ADVERTISEMENT

The players deserve more

ThreeZeroTwo

Mascot
Mar 12, 2017
Before I begin my rant, I would like to state the obvious that umpiring is a very demanding and difficult job. I'd also like to request no "well why don't you do it tough guy" remarks in my direction. I'm too lazy to respond to those... the umpiring so far in these playoffs have been disappointing to say the least. Playoffs mean the players need to be at their best performance. This should also stand true for the umpires. In the playoffs, the umpires performance is at an all time high in importance as one call could change the entire game between too very well near equally matched teams. A poor game by these grown men is not fair to the players whom some won't ever play a game again. I don't know what the solution is but these players deserve more! It's sad.

couldnt agree more, unfortunately human error will always come into play no matter the level or type of sport is being played...umps and officials are human and they will make mistakes, i feel bad for the kids but there's a lesson to be learned, adversity will come in many shapes and forms...what doesnt kill you makes you stronger sucks but its true

Last edited:
Reactions: soccer07
Couldn't agree more. Glad you can recognise the importance of good umpiring. Looking forward to seeing you sign up for next season. Usually classes begin in late January. See you there.

That's the problem with umpires they all have egos and take them to the field the person who made the post didn't say any one umpire but one took it personal . It's not about you it's about umpires in general . There are some very good umpires but there are some who need to do a better job !

Before I begin my rant, I would like to state the obvious that umpiring is a very demanding and difficult job. I'd also like to request no "well why don't you do it tough guy" remarks in my direction. I'm too lazy to respond to those... the umpiring so far in these playoffs have been disappointing to say the least. Playoffs mean the players need to be at their best performance. This should also stand true for the umpires. In the playoffs, the umpires performance is at an all time high in importance as one call could change the entire game between too very well near equally matched teams. A poor game by these grown men is not fair to the players whom some won't ever play a game again. I don't know what the solution is but these players deserve more! It's sad.
DMA fan?

Reactions: PitchingInstructor1
Then what are you saying? You made a blanket statement that umpiring has been bad in the state tournament. If youre willing to call out a group of guys who put themselves on the line then shouldn't you be ok with someone calling you out? If you've got nothing nice to say....

Then what are you saying? You made a blanket statement that umpiring has been bad in the state tournament. If youre willing to call out a group of guys who put themselves on the line then shouldn't you be ok with someone calling you out? If you've got nothing nice to say....
Well I guess we all have our two cents. High school umps are high school umps. I watch a college conference playoff game where (even with replay) they missed a safe call at home. I wish the baseball coaches could rate the umps like in softball. Then there should be no question, as the coaches will have made the choice. I do agree, umps should run the game and not be the focus. Ask for help and change things if they are wrong...I'm sure that is all people would ask. Finally, I think all teams should video games as back up.

Reactions: truestatements1
Threezerorwo is a CR grad, he's gotta be a good guy haha, he was simply stating what he/she observed, nothing wrong with that. It was tastefully put out there. He/she didn't mention a certain game or ump....someone took it personally, maybe that particular person had a guilty conscience lol

Reactions: ThreeZeroTwo
Smyrna had a chance to get ahead & blew it regardless of a bad call & Hodgson had a chance to win the game w/out going into extra winnings & blew it....its not always umps. NEVER LEAVE A GAME UP TO AN UMP - GOOD CALLS OR BAD CALLS!!!!!

I've been known to get on an ump or two over the years. I do, however, respect the thankless job that it is. I witnessed the two blown calls in the Smyrna game and do think they directly affected the outcome of the game. I would categorize them as outrageous. I was watching from left field on the game winning hit in extra innings and did think the kid missed third from my vantage point. I at least thought an appeal was warranted and was surprised when one wasn't granted. The safe call at home in the Middletown/Hodgson game was definitely wrong and led to a couple extra runs. Can't really say it caused Middletown to lose as they only managed three hits. Saw the video of the DMA/Appo game missed call at second and can say at regular speed it was bang/bang. I've said all season the umping has been bad but I'm not ready to step up and do the job myself. Glad someone still has the desire to do it.

I've been known to get on an ump or two over the years. I do, however, respect the thankless job that it is. I witnessed the two blown calls in the Smyrna game and do think they directly affected the outcome of the game. I would categorize them as outrageous. I was watching from left field on the game winning hit in extra innings and did think the kid missed third from my vantage point. I at least thought an appeal was warranted and was surprised when one wasn't granted. The safe call at home in the Middletown/Hodgson game was definitely wrong and led to a couple extra runs. Can't really say it caused Middletown to lose as they only managed three hits. Saw the video of the DMA/Appo game missed call at second and can say at regular speed it was bang/bang. I've said all season the umping has been bad but I'm not ready to step up and do the job myself. Glad someone still has the desire to do it.
I'm sorry but how are you gonna make your own calls from watching the game all the way out in left field????

Reactions: steeler41
I'm sorry but how are you gonna make your own calls from watching the game all the way out in left field????
It was implied that from my vantage point I certainly didn't have the best view. Clearly I'm not the only person who thought this. Just saying it should've had the chance to be appealed. Comprende?

It was implied that from my vantage point I certainly didn't have the best view. Clearly I'm not the only person who thought this. Just saying it should've had the chance to be appealed. Comprende?
but you flat out say the one call at home for the Mtown game was wrong....there's no way you or anyone sitting all the way out in left field can be the judge of that. Umps unfortunately don't grant a lot of appealed calls & that is unfortunate for both sides at any given time. Just seems like people are whining saying certain teams shouldn't have won & blaming it on the umps.

There was a picture of the kid missing third big time. I agree though I appreciate all the time and effort umpires put into games. However, umpires need to be better. Can't let calls like this decide a season for teams it just isn't fair.

Reactions: 84rider
but you flat out say the one call at home for the Mtown game was wrong....there's no way you or anyone sitting all the way out in left field can be the judge of that. Umps unfortunately don't grant a lot of appealed calls & that is unfortunate for both sides at any given time. Just seems like people are whining saying certain teams shouldn't have won & blaming it on the umps.
I was sitting right at home plate at that time. Any more questions? He was out. Your team won. Move on. Not whining or blaming the umps in the Middletown game. Read my post again and comprehend it. I was in the outfield at the end of the Smyrna game. Relax.

I was sitting right at home plate at that time. Any more questions? He was out. Your team won. Move on. Not whining or blaming the umps in the Middletown game. Read my post again and comprehend it. I was in the outfield at the end of the Smyrna game. Relax.
Omg you are too much...your whole story is changing with each of my comments. No one sd I have a team...just think it's funny all the ppl on here whining about umps losing games for teams....umps have been an issue for how long?????

Omg you are too much...your whole story is changing with each of my comments.
Hey dude with a whole 10 posts. Nothing in my story has changed. I was in the outfield at the end of the Smyrna game. I was sitting right at home plate at the Middletown game. Are you clueless or slow?

Reactions: soccer07
Hey dude with a whole 10 posts. Nothing in my story has changed. I was in the outfield at the end of the Smyrna game. I was sitting right at home plate at the Middletown game. Are you clueless or slow?
Ohhhh, such a bully. No where here does it say you were at home plate so perhaps you should not be so quick to act like such a child " I at least thought an appeal was warranted and was surprised when one wasn't granted. The safe call at home in the Middletown/Hodgson game was definitely wrong" & so what if I don't post a lot....what business is that of yours?

The DMA/Appo video was a bad angle. If you saw the play from the other side the Appo runner was clearly out.

Ohhhh, such a bully. No where here does it say you were at home plate so perhaps you should not be so quick to act like such a child " I at least thought an appeal was warranted and was surprised when one wasn't granted. The safe call at home in the Middletown/Hodgson game was definitely wrong" & so what if I don't post a lot....what business is that of yours?
Again...When I said I was in the outfield I was talking about the Smyrna game. You inferred that I was in the same place in a totally different game talking about the play at the plate in the Middletown game. That's your problem. Really don't think its that hard to understand. You obviously don't get what this board is about. It's designed to give a forum for opinions. I stated my opinion and you took offense. If you have another opinion you're welcome to express it. State your side as you see fit. But don't say I'm changing my story. You just have a hard time with reading comprehension. And by the way...What are your thoughts on the three plays in question? Do you think the umpires got them right? That's what this thread is about as well as the general job the umpires are doing in the tournament.

Reactions: Bucsnot and 84rider
So where should we get these great umpires from? I can't begin to tell you how many blown calls, in so many different sports I've seen over the years. Much like life, sometimes sports isn't fair.

Idk, maybe somebody could clear up how the umps get assigned. Are these truly their best, the most senior? the only ones available?

Is there any system to determine who are the best. Just a lot of work going in to the games, and the play is faster and competition elevated and stakes are highest. Should be only the top guys out there.

Like Ikey said, life isn't fair. And if these are truly the best guys then so be it. But if it's not, then that part needs to be fixed.

Reactions: 84rider
Again...When I said I was in the outfield I was talking about the Smyrna game. You inferred that I was in the same place in a totally different game talking about the play at the plate in the Middletown game. That's your problem. Really don't think its that hard to understand. You obviously don't get what this board is about. It's designed to give a forum for opinions. I stated my opinion and you took offense. If you have another opinion you're welcome to express it. State your side as you see fit. But don't say I'm changing my story. You just have a hard time with reading comprehension. And by the way...What are your thoughts on the three plays in question? Do you think the umpires got them right? That's what this thread is about as well as the general job the umpires are doing in the tournament.
Yes "opinions"!! Some people come on here w/God complexes and whine & make excuses for why teams lose & honestly,its rather annoying...take the loss and move on. Again, don't leave the game up to the ump, you'll lose every time. My thoughts - the call @ 2nd base was bad, kid missing 3rd - I did not see him miss the bag, bad call @ home - I was not in a position to judge!

Things are getting more heated in this thread than the baseball playoffs themselves. Umps are people, people make errors. This isn't the highest league where you can call into the booth or New York and replay calls. They do what they can, you don't like it then go sign up and become an umpire then you can make horrible calls and get talked about on a public forum. Can't get everything right 100% of the time, and whose to say that what you guys "see" is any more right from what they saw?

Reactions: bballfan27
unfortunately the umpiring is what it is. I used to umpire, its a thankless job with tons of abuse by ridiculous fans, coaches, parents and kids who most of the time are wrong and don't know the rules. There isn't a realistic amount of money to get me to do it again.

But its like any other job in any other walk of life...especially these days. There are some great ones that go above and beyond and deserve top dollar for their services. There are some decent ones trying to do a good job that may or may not cut the mustard. and there are ones collecting a paycheck.

If you see the NFL having issues getting good officiators, what do you think your going to get at the high school level, in little ole Delaware.

The hope is that it doesn't affect the outcome of the game.

My hats off to the umps making an effort...

Yes "opinions"!! Some people come on here w/God complexes and whine & make excuses for why teams lose & honestly,its rather annoying...take the loss and move on. Again, don't leave the game up to the ump, you'll lose every time. My thoughts - the call @ 2nd base was bad, kid missing 3rd - I did not see him miss the bag, bad call @ home - I was not in a position to judge!
This is where your taking it too far with the "God complex" and "whining". I hope your not referring to me. I clearly stated that the bad call at home didn't cost Middletown the game. I can say umps sometimes do cost teams and contribute to them losing. There were two blown calls at second in the Smyrna game and the runner "possibly" missing third. Don't hide behind your computer. Let it be known you're a Hodgson Mom, Dad or player. It's ok. If you were on the other side of the bad calls I'm sure your perspective would be different. Again...This board is for sports discussion and debate. Don't take it personally.

I have no problem with the umpires and have no allegiance to any team. If someone gets their panties in a bunch because another person thought the ump made a bad call please stop. If an umpire takes this personally then time to stop being an ump! No matter what the call you are going to piss 50% of the people off. This is a sports blog. People have opinions and they should be taken as just that opinions. Coaches, fans, umps and players make mistakes. So what! I probably made a mistake writing this response!

This is where your taking it too far with the "God complex" and "whining". I hope your not referring to me. I clearly stated that the bad call at home didn't cost Middletown the game. I can say umps sometimes do cost teams and contribute to them losing. There were two blown calls at second in the Smyrna game and the runner "possibly" missing third. Don't hide behind your computer. Let it be known you're a Hodgson Mom, Dad or player. It's ok. If you were on the other side of the bad calls I'm sure your perspective would be different. Again...This board is for sports discussion and debate. Don't take it personally.
Nothing taken personally....I answered your question honestly w/my "thoughts"....I didn't have a team at either game, just a fan watching ball. Maybe you're a Mtown parent or player & wanted Hodgson to lose against Smyrna so you didn't have to play them again. I mean there's so many variables to EVERYone on here "hiding behind a computer" right!!! .But you're relentless in arguing trying to make your points "facts" & I'll just leave it alone at this point....have a great day!

agree the "God complex" is taking it too far, CHS89 made a comment and i believe bballfan27 did indeed take it personally. its ok to agree to disagree without stating that someone is whinning or crying, if you reread the posts as i just have, its obvious who has the tude, just saying

Reactions: CHS89 and soccer07
agree the "God complex" is taking it too far, CHS89 made a comment and i believe bballfan27 did indeed take it personally. its ok to agree to disagree without stating that someone is whinning or crying, if you reread the posts as i just have, its obvious who has the tude, just saying
gonna take the high road & not even entertain you & your buddy any longer, I have no tude and umps make mistakes & I didn't take anything personally - THE END! As I just told him have a great day!

Last edited:
that's where you are wrong again, not a friend, just disagree with you lol, you still don't get the ideology of a public forum

Reactions: CHS89
Saying "don't leave the game up to the umps" is a very silly thing to say... like I said before, these teams this time of the year are very closely matched meaning the games will be close and yes, umpires calls therefore matter. Is your request for teams to blow one another out to prevent getting cheated ? Cmon.

Reactions: 84rider and CHS89
Sorry, but why don't you do it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT