

33 to 9

Sorry but this is a COMPLETELY bias opinion because 2005 is my year winning it.

Reactions: Dewrestling123
Mcdonald 3

Moser and Spence toss up...ee forget moser was a 3 time state champ and a 2 time beast placer when bbeast was number 1 tournament in nation so Im giving 3 to Moser

Meade gets 3 or 4

Shaw gets 3 or 4

Degs gets 3

Latch gets 3

Bradley gets 3...remember Bradley was also 3 timer who placed 3rd at Beast

Myself (Dominelli) gets 3...bias of course

Oconnor gets 3

Miller gets 3

Jones gets 3 or 4

Harp gets 3

Brooks gets 3

33 to 9

Sorry but this is a COMPLETELY bias opinion because 2005 is my year winning it.
Lol. That's pretty awesome. Good for you. 2005 in a landslide it is !!

And speaking of best teams the 2005 CR team was ranked top 25 nationally. One of best teams I ever seen in DE besides the St. Marks and Hogdson teams who were ranked nationally. I will try and remember their weights

103 - keech maybe? Top 6 in state
112 - Moser...3 timer....2 time beast placer...ranked top 30 nation...went to bloomsburg and made NCAA tourny twice.
119 - Meade....best wrestler tl eve come out of DE. Ranked nymber 1 in Country. Majored Frank Molinaro in Beast finals.
125 - burgos
130 - Chris Diaz...2 timer...VT AA
135 - Brian Ribolla...top 6 in state...took 2md thw following year
140 - Matt Cathell...3 timer...ranked top 15 NCAA
145 - andrew Ribolla?
152 - Matt Shelor...top 6 in state
160 - Dan Rigby...2nd in state. Lost to Bokinsky after he beat him in Conference final
171 - AJ Edwards...4th in state
189 - ???
215 - Steve Bilborough...2 timer....placed at Beast
HWT - Bryan Robinson i think...state champ

Reactions: 84rider
And speaking of best teams the 2005 CR team was ranked top 25 nationally. One of best teams I ever seen in DE besides the St. Marks and Hogdson teams who were ranked nationally. I will try and remember their weights

112 - Moser...3 timer....2 time beast placer...ranked top 30 nation...went to bloomsburg and made NCAA tourny twice.
119 - Meade....best wrestler tl eve come out of DE. Ranked nymber 1 in Country. Majored Frank Molinaro in Beast finals.
125 - burgos
145 - andrew Ribolla?
160 - Dan Rigby...2nd in state. Lost to Bokinsky after he beat him in Conference final
189 - ???

pretty sure Robinson is c/o 2004

125 - burgos
145 - andrew Ribolla?
189 - ???
189 was either kegan Nuss or Matt Rigby, Beau Moore was at 171 I believe. I think Steve Crew was in there around 152 and maybe Shelor at145?

So maybe 160 rigby, moore 171, edwards 89, koch 215, bilborough hwt.

I know shelor was 152 bc i wrestled him at duel states.

Just wasnt positive who was at 145 either

But they basically had 4 Division 1 wrestlers, 2 future AAs, a wrestler who was number 1 in Country, and about 10 of 14 weight classes placed at states...3 of whom were state champs that year.

Moser, meade, cathell took 1st
Rigby, bilbrough, and diaz took 2nd
And i wanna say ribolla, keech, shelor, moore, edwards placed top 6.

All in the 2005 season

But they basically had 4 Division 1 wrestlers, 2 future AAs, a wrestler who was number 1 in Country, and about 10 of 14 weight classes placed at states...3 of whom were state champs that year.

Moser, meade, cathell took 1st
Rigby, bilbrough, and diaz took 2nd
And i wanna say ribolla, keech, shelor, moore, edwards placed top 6.

All in the 2005 season

I believe Moore was c/o ‘04 and Bilbrough didn’t wrestle in states his senior year. I believe he was injured and scratched from the tourney.

“Chris Keech maybe top 6” he was a 2 time state champ. Also, no offense to Zach Spence but Ian Moser was very very good. Don’t forget he’s the one who stopped McDonald from being a 4 timer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT